The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Where should the new Superman movie begin?
Krypton 18 32.14%
Smallville 8 14.29%
Metropolis 30 53.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2007, 07:21 AM   #1
TripXyDE
Third-World Villain
 
TripXyDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Iloilo City, Philippines
Posts: 799
Default The Official Writer & Storyline Thread

I dunno if there's already a thread for this news

When it comes to Superman, there are 2 movies to be discussed about--- there's the Man of Steel & the Justice League movie. We're either seeing Superman back on either of those two movies

-------------

Writers' Strike Coming Sooner Than Expected? Bad News For Justice League!
Scribes' walkout could impact dozens of films in development.
by Jeff Giles | October 01, 2007
Blog Article | Discuss Article
Maybe we won't be seeing Justice League of America in the summer of 2009 after all. Matter of fact, a whole slew of movies might be missing their release targets -- including Wolverine, G.I. Joe, The Wolf Man, The Soloist, and the Night at the Museum sequel.

The culprit? Yes, you guessed it, it's that pesky strike stuff again. After looming in the distance for months, strike season is approaching -- and might actually be coming sooner than we'd expected. If you haven't been following the drama, here's what's happening: The studios' contracts with the actors' and directors' guilds expire next June, while the writers' contracts expire at the end of this month. While many had assumed the industry would be facing one big strike next year, it now looks as if the writers will stage their own walkout first.

According to a report published by The New York Times over the weekend, this could affect something like 75 percent of "the almost 150 feature films that are candidates for production by early next year," including Justice League and Another Night, both of which "appear not to have final scripts." From the article:

Barbara Brogliatti, a spokeswoman for the producers' alliance, said the studios had never assumed writers would keep working after the expiration of their contract. "Every studio and every network has contingency plans," she said, and those plans "assume there could be a walkout on Oct. 31."

The studios are still refusing official comment, but all the signs seem to indicate we're going to suffer through some kind of work stoppage before this is over. As the article notes, the entertainment industry's last major strike was the five-month writers' walkout in 1988 -- and those of us who are old enough to remember it might still be nursing a grudge for the havoc it wreaked on television shows such as Moonlighting.

Source: The New York Times

-------------------

Got it from
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/just.../news/1676485/

So if the Justice League movie is being threatened by this news, how much more the supposedly-upcoming MAN OF STEEL

__________________
PILIPINO AKO
(I'm a Filipino)
PROUD of IT!
TripXyDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 76,066
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

I'm not worried about JLA or any of the 2008-2009 movies. They already have scripts. Any tweaks can be handled by either ghost writers under the table or the directors. What I'm more concerned about is TV and the effect it can have on the new season and some of my favorite shows like 24, Prison Break, Psych, and The Office

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Super Kal
Side-Kick
 
Super Kal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: a northern state :(
Posts: 47,745
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

the sooner, the better

__________________
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and His commandments are not burdensome.
Super Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,402
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'm not worried about JLA or any of the 2008-2009 movies. They already have scripts. Any tweaks can be handled by either ghost writers under the table or the directors. What I'm more concerned about is TV and the effect it can have on the new season and some of my favorite shows like 24, Prison Break, Psych, and The Office
My specialty.

__________________

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
BareKnucklez
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: AM
Posts: 958
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripXyDE View Post
I dunno if there's already a thread for this news

When it comes to Superman, there are 2 movies to be discussed about--- there's the Man of Steel & the Justice League movie. We're either seeing Superman back on either of those two movies

-------------

Writers' Strike Coming Sooner Than Expected? Bad News For Justice League!
Scribes' walkout could impact dozens of films in development.
by Jeff Giles | October 01, 2007
Blog Article | Discuss Article
Maybe we won't be seeing Justice League of America in the summer of 2009 after all. Matter of fact, a whole slew of movies might be missing their release targets -- including Wolverine, G.I. Joe, The Wolf Man, The Soloist, and the Night at the Museum sequel.

The culprit? Yes, you guessed it, it's that pesky strike stuff again. After looming in the distance for months, strike season is approaching -- and might actually be coming sooner than we'd expected. If you haven't been following the drama, here's what's happening: The studios' contracts with the actors' and directors' guilds expire next June, while the writers' contracts expire at the end of this month. While many had assumed the industry would be facing one big strike next year, it now looks as if the writers will stage their own walkout first.

According to a report published by The New York Times over the weekend, this could affect something like 75 percent of "the almost 150 feature films that are candidates for production by early next year," including Justice League and Another Night, both of which "appear not to have final scripts." From the article:

Barbara Brogliatti, a spokeswoman for the producers' alliance, said the studios had never assumed writers would keep working after the expiration of their contract. "Every studio and every network has contingency plans," she said, and those plans "assume there could be a walkout on Oct. 31."

The studios are still refusing official comment, but all the signs seem to indicate we're going to suffer through some kind of work stoppage before this is over. As the article notes, the entertainment industry's last major strike was the five-month writers' walkout in 1988 -- and those of us who are old enough to remember it might still be nursing a grudge for the havoc it wreaked on television shows such as Moonlighting.

Source: The New York Times

-------------------

Got it from
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/just.../news/1676485/

So if the Justice League movie is being threatened by this news, how much more the supposedly-upcoming MAN OF STEEL
Why are they going on strike again? It's not like these people are poor lol they are making Millions for their work.

BareKnucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
Angeloz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,960
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareKnucklez View Post
Why are they going on strike again? It's not like these people are poor lol they are making Millions for their work.
I've heard otherwise. I've heard the majority of writers don't get very much and even the best of them would get less than the directors and definately the big name actors. I'll grant you I'm no expert. But I'll point out you need a good script for it to be a good film. It's essential.

Angeloz

Angeloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:34 AM   #7
DrunkSquirrel
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In a House
Posts: 148
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

This is true. The writers are not typically getting "millions". As far as films go especially. Many scripts/treatments are sold for a few thousand dollars. Once the script is sold, the writer does not collect ANYTHING on the back-end.

DrunkSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
hammy
American Ham
 
hammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hiding the cheese
Posts: 7,769
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareKnucklez View Post
Why are they going on strike again? It's not like these people are poor lol they are making Millions for their work.
Making millions?! Are you crazy? Writers make a tiny fraction of what the directors and actors make. TINY. And they're the most important people as far as I'm concerned. Lots of different actors can play a character and lots of different directors can put together a movie .. but it's all dependent on that one writer who had the creativity and imagination to come up with the idea in the first place.

Grrr ... writers are the most important people and don't get the credit they deserve.

__________________
I demand another beetle. Jeff has a groin pull.
hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
Nightwing1977
Want to see my mask??
 
Nightwing1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 5,851
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareKnucklez View Post
Why are they going on strike again? It's not like these people are poor lol they are making Millions for their work.
Do you really know anything about how much writers make? Writers don't make much as you think. Work for Hollywood as a writer & you'll find out for yourself. Now I know why you're not a writer yet in Hollywood, since you claim last year you can make a better story than Singer. How that going so far now?

__________________
~AP's a pedophilia who love posting pics of little boys in Superman costumes O_o
Nightwing1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:00 AM   #10
wellsy
All crews reporting.
 
wellsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 775
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

I'd say that if WB can't get JL of the ground, then they may have to look at (a delayed) MoS.

That would be the only circumstance that I can see MoS happening in.

__________________
Avert Not, Thine Eyes
wellsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
The Marvel
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 150
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot069 View Post
the sooner, the better
Good for you.


Bad for the hundreds out there who liked the movie, and want to see something exiting and new for the next Superman movie.

__________________
The Man Of Marvels
The Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
Etienne
Make God Laugh
 
Etienne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,012
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

The Strike has already hit some talk shows, expect more talk shows to suffer later.
http://www.nbc10.com/entertainment/14475981/detail.html

__________________

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
WhatsHisFace
Banned User
 
WhatsHisFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: In school. (and cool)
Posts: 39,016
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

I already sent my script ideas to WB. They won't use it I'm sure, but it's a decent outline.

WhatsHisFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 AM   #14
Angeloz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,960
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

It takes time to write. They often have a week or sometimes less to write them. So it's easier said then done. That's also assuming that things won't go wrong or actors won't need time off for some reason. It's not a perfect world.

Angeloz

Angeloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
Clark Kent
Superman
 
Clark Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 5,053
Default Re: Writer's Strike Coming Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsHisFace View Post
I already sent my script ideas to WB. They won't use it I'm sure, but it's a decent outline.
Wow. Five years. Over 39,000 posts. And banned. That's pretty sad, . What the hell did he do?

__________________
Look, up in the sky. It's a bird. It's a plane. It's SUPERMAN!
Clark Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #16
Retroman
Side-Kick
 
Retroman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 20,559
Default The Official Grant Morrison Thread

From Entertainment Weekly:
Quote:
Comic-Con: Mike Mignola, Grant Morrison, Matt Fraction and other comics creators convene at EW's Visionaries panel
Jul 25, 2008, 02:36 AM | by Dafna Pleban

Categories: Comic-Con 2008

EW's own Nisha Goplan served as a moderator for the panel consisting of some of the biggest, most creative names in comics today: Jim Lee, John Cassaday, Matt Fraction, Mike Mignola, Robert Kirkman, Colleen Doran, and Grant Morrison. At this kind of event — where news and announcements take a back seat to questions like, "Why do you work in comics?" and "Who inspires you?" — watching these guys interact was half the fun. Whether it was Kirkman needling Morrison about his reading-in-the-bath(tub) habits (Kirkman: "Is that where you wrote Seaguy?") or Morrison asking Doran to go into greater detail about her Aquaman crush (Morrison: "Beard or no beard." Doran: "As long as he's slick.") fans got a chance to experience the personalities behind their favorite books.

Perhaps the most interesting questions had to do with the ways in which recent Hollywood exposure and interest has begun to change the medium itself. Some creators, like Morrison and Fraction, sounded frustrated that many now view comics as merely a stepping stone to film. Fraction pointed out that comics don't need to worry about silly things like physics or reality, so why follow the same cinematic rules? The best question, however, came from the audience: One person asked the panelists who they thought were the up-and-comers to watch; the Luna Bros (Girls), Jonathan Hickman (Nightly News), Jason Aaron (Scalped), and Derek McCulloch (Stagger Lee) were some of the names they offered.

And even though this was not the place for any announcements, a few telling pieces of info did drop:

1. In response to a question about the origin of the infamous six-page splash of the Batcave in All Star Batman and Robin, Jim Lee mentioned that he's working on a similar splash for the Gotham City skyline in a future issue.

2. Speaking of ASBAR, while it was originally planned as an eight-issue miniseries, it will now likely wrap up at 20 issues, Lee mentioned. "See you in five years!" he said.

3. Grant Morrison noted that he pitched a Superman movie last year, but it didn't take.

4. Regarding the next (and last!) issue of Planetary, John Cassaday managed to dodge the question during the panel. Afterward, however, he was overheard telling a fan that he is working on it now, but there are no concrete plans for its release yet.

5. Following a question about whether he would return to penciling after writing for so long, Mike Mignola mentioned that he just finished penciling a comic for the first time in years, but he didn't say what it was.

6. And as to whether or not BPRD and Hellboy will be reunited, the cagey way Mignola said "no" spoke volumes: "I don't see it happening, really, sort of. There's some weird s--- coming up." Take from that what you will.
SOURCE:http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008...-con-stan.html

If it's okay with the mods i thought this might deserve it's own thread seperate from the general SDCC thread.

__________________
Avatar courtesy
Retroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #17
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 76,066
Default Re: Grant Morrison's Superman Pitch Rejected

Good. I don't care for Grant Morrison. He is like the Howard Stern of comic writers. He does things simply for the sake of shock value which covers up for the fact that he ain't that talented, yet no one wants to call him on it.

__________________
Avatar by Hunter Rider
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #18
Mister J
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Mister J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Aww, isn't that cute ...BUT IT'S WRONG!!!!!
Posts: 36,474
Default Re: Grant Morrison's Superman Pitch Rejected

Other than the revelation that there's still nothing concrete about another Superman project, this doesn't bother me at all. Morrison can be entertaining at times, but he has far too much of an inclination to just do something ...'off'.

We don't need some grand re-imagining of the character to have it succeed at the box office.

__________________
So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there’s always madness. Madness is the emergency exit… you can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away… forever.
Mister J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #19
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?
 
I Am The Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dance Dance (Bane's) Revolution
Posts: 12,563
Default Re: Grant Morrison's Superman Pitch Rejected

I wonder just "what" WB wants from Superman...

__________________
Before SHH, your miserable, insignificant little life was laughable. Now that you've found SHH, have you noticed you've become more popular? Suddenly EVERYONE wants to hang out with you.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,246
Default Re: Grant Morrison's Superman Pitch Rejected

^Honestly, I really think they don't know. Just look at how much trouble they have had putting the character back on the big screen since Superman 4. It's amazing they have had such a difficult time with this character.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #21
Nixon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 472
Default Re: Grant Morrison's Superman Pitch Rejected

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
I wonder just "what" WB wants from Superman...
Hundreds of millions of dollars.

Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #22
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?
 
I Am The Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dance Dance (Bane's) Revolution
Posts: 12,563
Default Re: Grant Morrison's Superman Pitch Rejected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
^Honestly, I really think they don't know. Just look at how much trouble they have had putting the character back on the big screen since Superman 4. It's amazing they have had such a difficult time with this character.
I know. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon
Hundreds of millions of dollars.
That too.

__________________
Before SHH, your miserable, insignificant little life was laughable. Now that you've found SHH, have you noticed you've become more popular? Suddenly EVERYONE wants to hang out with you.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #23
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 33,422
Default Re: Grant Morrison's Superman Pitch Rejected

I've been saying it for a while now, a movie about Superman's constant battles to get on the bigscreen would be far more entertaining than any Superman movie could ever be.

I just think that WB is overthinking it. Just follow the moderen comics and let the director add his little bit of spice and oh yeah....Finally give us a f**king cool ass super battle with a villain. That early 80's obvious wirework fight with dudes in goofy black suits don't cut it anymore nor do Landschemes. Have a big bad ass adventure with the most powerful hero in comicdom. And stop casting Lois based on looks, I have no problem with Bosworth as an actress or person for that matter but she is quite simply wrong for Lois Lane.

I still don't want a sequel and will be annoyed when the press release comes, but if Singer and Bosworth are Holmes'd I'd be laughing with glee all the same.

__________________
Come think with us:http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.com/

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #24
bunk
superhero fan
 
bunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9,477
Default Re: Grant Morrison's Superman Pitch Rejected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Good. I don't care for Grant Morrison. He is like the Howard Stern of comic writers. He does things simply for the sake of shock value which covers up for the fact that he ain't that talented, yet no one wants to call him on it.

I like some of his stuff. His All Star Superman run has been excellent.

__________________
If a ghost exists, that means the world's broken. — Howard Kremer
bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #25
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 10,745
Default Re: Grant Morrison's Superman Pitch Rejected

Hmmmm.....still a lot of talk.

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.