The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Where should the new Superman movie begin?
Krypton 18 32.14%
Smallville 8 14.29%
Metropolis 30 53.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #76
X Knight
Taking a Break

Default Re: IGN Is Fixing The Superman Film Franchise

right. And besides focusing on Jor-El, how bout focusing a little more on Lara, as well. Show that baby Kal-El had 2 loving birth parents, which makes their sacrifice/death and sending him away all that more painful and sad.....

oh....and how bout keeping BOTH KENTS ALIVE! This time, DON'T KILL JONATHAN!

After all, Supes already lost both his birth parents. Plus, it would be a nice change of pace to have a superhero who wasn't "driven" to become a hero due to the direct death of a love one(s).

Disney Lover and Proud!!

Last edited by X Knight; 08-23-2008 at 12:30 PM.
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #77
Moviefan2k4
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSuperman
I've been asking for a new krypton since I was 10. I'm tired of seeing a frozen wasteland ruled by arrogant white dudes wearing night gowns...

Quote:
"My friends you know me to be neither rash nor impulsive..."
That sort of dialogue was meant to explain how Kryptonians are supposedly thousands of years ahead of us. "Superman: the Movie" scribe Tom Mankiewicz deliberately wrote Jor-El's dialogue to be very stilted and elegant...almost Biblical, according to him.

Moviefan2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #78
Brainiac58
Side-Kick

A mature movie sounds great. A dark Superman sounds like a bad idea. I agree 100% that dark works great for Batman but that you need to play up the inspirational angle with Superman. Bring on some major bad guys!

Brainiac58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #79
lujho
Side-Kick

"Movies like 300 have proved that physical size can be convincingly faked through CG"

Umm... what the ****? Why do people think this? What kind of mental deficient thinks the muscles in 300 were somehow digitally enhanced? They just used buff guys FFS!

lujho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #80
DarkSuperman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Bats View Post
right. And besides focusing on Jor-El, how bout focusing a little more on Lara, as well. Show that baby Kal-El had 2 loving birth parents, which makes their sacrifice/death and sending him away all that more painful and sad.....

oh....and how bout keeping BOTH KENTS ALIVE! This time, DON'T KILL JONATHAN!

After all, Supes already lost both his birth parents. Plus, it would be a nice change of pace to have a superhero who wasn't "driven" to become a hero due to the direct death of a love one(s).
Excellent, my friend. Two other points I forgot to mention. Thanks for putting that in. You're right, his mom needs some props too. And having both kent's worked out quite well for Lois & Clark on tv they were one of the best parts of the show! Why does everybody always have to die? His parents haven't been dead in the comics for years! In fact...having dead really just annoys me. He's already lost a whole planet, his birth parents, and the whole world thinks he's a nerd...does he have to be an orphan too?! Damn, cut the man a break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post

That sort of dialogue was meant to explain how Kryptonians are supposedly thousands of years ahead of us. "Superman: the Movie" scribe Tom Mankiewicz deliberately wrote Jor-El's dialogue to be very stilted and elegant...almost Biblical, according to him.
I'll give that to you, when I was a kid it was all very cool and grandiose. However, now that I'm an adult I'd like to see something new. Possibly have Jor-El be the most passionate man on the planet so he stands out. While others are being all tight assed Jor-El should be the one being loud and making his voice heard, which could possibly lead to him annoying the council and them ignoring him out of spite.

Sort of a squeaky wheel gets sent to the phantom Zone thing...

I can totally see Jor-El being the most outspoken and passionate on the planet, while everyone else is very boring and arrogant.

NAPOLEON
DarkSuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #81
Hole Shot
Better Than Smurfberries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman Reese View Post
Nolan got an enormous amount of heat for not using Elfman's music. Everyone universally agreed that the score was one of the best things about Burton's Batman. I remember videos of people putting the teaser and trailer for BB to Elfman's score. People incessantly complaining about it.

But he definitely made the right decision b/c that score was synonymous with Burton's Batman. He was trying to redefine the character distinct from Burton's and changing the music went a long way with that. The same thing needs to happen with Superman. As good as the Williams score is they must replace it if they want to redefine the character away from the Donner films.
Straight up listening with no connection to Batman just as music, I prefer Elfman's score. However, I think as related to their movies the Zimmer score fits Nolan's Batman better than Elfman's would have. Elfman's theme is the more heroic sounding theme but Zimmer's has more of the suspensful thriller sound that's consistent with Nolan's film.

If that makes any sense.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:03 PM   #82
the gael
Side-Kick

the guy who made the list is 100 % right. Stick to it and you may have a great superman movie.

the gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #83
Ocramed
Side-Kick

Agree with most here EXCEPT the desire to get rid of John Williams score and frozen Krypton. If that's the case, you might as well get rid of the theme for "Star Wars", "Star Trek", "Terminator", etc. They are too established in pop-culture to get rid of (which is why they used a part of the theme from the TV Hulk for the recent film). They changed the theme and style in Batman because it became associated with the campy style of the first four Batman films. In that regard, there was a NEED for a change in order to bring the Bat franchise back to its roots as a crime drama. Superman has always been on the fantastical side, but the humor was secondary. As for Krypton, I LIKE the alien contrast between Krypton and Earth.

So, no, KEEP the Williams score and the crystal Krypton. THOSE elements were cool.

Ocramed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #84
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

if a reboot is the route being taken, this is a pretty decent guide to go by. it did make me cringe though at the idea of condoning CGI muscles....ugh.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #85
Timstuff
Banned User

Default Re: IGN's Ten Requirements for the Superman Film We've always wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Alright I'll bite: how is Donner's origin story different from the comic book (which I admit I don't read a lot of)?
Pa Kent dying, for one.

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #86
MaceB
Side-Kick

This list really demonstrates why WB has been all turned upside about this project. They want to do something new and exciting with the character, but there are certain aspects of the previous films that no one wants to let go of. WB would like to have their cake and eat it too: reboot the series, but keep the score, etc. ... but I really hope they reject that impulse. Superman I and II were both really sweet, but they are in the past and we have to let them go completely in order to give Superman room to grow. I personally liked SR, because I think Singer got the character right (despite the fact that its the kind of character other people don't like) ... but its biggest problem was that it didn't know whether it should be a new Superman movie or just a rehash of the originals. WB has to be brave on this one and go completely new.

MaceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #87
Hole Shot
Better Than Smurfberries

Are they asking for a reboot or just eliminate Returns but remain within the Donner franchise with some tweaks?

Old 08-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #88
smooth3006
Banned User

they MUST keep the same superman score for any future film. i get goosebumps every time i hear it. honestly when i saw the incredible hulk when banner first turned and his eyes turned green it gave me chills. the only thing it was lacking was the tv show chimes that occur. the point is don't mess with success.

smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #89
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

A darker superman movie with a score like williams wont work. I mean it doesnt make any sense to try something new and then bring back parts of the old.

8Diagrams(WU) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #90
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Default Re: IGN's Ten Requirements for the Superman Film We've always wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
I agree with you. Make a new origin film for a new generation with new music, an original movie (what a concept!) with all the other traits that IGN mentioned. That would be perfect.
I agree 110%

Old 08-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #91
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

This article is a bit stupid and naive. It asks for a new Superman for a new audience but then goes on to say that you should bring the original theme back and that the actors have to have respectful resemblances to Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder who supposedly are the template of what the characters look like today.

When DC says darker, I believe they are talking about making the presentation of the movie in a modern setting, with modern themes and characters. Superman cant be presented as a the guy holding the american eagle boyscout type because that wont translate well into a movie the general audience will pay to see repeatedly. The previous score and stylistic details of the previous movies are no longer accepted by an audience that is more sophisticated. Bringing them back would be a VERY big mistake. If you are looking at doing at a reboot in style with the hulk reboot, you cannot bring over any of the previous elements that creates association to the previous films for obvious reasons.

8Diagrams(WU) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #92
darkseid26
Banned User

i just hope we don't get a fortress in the jungle

darkseid26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #93
teseract
Banned User

IGN is 100% right. Keep the origin and music and go wild with everything else, that would be the way to go, A shame it won't be happening.

teseract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #94
Coleman Reese
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Diagrams(WU) View Post
This article is a bit stupid and naive. It asks for a new Superman for a new audience but then goes on to say that you should bring the original theme back and that the actors have to have respectful resemblances to Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder who supposedly are the template of what the characters look like today.

When DC says darker, I believe they are talking about making the presentation of the movie in a modern setting, with modern themes and characters. Superman cant be presented as a the guy holding the american eagle boyscout type because that wont translate well into a movie the general audience will pay to see repeatedly. The previous score and stylistic details of the previous movies are no longer accepted by an audience that is more sophisticated. Bringing them back would be a VERY big mistake. If you are looking at doing at a reboot in style with the hulk reboot, you cannot bring over any of the previous elements that creates association to the previous films for obvious reasons.

Coleman Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #95
batman44
Go Speed GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkseid26 View Post
i just hope we don't get a fortress in the jungle
I would actually skip on the Fortress of Solitude if the film is the origin or early days of Superman.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #96
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

I don't mind if they change the FOS for the reboot, although IMO it will always be the best version as it has a timeless feels to it. However, they cannot get rid of the Williams score!

I know a lot of people believe people will associate it with Donner's movies, but honestly I don't thats the case. I think most people simply associate that theme to Superman and that's it.

When people hear that theme they don't go, "Hey its the Richard Donner Superman music." People think "Superman". This Williams score is the perfect theme. Have someone do what Ottman did or just hire Williams.

I remember when John Smoltz threw his 3000 strikeout and they started blaring the Williams Superman theme over Turner Field. Man I got goosebumps!

Old 08-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #97
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superark View Post
I don't mind if they change the FOS for the reboot, although IMO it will always be the best version as it has a timeless feels to it. However, they cannot get rid of the Williams score!

I know a lot of people believe people will associate it with Donner's movies, but honestly I don't thats the case. I think most people simply associate that theme to Superman and that's it.

When people hear that theme they don't go, "Hey its the Richard Donner Superman music." People think "Superman". This Williams score is the perfect theme. Have someone do what Ottman did or just hire Williams.

I remember when John Smoltz threw his 3000 strikeout and they started blaring the Williams Superman theme over Turner Field. Man I got goosebumps!
when people hear the Williams score they also think about C Reeve. and thats nto a good thing when you reboot superman.

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #98
DieSmiling
WINNING

Guys, you can't reboot without getting a new score. You need a new score. It's the same as Batman -- nobody could imagine a good Batman movie without Elfman's score... Until they got one.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #99
Cousin Itt
Side-Kick

I almost want a sequel so I can see Doomsday eat that annoying kid.

- Unknown
Cousin Itt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #100
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
when people hear the Williams score they also think about C Reeve. and thats nto a good thing when you reboot superman.
i believe thats true to an extent, but in my opinion Chris Reeve will always be in folks' mind to some degree.