The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 09-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #76
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Default Re: What should Krypton look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
Semantics.
It's part of the character. As soon as you make Krypton a place that "deserves to be blown up" and steal the humanity you loose.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #77
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
It's part of the character. As soon as you make Krypton a place that "deserves to be blown up" and steal the humanity you loose.
When did I say anything about stealing krypton's humanity or vouch for krypton deserving to be blown up. Is that the limit of your imagination? I'm talking about letting loose creatively with the elements you can change without destroying the mythos. Keeping the kryptonians capacity for the human equivalent of empathy love and compassion while changing them into something a little bit more realistic as far as exterior appearances are concerned is a far cry from just making them emotionless piles of protoplasmic crap.

And I'm not saying Superman should look like an alien either. Just regular, un-altered, non-special kryponians existing on their native planet.

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 09-09-2008 at 01:28 PM.
StarvingArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #78
SuperDaniel
Banned User

^Yes.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #79
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTyler View Post
And I second that...

Byrne's Krypton on the big screen would be amazing.

Maybe even the best science fiction landscape on film since the better Star Wars vistas.
Blade Runner > Star Wars.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #80
Crook
Banned User

BR has amazing landscapes, but SW created actual worlds. The sheer scope and vast variety of visuals presented in those films are just unmatched.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #81
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_Superman View Post
To be honest if this is to be a new movie with a new origin I kind of like Mark Goerner design for Krypton.

I do like these a lot.

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #82
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
I do like these a lot.
me to...

Old 09-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #83
Thinkton
Side-Kick

You gotta remember Superman Fortress of Solitude represents superman home at the artic.

Thinkton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 PM   #84
SuperDaniel
Banned User

http://www.dylancolestudio.com/

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #85
Batspider77
"SPOILER JUNKIE"

It should have strange Alien Forests like the Star Wars Planet felucia

http://www.starwars.com/databank/loc...cia/index.html

and of course big Hightec Citys and maybe some kind of Pyramids or maya like Buildings.

Batspider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:43 PM   #86
hammy
American Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Zodak
Ok... If this "Reboot" ends up being an origin movie, and we (possibly) get to see Krypton in the film, what would you want the planet to look like? An cold ice world like we got in the old movies? An evolved planet similar to Earth? Like in the classic comic books (colorful and bright, with cities filled with art-deco towers?)

If you could choose the type of world you would want Krypton to look like, what type of world would you choose?
Definitely not the ice world. I do like Goerner's concept, but I'd prefer it not be quite so futuristic looking. I'd like that concept but for it to look more like earth and be colorful and bright.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #87
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_Superman View Post
To be honest if this is to be a new movie with a new origin I kind of like Mark Goerner design for Krypton.

What I think I like best about this is the futuristic alienness of it and that it's a pretty unique depiction that still recalls my beloved Byrne Krypton.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #88
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

I want to see the Scarlet Jungle.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #89
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
I want to see the Scarlet Jungle.
There is nothing that says the Scarlet Jungle can't be part of that artists conception.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #90
Metropolis_Man
Collectin' ain't easy!

I really liked the style in "Last Son of Krypton" in the Superman Animated series

Old 09-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #91
Changeling
Banned User

Ehh..I don't know. I never did like their Krypton designs.

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:57 AM   #92
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
The reason Byrne's Krypton is tragic isn't soley because the planets demise but because they had become so cold and sterile. The planets death was the final closure to it. It was the motivation for Jor-El to rescue Kal-El and send him off to, hopefully, a better life.

You see, Krypton blowing up is sad because it could have been much more. It had the technology, it had the intelligence, it had Jor-El who could have been a champion of the return to greatness... but it's all lost now. Jor-El's one hope is that Kal-El will live the kind of life that bespeaks the kind of greatness that the father had hoped he could bring to Krypton. It's a more adult approach rather than having Kal-El spend his life crying over the death of a planet he never knew.

edit: NO TO THE CRYSTAL FOREST. What do Kryptonians eat? Quartz? Krypton has to have vegetation and animal life. Not just for food... but vegetation creates atmosphere... animals imply evolution...like how the Kryptonians evolved into men and women.
Your post crisis bias is showing, and its hysterical

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:24 AM   #93
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Really...?

So it's more realistic for you to cry over a relative you never knew you had?

Or is it because the Krypton in that later version isn't the simplistic, 1950's science fiction of the Silver Age?

YOUR Pre-crisis bias is showing?

And, having grown up during DC's Silver Age, I think I have a pretty clear perspective on that period in comix history. I'll take the more well thought out origin every time.

Yes, I have a bias... toward writing with more depth. I didn't grow up just reading comix.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:40 AM   #94
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
You know: No hope & dark & dystopia = realistic

Old 09-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #95
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
You know: No hope & dark & dystopia = realistic

Cheery & bright & colourful & utopia = realistic?

If you bring anything down to it's simplest terms, it's going to sound weak.

The fact is that there is more depth to the post crisis Krypton than the pre.

Post crisis Krypton has a long history of bare chested, vibrant warriors with deep passions. Those warriors were celebrated and honored. They lived very exciting lives. More exciting than Birthright. A very tactile society. Then, as time passed, Krypton became more technologically advanced. The culture of Krypton began to become less physical and more cerebral which led to that society becoming less passionate in the ways of life and more so in the ways of learning. What sounds like a good thing at first has it's repercussions.... that same advanced society begins to disdain the pursuit of love and extroversion in favour of a more restrained life. Lives that could be approved of by the extreme right wing on our world. It was a tragedy in that it gave up the very thing that makes us want to live.

So, having said that - let's see you rebut with pre crisis Krypton's history and facts.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #96
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

deleted - double post

Old 09-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #97
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:

Post crisis Krypton has a long history of bare chested, vibrant warriors with deep passions. Those warriors were celebrated and honored. They lived very exciting lives. More exciting than Birthright. A very tactile society. Then, as time passed, Krypton became more technologically advanced. The culture of Krypton began to become less physical and more cerebral which led to that society becoming less passionate in the ways of life and more so in the ways of learning. What sounds like a good thing at first has it's repercussions.... that same advanced society begins to disdain the pursuit of love and extroversion in favour of a more restrained life. Lives that could be approved of by the extreme right wing on our world. It was a tragedy in that it gave up the very thing that makes us want to live.

So, having said that - let's see you rebut with pre crisis Krypton's history and facts.
And makes Superman in the end lucky that he could escape this hell. Sorry, it just doesn't do it for me. Some people can't live with some fantasy, can they?

Old 09-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #98
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Really...?

So it's more realistic for you to cry over a relative you never knew you had?

Or is it because the Krypton in that later version isn't the simplistic, 1950's science fiction of the Silver Age?

YOUR Pre-crisis bias is showing?

And, having grown up during DC's Silver Age, I think I have a pretty clear perspective on that period in comix history. I'll take the more well thought out origin every time.

Yes, I have a bias... toward writing with more depth. I didn't grow up just reading comix.
You somehow think that how krypton is presented has some correlation to how clark feels about krypton...which makes NO DAMN SENSE, considering that Donner's krypton has the same cold sterile environment....and donner's Superman embraces his heritage, or else he wouldnt spend his time in the Fortress of Solitude listening to holograms of his parents

Crying over relatives he didnt know he had? Uh....that tends to happen when you've been ADOPTED...you kinda...I dunno...wonder about the place where you actually came from...and then, you continue to have a skewed view on pre crisis despite the fact that you've lived during the silver age....silver age clark didnt seem to cry so much to me...he was just a man that honored where he came from and also honored where he was going...how that is less adult than saying "Screw where my roots came from", baffles me...but then again...obviously, you're sadly biased. I dont have a pre crisis bias...Post Crisis offers great story complexity but most of the ideas were lacking...Pre crisis had concepts and ideas that were great, but shallow storytelling

And the main point of how biased and mind-bendingly ridculous your statement was is that what you said about "The tragedy of krypton"...can be pretty much said...about...every version of krypton...you pretentiously claim to be about depth, but you clearly cant see further than what's right in front of you if all you got from silver age krypton was "Durrrr, 1950's Sci fi"...when psycologists have written books based on research of silver age comics....

Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #99
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:

So, you've lived through the silver age, and never heard of the 1979 mini series world of krypton?

Yeah...you're full of it...nothin to see here, folks...

Old 09-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #100
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

A mix of Byrne's and Goerner's FTW.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote