The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:24 AM   #76
dark_b
Side-Kick

Default Re: Braking News: At WB they finally speak clearly about Superman

aha so a more dark superman? how is this again good news?

ohhh i get it. desperation so even a tim burton superman would work right?

i sense fear.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:24 AM   #77
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

What can I say? Really

OMG.. I'm absolutely thrilled....

I don't know how they're going to reboot the character but at least there's an attempt. Hopefully, the WB has figured out that getting people with a good background in comics characters like Goyer is the way to go.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #78
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
I guess the complaints of things being too dark should've been not dark enough. Hopefully though, we won't go back to Peter's idea of a dark Superman with a "caged animal quality" and the fericious "eyes of a killer" in our quest for Superman's darkness.

Still, it seems that's that then.

What happens now?
You'll hear a lot of rumors or pseudo-news from Steve, Jett etc. and within a month there will be the official announcement about the release schedule of the movies based on the DC Comics characters.
According to the article, the new Superman movie is a priority, then there is a third Batman movie and 2 movies based on other DC Comics characters (G.L., Flash, WW). They are all "solo" movies, so if we assume that G.L. is a sure thing, only one between Flash and WW will have the honor of a live action flick.
All to be released within 3 years (2009-2010-2011).

Last edited by Ita-KalEl; 08-22-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #79
Nixon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Does this mean no Routh?
I'd imagine very likely.

Suppose it all would come down to just how extensive their planned "reintroduction" is

Old 08-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #80
dark_b
Side-Kick

i wanted Routh back. but since 2 years later they want a reboot i am starting to get angry. if the rebot worked so good with BB then i dont understand why a year later it couldnt work for superman?
so now i didnt get action in SR and in 3 years i will have to wait 60 minutes to get a first action scene with superman? ohhh and he will rescure a helicopter or maybe a boat. f... stupid.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:31 AM   #81
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhaaaaaaaaaaaawwwww w!

The environment can be seen as external memory. Our actions leave traces (such as footprints or marks on rocks) and these enable us to reconstruct the past. In the last six thousand years this was refined into writing, and in the last two hundred years this was further refined into machine technology, enabling us to record more and also extract more of the memories we left behind.
http://cry-for-the-smoon.tumblr.com/
Old 08-22-2008, 07:33 AM   #82
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Quote:
Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.' DC properties. "We're going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it," he says. That goes for the company's Superman franchise as well.
No f***ing thank you.

At this point I don't give a sh** whether it's a reboot or not, WB, but let me know when you're ready to make an ACTUAL Superman movie.

http://jochimus.deviantart.com
Old 08-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #83
dark_b
Side-Kick

Default Re: Breaking News: At WB they finally speak clearly about Superman

was anyone actually expecting official news like that?

obviously TDK changed everything. a new batman bomb and you can say goodbye to those movies hehehe. just joking.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #84
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

It's a good step in the right direction away from the long-decayed corpse of the Donnerverse. Stop your biatchin', Joch.

The environment can be seen as external memory. Our actions leave traces (such as footprints or marks on rocks) and these enable us to reconstruct the past. In the last six thousand years this was refined into writing, and in the last two hundred years this was further refined into machine technology, enabling us to record more and also extract more of the memories we left behind.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #85
Raven X
Straight Edge Soul

well.....as someone who's been wanting a revamp/reboot of the Superman franchise.....this, on the surface, sounds like much welcome news...

the only thing that "bothers" me is that "darkness" comment.

Superman is NOT a dark, brooding, depressing character. Just as Batman is NOT a light, campy, goofy character ( cough....Batman and Robin....cough )....

Old 08-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #86
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK4EVER View Post
Superman is NOT a dark, brooding, depressing character.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:42 AM   #87
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

You're right about Superman, TDK4EVER.

But even the lightest heroes have brushes with the blackest darkness.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:42 AM   #88
Nixon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK4EVER View Post
well.....as someone who's been wanting a revamp/reboot of the Superman franchise.....this, on the surface, sounds like much welcome news...

the only thing that "bothers" me is that "darkness" comment.

Superman is NOT a dark, brooding, depressing character. Just as Batman is NOT a light, campy, goofy character ( cough....Batman and Robin....cough )....
If it means they might get another $500 million movie, for WB he is.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 AM   #89
Jochimus
Autobot Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent of Chaos View Post
You're right about Superman, TDK4EVER.

But even the lightest heroes have brushes with the blackest darkness.
That's what Superman should have a Rogues' Gallery for, but if most of the film is going to center around darkness and evil, we could end up going back to the Burton days where the hero ends up being a minor character in his own movie. I loved Batman Begins because for once we actually got a Batman movie about BATMAN. Superman should have the same internal struggles, but y'know what? He didn't witness the slaying of the entire planet Krypton by Brainiac or whoever. He's not a badass. He's a Boy Scout.

Yeah, I think by the end of the movie he should get ticked and unload a sh**load of property destruction on whoever's threatening Metropolis, but you can't build a whole movie around that for Superman the way you can with Batman.

Last edited by Jochimus; 08-22-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #90
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

And here we go...AGAIN...and hopefully the last time.

I hope by darkness, Robinov mean exploring the darkness in Superman's villains, not Superman himself. Or taking the character more seriously.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #91
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

IMO for "dark" they mean "mature tone" of the movie. A movie that can be considered a fantastic movie even by who doesn't care about the comics.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #92
Paradyme
Please Remain Calm

Sounds good, I'm happy. I think Routh would do just fine as Superman just with a more interesting script. The movie wasn't all that entertaining.

"I just wanna play, I just wanna play a game."
"One that you've never played before. One that you'll never play again, I'm sure."
-Mudvayne-
Old 08-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #93
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Well... goodbye Singer (good riddance)... goodbye Routh (disappointing). I wanted a revamp but not a reboot. We are getting a reboot based on these reports. But if that's the case WB still needs to extend the rights. That's not the biggest problem. But the idea that they are still aiming for 2010... well that's just too soon for a "re-introduction"... I am thinking Green Lantern July 2010 if anything. But I am still holding hope for a Routh/Spacey revamp of Superman even though there is zero percent chance of that. The reboots are way over done these days.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #94
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochimus View Post
That's what Superman should have a Rogues' Gallery for, but if most of the film is going to center around darkness and evil, we could end up going back to the Burton days where the hero ends up being a minor character in his own movie. I loved Batman Begins because for once we actually got a Batman movie about BATMAN. Superman should have the same internal struggles, but y'know what? He didn't witness the slaying of the entire planet Krypton by Brainiac or whoever. He's not a badass. He's a Boy Scout.

Yeah, I think by the end of the movie he should get ticked and unload a sh**load of property destruction on whoever's threatening Metropolis, but you can't build a whole movie around that for Superman the way you can with Batman.
I think you forget about contrast. If you have an invasion from say, Darseid, then there's an irredeemably evil villain that could lay waste to everything Superman loves, and despite all that, Superman still remains a symbol of light (while kicking ass. He's ALWAYS kicked hard ass whether you want to admit it or not).

As long as it's the atmosphere and story that's dark, and Superman overcomes the temptation to bring down complete slaying on those of the other moral side, and still remains who he is in the end, we could have a great movie on our hands.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #95
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

If it is a complete reboot, then Routh and anything connected are gone. If it is a revamp, I can see Routh and maybe Spacey still being on board. Then what though, you still have Jason smiling up at us with his Eddie Vedder haircut.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #96
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
If it is a complete reboot, then Routh and anything connected are gone. If it is a revamp, I can see Routh and maybe Spacey still being on board. Then what though, you still have Jason smiling up at us with his Eddie Vedder haircut.
Make the kid an alien... that's the only way to do it. I am sure you know tons of Superman stories where this would be feasible. But Jason is one of many reasons why it won't be a revamp and it won't be 2010 IMO.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #97
The Batkilt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
I guess the complaints of things being too dark should've been not dark enough. Hopefully though, we won't go back to Peter's idea of a dark Superman with a "caged animal quality" and the fericious "eyes of a killer" in our quest for Superman's darkness.
So....you don't want Sean Penn as Superman?

I'm happy with this news. And I hope that the success of Wanted and Millar stating it's his dream project will lead to him becoming involved. I don't, however, think it means the tone will be the same as TDK. The success of Nolan's films are that they've tapped into the dark nature of the character, but have the themes of hope that exist in the stories. I think thus the most obvious way for Superman to be a success is to tap into the mood of the character, and I think Millar can deliver a screenplay that will please both fans and WB.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #98
The Shredder
Sharp Dressed Man

So the current plan is for a reboot? That's just fabulous as far as I am concerned.

Hopefully WB doesnt plan on going overboard with the 'darkness' aspect they apparently have an affinity for especially now with TDK's success. Last thing I want to see is another scenario where theres a vocal fan backlash to a first draft review where a number of liberties were taken with the franchise (ala Abrams), and thus resulting in perhaps an even extended wait.

But yeah, the reboot essentially being official has me thrilled.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #99
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
IMO for "dark" they mean "mature tone" of the movie. A movie that can be considered a fantastic movie even by who doesn't care about the comics.
I think that's true, when they mean darker and deeper they mean going for a more mature audience and more adult orientated film, not necessarily making it a dark movie, that's not to say it still can't have fantastic elements.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #100
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
So the current plan is for a reboot? That's just fabulous as far as I am concerned.

Hopefully WB doesnt plan on going overboard with the 'darkness' aspect they apparently have an affinity for especially now with TDK's success. Last thing I want to see is another scenario where theres a vocal fan backlash to a first draft review where a number of liberties were taken with the franchise (ala Abrams), and thus resulting in perhaps an even extended wait.

But yeah, the reboot essentially being official has me thrilled.
in the 80's a dark batman was made. it made them money.
-B89 dark (good BO)
-so BR was even more darker . it didnt make B89 money
-so WB thinks its the tone.
-BR more kid friendly. again a lot of money
-B&R even more kid friendly because by WB's logic it will make even more money.of course a complete bomb.

now in 2008 WB agin with their monkey stupid logic.
-kid friendly colorful Speed Racer bombs.
-august dark TDK is breaking records.
-you can bet your ass that superman will be dark. because this is how WB works for years.

Closed Thread