The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 08-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #101
WeaponXProject
Triple bladed shave.

Default Re: Why Does Everyone Want a Body-Building Captain America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Again, you show nothing but sarcasm. Why don't you back your posts up with FACTS or ARGUMENTS. Trying to make fun of me for liking two actors for a specific role you disagree with just makes you look like an idiot. Defend your point with stuff that is tangible.

Until you do that, we are not in a discussion worth having and you might as well put me on ignore. Cause I will continue to provoke a real argument out of you until you deliver. Sound good?
I have had the same issue with a couple of other posters now. Atfirst I just ask reason behink their thoughts and they mock you and curse at you. It's pointless...try to ignore him.

In space, no one can hear you scream.

The Forever War
WeaponXProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #102
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponXProject View Post
I disagree, you don't need someone that huge to be Captain America. I think as Tony Stark, I envisioned a suave Italian looking guy who didn't look so old but RDJ worked anyway. As for the Hulk, Ed Norton looked nothing like Bruce Banner what so ever and people still accepted him as Bruce Banner.

With Cap, you need muscles, blonde hair and a decent resemblance. But you don't need extraordinary bulging muscles.

So Brad Pitt doesn't have that look? Have you seen Troy? I didn't like the movie but he was a beast in that. Or even his scenes in Snatch...That's a little more realistic than putting Jason Giambi in an outfit.
I don't think anyone here is advocating HUGE muscles. But Cap has to have a strong, athletic look to him. I don't want somebody built like Randy Savage or Lou Ferrigno in the role, but I don't want someone in Michael Keaton's range, either.
I think, realistically, somone around Christian Bale's Batman physique, give or take 20-30 pounds, would be perfect.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #103
WeaponXProject
Triple bladed shave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
I don't think anyone here is advocating HUGE muscles. But Cap has to have a strong, athletic look to him. I don't want somebody built like Randy Savage or Lou Ferrigno in the role, but I don't want someone in Michael Keaton's range, either.
I think, realistically, somone around Christian Bale's Batman physique, give or take 20-30 pounds, would be perfect.
I know, I just get flustered when I see pics of that Steve Rogers guy and other big guys with no talent. I don't think that's what Major, who I was talking to, wants. I can understand how that would be desired but I don't think Marvel will go that route.
I don't think there is anybody in Holywood that is a talented actor that is big like the Steve Rogers actor.
I don't want a small version but a compressed version would make more sense and be more realistic. I don't think anybody wants a wimp to play him.

I am hoping that whoever gets picked does the Bale workout before Batman Begins. Hell, have you have ever seen American Psycho, he is a beast in that too. I definitely hope they have the dedication of Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale for becoming the character.

Also, I like your pic.

The Forever War
Old 08-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #104
Hiruu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller182 View Post
Never said it was about DiCaprio. It was directed at Hiruu's suggestion of Brad Pitt since that seems to be his only basis in his description
I think Brad Pitt is one of many actors who could do a great job in the role, but I've seen too many people posting on absolute no-names with no starring roles to take over these jobs...I'm not for that...absolute not...the first qualification is...is the person a good actor....then it's a matter of ensureing they are dedicated enough to go thru the 6-8 months of trng to get their body up to snuff.

- From By Schism Rent Asunder
Hiruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #105
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

I do think asking a big name actor to do two superhero films back to back is asking a lot though and may make casting Captain America tougher. That's probably the biggest obstacle to overcome.

Thinking outside the box a little, how about Patrick Wilson? 6' 1", American, light haired, and could get a good career boost out of Watchmen, which he won't be doing any sequel for.

Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #106
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruu View Post
I think Brad Pitt is one of many actors who could do a great job in the role, but I've seen too many people posting on absolute no-names with no starring roles to take over these jobs...I'm not for that...absolute not...the first qualification is...is the person a good actor....then it's a matter of ensureing they are dedicated enough to go thru the 6-8 months of trng to get their body up to snuff.
But I wonder what you consider is a good actor. I agree that we need a good actor, but your choice for Brad Pitt seems based on his mutli-leading man roles not on his actual acting ability. If Brad Pitt had mutli-supporting roles would you feel the same way, I wonder?

I agree that Brad Pitt is a valid suggestion. But are you more intrigued by the man or the name? Same guy (talent and experience and all) different level of fame would he still warrant consideration?

Last edited by cerealkiller182; 08-14-2008 at 04:39 PM.
cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #107
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
I know, I just get flustered when I see pics of that Steve Rogers guy and other big guys with no talent. I don't think that's what Major, who I was talking to, wants. I can understand how that would be desired but I don't think Marvel will go that route.
I don't think there is anybody in Holywood that is a talented actor that is big like the Steve Rogers actor.
I don't want a small version but a compressed version would make more sense and be more realistic. I don't think anybody wants a wimp to play him.
The Cap I'd want to see on film would have the physique of Hugh Jackman in the X-men films, Brad Pitt in Troy and Fight Club or Ryan Reynolds in Blade Trinity.

Quote:
I am hoping that whoever gets picked does the Bale workout before Batman Begins. Hell, have you have ever seen American Psycho, he is a beast in that too. I definitely hope they have the dedication of Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale for becoming the character.

Also, I like your pic.
Agreed.

The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #108
WeaponXProject
Triple bladed shave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller182 View Post
But I wonder what you consider is a good actor. I agree that we need a good actor, but your choice for Brad Pitt seems based on his mutli-leading man roles not on his actual acting ability. If Brad Pitt had mutli-supporting roles would you feel the same way, I wonder?

I agree that Brad Pitt is a valid suggestion. But are you more intrigued by the man or the name? Same guy (talent and experience and all) different level of fame would he still warrant consideration?
That's a valid point bc I think I have picked Brad Pitt on his talent and name a little over the look but I think he can adapt to the look. I know I am a little conflicted but I think Marvel wants to have an actor that will sell a 200 million dollar movie rather than the pure look of someone else. I am fine with that but I don't think many fans who have Cap's image of a person in their heads will accept it.

My main issue with comic book movies is that I wanna see a comic book movie but I really want it to be a good to great movie even if they have to change some things.

The Forever War
Old 08-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #109
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Santoro View Post
Ignore him Spider-Fan. He has been obnoxious and useless on every thread he has been on...

Now I don't like DiCaprio for the role, but at least you are putting forward an arguement with reason attached to it.
I would, but I don't use my ignore function. I'm paranoid like that.

As for point 2, exactly. I just love when I give my rational argument for Leo in the role, and I get "Danny DeVito" comments, with no real answer to my points. I can respect anyone who disagrees with me on Leo (like you). However, I can't respect anyone who refuses to make a rational argument when debating me.

Quote:
I have had the same issue with a couple of other posters now. Atfirst I just ask reason behink their thoughts and they mock you and curse at you. It's pointless...try to ignore him.
I am one of those people who answers back when they are taunted...I've got a bit of a bad temper, but at least I can restrain myself from making ban worthy posts.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #110
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:

Also, I like your pic.
Don't leave out Tobey; even he bulked up for his superhero role. Christopher Reeve, too, for that matter.
Which is another thing; they can get somebody who may not necessarily be beefy enough for the role, & he can put on the muscle before they start shooting. The days of the muscles being all in the suit are long gone.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #111
WeaponXProject
Triple bladed shave.

Quote:
Don't leave out Tobey; even he bulked up for his superhero role. Christopher Reeve, too, for that matter.
Which is another thing; they can get somebody who may not necessarily be beefy enough for the role, & he can put on the muscle before they start shooting. The days of the muscles being all in the suit are long gone.
Yeah, I agree with you. Tobey is a great example of a tiny guy who became a beast. I with you.

The Forever War
Old 08-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #112
Rage
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Long gone huh??

I would say that muscle suits are at their peak right now I know that Routh and Maguire had some padding and airbrushed suits to accentuate their forms aswell...but there is still some padding there... A long way from...

Rage

Old 08-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #113
cerealkiller182
Must Get Deadpool Avatar

But Juggie looks awful.

cerealkiller182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #114
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
Long gone huh??

I would say that muscle suits are at their peak right now I know that Routh and Maguire had some padding and airbrushed suits to accentuate their forms aswell...but there is still some padding there... A long way from...

Rage
I said the days of muscles being ALL in the suit are long gone.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #115
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

As opposed to...

Now if the suit has some added touches to enhance your existing musculature, in order to create a look mor ein keeping with the comic book standard, that's fine.

In fact it's commendable. A lot of these guys' builds would just disappear under the costume otherwise. So let us see the muscles. But don't create an artificial illusion when you've got an actor who maybe just needs to hit the gym for a few weeks.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #116
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Now what we DON'T want is some crap like this.

Or this.

Seriously, though-THIS is my image of Cap.

Not this.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:32 AM   #117
Pluto
Side-Kick

Why does everyone want a bodybuilder Captain America?
Well Captain America looks like a bodybuilder. LOL.
I have stayed away from these Captain America movie posts because I just think they casted this movie wrong by choosing Paul Walker. - Last I heard he was one to be the guy unfortunately.
Not only is Paul a very average looking and small built guy but he is not that great of an actor and I always thought this role needed a guy to not only look the part but a guy who can really really portray a strong American soldier. Steve Rogers was always known for his inspiration speeches about America's ideals and his pride in his country. So I guess all hope for having a great actor for this role is dashed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpuw7oH841c

My Favorite Video Right Now.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #118
Rage
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Now what we DON'T want is some crap like this.

Or this.

Seriously, though-THIS is my image of Cap.

Not this.
But Reb Brown isn't wearing a muscle suit...he's just wearing spandex...and hes a big guy. A suit that inhances the actors musculature...not creates it, is what I want.

I don't want a Vinny Jones Juggernaut, I want a Hellboy type body suit worn under clothes to create the illusion of great muscle mass (if the actor selected is not not capable of putting on enough muscle in the short time before filming)

The plus side of getting a skinnier actor (for the first movie) is the ability to be able to play "skinny" Steve Rogers believably.

Rage

Old 08-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #119
WeaponXProject
Triple bladed shave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
I have stayed away from these Captain America movie posts because I just think they casted this movie wrong by choosing Paul Walker. - Last I heard he was one to be the guy unfortunately.
Not only is Paul a very average looking and small built guy but he is not that great of an actor and I always thought this role needed a guy to not only look the part but a guy who can really really portray a strong American soldier. Steve Rogers was always known for his inspiration speeches about America's ideals and his pride in his country. So I guess all hope for having a great actor for this role is dashed.
I don't think Marvel chose or will choose Paul Walker. People would laugh at them. DC would role over laughing so hard. I would....F****** cry!

The Forever War
Old 08-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #120
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
That's extremely debatable, as various pictures have been posted in the thread. When was the last time you saw a bodybuilder doing the acrobatics and fighting moves that you commonly see Captain America do in a comic book? Arguably, a bodybuilder is too musclebound for Cap.

Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #121
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't think Marvel chose or will choose Paul Walker. People would laugh at them. DC would role over laughing so hard. I would....F****** cry!
He might be a better Hawkeye. Walker can be a good actor. He just rarely shows it.

He'd be wrong for Cap.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #122
WeaponXProject
Triple bladed shave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
He might be a better Hawkeye. Walker cna be a good actor. He just rarely shows it.

He'd be wrong for Cap.
Major, this is where we disagree. I think Paul Walker has never done a good job in any movie. I think his voice ruins every movie. He is always a surfer dude and has to say things like, "Yeah, bro."

I see him more as Johnny Storm or a comic book like Ice Man.

The Forever War
Old 08-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #123
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
Major, this is where we disagree. I think Paul Walker has never done a good job in any movie. I think his voice ruins every movie. He is always a surfer dude and has to say things like, "Yeah, bro."
I thought the same thing until I watched Running Scared. He impressed the hell out of me with that movie.

Quote:
I see him more as Johnny Storm or a comic book like Ice Man.
That's a great idea.

Last edited by The Major; 08-15-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #124
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle-Man View Post
I've been reading these forums for quite some time, and what bothers me is that everyone wants to cast some body builder as Captain America. You all want the guy with the square jaw, and the tough guy look. It really isn't necessary, though. We've seen Wolverine, Batman and Superman on screen. We've seen their comic book counterparts. None of the on-screen characters are anywhere near as bulky as their comic book affiliates. Why would you want Captain America to be any different?

A good Cap would be someone who can act well, give the film a serious tone, and express weakness and strength. Every human being has a flaw, and although you may state that "Captain America has no flaws", weaknesses in a person's state of mind can add so much more depth to any character. Other than this, all the actor needs is to be able to put on some muscle. We don't need Cap having an Arnold-type body.
Arnold was a heavy weight. Captain Britain is a heavyweight because he's bigger than Captain America. I think Cap's build should only go as far as middle-weight.

It takes time to build a lot of muscle. Hugh Jackman is more buff after spending more time in the gym.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #125
Pluto
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
That's extremely debatable, as various pictures have been posted in the thread. When was the last time you saw a bodybuilder doing the acrobatics and fighting moves that you commonly see Captain America do in a comic book? Arguably, a bodybuilder is too musclebound for Cap.
LOL. Jean Claude Van Damme comes to mind. Stallone is very flexable too. My cousin is a bodybuilder and he is really big but he can do the splits and is extremely flexable. I used to do gymnastics too and even though I have shapely muscular legs I am extremely flexable. Captain Brit was like a big powerlifter beefy muscleman. Captain America has almost the same muscle except his waist is smaller and overall he is built better.

But hey I didn't know this role was still up in the air!!! I can still have hope that we can get a great actor in this role! As much as I believe it's important to look the part I think that acting the part and being able to have the strong speech making ability is by far number one over having the uber muscle.

I will just have to start checking out the Captain America threads now! Thanks ya'll!

And Paul Walker is a decent actor. But I was hoping for a very very talented actor. Someone who will knock your socks off with his words. As much as I like Damon and his top level acting he is way too short and small and doesn't really resemble Captain America at all. I think I'm leaning toward Matthew Mc. I'll have to think about this. Aaron Eckhart would be perfect but he's too old now. Matthew is getting up there too so I dunno...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpuw7oH841c

My Favorite Video Right Now.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote