The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How strong?
Spider-Man Strength (10 tons max lift) 10 9.26%
John Byrne Era strength (asserts a lot of effort for lifting jet planes and cruise ships) 77 71.30%
Planet Mover 21 19.44%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2006, 03:36 AM   #26
dark_b
Side-Kick

Default Re: flying changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooklyn
^^ Were you wearing a blindfold as you watched the trailer? You're seriously overexhaggerating to try and make a point.

The airplane sequence in SR is the only time I really thought Superman was brought back in a good way in terms of flight. Dynamic angles, extreme adrenaline rush, basically felt like you were right there with him. Unfortunately, the rest of the film featured a static cam panning up/down/left/right as Superman flew by. Not terribly exciting by any means.

If Singer intended for us to watch the flying from the public's perspective, and awe at the sight..then yes, he succeeded. But he also has to add in that much needed "spark" to spruce things up. Flying can be inspiring, but it can also be damn cool. No reason why one has to overshadow the other.
this is what i also think. and this is why i opened the thread and then it was deleted.

someone please explain me how is it possible that they made so much CGI in decemeber? and with SR we had to wait until may. why? we know the answer ,some people just dont want to belive it.

back on topic. i want to see the camera going crazzy when he flys. of course in action. in epic slow flying the camera should be very slow. but show us something new. dont just have the camera on the left side of brandon and than in post put the background. this is boring and nothing fresh.
singer likes to tell a story so much that he doesnt care about teh action and teh CGI stuff. so at the end he makes it only because he has to. thats just my opinion. i hope he will prove me wrong.

Last edited by dark_b; 12-27-2006 at 03:41 AM.
dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:27 AM   #27
ROBOCOP CPU001

the flying sequences were amazing in Superman returns.. the only problem was even for simple shots..they used the cgi brandon.. some of the best shots were when Real Brandon and lois fly together.. less cgi..more brandon..and i was sick to death of vertical take offs..i would love to see someflying diagnoly on wires..reeve did..so can they.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:30 AM   #28
KaptainKrypton
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlives
Exactly. I am reading SR supporters saying FF2 blew their wad with this. How do they know that? And it tells you they realize this is good - better than most any flying FX they say in SR. The flying overall in SR, safv for plane rescue, was I agree not very exciting. And should not the Superman flying be better than any we see in FF or such. Too bad really. If Singer fets a sequel he will be competing against these guys. That ain't funny.
When you release a trailer that is one long and expensive FX shot that doesn't even have a slight bit of narrative other than it being an actual chase sequence, what the hell would you expect us to think? I thought it was good, but different in execution (and a bit stupid). I did think it was dumb that Storm was even remotely able to catch Radd, though. The way I always figured it, Surfer can travel at much higher speeds than The Human Torch could ever dream of...then again Tim Story is directing, so go figger. You may not find the SR flying exciting, and that's your prerogative. If I'd have to compare either the plane sequence or the Metropolis rescue sequences with this FF2 trailer, I'm going with SR by a landslide. Those flight shots were much more exciting to me.

Ross Webster - President & CEO of Webscoe Industries
KaptainKrypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:33 AM   #29
KaptainKrypton
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBOCOP CPU001
and i was sick to death of vertical take offs..i would love to see someflying diagnoly on wires..reeve did..so can they.
Amen. I want to see a balance of the two. After watching what kind of wire rig capabilities they had when I watched the bonus disc, I was very disappointed they didn't use those rigs for a greater number of shots with some of the old school takeoffs. I loved the full-motion fast flying shots and the maneuverability that BR had was insane in the sequences, but I kept asking myself: "Where the hell is Bob Harman when you need him?"

Ross Webster - President & CEO of Webscoe Industries
KaptainKrypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #30
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle-El
I didn't see anything new in that FF2 teaser....we saw the same thing in the Plane sequence, and the flying through the clouds at the end. Except, it was done during the day with McG-ish camera cuts every 2 seconds to make it appear incredibly hectic.

Superman's flying is supposed to be graceful...until he breaks the sound barrier, or is out saving something from killing someone. The most impressive thing about that teaser trailer is the great job WETA has done on the SS.

I saw that Torch fall it looks pretty good......I doubt it will have the same 'no one talks in the theatre' impact that the Superman fall from the heavens had though.
I think they did an amazing job with Silver Surfer as well. He looks fantastic. I dealt with the same silence in the theaters when I went as well. Twice. Pin drop.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #31
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

I enjoyed the movie but I felt the flying scenes were a bit lacking. I wanted to see something as dynamic and kinetic as the chase scene in the FF2 teaser.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
ultimatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #32
Lightning54SC
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatefan
I enjoyed the movie but I felt the flying scenes were a bit lacking. I wanted to see something as dynamic and kinetic as the chase scene in the FF2 teaser.
bout time some of you guys see what im saying...

Lightning54SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #33
Visionary
Banned User

With Bryan Singer you'll probably get another sick kid instead.

Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:21 PM   #34
lexlives
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b
this is what i also think. and this is why i opened the thread and then it was deleted.

someone please explain me how is it possible that they made so much CGI in decemeber? and with SR we had to wait until may. why? we know the answer ,some people just dont want to belive it.

back on topic. i want to see the camera going crazzy when he flys. of course in action. in epic slow flying the camera should be very slow. but show us something new. dont just have the camera on the left side of brandon and than in post put the background. this is boring and nothing fresh.
singer likes to tell a story so much that he doesnt care about teh action and teh CGI stuff. so at the end he makes it only because he has to. thats just my opinion. i hope he will prove me wrong.
Definitely Singer's focus is on the story. Reember X-men 3 had lots more FX shots in its teser about a year ago than did SR. We really did not see anything till April and I recall all the compalints about not getting a trailer sooner. And Singer had more time to don SR than Ratner did X-Men3.

Singer is a good director but his focus is not action scenes and CGI. That works for the Usual Suspects but not for a Superman film.

I agree that it is the angles on the FF2 flying scenes that make them so engaging and get your adrenalin running.

Last edited by lexlives; 12-27-2006 at 01:32 PM.
lexlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:09 PM   #35
Visionary
Banned User

Darksied also flies with an unearthly gizmo. Let Darksied be born in the sequel.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #36
ervann
Super Deformin'

Peter Jackson for the sequel. People forget how great the camera work was for LOTR.

ervann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:19 PM   #37
lexlives
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervann
Peter Jackson for the sequel. People forget how great the camera work was for LOTR.
As the end of year criticism of SR comes out PJ may not be such a stretch. IMO it is in no way certain WB will or can continue with Singer given the polarization out there among fans, GA and critics over his vision.

lexlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:05 PM   #38
ervann
Super Deformin'

I think if WB could, they'd have change director already.

But too much was invested in SR and they have little financial choice but to ensure the continuity, and hope that Singer delivers 'more action' which they foolishly assume will translate into 'bigger box office'.

I would wet myself if PJ and Weta take over Superman. Shoot the whole thing in Wellington, I don't care. Thing is I don't think PJ will ever do comics books. He may produce though.

ervann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:22 AM   #39
dark_b
Side-Kick

singer is a good story teller. WB just can not give him 100% freedom. have singer under control go to ILM and ask lucas and spielberg for advice. and you got yourself the ultimate superman movie.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:41 AM   #40
Visionary
Banned User

Didn't Singer ask Lucas or/and Cameron advice on how to go about making Superman? I remember reading that somewhere on these boards.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:15 AM   #41
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary
Didn't Singer ask Lucas or/and Cameron advice on how to go about making Superman? I remember reading that somewhere on these boards.
i also read it .but in the movie i saw 70% CGI flying. even if he asked tehm he didnt do what they told them.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:08 AM   #42
superhey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze
I agree.

Torch flying is good in the teaser , but Superman flying shot by Singer look way more powerful (and realistic).

AGGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT!!!!!

superhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #43
Lightning54SC
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhey
AGGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT!!!!!
you need your eyes checked

Old 12-30-2006, 03:34 PM   #44
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning54SC
you need your eyes checked
A faux shakey cam affect doesn't make the flying look better. I saw the teaser, it wasn't anything special.

My opinions are are my own and do not reflect those of DC comics,Warner Bros, Marvel Entertainment, Walt Disney, IDW Publishing, Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Action Lab Entertainment unless otherwise stated.
JamalYIgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:51 PM   #45
bosef982
Side-Kick

My God, you fans are so....ugh, you disgust me.

You see a 1 minute teaser for F4 and you're all like, "It's better." Nevermind that we are dealing with two totally different visual characters. Human Torch "looks" more kinetic and energetic due to the fact that he is pure fire.

Superamn Returns did some great flying shots. Would I like some more versatility, of course. But, what we got was more than okay with me.

And LexLives with his "end of the year" criticism and the whole WB can't go on...

I don't know if you heard, by Bryan Singer was hired for the sequel and WB has already chosen him as a director.

Moron.

Two Films, One Review, No Holds Barred.
Comic books, fantasy, drama, romantic comedy -- all are put to task!

bosef982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:02 PM   #46
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Of course the SS looks cool.

But the thing is that we haven't seen a fight with Superman yet. People keep saying that the airplane sequence was the only time it looked good, because it's the only time in the movie that Superman was actually moving fast speed.

Unfortunately, we have to wait until 2009 to see how Supes looks in frantic flight.

TheComicbookKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #47
Lightning54SC
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosef982
My God, you fans are so....ugh, you disgust me.

You see a 1 minute teaser for F4 and you're all like, "It's better." Nevermind that we are dealing with two totally different visual characters. Human Torch "looks" more kinetic and energetic due to the fact that he is pure fire.

Superamn Returns did some great flying shots. Would I like some more versatility, of course. But, what we got was more than okay with me.

And LexLives with his "end of the year" criticism and the whole WB can't go on...

I don't know if you heard, by Bryan Singer was hired for the sequel and WB has already chosen him as a director.

Moron.
sorry but surfboard stiff flying doesnt cut it for me i wanna be blown away.... i wanna be able to fly with superman... like superman.... i feel as if we get more of it in 1 min teaser from the FF2 then in a 3 hour superman movie....

Old 04-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #48
Lightning54SC
Banned User

Default Heroic scenes

If there is a reboot or even if singer gets his second chance(god i hope not) but whatever... what heroic scenes would you like to see int eh movie....

id like to see...

1. Superman is space, a metor flying down he catches up to it goes threw it but realizes the danger he just made even worse then he races ahead of it and start using his vision blast to stop them from raining down ont he city

2. Stop a plane from flying into a building (kinda of a 9/11 thing) it would be nice to see him smile with red eyes at some terroriest that hijacked a plane that tried crashing it only to be stopped int eh nick of time

3. possible train derail or bridge falling out and him hold it up as people get get off ASAP

what would you liek to see? or if you agree with me just give a x'whatever

Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #49
GreenKToo
In the fire

Default Re: Heroic scenes

I would like to see something like a russian nuclear sub and an american sub collide, the russian sub suffers more damage and sinks to the bottom. The american navy tries to assist the russian navy in a rescue, but the sub is in to deep of water. the media soon learns of the disaster and rushes to cover it. the whole world is on pins and needles. Just when all seems lost, superman appears and lifts the entire sub up and out of the sea and on to safety, with the williams theme blasting. Newscrews capture it live and the entire world erupts into cheers.

EDIT: I also would love to see supes beat down in a superpowered fight, his suit torn to tatters, but he rises and then kicks some serious butt.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 04-03-2007 at 11:56 AM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #50
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Heroic scenes

I like some of your ideas in here, the sub sequence and the plane sequence escpecially. The problem is I don't want to see anything that might be deemed repetative. If he saves the Russian Sub he will be lifting it out of the water, more lifting. If he stops the plane, he will again...be stopping a plane.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote