The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 11-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #376
KenK
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tim Boyle's The Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post

I'm not sure "updating" his character a la Nolan would work in the case of The Phantom because a big backbone to his character is that kind of golden-age era feel. At the same time, I wouldn't want it to be super cheesy or campy. So it's a very fine line I think.
As I'm sure we've discussed before, the very nature of the character does lend itself to being updated. The issue is, how a filmmaker chooses to update it. I actually wonder if you couldn't do something similar to what was done in Burton's first Batman film, blending past/present elements. There's clear acknowledgement of the present day, but mix in a few visuals and bits of dialogue harkening back to that golden age, pulp comic era. Create this world around the Phantom in a certain way, and updating the character becomes and easier, more organic task.

KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:04 AM   #377
Walker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
As I'm sure we've discussed before, the very nature of the character does lend itself to being updated. The issue is, how a filmmaker chooses to update it. I actually wonder if you couldn't do something similar to what was done in Burton's first Batman film, blending past/present elements. There's clear acknowledgement of the present day, but mix in a few visuals and bits of dialogue harkening back to that golden age, pulp comic era. Create this world around the Phantom in a certain way, and updating the character becomes and easier, more organic task.
Or they could just use the "real world", which is the one featured in the comic (mostly!).

The Nolan Batman films did something really interesting in that the world of the Dark Knight is ALMOST a plausible one. The same would work well for the Ghost Who Walks.

BTW, the Zane film heads to Blu Ray this February, with a fantastic cover:
http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Blu-ra.../dp/B002XUBDYM

Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #378
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

For the fans of the 1996 film, it's coming out in Blu-Ray!!

http://www.chroniclechamber.com/

It comes out Feb. 9, 2010. The sad thing is that there appears not to have special features.

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #379
Kokomo29
"You're my #1 uh-guuuy!"

Have there been any updates regarding this movie lately?

"Do you want me to take him down or would you rather send in more guys for him to beat up?"
(Clint Barton, my friend. You. Are. Awesome.)

Kokomo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:56 AM   #380
james82
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue trooper View Post
For the fans of the 1996 film, it's coming out in Blu-Ray!!

http://www.chroniclechamber.com/

It comes out Feb. 9, 2010. The sad thing is that there appears not to have special features.
i taped it of tv yesterday,will have to watch it again soon

james82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:03 AM   #381
Octoberist
point blank

yeah, what is up with this project? Is it dead in the water?

Old 04-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #382
BlackLantern
Banned User

I think so, id like to see it happen...but who knows?

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #383
spawnjack01
Side-Kick

What do you think of this approach of the phantom as a movie? Also curious to know what you think of the manip itself

It's Sam Worthinton btw.

spawnjack01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #384
superhero
Side-Kick

does any one know when the patom tv show comes out?

superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:30 AM   #385
cronosred
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
does any one know when the patom tv show comes out?
The RHI Entertainment website said the new made for tv movie will air on the syfy channel in June.

Last edited by cronosred; 04-16-2010 at 12:35 AM.
cronosred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #386
Walker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
yeah, what is up with this project? Is it dead in the water?
Probably. The Australian film financing has "broken", leaving them to suddenly loose half the budget or so. I can't see Legacy getting off the ground in its current big budget state, but I hope the producers come to their senses and revise the script so that it can be made for, say, 30 million or so. You don't need an enormous amount of money to make the Phantom work. The character doesn't demand massive action scenes, all you need is a guy in a cool costume scaring the crap out of bad guys in the dark jungle night.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #387
Octoberist
point blank

that's pretty damn sad.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #388
Walker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnjack01 View Post
What do you think of this approach of the phantom as a movie? Also curious to know what you think of the manip itself

It's Sam Worthinton btw.

AWESOME!!! Thank you so much for making this thing, it is my new wallpaper. Fantastic. Yeah, I'd kill to see such a movie! Setting it in the 1500s would really make it stand out from other comic book movies.

Please make another one!

BTW; I have seen the SyFy Phantom, which as said earlier here will air June 20. It's actually good. I'd rate it 7.5 out of 10. Good script, mostly good acting, and even the new costume works surprisingly well (still not great but better than the pictures you've seen of it indicates).

Last edited by Walker; 04-29-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #389
Walker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
that's pretty damn sad.
Yeah, it's frustrating beyond words. I was so looking forward to it. Then again, you get used to bad luck in terms of movies and TV when you're a Phantom fan like myself, so many projects have been rumoured/announced and never happened (the great Sergio Leone was scouting locations for his Phantom movie project once, for Christ's sake).

Old 05-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #390
spawnjack01
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
AWESOME!!! Thank you so much for making this thing, it is my new wallpaper. Fantastic. Yeah, I'd kill to see such a movie! Setting it in the 1500s would really make it stand out from other comic book movies.
Glad you liked it! (Glad someone liked it with the lack of response it got)

The thing with the phantom is that he doesn't need to be that much uppdated. The character has lived on and evolved in other countries than the US, so for instance where I live (in Sweden) he's one of the most familiar superheroes on the market.

The Phantom story is pretty straight forward as it is. But it do need alot of tweaking (as they did with Superman I).
I've read people who thinks the whole white man leading black africans is rasism. I don't thinks so, it's more of an outdated world view that does belong in the fifties.

But that is easily solved by making the Phantom and the Bandarians more equal. They both benefit from one another. The Bandarians help the Phantom fight the evil he sworn himself to fight, and he helps them as a mediate to the western civilization.

Another wierd thing the basic story has, is that through 21 generation's the Walker family gives birth to not only boys, but boys who grows up to look identical to their ancestors.
Well... The comics has always accepted magic, vodoo, and sha-man storylines. They could have the first Kit Walker get tendered to by a Bandarian sha-man, when he floats ashore dying on the beach after being shipwretced by pirates.
They make a pact that for as long as he and his son stays and protects the Bangarian people along with the Bandarians, the ancient spirit of the Phantom will live in him.

The Phantom has the unique possibility to actually have the hero die in battle, only for the son to take over. That makes for much better drama then when we know the hero will always win in the end.

Last edited by spawnjack01; 05-07-2010 at 10:04 AM.
spawnjack01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #391
Airwings
Waves of air

I really like that pic showing a darker Phantom 1st. It make me believe it would work with an origin story film straight through.
The Billy Zane one came in a time when the superhero genre was heading towards the bad. It's a different world now, peoples' taste have changed. And superheroes are bigger than ever right now. I for one would very much like to see Hollywood making a new attempt with this character. It can work very well.
Imagine "Indiana Jones meets Blood Diamond" and there you have the style. Phantom needs to be as dark and gritty as possible, while still have that adventure feel to it.

The father and son thing sounds a lot interesting. But could Zane play the old Phantom or would it be too much like a sequel?
Since they make it all in Australia, I had Mel Gibson in mind for the father. I even suggested it at some message board. But the response was that he isn't bad-ass enough. Huh?! After his roles in Braveheart and Lethal Weapon I am pretty sure he can be a really tough guy. And now we have learned he's bad-ass in real life too.

But I want a much higher budget for this film than 87 million $. Also, an experienced director. Simon Wincer wasn't good enough, 15 years ago. We need someone better.

Last edited by Airwings; 06-01-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #392
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

If they want to do a new Phantom movie, they should look no further than Dynamite's "The Last Phantom". That comic series has effectively brought The Phantom to the attention of today's readers just like "Project Superpowers" and Kevin Smith's "Green Hornet" series:

Old 06-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #393
Octoberist
point blank

its sad how this film just fell apart..

Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #394
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

....with so many comic films coming out and others being developed, I'm sure a new Phantom project will be in development soon(just not with Tim Boyle involved). You know, I wouldn't be surprised if maybe Disney, if their "John Carter" and "The Lone Ranger" films are successful, will pick up The Phantom as another "classic" character which they could revamp. Who knows?

Old 06-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #395
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
....with so many comic films coming out and others being developed, I'm sure a new Phantom project will be in development soon
Just what I am thinking. The Phantom must be one of the esiest superheroes to film. He hasn't any powers, just like Batman. But unlike him he hasn't any gadgets either. He's just a tough guy in spandex.

But I rather not have Disney doing this. It shouldn't be too family friendly and entertaining like Pirates of the caribbean.

Any director suggestions for Phantom?

Old 06-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #396
KenK
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Just what I am thinking. The Phantom must be one of the esiest superheroes to film. He hasn't any powers, just like Batman. But unlike him he hasn't any gadgets either. He's just a tough guy in spandex.

But I rather not have Disney doing this. It shouldn't be too family friendly and entertaining like Pirates of the caribbean.
Huh?

Quote:
Speaking of Pirates of the Caribbean, I'd love to see what Gore Verbinski would do with the material. He's dabbled in several different genres, and I think especially the swashbuckling adventure of the Pirates films would play directly into the character of the Phantom, as his legend within the context of the comic, began in that particular era.

Another good choice I think, would be Martin Campbell.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #397
Airwings
Waves of air

KenK: Pirates of the caribbean may be good films, at least the first one. But do you seriously want Phantom to be that corny? Should the pirates who nearly kill him be like Jack Sparrow?
Then wen have a campy Phantom movie once again, just a little more modern than the Billy Zane one.

I rather have a more dramatic feel to it. Master and commander has that style, kind of. And this is not a discussion about why the Russel Crowe film performed badly at the box office. I am just referring to its style.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #398
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Quote:
Aahh, but you should really check out the first storyarch of Dynamite's The Last Phantom(#s 1-6 or TPB). There's a slight techno-element added to the character that is very appropriate in highlighting The Phantom's mystique. Again, just a slight/little techno. It's not Phantom 2040 by any means.

Quote:
Well, it maybe shouldn't be as "goofy" as POTC, but I could think of worse things than being as entertaining as POTC. The Phantom should provide a little bit of Batman's menacing aspect, but it should also be a little bit more fun. Think the spirit of "Mask of Zorro" and "Green Lantern".

Quote:
This could be something Martin Campbell could do very well.

Last edited by rogue trooper; 06-02-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #399
Airwings
Waves of air

Agree on The Phantom being menacing. A mysterious man who can hide in the trees and attack when you least expect it - just like they did in a certain scene in Batman Begins.

Martin Campbell in all his glory. His James Bond films made impacts. But after his Zorro franchise and Green Lantern, I do not think he wants to do more superhero/comic book stuff. Not even a known character at all, no matter what genre.

Last edited by Airwings; 06-07-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #400
KenK
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, it maybe shouldn't be as "goofy" as POTC, but I could think of worse things than being as entertaining as POTC. The Phantom should provide a little bit of Batman's menacing aspect, but it should also be a little bit more fun. Think the spirit of "Mask of Zorro" and "Green Lantern".
Well, despite the goofiness of the Jack Sparrow character, the world of POTC definitely had a tone that was family-friendly without being goofy at all. At the end of the day, it certainly lived in the pulp adventure vein of films that were probably a big influence on The Phantom.

And like I said, Verbinski's a versatile director, having done drama, horror, action/adventure, comedy, etc.