The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How strong?
Spider-Man Strength (10 tons max lift) 10 9.26%
John Byrne Era strength (asserts a lot of effort for lifting jet planes and cruise ships) 77 71.30%
Planet Mover 21 19.44%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #76
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Heroic scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesyeed View Post
Lol, I remember that. I was thinking "wtf dude. There's more at stake out there than bill gate's money."
Superman = Corporate America's drone

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #77
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I just thought of something you guys may or may not like, what with all the mining accidents that have been on the news lately, why not have supes save some coal miners?? say 15 or so of them a 1,000 feet under ground, the tunnel collapses, and a fire starts. rescue efforts get underway, but the oxygen level is running out, and fast.

Clark is at the daily planet, and sees a special news report on the monitor about the accident. He makes his way to the storage room for a quick change into supes and rushes to the scene. tons of rescue workers and media are at the site and witness him land. after a quick word with the lead rescuer, superman bores his way down to the trapped miners, puts the fire out and carries all the miners out at once by towing the elevator up they used to travel down in..
Again, I feel it is too topical and would just be a sentimental draw back to those miners trapped in Virginia last year. Lets keep the real world out of a movie about a man who flies.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:50 AM   #78
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervann View Post

That deleted scene in the original script where a tidal wave rushes towards Metropolis - now that's a sequence where the audience wouldn't know exactly how Superman will fix do.
In that scene he lifted up a whole set of train cars off the track and into the air as the tidal wave passed below them.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #79
GreenKToo
In the fire

I would have loved to have seen that scene, a pity we didnt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime029 View Post
In that scene he lifted up a whole set of train cars off the track and into the air as the tidal wave passed below them.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:53 AM   #80
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

I would have liked to seen it too, but you know how it is, others would complain that Superman was lifting things again.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #81
GreenKToo
In the fire

Ha Ha ya. I think that if S.R. would have had one more big action scene such as that, alot of the debates would be moot.
Quote:
I would have liked to seen it too, but you know how it is, others would complain that Superman was lifting things again.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 08-10-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #82
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Ha Ha ya. I think that if S.R. would have had one more big action scene such as that, alot of the debates would be mute.
Well, I think it all depends on what said action scene was. Superman Returns had plenty of action scenes, the problem is...they were all basically just Superman lifting something heavy.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #83
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Well, I think it all depends on what said action scene was. Superman Returns had plenty of action scenes, the problem is...they were all basically just Superman lifting something heavy.
Thats hard to say, it needed to have something that would make the audience want to stand and cheer, like the plane rescue scene. I like the train scene that showtime mentioned, it sounds like it had the potential to do just that..[

Last edited by GreenKToo; 08-10-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:32 AM   #84
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Thats hard to say, it needed to have something that would make the audience want to stand and cheer, like the plane rescue scene. I like the train scene that showtime mentioned, it sounds like it had the potential to do just that..
I don't think so. I think it would've just been another lifting of a heavy object. Plus, it would greatly mirror the plane scene, which would kind of be stupid as the plane sequence would've just happened an hour ago.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #85
GreenKToo
In the fire

well, its what he does, hes superman after all. He is supposed to lift heavy things, and I see no way around that. It would be like someone saying about spider-man, "oh no, not the spidey sense thing again"
Quote:
I don't think so. I think it would've just been another lifting of a heavy object. Plus, it would greatly mirror the plane scene, which would kind of be stupid as the plane sequence would've just happened an hour ago.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #86
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
well, its what he does, hes superman after all. He is supposed to lift heavy things, and I see no way around that. It would be like someone saying about spider-man, "oh no, not the spidey sense thing again"
Superman has a multitude of powers. The only one he really displayed in SR was his ability to lift heavy objects. If you see so much of that, it inevitably becomes underwhelming.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #87
GreenKToo
In the fire

yes I know, and singer touched on that, but not enough. hopefully we'll get to see more of his powers in the sequel. I would love to see him unleash his heat vision at full power on a supervillain, with his eyes glowing bright red from the power and anger.
Quote:
Superman has a multitude of powers. The only one he really displayed in SR was his ability to lift heavy objects. If you see so much of that, it inevitably becomes underwhelming.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #88
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

JJ Abrams Script had some cool ideas

-superman stops a volcano from destroying an indi's village
-superman takes a wifebeater upt o 5,000 feet, drops him, and catches him at the last minute
-superman saves a fishing boat in an enormous storm lost at sea

IMO, you have to start with his powers, and think of ideas where he can utilize them.

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #89
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Unfortunatetly, the superfeats is why some people don't like Superman.

My friend who saw the movie and thought it was good, hates Superman because he could "undo a tornado by spinning around it." But that's what Supes is. My mom hates Batman because of the utility belt with everything and I couldn't get her to watch BB even though I told her he wasn't like that in the movie.

On the subject I want a thousand Brainiac drones come to Earth and Supes have to race back to Metropolis while stopping drones around the world. You can refrence the genecide in Africa by him stopping drones attacking them( in refrence to the thread about global warming)

TheComicbookKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #90
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
JJ Abrams Script had some cool ideas

-superman stops a volcano from destroying an indi's village
-superman takes a wifebeater upt o 5,000 feet, drops him, and catches him at the last minute
-superman saves a fishing boat in an enormous storm lost at sea

IMO, you have to start with his powers, and think of ideas where he can utilize them.
The volcano thing was already explored in Superman 4, I don't remember how he stops it in the Abrams Script. The wifebeater thing is interesting, but if people are complaining Singer's Superman is not an idealistic Superman, I don't think Superman would do something like that. In regards to the boat thing, I don't want to see anymore involvement with cars, planes, boats, or trains. They need to mix things up a bit now.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #91
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

I personally wish Abrahams got a chance to take his movie further. Apparently the re-write featured Corporate Lex who was NOT from Krypton, Krypton was infact destroyed, no resurrection scene, and was considerably better.

Abrahams has proved on countless occassions just how talented he can be. I wish he could've used that talent on Superman.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #92
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I personally wish Abrahams got a chance to take his movie further. Apparently the re-write featured Corporate Lex who was NOT from Krypton, Krypton was infact destroyed, no resurrection scene, and was considerably better.

Abrahams has proved on countless occassions just how talented he can be. I wish he could've used that talent on Superman.
The fact that he would even write Superman like that to begin with blows my mind, he absolutely destroyed the character. Due to that alone, he didn't deserve a chance.

Anything else he's done has been pretty damn good in my opinion though. He has a knack.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #93
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
The fact that he would even write Superman like that to begin with blows my mind, he absolutely destroyed the character. Due to that alone, he didn't deserve a chance.

Anything else he's done has been pretty damn good in my opinion though. He has a knack.
I doubt it was all Abrahams. At the time, Abrahams was only the writer with both McG and Peters above him. I would love to see what Abrahams could do if he were given full creative control like Singer.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #94
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

He could put Superman's suit in a can...heh heh.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #95
Obi Wan Kenobi
Banned User

Default Utilization of Superman's Powers: Have Heroes Like Hancock Surpassed Him?

WB and Bryan Singer better get a damn clue. I just saw the trailer for Will Smith's new movie "Hancock". I thought it was going to be stupid but I was absolutely FLOORED by the special effects and the story. Hancock is nothing but a Superman with a tan.

I'm tired of seeing Superman fly around with Lois under 1 arm for half the film while other studios are kicking ass. The Hulk, Iron Man & even this new Smith flick has surpassed anything seemingly the Man of Steel can do on film.

Its quite depressing. I hope Brandon Routh is right about this next film show casing Superman's real abilities because WB has done a piss poor job of illustrating what Supes can really do in an entertaining manner. It doesn't have to be versus a super villian the entire time. Go watch the Hancock trailer of him stopping a carjacking, a robbery and saving a female cop under fire.

Why can't anyone make a Superman film with that kind of action MINUS the campy stuff?

Obi Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #96
Slugster
the Slugster

Default Re: Other heros have passed Superman's abilities...Will Smith for example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi View Post
WB and Bryan Singer better get a damn clue. I just saw the trailer for Will Smith's new movie "Hancock". I thought it was going to be stupid but I was absolutely FLOORED by the special effects and the story. Hancock is nothing but a Superman with a tan.

I'm tired of seeing Superman fly around with Lois under 1 arm for half the film while other studios are kicking ass. The Hulk, Iron Man & even this new Smith flick has surpassed anything seemingly the Man of Steel can do on film.

Its quite depressing. I hope Brandon Routh is right about this next film show casing Superman's real abilities because WB has done a piss poor job of illustrating what Supes can really do in an entertaining manner. It doesn't have to be versus a super villian the entire time. Go watch the Hancock trailer of him stopping a carjacking, a robbery and saving a female cop under fire.

Why can't anyone make a Superman film with that kind of action MINUS the campy stuff?

WORD!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #97
Odin's Lapdog
Side-Kick

Default Re: Other heros have passed Superman's abilities...Will Smith for example

actually when hancock or anyone starts throwing whole continents into space, please let me know

why don't i feel, my Skin should crack and peel?
I want the
Fire back...

If you want to PM me, please send it to November RAIN. Odin's Lapdog's pm box is full
Odin's Lapdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #98
Slugster
the Slugster

The thing is thats part of the camp.
I mean we know Superman has abilities far beyond those of mortal men... BUT???

Old 05-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #99
superbaby
Banned User

well, superman is powerful, everybody knows that. let singer spending more time on how to kick superman's butts again in the sequel. bravo!

superbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #100
The Guard
Side-Kick

Can I have some of what you're all smoking?

How does HANCOCK showcase Superman's true abilities better than SUPERMAN RETURNS? Is a blurry shot of a man throwing a whale out to sea somehow what Superman should be about?

What SUPERMAN RETURNS were you all watching that you didn't see Superman do something infinitely cooler than the few shots of action you get during the HANCOCK trailer?

The man just turns into a blur when he flies around. The special effects are B level at best. SUPERMAN RETURNS had a much better showcasing of powers on almost every level. Hancock apparently just throws things. Superman lifted a continent, planes, a yacht, caught the Daily Planet globe, and had a number of other more impressive uses of power.

Selective memories, I guess.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote