The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 09-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #26
Crook
Banned User

Default Re: What should Krypton look like?

Krypton should have it's own identity. If people are going "oh, that looks like a planet from Star Wars", then they've failed.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #27
dark_b
Side-Kick

i know that people will attack me. but in star wars you have humans from earth with aliens. so its obvious that human arhitecture will be influenced.

but why would krypton on the other side of the universe have buildings

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #28
GoblinWhirlwind
Calibrations

They're humanoids, of course they're going to build shelters of some sort. If ancient humans are going to do it, then of course a greatly advanced race will also do it.

- Garrus

deviantart: http://jbot-photography.deviantart.com/

GoblinWhirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #29
dark_b
Side-Kick

ok maybe buildings was the wrong word.

but it should not look like its from earth. thats why in S:TM it looked so alien.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #30
GoblinWhirlwind
Calibrations

I've always hated the crystalline look. It'd be cool if it were mixed with other materials, but not just solely by itself.

- Garrus

Old 09-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #31
dark_b
Side-Kick

its not liked today. but it is very different.

its really hard IMO to make an alien city with kryptonians and not make it like its from star wars.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #32
Crook
Banned User

That's assuming SW-style is the only way to make an alien world. You'd have to have pretty limited imagination or lack of viewing other media to state such a thing.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #33
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crook View Post
That's assuming SW-style is the only way to make an alien world. You'd have to have pretty limited imagination or lack of viewing other media to state such a thing.
give me some examples.
you have a lot of future city pics on the internet.
make it alien without the influence from our world.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #34
Crook
Banned User

Why would you assume it'd be wholly different from our architecture? They're humanoids and logically speaking they'd probably build objects close to how we would, only their works would be far more advanced.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #35
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why would you assume it'd be wholly different from our architecture? They're humanoids and logically speaking they'd probably build objects close to how we would, only their works would be far more advanced.
this is not how this works but OK maybe in a movie it could work.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #36
ironman29758
Side-Kick

a mixture of Krypton's

John Bryne's Krypton, Birthright Krypton, Donner/Singer Krypton, the Superman Tas Krypton, Smallville's Krypton, Geof John's Krypton, Superman's Red Son Krypton/earth, the Silver Age Krypton, LOSH Krypton/Kandor, Early Seigel and Shushter Krypton

ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #37
MattBearPig
Banned User

Sort of like a very advanced and bustling city but instead of having trees and bushes and things like that, they have different colored crystals. It should look like a place you'd want to live and the whole "cold/emotionless" Byrne Krypton doesn't seem very tragic when it explodes because their way of life was really horrible.

MattBearPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #38
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBearPig View Post
Sort of like a very advanced and bustling city but instead of having trees and bushes and things like that, they have different colored crystals. It should look like a place you'd want to live and the whole "cold/emotionless" Byrne Krypton doesn't seem very tragic when it explodes because their way of life was really horrible.

The reason Byrne's Krypton is tragic isn't soley because the planets demise but because they had become so cold and sterile. The planets death was the final closure to it. It was the motivation for Jor-El to rescue Kal-El and send him off to, hopefully, a better life.

You see, Krypton blowing up is sad because it could have been much more. It had the technology, it had the intelligence, it had Jor-El who could have been a champion of the return to greatness... but it's all lost now. Jor-El's one hope is that Kal-El will live the kind of life that bespeaks the kind of greatness that the father had hoped he could bring to Krypton. It's a more adult approach rather than having Kal-El spend his life crying over the death of a planet he never knew.

edit: NO TO THE CRYSTAL FOREST. What do Kryptonians eat? Quartz? Krypton has to have vegetation and animal life. Not just for food... but vegetation creates atmosphere... animals imply evolution...like how the Kryptonians evolved into men and women.

Last edited by DavidTyler; 09-06-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: to address the friggin crystal statement
DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #39
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Krypton should have it's own identity. If people are going "oh, that looks like a planet from Star Wars", then they've failed.
My scanner isn't working....

Can someone please post a picture of Byrne's golden city spires of Krypton?

Until then, here's a brief description:

visualize a golden horn like the angels would use with it's fluted side resting on the ground below while it's shaft shot hundreds of miles into the sky. The shaft has many verticle segments through which you can see the city components within. Tall inner structures shooting up as tall as the outside -laced with windows, decks, and transport tubes. You can see activity -flying vehicles and the like - within. It gleams in the sunlight. In the distance you can see several other tall, golden city spires and they all rest in unspoiled green landscapes with living flaura and fauna. It's as if the Kryptonians had finally come to peace with their environment in a way we would hope to be able to in our future.

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #40
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Quote:
Obviously not EXACTLY like that, but it should be similar. Think acient Roman/Greek style buldings with ultra advanced technology.

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #41
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

no ice planet. the FoS should have that architecture, but the entire krypton doesn't need to be.

M.O.Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #42
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Something that has nothing to do with Donner's Krypton.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #43
Steelsheen
Iconic

just to be a little different, what about some nice crystalline structures reminiscent (but not exactly like) of the Fortress but set in the cloud planet like Bespin?

M A D N E S S
IS LIKE GRAVITY
ALL IT TAKES
IS A LITTLE
PUSH

Join the newest Maze Runner Community built by Gladers for Gladers! http://themazerunner.net/forums

Follow me on Twitter: All the Geekery @Steelsheen | MazeRunner @DashnerGeek | Divergent @SteeleDivergent

Steelsheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #44
dark_b
Side-Kick

what about a city that reflects itself? like a liquid silver like mateiral . something that is interesting for the eyes.
and maybe some colorfull sky. b

Old 09-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #45
MichaelEsquire
Side-Kick

Krypton will be seen the way it's described in the script. Since there is none yet and none of us have any influence on that (unless they buy my treatment...yes, I laughed at that statement to), we don't know what it will end up being. I'm sure that we all agree and I'm pretty sure that Warner Brothers will agree that we move on from anything Donner did since it is a reboot which means starting from scratch as if the other movies didn't exist.

MichaelEsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #46
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Do a combination of the modern Krypton (which itself is a combination of the Silver Age and Donner Kryptons) and TAS Krypton.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #47
GoblinWhirlwind
Calibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.Steel View Post
no ice planet. the FoS should have that architecture, but the entire krypton doesn't need to be.
Personally, I like the Fortress to look how it was in Justice. Just a grand palace, filled with things Superman has collected that are important to him.

- Garrus

Old 09-09-2008, 06:50 AM   #48
afan
Side-Kick

Keep in mind that the look of Krypton should also be indicative of a society that is fairly restrictive to creative thinking by individuals as it is the refusal on the part of the planet's ruling authority to accept Jor-el's conclusions that doomed them.

Donner's Kryptonian design certainly accomplished that feeling. Though the ice palace look is not necessary, the architecture and living quarters of Krypton's cities should be uniformly restrictive and somewhat un inspired by artistic innovations.

Utopian societies usually include a freedom and acceptance of creative thought. A design concept based on a utopia would seem incongruous with the severe un-acceptance of the findings of Krypton's leading scientist.

Last edited by afan; 09-09-2008 at 07:09 AM.
afan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 AM   #49
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
Keep in mind that the look of Krypton should also be indicative of a society that is fairly restrictive to creative thinking by individuals as it is the refusal on the part of the planet's ruling authority to accept Jor-el's conclusions that doomed them.
No. The destruction of Krypton should be a kind of almost-impossible event, so the refusal to believe it should make some sense.

Quote:
Utopian societies usually include a freedom and acceptance of creative thought. A design concept based on a utopia would seem incongruous with the severe un-acceptance of the findings of Krypton's leading scientist.
Krypton is supposed to be Earth turned into an utopia.

Paradise lost. You know.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #50
Ultimate_Superman
Banned User

To be honest if this is to be a new movie with a new origin I kind of like Mark Goerner design for Krypton.

Ultimate_Superman is offline   Reply With Quote