The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 08-24-2008, 12:03 PM   #26
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: Help!? Comic book recommendations.

Kingdom Come

Superman: For Tomorrow, vol. 1 and 2.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #27
Kitsune
Fox of Ages

Teen Titans: Judas Contract is another good one.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #28
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Looks like you got most of the major Batman ones down (though I'd also suggest No Man's Land). Here's a few picks for the other heroes:

Superman: Birthright
All-Star Superman
Superman: Red Son
Superman for All Seasons
Superman: Our Worlds At War
Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
Wonder Woman: Gods and Mortals
The Flash: Born to Run
Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn 1 & 2
Green Lantern/Green Arrow
Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight
Green Lantern: Rebirth
Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps
Justice, vol. 1-3
The New Frontier
Identity Crisis

Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #29
The Eagle Host
The Leaguer

I'm going to un-recommend Justice. That comic sucked.

The Leaguer was innocent.

Xbox Live: Torresaurus Rex
The Eagle Host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #30
Dark Victory
Ogdred Weary

Y: The Last Man
Preacher
Arkham Asylum: Living Hell

Dark Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #31
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Green Arrow: Longbow Hunters
The Question series IN TPB's (currently 2 out of 6 published

Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #32
Shemtov
Banned User

Default Recommendations for a Marvel fan

Hello.
I am a Marvel fan and I am looking to start reading a DC series.
What would be a good book for somebody who is reading:
Thor
Hercules
Captain America

I like "classic-style" books; esspecially with heros with a wide range of colorful villians.

Thanks,
Thor Odinson.

Last edited by Shemtov; 04-06-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Shemtov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #33
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Default Re: Recommendations for a Marvel fan

Find as many back issues as you can of Aquaman Vol 4 i believe, it is epic. Then im sur e you will get a ton of Superman and Batman, recommendations. But I would say go with For Tommorrow on Superman. For Batman either Hush or Year One. Green Lantern, which i think you would like I would say go with Emerald Dawn 1&2 then Emerald Twilight, ION, Rebirth, SCW and then anything Flash you can get your hands on with Wally and the name John's or Waid on it.

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #34
Shemtov
Banned User

Hush, I'm good on my history in TPBs; I'm interested in colecting a modern DC series in floppy .

Old 04-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #35
Shemtov
Banned User

So i'm thinking Flash:Reborn. Would that be a good series for me?

Last edited by Shemtov; 04-06-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #36
JDym
Side-Kick

Thor Vol. 1 by Straczynski is incredible (issues 1-6). I'm reading 600 right now, and that's fantastic

Green Lantern: Rebirth
Green Arrow: Quiver (my favorite thing Kevin Smith has ever done.. Ollie is a great character)
Kingdom Come (once you are familiar with the universe a little bit more)

http://www.twitter.com/jarwatchesfilms
JDym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #37
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Since you already read Thor and Hercules, may I suggest Wonder Woman? Like Thor and Herc, Diana is another warrior-god type character. She's got some colorful villains like Cheetah and Dr. Psycho (okay, he's not so much colorful as he's a woman-hating psychic with Small Man Syndrome), and a gaggle of monsters and mythological creatures. That comic is currently in the middle of a so-so 8-part arc, though.

I also read Green Arrow & Black Canary, which is alright, but Black Canary's villains are never used, and Green Arrow's villains are getting picked off in the current storyline. Really, I'd recommend finding old Green Arrow or Birds of Prey trades.

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #38
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Odinson View Post
So i'm thinking Flash:Reborn. Would that be a good series for me?
Do you mean Flash: Rebirth? If that's so, yes based on what you said you like

Quote:
"classic-style" books; esspecially with heros with a wide range of colorful villians.
Even though I see Wally West as the Flash, Barry Allen is the classic Flash wide a wide range of villains that are written excellently by Geoff Johns. Plus the first issue came out last week and is a good way to start to get into the new direction the Flash mythos are headed.

And if you're interested in non-TPBs, I'd recommend the Green Lantern books. They too provide the "classic-style" with Hal Jordan taking the lead in Geoff Johns' Green Lantern and a strong supporting cast with Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner, Kilowog, Salaak, and Soranik Natu in Peter Tomasi's Green Lantern Corps.

Since you mentioned that you read the Incredible Hercules and Thor, I recommend picking up Wonder Woman. Gail Simone has an excellent take on the character and she has really saved the book plagued by Heinberg's lateness and the horridness of Amazons Attack. She portrays her as a warrior deepled embedded in ancient mythologies.

And personally, I am loving the Superman books right now. Sterling Gates has turned Supergirl around from being a horrid book; James Robinson is creating a wonderful within Metropolis in Superman; and Greg Rucka dealing with the adventures of Nightwing and Flamebird in Action Comics. The catch though is that Superman is not in the books. He's currently in World of New Krypton.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #39
Shemtov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Do you mean Flash: Rebirth? If that's so, yes based on what you said you like

Even though I see Wally West as the Flash, Barry Allen is the classic Flash wide a wide range of villains that are written excellently by Geoff Johns. Plus the first issue came out last week and is a good way to start to get into the new direction the Flash mythos are headed.

And if you're interested in non-TPBs, I'd recommend the Green Lantern books. They too provide the "classic-style" with Hal Jordan taking the lead in Geoff Johns' Green Lantern and a strong supporting cast with Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner, Kilowog, Salaak, and Soranik Natu in Peter Tomasi's Green Lantern Corps.
Thanks I just got Flash: rebirth.
And I might get the GLs.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #40
General Vulcun
Side-Kick

Default A Batman fan looking to expand.

Long time Batman fan here, but I'm looking to broaden my horizons, namely with Superman, The Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman. For someone who has never read any comics that focus primarily on these heroes, what is a good introduction point? Are there any "Year One"-ish type stories that perfectly summarize each hero's origins?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #41
Tron Bonne
There's Evil Here. Within

Default Re: A Batman fan looking to expand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Vulcun View Post
Long time Batman fan here, but I'm looking to broaden my horizons, namely with Superman, The Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman. For someone who has never read any comics that focus primarily on these heroes, what is a good introduction point? Are there any "Year One"-ish type stories that perfectly summarize each hero's origins?
Okay, I'll do my best here.

Wonder Woman: Pretty easy and straightforward with this. Perez's Gods and Mortals serves as her Post-Crisis Year One and all you need to know for her origin really. Simone's The Circle did address her origin some, but only some minor rectoning that didn't really contradict anything from Perez

Superman: Well, this one, unfortunately, isn't nearly as straightforward. Post-Crisis there's been four 'definitive' origins used for Superman, and counting all the side stuff that's seen rectoning and altering, there's probably dozens of things that deal with his origin and first years.

The newest one is Superman: Secret Origin by Geoff Johns & Guy Frank. For now, it's the official, definitive origin for the character. The other three are Byrne's The Man of Steel, Loeb's Superman for All Seasons, and my personal favorite and one I recommend even if you read Johns' story, Mark Waid's Birthright.

Green Lantern: Not too familiar with this one, but I know Emerald Dawn retold Hal Jordan's origin, and then Johns and Reis did a Secret Origin story which also had to do with his origin.

Flash: This one is kind of tricky. If you want Wally West's origin, all you really need is Waid's Born to Run (which is basically Wally's Year One). As far as Barry goes...well, I don't really know so much. He died and was gone before the time of mass origin rehauls, so he hasn't had that much written like that. Flash: Rebirth rectonned a pretty significant piece of his origin, so I guess there's a place to start. However, it got a pretty lukewarm response, even from the big time Johns fans. In the new trade for the relaunched series, entitled The Dastardly Death of the Rogues, there's a reprint of Flash: Secret Files and Origins that briefly goes over this recton. So, you could get a synopsis of that, and see how much you like the series since it's so fresh.

Hope that helps. I'm not too familiar with GL and Barry Allen's Flash, so I'm not sure how definitive that is. And I did only go over Post-Crisis, if you want Pre-Crisis as well, that's probably not all that much difficult than just picking up some of the reprints via Chronicles, Archives and Showcases, of those heroes early years.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #42
General Vulcun
Side-Kick

Default Re: A Batman fan looking to expand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Okay, I'll do my best here.

Wonder Woman: Pretty easy and straightforward with this. Perez's Gods and Mortals serves as her Post-Crisis Year One and all you need to know for her origin really. Simone's The Circle did address her origin some, but only some minor rectoning that didn't really contradict anything from Perez

Superman: Well, this one, unfortunately, isn't nearly as straightforward. Post-Crisis there's been four 'definitive' origins used for Superman, and counting all the side stuff that's seen rectoning and altering, there's probably dozens of things that deal with his origin and first years.

The newest one is Superman: Secret Origin by Geoff Johns & Guy Frank. For now, it's the official, definitive origin for the character. The other three are Byrne's The Man of Steel, Loeb's Superman for All Seasons, and my personal favorite and one I recommend even if you read Johns' story, Mark Waid's Birthright.

Green Lantern: Not too familiar with this one, but I know Emerald Dawn retold Hal Jordan's origin, and then Johns and Reis did a Secret Origin story which also had to do with his origin.

Flash: This one is kind of tricky. If you want Wally West's origin, all you really need is Waid's Born to Run (which is basically Wally's Year One). As far as Barry goes...well, I don't really know so much. He died and was gone before the time of mass origin rehauls, so he hasn't had that much written like that. Flash: Rebirth rectonned a pretty significant piece of his origin, so I guess there's a place to start. However, it got a pretty lukewarm response, even from the big time Johns fans. In the new trade for the relaunched series, entitled The Dastardly Death of the Rogues, there's a reprint of Flash: Secret Files and Origins that briefly goes over this recton. So, you could get a synopsis of that, and see how much you like the series since it's so fresh.

Hope that helps. I'm not too familiar with GL and Barry Allen's Flash, so I'm not sure how definitive that is. And I did only go over Post-Crisis, if you want Pre-Crisis as well, that's probably not all that much difficult than just picking up some of the reprints via Chronicles, Archives and Showcases, of those heroes early years.
Thanks a ton! Can't wait to get started.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #43
Karelia
We Are Groot

Default Re: The Official DC Recommendations Thread

Random suggestions- Good places to start with characters:

Green Arrow: Year One Probably my all time favorite graphic novel, it's great mini-series of the origin of Oliver Queen/Green Arrow, a great place to start reading if you're interested in the slightest about the character as well! The artwork/writing is fantastic, IMO. I've read it at least 5 or 6 times now.

Green Lantern: Secret Origin This another one of my favorites. I love how they explain minor things that other GL stories do not. Examples: Why Abin Sur was flying a ship instead of using his ring to fly. I love Geoff John's work on his GL series. The artwork is fantastic in this one as well.

The Flash: Rebirth Being a fan of Wally West, wasn't sure I was going to like this at first. Once I read it, I really enjoyed it. Barry is more of a good honest man than most super heroes, and I like that about him. It's quite a crime mystery type story. I'd love for them to go that route in the movie, I think it'd be a fun watch. Artwork is excellent in this one as well.

Here's some other of my recommendations:
Batman: Year One
Batman: Hush
The Dark Knight Returns
Booster Gold: 52 Pick Up (Good, light-hearted, time traveling fun)
Lobo: Portrait of a Bastich (If you're into more "funny" type stories. Like Deadpool, if you know what I mean.)

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #44
Frankenmation
Holier than thou

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Stupid Questions thread but:

I saw Green Lantern: Emerald Allies at the comic shop a few days ago, it had Kyle Rayner and Connor Hawke in it. Is it any good? I haven't read a great deal on either character (except for the JLA run) so I'm intrigued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthfiend View Post
DC Comics - like Saw but for your childhood heroes.
http://www.frankcandiloro.com - animation, comics and more!
Frankenmation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #45
Anubis
Sup?

I've heard nothing but good things.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #46
Drz
Real Hero

Hey guys was hoping to receive some help at decision making, due to a pre-order cancellation i got back about 18 pounds of a gift coupon and i wish to use it, i got two options to spent it on and i'd like to hear some advices which one i should pick.
A) Justice League International volumes 1 & 2, collecting: Justice League International #1-13, Justice League Annual #1, and Suicide Squad #13,

JLI has gotten my interests due to the fan love and recommendations i hear about it and the recent new popularity rise this team has received thanks to JLI: Generation Lost and Batman the Brave and the Bold. I love Batman and him being in this team is a good bonus always, but quite frankly i'm more interesting to learn more about the epic bromance that is Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, alongside it has my favorite Green Lantern Guy Gardner and Martian Manhunter is always cool too, alongside it has those wonderful new (for me) characters.

B) B.P.R.D Volumes 10-12, collecting: The Warning 5-issue, The Black Goddess 5 and War on Frogs.

I haven't gotten anything BPRD related in a long while and while Abe Sapien and others aren't my all time favorite characters i really do miss reading about them abit, not to mention while already enjoying 9 whole volumes, we can still see how much praise BPRD receives from it's writing and art. Now i'd have to pay 11 euros extra due to the shipping, while JLI shipment would only cost me 2 euros, so yeah 9 euro difference overall, but i do believe the page amount will be about the same on both decisions, maybe abit more pages on JLI depending how big the annual #1 is, but yeah i'm kinda leaning towards JLI due to being a bigger DC fan, but how amazingly good are those 3 volumes of BPRD? I'd consider War on Frogs to being a big pay off arc or something.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #47
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I'm on a huge Superman tear...I want to thank you guys for recommending All-star Superman...one of the best Superhero comics I've ever read.

Can anyone tell me what I should read next? I've read the following arcs:

All Star Superman
Superman For All Seasons
Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
For the Man Who Has Everything
Man of Steel
Last Son
Brainiac (Geoff Johns)

Where should I go next?

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #48
Tron Bonne
There's Evil Here. Within

Waid and Yu's Birthright is some top notch stuff.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #49
Anubis
Sup?

Secret Identity.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #50
TheCorpulent1
Rory PAOUNCH!
SHH! Global Moderator

"What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" by Joe Kelly and Doug Mahnke.