The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How strong?
Spider-Man Strength (10 tons max lift) 10 9.26%
John Byrne Era strength (asserts a lot of effort for lifting jet planes and cruise ships) 77 71.30%
Planet Mover 21 19.44%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #51
Justice Bringer
Banned User

Default Re: Heroic scenes

Superman Returns the video game level one;

Save Metropolis from a meteor shower.

Justice Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #52
GreenKToo
In the fire

I thought about that, but what can you do to really show his power that hasnt been done before? whatever he does, wheather it involves an earthquake, or saving a boatload of people, it will seem repetative, but I do get your point though. I suppose the only thing that wouldnt seem repetative would be an epic superpowered fight, something that would make us go Zod who?? while we are gripping the arm rests in the theater in frenzied excitement..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029 View Post
I like some of your ideas in here, the sub sequence and the plane sequence escpecially. The problem is I don't want to see anything that might be deemed repetative. If he saves the Russian Sub he will be lifting it out of the water, more lifting. If he stops the plane, he will again...be stopping a plane.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #53
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

I think if we used our imagination we could think of many ways that Superman's seemingly overused powers could result in something new and fantastic on screen.

The scene where Superman uses his X-Ray vision to to destroy the falling glass and melt it down while flying on his back was quite inventive. The basic idea came from the Batman vs Superman script but they twisted it and it worked.

For instance you "flip the script" so to speak.

In Returns Superman caught a falling construction worker and placed him on the ground in midflight. It was a pretty neat sequence, but what if instead of catching the man in mid air, he uses his superbreath? Maybe he is higher up in the sky and blows him back to the ledge or maybe he somehow uses it to guide him down to the ground safely. There are so many ways you can tweak these traditional ideas.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #54
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo
I thought about that, but what can you do to really show his power that hasnt been done before?

Superman is speaking at an outdoor public appearance. A woman and her child are among the thousands there. The child perhaps following a balloon drifting thru the crowd wanders away from the mother. Superman finishes his speech bids farewell to the crowd and begins to fly slowly up and away. Amidst the thundering cheers of the crowd he hears the lone voice of the mother frantically calling for her child. He stops and flies directly to her. She explains her plight; he asks what the child is wearing. She answers a Metropolis (team name) baseball cap. He zooms upward above the crowd stopping and looking down at the throng. It takes only a moment for his vision to spot the child. He flies down to the child and brings the child to the mother.

We've seen enough of the over the top super rescues, including lifting an island into orbit, let's see a heroic deed that humanizes the character again.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #55
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

That is a pretty classy and simplified moment. I think that he doesn't even have to come down and listen to what the mother's problem is though, he just needs to hear her calling for her child and spots the kid running for the balloon.

It could work on some small level. I like it.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #56
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029 View Post
That is a pretty classy and simplified moment. I think that he doesn't even have to come down and listen to what the mother's problem is though, he just needs to hear her calling for her child and spots the kid running for the balloon.

It could work on some small level. I like it.
Well he needs to know which one of the multitude of children is hers, but it would also add to the personal touch.

I felt that SR sorely lacked any interaction between Superman and "the little people". The airplane passengers and the population of Metropolis had no identity whatsoever. When Superman caught the man falling from the crane the emotional impact was about the same as when he catches the Daily Planet globe. He might as well have caught a mannekin.

Unlike STM and SII.
Superman saving fluffy and the following interraction between him and the little girl was spot on Superman and thanks to those few low budget moments everyone he subsequently saves has an identity.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #57
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

I agree with you on the personal moments between himself and citizens of Metropolis. That is an extremely good point, and I haven't heard it before. The only citizen he really interacted with was Kitty, and she was a major player. Some of the interactions between Superman and citizens were cut or changed.

*The scene where he stops the robbery at the convenient store and they only show a clip on television. That was longer and was filmed as an actual scene where he shakes his hand at the end.

*The scene where he carries mountain climbers stranded on a mountain in a big chain may or may not have been filmed, I am pretty sure it was. He had some connection with them.

Good post though.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #58
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
Superman is speaking at an outdoor public appearance. A woman and her child are among the thousands there. The child perhaps following a balloon drifting thru the crowd wanders away from the mother. Superman finishes his speech bids farewell to the crowd and begins to fly slowly up and away. Amidst the thundering cheers of the crowd he hears the lone voice of the mother frantically calling for her child. He stops and flies directly to her. She explains her plight; he asks what the child is wearing. She answers a Metropolis (team name) baseball cap. He zooms upward above the crowd stopping and looking down at the throng. It takes only a moment for his vision to spot the child. He flies down to the child and brings the child to the mother.

We've seen enough of the over the top super rescues, including lifting an island into orbit, let's see a heroic deed that humanizes the character again.
I like it!

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #59
what_19
Side-Kick

i know some people hate seing him do "normal" saving like the plane and such, as opposed to fighting someone hand to hand...but i think thats part of the reason he's SUPERMAN...and i like your ideas, but i really think anything having to do with terrorism is a kind of slap in the face to the people who have suffered losses due to terrorism...i think it will be seen as a way to cash in a quick buck.., personally i'd be a little offended if i saw superman doing that...and if we see him stop one terrosrist attack then why isnt he over in the middle east fixing things..i think it just opens a big can of worms that will only hurt the movie

what_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:53 PM   #60
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

You can have him saving people from plane, train, and car crashes (these happen every day).....but certain disasters should be avoided (such as an event similar to 9/11 or a tsunami)...because they were such enormously horrific events, people would protest because of the sensative nature of them.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 AM   #61
afan
Side-Kick

Re. Superman vs Terrorism.

Whether or not Superman belongs in that arena, i.e. pro-actively fighting terrorism is one issue, just as the character does not belong in SR's melodramatic mush, he would not thrive embroiled in a global political theme either, but that being said the act of stopping a terrorist attack on a 9/11 scale would result in a standing "O".

Clearly history shows us that films using heroes to oppose ideologies of hate, are met with cheers not jeers. WW II and the prolific use of America's film and literature icons to battle Nazis and the Axis powers, being the prime example. Surely WW II far surpassed the horrific impact of 9/11 on the American psyche, but the films thrived and undoubtedly raised morale at home.

Last edited by afan; 04-04-2007 at 07:33 AM.
afan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:08 AM   #62
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

I'll pass on Superman preventing 9/11 in the sequel. It just has no place in the movie. There are countless things to do with Superman, why really go there?

Old 04-04-2007, 08:13 AM   #63
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I have no problem with showing him stopping some terrorist plot....but it shouldn't be one too similar to the events of 9/11 (as the first poster suggested).

Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 AM   #64
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'll pass on Superman preventing 9/11 in the sequel. It just has no place in the movie. There are countless things to do with Superman, why really go there?
Uhmm, he already has prevented a terrorist action on film, SII, atomic bomb, Eiffel Tower, sound familiar.
"Gee Mr. White that's terrible!"....."That's why they're called terrorists, Kent."

Not advocating it's inclusion either. My post was to argue against the notion that it would automatically recieve a negative reception from the public.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #65
Spiderine
Business as Usual

The only terrorism shpuld be the villains.IMO

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:34 AM   #66
CGHulk
Green Guy

Well how about in Superman Returns, Clark is watching the TV and there's a Middle Eastern women angry and before that scene there's tanks shooting misiles, you'd think he'd be taking care of the War than just crying over Lois.

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:14 PM   #67
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Superman Freezes A Robbery-escape-helicopter Between Two Sky Scrappers!

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #68
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
Uhmm, he already has prevented a terrorist action on film, SII, atomic bomb, Eiffel Tower, sound familiar.
"Gee Mr. White that's terrible!"....."That's why they're called terrorists, Kent."

Not advocating it's inclusion either. My post was to argue against the notion that it would automatically recieve a negative reception from the public.
I understand that. I am just arguing that intentional allusions to 9/11 has no place in the movie. Keep politics out of it.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #69
The Kid
AMERICA FTW

Jason and Superman vs Nuclear Man and Nuclear Boy.

Last edited by The Kid; 04-05-2007 at 07:49 PM.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #70
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I understand that. I am just arguing that intentional allusions to 9/11 has no place in the movie. Keep politics out of it.
That was my point too....certain events would just ruin the experience.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #71
BareKnucklez
Banned User

Cool Re: Heroic scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesyeed View Post
Jason and Superman vs Nuclear Man and Nuclear Boy.
lol don't give Singer any crazy ideas... I wouldn't be mad if they did a scene where Superman stops the events of 9/11 I actually thought about something like that a while back when they said a new Superman movie got green lit.
But I agree it wouldn't go over well... I think most people would be upset that something so tragic would be used in such a way.
Especially since they really did knock down the towers...

My biggest complaint about SR was the scene where Superman is listening to people scream in pain, and agony, and people dying, and what not when he's floating in space, and then he goes to rescue money which is being robbed from a Bank.
Now talk about Superman like heroics... Singer just got the character all wrong!

Last edited by BareKnucklez; 04-05-2007 at 08:54 PM.
BareKnucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #72
The Kid
AMERICA FTW

Lol, I remember that. I was thinking "wtf dude. There's more at stake out there than bill gate's money."

My imagination's prettygood... but I'm just having a difficult time thinking of stuff supes could do that wouldn't involve that damn kid as a sidekick.

I'm thinking he could start small. Just do little things around metropolis to help. Stop some guy from falling in the subway etc. Then something much bigger happens like a huge explosion and then nuclear man re-awakens!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:30 PM   #73
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

"Look he's mutated into human form!"

Looks like you've changed your clothes so to speak Weyseed, gone back to a more classic look.

I'd actually like to see Superman hovering over a battlefield, two countries at war, preferably not superpowers.

He is hovering over the battlefield not interfering with the battle itself but tending to those in need and carrying them to safety on both sides. Maybe a VO by Jorel in regards to not getting involved and interfering.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #74
GreenKToo
In the fire

I just thought of something you guys may or may not like, what with all the mining accidents that have been on the news lately, why not have supes save some coal miners?? say 15 or so of them a 1,000 feet under ground, the tunnel collapses, and a fire starts. rescue efforts get underway, but the oxygen level is running out, and fast.

Clark is at the daily planet, and sees a special news report on the monitor about the accident. He makes his way to the storage room for a quick change into supes and rushes to the scene. tons of rescue workers and media are at the site and witness him land. after a quick word with the lead rescuer, superman bores his way down to the trapped miners, puts the fire out and carries all the miners out at once by towing the elevator up they used to travel down in..

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #75
ervann
Super Deformin'

I want to see Superman actually using his brains in addition to his powers to solve a problem or rescue a situation. Stopping a derailed train, saving a plane or a man falling off a building, that's pretty straightforward.

That deleted scene in the original script where a tidal wave rushes towards Metropolis - now that's a sequence where the audience wouldn't know exactly how Superman will fix do.

To me there are two types of heroic scenes ofr Superman:

1) The 'tidal wave' type where the obstacle is so big audiences will be left in awe of the superfeat

2) The 'smaller' personal types that leave the audience cheering e.g. saving the boy at Niagara Falls and even saving Lois from the chopper in STM.

ervann is offline   Reply With Quote