The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 09-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #101
WormyT
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you think a Superman film scence can hold as much emotion as this?

Superman, "I'm always around"

END

WormyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #102
bunk
superhero fan

Default Re: Do you think a Superman film scence can hold as much emotion as this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Not really. There were several points in the film where he shows great, almost blind, admiration of Batman. He starts to doubt him during the last hostage situation, but Gordon definitely admires Batman more often than not.

- "I like to remind them that he's out there."
- All the instances where he lets Batman survey a crime scene before the MCU, even when Ramirez gets upset.
- "He's in control."
- "Well, maybe Batman will save you."
- "Thank you." "You don't have to thank me." "Yes, I do."
- "No, you can't. You're NOT."
Not his feelings or view of Batman. The way he makes a speech about it.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #103
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Who gives a crap if it was forced or not? I loved it so I don't give a **** if people moan about it or not...

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #104
Pickle-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
Who gives a crap if it was forced or not? I loved it so I don't give a **** if people moan about it or not...
Welcome to the world of people who liked SR....

Short, Round, All Around Nice Guy :)

RIP Venom71...
Pickle-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #105
the GRIN Reaper
Banned User

LOL @ Guard. Wow. What's the point in even discussing. From the sounds of it, TDK was one terrible Batman movie.

the GRIN Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #106
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Most poignant post about this topic yet.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #107
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle-El View Post
Welcome to the world of people who liked SR....
In the end, isn't it all like that? Plus i see no reason to discuss Batman here in a Superman forum and spend pages and pages and pages on it.

Ps: If you didn't like Dark Knight, you are part of a veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy small minority. If you didn't like Sr, you have brains!

LOL

*Just kidding

Old 09-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #108
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

I really don't think that scene would have been the same without it. I would even go so far as to say that it left some hope at the end of a somber movie.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #109
SuperDaniel
Banned User

^For sure. I thought the scene was great. Forced and cheesy? Yeah. But it worked!!

Old 09-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #110
BATZARRO WWD
Campeador Boricua

Quote:
In the end, isn't it all like that? Plus i see no reason to discuss Batman here in a Superman forum and spend pages and pages and pages on it.
Well, this IS a direct comparison thread. It can't go any other way! But I am surprised there's so many pages to what amounts to "can a Superman movie ever be as good as a single scene from TDK?" Come on, we don't even know who's directing acting and casting, and some of us are already wondering if it can be as good as a single speech? How about this: Let's not measure the next Superman movie on "Dark Knight" standards(whatever that means to you). Let's measure it on it's own, by it's on quality as a movie. When it's done. Not before.

BATZARRO WWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #111
I Am The Knight
In the Welsh

I had more problems with the implications of the ending scene than with Gordon's speech, which was obvious and redundant, by the way, because Nolan feels like he needs to explain to the audience what we have just seen...And can digest and make up our own conclusions on the matter later...But I did like it. It's certainly not elegant, as one poster said, but somehow it worked for me.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood.
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #112
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
I could see how this whole "visual language" stuff could be confusing if you're not accustomed to thinking about cinema in these terms. If you want further explanation, you can check out my post on Jim Emerson's blog regarding M. Night Shyamalan. My post begins: "Ah, I didn't know that you actually read these posts." Here's the link: http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/2...e_happeni.html
Lucid seems to have gone AWOL, (which is a shame since I liked his/her posts) but I finally saw The Sixth Sense in its entirety on TV last night, and for being the best film for someone he touted as a "visual" director, there is a TON of dialogue exposition in that film. Most of it is exposition, actually. Moody exposition shots with long takes.

And it works for that movie, because it's a story about a disturbed little boy that nobody knows much about. The same treatment doesn't work for many other premises, which is what we discovered about Shyamalan as of late, unfortunately. True, Shyamalan also conveys a lot of little, unconscious things visually, but so does any other director worth his salt, including Nolan. Shyalaman's directing style is best suited to extremely intimate situations filled with uneasy dread. Nolan's directing style is best suited to more immediate, kinetic, and tense situations.

Anyways, the moment of emotional punch in a Superman movie doesn't have to be on par with what we were given in TDK. It has to be on par with itself, so I hope we get a director who knows what the film is going to be and how to shoot it accordingly.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #113
drunkhomer
Side-Kick

oh man, the ending for the dark knight was just EPIC, it was sooo touching....

best movie ending ever!

soo nooo i dont think any superman scene ca be as goood

Old 09-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #114
El Payaso
Banned User

no it caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan't

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #115
Anubis
Sup?

I'd end the movie like this.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #116
hatebox
Side-Kick

We'll never know of course, but it'd be interesting to see if all the people who disliked Gordon's speech in TDK would tolerate exactly the same dialogue in a comic book.

I personally felt like it was a speech that could have come straight out of a graphic novel. It's all inherently corny at heart, doesn't mean it can't be effective. And affecting.

Last edited by hatebox; 09-19-2008 at 03:47 PM.
hatebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #117
Crook
Banned User

How many of those scenes are there? I swear I just read like 3 different dialog exchanges with Lex in the same exact room talking to Supes on the other side of the glass.

Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #118
Anubis
Sup?

The ones in this thread? They're from the same story. Lex Luthor: Man of Steel.

Theres another one, from All-Star Superman. That one is awesome. I'll scan it when I get home.

Last edited by Anubis; 09-19-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #119
The Sage
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
The ones in this thread? They're from the same story. Lex Luthor: Man of Steel.

Theres another one, from All-Star Superman. That one is awesome. I'll scan it when I get home.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Ah, the one when Lex blames Superman for preventing from saving the world?

Old 09-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #120
Anubis
Sup?

That's okay, but I prefer the one where he's in prison and Supes is dying and asks him why he didn't spend all of his time and genius trying to solve the worlds problems instead of trying to kill him. How they could have been friends. And then Lex just spits at him. Or is that the same scene?

Last edited by Anubis; 09-19-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #121
Anubis
Sup?

This one.

Last edited by Anubis; 09-19-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #122
El Payaso
Banned User

^

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #123
SuperDaniel
Banned User

^That an awesome moment.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:08 PM   #124
The Sage
SHH! Global Moderator

Not trying to outdo Anubis, but I think this was a good moment as well.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #125
Anubis
Sup?

Yeah. ASS is just full of awesome s**t. (yes, i'm aware of how that sounds)