The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 08-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #276
Octoberist
point blank

Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

it just seems like it's in Development Hell. Recently, WB/DC's Green Lantern was suppose to shoot in Aussie but the dollar rose over there, so the budget of the film would have doubled. that's why Green Lantern is filming back in the states.

Perhaps right now, the dollar is too strong Down Under, and with a climbing budget, I think the producers are trying to sort things out with The Phantom.

Anyway, IN that link, wow Boyle really held back info (and went on talking about his other project) until he was asked repeatedly about The Phantom.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #277
The Guard
Side-Kick

Right, but it's ALWAYS been in development hell. What indication was ther eto suggest it hasn't been?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:54 AM   #278
Walker
Side-Kick

I have belief that the Ghost Who Walks will manage to break out of development hell sooner or later. He managed it back in 1996. He's the Man Who Cannot Die, after all.

Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #279
Octoberist
point blank

There's a part of me who wants a dude like Paul Pope to work on the concept art for the film. He's awesome.

Anyway, I just think that...they need some studio support, or a friggin' awesome creative team behind it to make The Phantom work. I'm talking about getting some real talent, and attracting them to the project.

I'll say it again: I've seen trailers to Boyle's work and I HATE TO JUDGE MOVIES LIKE THAT, but they look like direct to DVD movies. Unless we're dealing with a dude whose like a young James Cameron in his Piranha 2 days, I can't see him making a good Phantom piece.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #280
Walker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
There's a part of me who wants a dude like Paul Pope to work on the concept art for the film. He's awesome.

Anyway, I just think that...they need some studio support, or a friggin' awesome creative team behind it to make The Phantom work. I'm talking about getting some real talent, and attracting them to the project.

I'll say it again: I've seen trailers to Boyle's work and I HATE TO JUDGE MOVIES LIKE THAT, but they look like direct to DVD movies. Unless we're dealing with a dude whose like a young James Cameron in his Piranha 2 days, I can't see him making a good Phantom piece.
Well, his movies are all extremely cheap, it seems. I thought The Plex looked funny, but I haven't actually seen it. And remember, he won't actually direct the thing (if it gets of the ground), so I wouldn't worry too much about him "making a good Phantom piece". The guys at King Features are apparently crazy about the script, and with a talented director, I'm sure we could be in for a really cool Phantom movie.

Anyway, the SyFy series looks much better than I expected (look at the awesome shot here: http://muse.ca/4105/fiche.asp?id=177 ), so I'm now really looking forward to that one too. Whatever happens with "Legacy", we're in for an exciting time when it comes to the Phantom (Dynamite are going to start publishing their take on the character in a while). With a good, commercial take on TV or the big screen, I feel the character could catch on like never before. Either way, the Phantom is getting something of a ressurection, despite never having been gone at all.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #281
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Now that you mention it, I would like to see someone like Alex Ross or Neal Adams do concept work on a Phantom film.

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #282
Walker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue trooper View Post
Now that you mention it, I would like to see someone like Alex Ross or Neal Adams do concept work on a Phantom film.
Well, Ross is doing the covers for the upcoming Dynamite Phantom series, as well as re-designing the costume, so you never know.

Neal Adams would be perfect to draw a Phantom story. His old colleague Dick Giordano did many Phantom stories for Scandinavian publisher Egmont.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #283
Octoberist
point blank

I dont understand who owns what with The Phantom..unless the owners can lend out the character to any company that can pay up. like moonstone and dynamite.

I'll be honest..I prefer Dynamite over Moonstone. I think the talent pool over there is much richer and yet, they still stay indie. Moonstone, from what I've seen, can be a hit and a miss sometimes.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:51 AM   #284
willemjoker
Side-Kick

What's everybody's casting ideas?

For me, it's Jon Hamm as The Phantom and Rachel Weisz as Diana.

willemjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:17 AM   #285
Walker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I dont understand who owns what with The Phantom..unless the owners can lend out the character to any company that can pay up. like moonstone and dynamite.

I'll be honest..I prefer Dynamite over Moonstone. I think the talent pool over there is much richer and yet, they still stay indie. Moonstone, from what I've seen, can be a hit and a miss sometimes.
King Features owns the property. Moonstone and Dynamite has non-exclusive deals to publish the Phantom, but Dynamite will wait with their take until Moonstone have finished theirs.

I think Moonstone has done an extraordinary job with the character.

Quote:
What's everybody's casting ideas?

For me, it's Jon Hamm as The Phantom and Rachel Weisz as Diana.
Hamm would be great. I'd prefer Michelle Monaghan for Diana personally.

Still hope they could manage to get Sam Worthington to play the part one day, he'd be perfect in terms of look, voice and acting style.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #286
Walker
Side-Kick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X74WvxfvyM4

Trailer for the SyFy mini. Looks damn good, actually, except the fact that the costume looks... Well, see for yourself. Better than the original concept art (at least there is some kind of mask here), but still too far away from resembling the real Phantom, and waaaay too Batman Begins/Robocop-like. However, since we get to see the old costume here (briefly), maybe they will have flashbacks to the 1st or 21st Phantom wearing it, that would really be a wonderful nod to longtime fans of the character.

Ryan Carnes looks excellent as Kit Walker. A very promising choice of actor.

Looking forward to the series, I really am. However, if the Legacy project gets of the ground, I hope it will give us a hero who, well, resembles the Phantom a lot more than this. I trust it will.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #287
KenK
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X74WvxfvyM4

Trailer for the SyFy mini. Looks damn good, actually, except the fact that the costume looks... Well, see for yourself. Better than the original concept art (at least there is some kind of mask here), but still too far away from resembling the real Phantom, and waaaay too Batman Begins/Robocop-like. However, since we get to see the old costume here (briefly), maybe they will have flashbacks to the 1st or 21st Phantom wearing it, that would really be a wonderful nod to longtime fans of the character.

Ryan Carnes looks excellent as Kit Walker. A very promising choice of actor.

Looking forward to the series, I really am. However, if the Legacy project gets of the ground, I hope it will give us a hero who, well, resembles the Phantom a lot more than this. I trust it will.
I don't know. This looks about seven kinds of stupid to me.

KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #288
Octoberist
point blank

yuck. he looks like Judge Dredd with a hoodie.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #289
Walker
Side-Kick

I think the series itself looks pretty good, it's the costume that is the problem. Like I said it looks too much like Robocop or something. Or Judge Dredd, like Octoberist points out...

Still, fingers are crossed the final product will be a case of quality entertainment from the SyFy channel (BSG showed they ARE capable of it).

Old 09-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #290
Octoberist
point blank

they can always change it if the show's a hit. but overall it's a bad design.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #291
deathshead2
Side-Kick

Wow, that was ugh kind of bad. I'll watch it, but I swear if this gets picked up for series(Theres a good chance as SyFy minis are always hit, of course Lost Room wasn't picked up I blame that on the crappy Warehouse 13) then that costume has to go. One of the important parts about the Phantom is the sense of Family/Legecy and all that.Hes also called the "Ghost who walks for a reason". His costume isn't going to strike terror at the fact that they just killed this guy before. Most will go "Am I wearing 3D glasses cus Robocop is coming right at me?"

So I'm hopeing by the end of the mini Kit learns that and puts a remade version of the old suit on. To respect has family name, and not whine like a baby that hes wearing underware on the outside of his spandexk.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #292
Walker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathshead2 View Post
So I'm hopeing by the end of the mini Kit learns that and puts a remade version of the old suit on. To respect has family name, and not whine like a baby that hes wearing underware on the outside of his spandexk.
Agree 100 percent.

Quote:
they can always change it if the show's a hit.
If it's a hit I suspect they'll just keep it the way it is.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #293
KenK
Side-Kick

Quote:
If it's a hit I suspect they'll just keep it the way it is.
Exactly. If it doesn't appear broke, they won't fix it.

Dude looks like a freakin' Armadillo! And is it just me, or were his guns purple-trimmed?!?! And what's with the douche-knit cap he's wearing when the hood of his costume is down?!?!? Sweet merciful f*** nuts!!!

The costume aside, everything else about the show just seems rather stupid. We've got agents in suits, scientists putting him through tests in labs, etc. Even futuristic updates of the Phantom like the DC (or was it Marvel?) Comic, or Phantom 2040, ever took things that far. Even with the introduction of advanced technology, things were very simplified, and the Phantom's true identity was known only be a chosen few. Here, it seems like there's an entire clandestine organization that's backing him. The simplicity of the character just seems to be getting lost in a lot of Sy-Fy cliches.

KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:24 AM   #294
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

It looks like ****ing Flash Gordon 2007.

At least BSG and SGU looked like they had some decent production values.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #295
Symbiotic
Let's go catch a Spider

God. And I thought the new Phantom suit looked bad in the concept art.

Symbiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #296
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

This thing just doesn't scream "Phantom", in general. When I saw the shot of the classic suit I had a slight feeling of hope, but ofcourse, he had to say "I'm not wearing that". No, dude, you're wearing something much more clumsy-looking. A guy wearing SWAT gear!! Wow!! The stuff legendary-classic characters are made off! Look at Green Arrow in Smallville. Couldn't they have given us something like that?!!

I really hope "Solomon Kane", which seems to be making the fans(i'm one of em') of the character and books very happy and is a foreign independent production, gets to be a solid success worldwide, that way, some international independent film company will take a chance with another classic pulp(or pulp-like) character like The Phantom and give us what "we" want.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #297
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Yeah but doesn't that star James Purefoy of the Philanthropist? That show was freaking awful.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #298
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Well, haven't seen The Philantropist, so I wouldn't know, but I do know he was very good in Rome.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #299
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, Ross is doing the covers for the upcoming Dynamite Phantom series, as well as re-designing the costume, so you never know.

Neal Adams would be perfect to draw a Phantom story. His old colleague Dick Giordano did many Phantom stories for Scandinavian publisher Egmont.
Come to think of it, Sal Velluto's rendition of The Phantom is what more than likely Neal Adam's Phantom would look. Very similar style.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:12 AM   #300
The Guard
Side-Kick

That looks like ****. Pure ****.

The actor is apparently a nonactor, and the very premise looks generic and cliched.

I knew what I was in for by the time I heard "I'm not wearing that".

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote