The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Where should the new Superman movie begin?
Krypton 18 32.14%
Smallville 8 14.29%
Metropolis 30 53.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #101
dark_b
Side-Kick

Default Re: IGN Is Fixing The Superman Film Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superark View Post
i believe thats true to an extent, but in my opinion Chris Reeve will always be in folks' mind to some degree.
look you can not remind people when watching the movie about Reeve. this is not the plan.
the minute a random guy says tha this reminds him about the old movie..........game over.
plus you can be sure that the whole movie and theme will be different so tha tthe Williams score will nto even fit in.
in SR it did because it was meant to be a semi sequel.this not.

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #102
DieSmiling
WINNING

Quote:
i believe thats true to an extent, but in my opinion Chris Reeve will always be in folks' mind to some degree.
Just like Michael Keaton will always be Batman?

Old 08-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #103
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

^Exactly.

Although Kevin Conroy was always my Batman.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #104
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
^Exactly.

Although Kevin Conroy was always my Batman.
you mean he was always your batman voice right?
i never understand how Conroy and Skywalker can be the perfect batman and joker.
i get that they have the best voices.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #105
X Knight
Saber Class

and just as Kristin will always be my Lana........

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #106
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
look you can not remind people when watching the movie about Reeve. this is not the plan.
the minute a random guy says tha this reminds him about the old movie..........game over.
plus you can be sure that the whole movie and theme will be different so tha tthe Williams score will nto even fit in.
in SR it did because it was meant to be a semi sequel.this not.

Of they are not going to go out of the way to remind people of the Reeve films. I'm sure most things will be completely different. But no matter what the context of the movie, the Williams score will always fit in when it is Superman, at least in my view. But also like I said, I think the Williams theme just represents more than just a director or actor. I even think of the Williams theme when I read the comics.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #107
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieSmiling View Post
Just like Michael Keaton will always be Batman?

Keaton never defined the role of Batman like Reeve did with Superman. Keaton had a whole body of work before that role and others after. Reeve couldn't escape the role. He became even more associated with the role after his accident.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #108
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Of they are not going to go out of the way to remind people of the Reeve films. I'm sure most things will be completely different. But no matter what the context of the movie, the Williams score will always fit in when it is Superman, at least in my view. But also like I said, I think the Williams theme just represents more than just a director or actor. I even think of the Williams theme when I read the comics.
Donners superman movie was to bigfr their times. the same wit hReeve. thats why IMO you think that it will always be right.
how can you say that it will always fit? i know that batman is not the right example. but the tone in SR was very similar thats why it fits.
a superman movie can feel completely different. i guess we will have to wait and see.

the TF score was very good IMO. i am not saying that it is superman material. of course people will be comparing it to Williams.
but the TF theme (first OP transformation in the alley) was epic. and it would with some modifications fit in a superman movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKewx...eature=related

Old 08-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #109
Hole Shot
Better Than Smurfberries

Quote:
i never understand how Conroy and Skywalker can be the perfect batman and joker.
thank you.

I never really watched B:TAS until way after the fact (DVD release) because I really don't watch TV shows. So it's always been hard for me to understand people that are married to these voice actors and throw them into discussion with live action versions of the characters. I mean if we're going to there, then damn, the guy that did the voice for the Knightfall radio play should get his due for playing Batman.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #110
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Must I get into the details? You know what I mean.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #111
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Must I get into the details? You know what I mean.
some guy was saying that Conroy would be the best batman in a movie so i had to ask you.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #112
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
some guy was saying that Conroy would be the best batman in a movie so i had to ask you.
He's too old. If he were younger...maybe.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #113
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
He's too old. If he were younger...maybe.
i agree.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #114
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
Donners superman movie was to bigfr their times. the same wit hReeve. thats why IMO you think that it will always be right.
how can you say that it will always fit? i know that batman is not the right example. but the tone in SR was very similar thats why it fits.
a superman movie can feel completely different. i guess we will have to wait and see.

the TF score was very good IMO. i am not saying that it is superman material. of course people will be comparing it to Williams.
but the TF theme (first OP transformation in the alley) was epic. and it would with some modifications fit in a superman movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKewx...eature=related
I believe the reboot will not use the Williams score, although I don't think they should or have to, but thats me. I don't ever see them doing something so drastic with Superman that the Main Theme could not work.

I think there can be good scores made for Superman, just none that will ever be as good or embody Supes like the Williams score. Then again I think that is also just a problem for most composers when you compare them to greats like Williams.

Like ya said, we will have to wait and see.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #115
Bulletproof
Side-Kick

The problem is simple to fix...
Just Hire Williams to do a new score!

Bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #116
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSuperman View Post
I've been asking for a new krypton since I was 10. I'm tired of seeing a frozen wasteland ruled by arrogant white dudes wearing night gowns...can we see some black, Asian, or Latin kryptonians, please?

ALSO, I'd love to see a lush world diverse world not so different from our own with advanced technology just like the one in the animated series. In addition to this updated Krypton I'd LOVE to see an updated Jor-El similar to the one in the comics...one who resembles his son! No more Jor-El's played by old dudes who look like Santa Claus!

Make Jor-El look like Superman! Mid-30's, good looking, dark hair, etc. He should be the "Superman" of Krypton. Not some white haired dude who walks around talking like he's bored. "My friends you know me to be neither rash nor impulsive..."

Jor-El should have gusto and charisma...so you can see where his son gets it.
Agreed 100%. I want something close to classic Krypton as Shuster designed it.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 PM   #117
bomb_voyage
Newbie First Class

Hey how bout you put a new score in the movie, and if the fans react badly to it, you change the score back to Williams for the second movie.

bomb_voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #118
KobiKai
Side-Kick

IMO a new score will show right from the beginning that this is a new Superman so don't expect the same old crap

Old 08-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #119
batlovescatDC
Tragic Love

I agree with absolutely everything that they said, except for one thing. No Williams! I wouldn't mind if they brought Williams HIMSELF back and had him create a brand new theme that's just as good as the original (or maybe even better). But whereas I love Williams' original Superman theme, in order for this to be a TRUE reboot, the theme needs to be abandoned and a new one created. It's been used in every movie of the original Superman film series... this is supposed to be the beginning of a new Superman film series, so let's actually make it NEW! This means absolutely everything, including the music.

NO reboot has used the theme from the previous series/film. They all came up with original themes. The idea of using Elfman's theme in BB or TDK was never even considered. Everybody says, "They said the reason they didn't use the theme is because Batman isn't fully developed, but Superman is so they should keep the theme." No, my friends, Batman not being a fully developed character was the reason why they didn't CREATE a true theme for Batman... and then they have said that they really don't think an epic theme really works for the character in their films. Nolan, Zimmer, and Newton Howard, have all three gone on record saying that they never even thought about putting Elfman's theme in.

And this is just one of the examples of a new series abandoning the theme of the original. So, looking at reboot history, to all the people who want the theme back..... don't get your hopes up.

Last edited by batlovescatDC; 08-24-2008 at 09:15 PM.
batlovescatDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:38 AM   #120
Lestat74
Side-Kick

If you are going to reboot, then this is what I think they should do.

There should be nods to the Donner Superman, but not so much that people think it's an extension of it. the Crystaline look of both the Fortress of Solitude and Krypton should more or less remain. You can tweek it somewhat ( maybe add things to the fortress like in the comics ) but don't change it for the sake of changing it. Change the Williams theme. Yes, it's prefect, but if you really wanna make it clear this is a fresh start, that needs to go first. It's associated with the Reeve Superman too much.

Have the first half hour take place on Krypton. But use this as an oportunity to introduce lots of Kryptonian concepts that will play out later in the movie and later films. Take a good look at stuff that Geoff Johns has done; he took the three Phantom Zone criminals and added depth to them and layers and a real motivation for hating Jor-El. Add Brainiac to the start of the film as well....the recent re-intro of Brainiac in the recent Action comics run was very cinematic, and is a totally non cheesy way of explaining Kandor. Tie all these elements into the first act of the movie, really making Krypton a living breathing place before it goes. Once Jor-El and Lara send the baby to Earth, and we see it crash in Smallville, we CUT TO METROPOLIS.

We don't need to see the Smallville years again. It's been covered very well in the original Superman, 8 seasons of the tv show, and even flashbacks in Returns. I doubt anything in a new version would deviate too much anyways from any of those, so why retread it? The Smallville years can be mentioned in passing later, but we don't need to see it.

Have Lex be there...he needs to be, pulling the strings. He is Superman's antithesis. As Grant Morrison has said, if Superman is the God who thinks he's a man, the Luthor is the man who thinks he's a God. But Superman needs someone to fight, something alien and menacing, and it should be Brainiac, come to Earth to find the Last Son. Leave the Phantom Zone criminals for part II.

That's it for now...but I have to say I agree with most of that IGN list.

Lestat74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:07 AM   #121
CGHulk
Green Guy

I agree with IGN. But I too think Superman needs a new opening theme! We need a director like Zack Snyder who's a huge comic fan and makes films faithful to the source material, and has a butt load of talent!! Oh and ILM should do the visual effects!! I don't want to see fake looking rubber man flying around anymore! They could do so much in camera too. Weta over in New Zealand claim they have the technology to make CG photoreal, which will be seen first in James Camerons Avatar. There is no reason to not have Superman's suit to be exactly faithful to the comics. It seams that some directors lack the imagination to believe it can be so. Oh and I want Superman's eyes to turn red when he gets angry. They need to find a damn good actor to play Superman, like Johnny Depp acting ablility!!! They need to not leave anything out in this one!! I want to be ****ing totally blown away by this one!

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

Last edited by CGHulk; 08-26-2008 at 04:17 AM.
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #122
dark_b
Side-Kick

i want a scene like that in the movie. superman super pissed.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:36 AM   #123
daywalker2007
Banned User

having seen the watchmen trailer on Imax before TDK,

i have to say if someone can do superman with a similar tone to Watchmen,

i will wet myself!!

that trailer looked bloody awesome, something which superman needs to be like.

visually stunning.

imagine a superman movie like that!!

daywalker2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:47 AM   #124
Mentok
Side-Kick

Unhappy Re: IGN Is Fixing The Superman Film Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker2007 View Post

i will wet myself!!

visually stunning.

No.... Just no.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:48 AM   #125
CGHulk
Green Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker2007 View Post

i will wet myself!!

visually stunning.

You are so right in terms of it needing to be visually stunning!!!

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote