View Poll Results: Post-Crisis or Pre-Crisis
Post-Crisis Clark is the main identity. 32 78.05%
Pre-Crisis Superman is the main identity. 9 21.95%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #51
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: Post-Crisis or Pre-Crisis

it always amazes me when some who claim to know everything about superman pigenhole STM and pre crisis superman into the same thing...lol...

i bet they dont even realize that 70's clark was a tv newscaster, not a reporter like in STM...its like saying Nolan's Batman is the EXACT same thing as post crisis batman

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #52
Oriin
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
I hate his Superman II and I dont think that the Donner movies are really thaaaat good story wise. I've seen better origins.
So you like toupee's being blown off peoples head and Ice cream hitting the ground?

Donner's Superman II is pretty much what the perfect Superman movie should be.

Oriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #53
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
it always amazes me when some who claim to know everything about superman pigenhole STM and pre crisis superman into the same thing...lol...

i bet they dont even realize that 70's clark was a tv newscaster, not a reporter like in STM...its like saying Nolan's Batman is the EXACT same thing as post crisis batman
Didn't Newscaster Clark switch back to reporter Clark pretty soon?

Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #54
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob $tencil View Post
So you like toupee's being blown off peoples head and Ice cream hitting the ground?

Donner's Superman II is pretty much what the perfect Superman movie should be.
No. I didnt like them at all but i prefer Lester version without the stupid things like Celophane S, memory kiss, etc...

The animated series and the comics are much better than the movies.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:36 PM   #55
Oriin
Banned User

Quote:
No. I didnt like them at all but i prefer Lester version without the stupid things like Celophane S, memory kiss, etc...

The animated series and the comics are much better than the movies.
I'm pretty sure if you remove all the stupid things like the Cellophane S, memory kiss, etc... you would have a movie that well, wasn't a movie it'd be bits and pieces more of a trailer.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #56
SuperDaniel
Banned User

No, for example, I prefer the original opening with the Eiffel Tower, I prefer the initial revelation with Clark tripping and his hands on fire, I dont like the scenes with Marlon Brando, i thought it was a nice change that his mother would do some advice in romantic relationships. Plus, the movie was terribly edited, I HATE the turning back time ending. Anwyays, I dont like Donner's Superman II at all.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #57
Oriin
Banned User

Quote:
No, for example, I prefer the original opening with the Eiffel Tower, I prefer the initial revelation with Clark tripping and his hands on fire, I dont like the scenes with Marlon Brando, i thought it was a nice change that his mother would do some advice in romantic relationships. Plus, the movie was terribly edited, I HATE the turning back time ending. Anwyays, I dont like Donner's Superman II at all.
To each there own, I just felt that Donner's was a better film by far.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:53 PM   #58
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
I know it was SOME KIND of inspiration. And i KNOW It was Marv Wolfman who did it together with Byrne. You do not have to enlighten me in Superman's history.

Post-crisis (AND Pre-crisis) are SOOOOOO much diferent than DONNER'S LUTHOR that its not funny. He doesnt hang around with stupid goons or bimbos, do wisecracks all the time, is interested in LAND and more LAND. And thank god there is no OTIS or KITTY KOWALSKY, whatever.

Donner's Luthor is similar to the Ruby Spears cartoon one and that was kinda of a middle term between both his and Marv Wolfman's.

Wolfman was inspired and improved sooooooo much.

I hate Donner's Luthor, i thought he got it totally wrong. I just cant take that character seriously at all except for some scenes.

That being said, I prefer the Birthright version without the Smallville origin.
I find Post-Crisis Luthor to be a mix of Donner/Hackman's Luthor and the Kingpin. I liked Pre-Crisis Lex, esp 70's Lex, much better.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:11 AM   #59
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

post crisis superman as the real identity, but clark kent as a necessary personality.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #60
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

I'd hope everyone has learned by now that Pre-Crisis Superman does not work on the big screen in this century.

Post-Crisis is the only way to go and the only version of that character that will make Superman awesome again in the eyes of the general audience.

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!

NotFadeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:33 AM   #61
Oddzball
Side-Kick

There are two quotes of Supes that really stick to my memory. From the Lois & Clark show. "This - flying around being Superman is what I do. Being Clark Kent is who I am!.

The other is from the Conduit/Pipeline story arc. Clark has abandoned the Spandex and is full time trying to protect his parents, who are being stalked by Conduit. He has no choice but to save the life of their current landlady and clearly survives damage that a least should have hospitalized him. He explains "I'm Superman."

And realizes "I'll ALWAYS be Superman!" And we the readers, see this is not just his description but his damnation.

Clark, son of Jonathan and Martha Kent is the foundation of the character. The Costume and Personna are just a way for Clark to help others and still have a personal life.

Last edited by Oddzball; 08-29-2008 at 12:39 AM. Reason: typo corrections. You can see the original mistakes in the quote for post #62
Oddzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:35 AM   #62
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddzball View Post
There are two quotes of Supes that really stick to my memory. From the Lois & Clark show. "This - flying around being Superman is what I do. Being Clark Kent is who I am!.

The other is from the Conduit/Pipeline story arc. Clark has abandoned the Spandex and is full time trying to protect his parents, who are being stalked by Conduit. He has no choice but to save the life of their current landlady and clearly survives damage that a least should have hospitalized him. He explains "I'm Superman."

And realizes "I'll ALWAYS be Superman! And we the readers, see this is not just his description byt his damnation.

Clark, son of Jonathan and Martha Kent is the foundation of the character. The Costume and Personna are just a way for Clark to help others and still have a personal life.
Amen

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!

NotFadeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:35 AM   #63
Oddzball
Side-Kick

Quote:
Donner had little to do with the Second Movie. It was mostly Richard Lester's work.

Compare the hero trashing scenes in it with the hero Trashing scenes in "Robin and Marian".

Or his Musketeer films, including that awful 3rd one with Kim Catrall as M'Lady's murderous daughter. Lester doesn't just hate heroes, he readily empties his bladder on them.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #64
SuperDaniel
Banned User

^ I meant the Richard Donner Cut. I thought it was terrible.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:49 AM   #65
Oddzball
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
Didn't Newscaster Clark switch back to reporter Clark pretty soon?
It occured when the movie was in production and released images made it clear Clark was a newspaper reporter in the film.

Now the TV anchor job was just bad. Maggin even pointed out the fatal flaw of it in his "Last Son of Krypton" novel. Clark's fear was there'd be an interview with Superman and it'd end and there'd be the face of Clark Kent in it's place.

Julie Schwartz tried to modernize the character to fit in with the 70s. Newspapers were disappearing, had been for over a decade.

The problem was the choice of TV. You need a cameraman and sound guy says the Unions. So Clark has to ditch guys Clark cannot ditch and keep his job.

Ideally he'd have worked for a 24 hour news radio station. All he has to do is report in over a phone or a radio. No one with him, usually not in the station itself but in touch enough to catch reports of emergencies and so on.

But. I wasn't consulted by them back then.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #66
Oriin
Banned User

wait.. you were consulted?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #67
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
post crisis superman as the real identity, but clark kent as a necessary personality.
Right on.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #68
Thomas Wayne
Side-Kick

Quote:

And realizes "I'll ALWAYS be Superman!" And we the readers, see this is not just his description but his damnation.

My sentiments exactly! Its like a job for him.

Thomas Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #69
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Being Superman isn't a job for him. A job is something you can get tired of doing. It's not a damnation because that's a form of punishment. Superman doesnt get tired of helping people. It's his calling, and when you're doing that you don't hate it, you enjoy it. He is Superman.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #70
Thomas Wayne
Side-Kick

I didn't mean it like that. I meant that he does it as something that is a part of his life not his entire life.

Thomas Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #71
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Oh ok.

But I believe it's his main purpose in life.

Last edited by The Sage; 08-29-2008 at 05:42 PM.
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #72
SuperDaniel
Banned User

^Yes.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #73
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:

That's not how Jerry Siegel intended it to be, nor did he ever write Superman that way.

So no.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:16 PM   #74
Crook
Banned User

The development of these characters don't end with their creators, nor do they strictly adhere to original intentions. Especially after several decades and reinterpretations.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #75
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Cool Re: Post-Crisis or Pre-Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
Word.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think that is DCAU Superman. I'll say one thing. My biggest worry is not Superman, but Lex Luthor. I never liked Donnerverse Lex Luthor, and I never will.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote