The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How strong?
Spider-Man Strength (10 tons max lift) 10 9.26%
John Byrne Era strength (asserts a lot of effort for lifting jet planes and cruise ships) 77 71.30%
Planet Mover 21 19.44%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #101
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Default Re: Other heros have passed Superman's abilities...Will Smith for example

^Nope. Just his and my opinion.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #102
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Default Re: Other heros have passed Superman's abilities...Will Smith for example

I knew a thread like this would happen after that trailer was shown :-/

Old 05-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #103
wellsy
All crews reporting.

Honestly, the showcase in SR is easily better than that trailer.

Yes, Supes' full powers weren't showcased in SR. They never really have been. However, Hancock doesn't match even SR. Not by a very long shot.

And I'm not even talking about the quality of the SFX.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #104
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

I'm amazed at how people get upset that Superman accidently killed two people in SR, but want him to crush a train like Hancock which will easily kill hundreds of people. The only thing Hancock has is the charming Will Smith to count on.

With that said. I will kill for a space battle. And no Superman 4 style slow motion crap. Superman can overcome it.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #105
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I don't think that he wants Superman to act like Hancock, I believe he just wants to see some better f**king visuals in a Superman film, and oh yeah, fight scenes. Pardon my french but it had to be said.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:08 AM   #106
Visionary
Banned User

Iron Man's flying was also a lot better visually than Supes.

Visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:02 AM   #107
thatsabadoutfit
Side-Kick

That's because it's a lot easier to create something of metal look real visually than a man with a face, hair, and a cape. Hancock even has glasses and a hat on for most of the movie which makes things even easier. Making a man look realistic with facial features and everything is hard to do and I think that shot at the end of SR is as close as you can get. I think the problem with that shor however is that it was slow moving and graceful. If you were put put that kind of render in live and fast action in the right lighting, it would look real but still not completely real. SUperman is exposed.

Things can be done action wise and visually wise to improve the way it looks. But in terms of making the graphics better for Supes, I dont think its possible.

thatsabadoutfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:53 AM   #108
KobiKai
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
I watched Iron Man a couple of hours ago, it's amazing and totally kicks SR's ass. Plus the flying is very cool

KobiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #109
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

Default To WB: Superman is a gold mine, use it!

Yesterday I saw Iron Man.
It was an amazing sh movie. Really fantastic!

When I was in the theatre I was thinking about my hero: Superman, and how it was underused in SR.
All the terrific action scenes made by Iron Man, could have been made better by Superman.
Superman can flight (and he has his amazing cape), can use his heat vision like laser beams, he could fight with F-22s, with robots, with monsters...
Wake up WB!You have a gold mine, use your best franchise properly and greenlit a terrific sequel.

Ita-KalEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:38 AM   #110
CGHulk
Green Guy

Default Re: To WB: Superman is a gold mine, use it!

I was thinking the same thing when watching Iron Man, I whispered over to my father, "Superman Returns is a joke compared to this!"

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:12 AM   #111
Jul-el
Side-Kick

Yup.Same here.Makes ya sick don't it???

I remeber thinking during FF2 that the flying was better.

Jul-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:24 AM   #112
FaT_tONle
Banned User

WB needs to take control of themselves. And that doesn't mean going Transformers by giving us a hapass JLA that will appease the seven year olds. Luckily that seems to be out of the way now. Get rid of the soap opera. Get rid of the kid (kill him off to some medical complication at the end or something... its the only way)... give us a big time villain. And update Lex to modern standards. There won't be a second go around if they screw this up again, or else it will be Batman films for another 50 years. What really killed SR for me personally was the kid... so as long as they fix that I'll jump back on the band wagon.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #113
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHulk View Post
I was thinking the same thing when watching Iron Man, I whispered over to my father, "Superman Returns is a joke compared to this!"
The problem of SR is that it was too nostalgic and romantic for a summer movie.
We really need a SR sequel with the right amount of action, because only Superman can do the coolest things.

I'm a great fan of Batman Begins, but with all the respect for The Dark Night, Batman is a limited character. If you look at the TDK trailer, it seems only "more of the same" of BB. I'm sure that the movie will be terrific, but at WB they have Superman...they must use him properly.
I don't know, they have to put Doomsday or Darkseid in the movie, or an epic battle with some military forces, but they have to do something!

Old 05-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #114
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
WB needs to take control of themselves. And that doesn't mean going Transformers by giving us a hapass JLA that will appease the seven year olds. Luckily that seems to be out of the way now. Get rid of the soap opera. Get rid of the kid (kill him off to some medical complication at the end or something... its the only way)... give us a big time villain. And update Lex to modern standards. There won't be a second go around if they screw this up again, or else it will be Batman films for another 50 years. What really killed SR for me personally was the kid... so as long as they fix that I'll jump back on the band wagon.
I understand you points, and I agree with you. Nevertheless I think that it's too late for a reboot (even because another origin movie doesn't guarantee a better performance at the box office). I'm for the "Wrath of khan" idea.
They have to do a terrific superman movie (with brandon routh) with great action and great drama (with a bit of humor for the kids).

For the problem of the kid, IMO it isn't a great problem, but I think that in the world there is a writer able to cancel the kid from the story (The kid is brainiac, is a kryptonian clone...or I don't know).

I know only that the 99.9% of this forum will go to see TMOS after a trailer full of terrific action.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #115
FaT_tONle
Banned User

Kryptonian clone... not a bad idea... they got to do something with that man... I am not gonna see this franchise go Zorro or something along those lines.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #116
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
Kryptonian clone... not a bad idea... they got to do something with that man... I am not gonna see this franchise go Zorro or something along those lines.
For example there was the "Doomsday Wars" saga that can give some good ideas. In this saga Brainiac dies and looks for a body for his mind/spirit. Then he uses Doomsday but the monster is difficult to control so he needs the modified body of a human baby.

In the sequel they can say that kid was a kryptonian clone made by Brainiac for his "incarnation" and that Richard White was mind controlled or a Brainiac's servant.
IMO there are a ton of ways to solve to problem of the kid. But it depends by Singer.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #117
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Default Re: Other heros have passed Superman's abilities...(Utilization of Powers On-Screen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi View Post
WB and Bryan Singer better get a damn clue. I just saw the trailer for Will Smith's new movie "Hancock". I thought it was going to be stupid but I was absolutely FLOORED by the special effects and the story. Hancock is nothing but a Superman with a tan.

I'm tired of seeing Superman fly around with Lois under 1 arm for half the film while other studios are kicking ass. The Hulk, Iron Man & even this new Smith flick has surpassed anything seemingly the Man of Steel can do on film.

Its quite depressing. I hope Brandon Routh is right about this next film show casing Superman's real abilities because WB has done a piss poor job of illustrating what Supes can really do in an entertaining manner. It doesn't have to be versus a super villian the entire time. Go watch the Hancock trailer of him stopping a carjacking, a robbery and saving a female cop under fire.

Why can't anyone make a Superman film with that kind of action MINUS the campy stuff?
Damn straight.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #118
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: Other heros have passed Superman's abilities...(Utilization of Powers On-Screen)

Quote:
he's not saying superman has to act like hancock you closed minded fools, he's saying that superman movies don't showcase thier abilities as well as hancock did in the trailer. Using his abilities for so many different thing's.
Try debating without resorting to namecalling. Maybe then people will take you seriously.

Obviously many of you have selective memories when it comes to what was in SUPERMAN RETURNS, where Superman used his abilities for a number of things, including several things similar in nature to what Hancock does in the trailer.

Oh, but he didn't stop a speeding train or throw things or hit people. I forgot that's what Superman was all about.

Wait...something's coming back...he did throw things. He threw a freaking space shuttle.

Quote:
A blur?? exactly what are you smoking?. every flying shot of superman in SR was a friggin blur or simply to dark to make out.
That is simply not true. Flight effects and shots were fantastically realized. You could very much make out the visuals of the character. Hancock turns into a blur, he takes off in a blur, and he lands in a blur.

Quote:
hancock is an improvement & ppl don't like it so they come up with rediculous claims like the one above in quotes. So sad.
No, what's sad that people like you think Superman should be about "fighting things". I blame STAS for this mindset.

Quote:
What are you basing this on, exactly?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #119
KobiKai
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
I'm a great fan of Batman Begins, but with all the respect for The Dark Night, Batman is a limited character.
Isn't this the very problem with Superman? Batman has a coolness factor because of the gadgets, dark character, vehicles and women. Even when he's Bruce keeping up the facade he's driving Ferrari's and accompanied be multiple blondes.
Superman on the other hand has Lois, glasses and ma & pa that's it.

P.S this isn't to start an argument but it was a comment without foundation

Old 05-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #120
The Guard
Side-Kick

Neither Batman nor Superman are limited characters. The possibilities with both, as with almost any superhero, are almost limitless.

And if I'm right
Old 05-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #121
tekcopedis
Banned User

I do not agree with Superman's powers being underutilized, I think they were undramatized. I mean sure he did some feats, but they were so slow and repeated so often that they became boring.

Oh wow, he can lift heavy things. Whoopedy dooo.

It dose not have the same hysterical and coolness of flying into the back seat of a car, trying to negotiate with the criminals peacefully, then they shoot at him and archive nothing and going to plan B which is to kick out the entire back seat of the car and pin them up on a building.

In fact, I remember seeing that scene in the trailer and laughing thinking how that would be a perfect fit for a Superman movie with a dialog adjustment.

Superman: Hello fellas. My name is Superman and I am here to let you know that stealing is wrong. Now, I am not here to judge you guys-

*robbers look at each other like the man is nuts*

Superman: -but I think we can talk to each other like civilized adults and I believe if you turn yourself now you will not face the severity if you-

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

*as they yell cusses in Spanish, all that happens is bullet holes in the back seat and some shells rolling into Superman's lap*

Superman: ....ok, plan B then.

*blows out back seat of the car and pins them to a skyscraper*

tekcopedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #122
The Guard
Side-Kick

Superman wouldn't use that method anyway.

And if I'm right
Old 05-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #123
Superman90
The Lord of Time

True SR didn't show how powerful Superman is but, at least we still got some power rather than nothing at all. Hopefully in MOS he punches the hell out of something/someone to send them flying. That would be great to see.

Superman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #124
boog_spin
wearing tights somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman90 View Post
True SR didn't show how powerful Superman is but, at least we still got some power rather than nothing at all. Hopefully in MOS he punches the hell out of something/someone to send them flying. That would be great to see.

yeh him throwing a continent into space really underutilizes his raw power and determination. i totally agree

boog_spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #125
KobiKai
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by boog_spin View Post
yeh him throwing a continent into space really underutilizes his raw power and determination. i totally agree
The continent thing looked very cheesy though and wouldn't look out of place in a comedy sketch