The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 10-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #76
sdc10
Side-Kick

Default Re: Please, no "Superman Begins"

I really dont care what the hell they show in the movie whether it be origin or not just as long as they make a good movie

sdc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #77
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
If they're REALLY making a different fresh approach to Superman's origin then I'm all for it. If they are actually going to explore his psyche and reasons and dilemmas and will not merely showing him in amazing CGI shots. Yes why not.

But if it's only same story with better effects then no.
I don't get why people seem to think it would be the same story with better effects. Yes, the essentials will be there, a scientist saves his son from a dying planet by putting him on a ship to Earth, but compare STAS' origin story to S:TM. Compare Lois and Clark's to the comics. Hell, even compare pre-crisis (which S:TM is based on) to post-crisis. There are tons of fresh ways to re-tell the origin. Just because the criminally overrated Richard Donner movie did it, doesn't mean its impossible for anyone to do it better.

The logic behind posters like Jamie baffles me. Should we shut down the NBA because the 95 Bulls were really good or should teams aspire to be better than them? Everyone knew Peter Parker was bit by a radioactive spider. Didn't stop Spider-Man from making a **** load of money and capturing the interest of the public. A creative, original, re-telling of the origin is definitely in order.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #78
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

It won't be the same story, it will be totally different. If they are going to do an origin flick, I would prefer it more in the vein of Batman Begins which some of you might have mentioned.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #79
bgshw44
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
It won't be the same story, it will be totally different. If they are going to do an origin flick, I would prefer it more in the vein of Batman Begins which some of you might have mentioned.

Thats what I hope.I dont want the movie to start at the beginning etc..

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
bgshw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #80
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
I agree.

Prior to SR, I would've said an origin isn't necessary. But in order to distinguish this series from SR and even Smallville, a new origin story should be done to avoid any confusion.

And really, now is the best time with the technology available. Superman has one of the best origin stories ever. Would be great to see it all on the big screen.
To be honest I dont particularly want to see his origin, but from a general audience stand-point, if they are re-booting, they need to tell it IMO.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #81
bunk
superhero fan

I wouldn't be at all against seeing the origin again. I'd like to actually see Krypton the way it should be and a more interesting back story for the FOS. At the same time, I would like to see Superman throughout the entire movie starting with the first scene.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #82
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
To be honest I dont particularly want to see his origin, but from a general audience stand-point, if they are re-booting, they need to tell it IMO.
Almost the same. Plus, I've never been completely satisfied with all of the other takes on the origins. I'm hoping if the origin is done, it's done superbly.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #83
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

So, if we are seeing the origin again - are we talking of a 'Flash Gordon/Mongo-esque' Krypton here? the 'Byrne' version of Krypton? A Krypton with cities styled like the comicbook Kandor or something completely fresh and new?

Old 10-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #84
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Hopefully a mix of all the above!!!

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #85
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I don't get why people seem to think it would be the same story with better effects. Yes, the essentials will be there, a scientist saves his son from a dying planet by putting him on a ship to Earth, but compare STAS' origin story to S:TM. Compare Lois and Clark's to the comics. Hell, even compare pre-crisis (which S:TM is based on) to post-crisis. There are tons of fresh ways to re-tell the origin. Just because the criminally overrated Richard Donner movie did it, doesn't mean its impossible for anyone to do it better.

The logic behind posters like Jamie baffles me. Should we shut down the NBA because the 95 Bulls were really good or should teams aspire to be better than them? Everyone knew Peter Parker was bit by a radioactive spider. Didn't stop Spider-Man from making a **** load of money and capturing the interest of the public. A creative, original, re-telling of the origin is definitely in order.
Agreed 100%

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #86
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Agreed 200%.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #87
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

^ fans who make sense.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #88
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator

Am I in that group?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #89
Nirvana
Slowly Losing My Mind

Please, yes "Superman Begins".

And I'll try not to sing out of key.
Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #90
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

I'm not gonna lie I thought superman returns was a good movie and gets really harsh criticism, but I think everyone realizes that its not getting a sequel. However, SR is a good measuring rod of what worked and what didn't, namely the donner movies. I mean people were salivating at the mouths when they heard of all the connections it would have to STM. You see where that got us, now people want to make the exact same mistakes as SR. In order to reintroduce these characters you need to start out at the beginning of their journey, not in the middle of it. Nobody says that has to be in smallville, but it has to be at the daily planet at the very least. Some posters here think that STM will explain everything in a new film series, guess what, they tried that, it didnt work, people were confused as hell. I think it comes off as arrogance to think that people actually care about STM anymore, thats why superman begins is necessary.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:34 AM   #91
8wid
Banned User

I think this is more about establishing an origin story for Superman, rather than having him already in existence. Origin stories just weaken the character because they long, excessive, and just drag on. Having the character already formed and firmly in place gives everyone the hero they want without needing to find out where he came from. The origin could always be told in the credit sequence before the actual film begins, such as the narrator announcing Superman's brief background. The old Superman serials and films did it, so can the new era media.

8wid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:11 AM   #92
millennium movies
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8wid View Post
I think this is more about establishing an origin story for Superman, rather than having him already in existence. Origin stories just weaken the character because they long, excessive, and just drag on. Having the character already formed and firmly in place gives everyone the hero they want without needing to find out where he came from. The origin could always be told in the credit sequence before the actual film begins, such as the narrator announcing Superman's brief background. The old Superman serials and films did it, so can the new era media.
Exactly its been done time and again not to mention beaten over the head:

Fleisher Cartoons
George Reeves series
S:TM
STAS
Lois & Clark
Smallville
SR (refresh since Donnerverse)

Not to mention all the other material such as comics and other cartoons/books/mediums.
Also don't give me the "those series are old" speech as they were all refreshed and came out as box sets after Superman Returns. How about we just do it the Hulk way and get right into it without boring us with this origin bull thats been dragging the Superman character for the past 10 years plus now?

Last edited by millennium movies; 10-09-2008 at 04:19 AM.
millennium movies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:29 AM   #93
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

If they wanted to do a new origin now there are only two ways they should do it at this point if they wanted to.

1: Have a prequel movie of Krypton's last days before starting a new franchise
2: Make a new theme song for the next movie, and while it's playing on screen show the New Krypton and Clark's growing up in flashes (something like they did with the latest Incredible Hulk movie)

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:37 AM   #94
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
just place superman in a real world. no flying pigs and no flying cars. a normal working city of tomorrow. and a flying man.
I thought of that once. The problem with it is... In order to provide a real challenge for Superman, Earth technology has to be way beyond what it is in the real world. There's no real way to stop that kind of tech from spreading across the globe, especially not with people like Lex Luthor in the world, so it wouldn't take long at all for this "real" world to become a sci-fantasy-type world, killing your idea

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #95
GreenKToo
In the fire

I don't mind the origin retold as long as it doesn't take 40 mins or longer before we get to see Superman for the first time.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #96
Reebee52
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru-zod2501 View Post
If they wanted to do a new origin now there are only two ways they should do it at this point if they wanted to.

1: Have a prequel movie of Krypton's last days before starting a new franchise
2: Make a new theme song for the next movie, and while it's playing on screen show the New Krypton and Clark's growing up in flashes (something like they did with the latest Incredible Hulk movie)
I actually wouldn't mind a fall of Krypton prequel. If done right, that could transcend a minor comic book story and read like Shakespeare.

However when they don't do that, because they won't, I think the next Superman movie needs an origin. It doesn't have to be forty minutes, but it should be done. Most run-of-the mill moviegoers don't know squat about Superman. I've had more than enough people ask me "wait... If it's pieces of his home planet, why does it hurt him?" They don't know who Jor El is, they don't know his real name is Kal El. These are important part of the mythos that the general audience is oblivious to!
We can't assume people watch Smallville or read comics, because most don't. And most people today haven't seen Superman: The Movie. And even if they have, damn that movie has dated. I want to see a Superman for this generation, with a Krypton that isn't a popsicle and Clark's parents aren't ninety.
As someone said, Batman Begins was not really necessary. Batman's origins are far simpler than Superman's, in summary: his parents were shot by a mugger and that drove him to fight crime any way that he could. But that concept was made deeper and broadened and made fresh in Begins. Superman doesn't need that much origin, but it could be refreshed in such a way that people go nuts about it.

Reebee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #97
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

Guys, the Superman origin isn't a factual event, or encyclopedic knowledge. It's not about anyone really knowing it. It's a story. It's about telling it and enjoying it. That's why it worked in Begins. What, Burton's Batman didn't have an origin? He did show how Batman came to be and the movie was set during his first appearances. Most of the Superman media that are blamed of showing the Superman origin more or less did the same thing. But there was a story, a bigger and beautiful story, to tell about Batman. And there is one about Superman, too.

NeoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #98
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Almost the same. Plus, I've never been completely satisfied with all of the other takes on the origins. I'm hoping if the origin is done, it's done superbly.
If they do it a certain way it could be very good, but will the GA responsd to it? Thats the essential question.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #99
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
I don't get why people seem to think it would be the same story with better effects.
I don't even know. Maybe that little thing called Hollywood and the way they do things most of times?

Quote:
Yes, the essentials will be there, a scientist saves his son from a dying planet by putting him on a ship to Earth, but compare STAS' origin story to S:TM. Compare Lois and Clark's to the comics. Hell, even compare pre-crisis (which S:TM is based on) to post-crisis. There are tons of fresh ways to re-tell the origin. Just because the criminally overrated Richard Donner movie did it, doesn't mean its impossible for anyone to do it better.
That's true. That's what I meant by "If they're REALLY making a different fresh approach to Superman's origin then I'm all for it."

Then again, after many years watching these movies I can't just assume they'll just do it the right way.

Donner has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
The logic behind posters like Jamie baffles me.
The logic behind quoting me on this one baffles me.

Quote:
Everyone knew Peter Parker was bit by a radioactive spider. Didn't stop Spider-Man from making a **** load of money and capturing the interest of the public. A creative, original, re-telling of the origin is definitely in order.
In fact the radioactive/genetically altered spider did nothing for Spiderman. It didn't change a thing nor it was a biug contribution nor even creative. Spiderman 1 got its audience for entirely different reasons that had to do more with an entertaining narrative than anything else. 90% or more of the GA didn't give crap about the little changes such as the radioactive spider.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #100
AnorexicBatman
Side-Kick

I would like to see something like in a comic I once read
Superman busts into a Cobra base and beats them up. After he does so, a news report comes on the television stating that Lana Lang, who was currently a religious leader of sorts in her homeland Nepal has just passed away. Superman cries and reminisces about he old days when he had first met her.

The comic shows him as a teenager traveling the world looking for purpose. The interesting part is this one panel where Lana and Clark are walking down the steps of a Buddhist temple in the Himalayas and there is this distinct "BAT" shaped shadow of a man walking up the stairs

Lana shudders and says something like, "That man gives off a rather dark aura? He scares me"
Clark smiles and says that there may be more to him that that...

After Batman Begins, I read the comic again and thought that a Bale cameo or even bat motif when and if Clark travels the world would be AWESOME!!

Raditz had triggered a memory that Vegeta wished never existed. He grabbed Raditz by his neck, lifted him up a good few feet off the ground and slammed his body into the large metallic wall behind them, paying no heed to his cries of mercy and slowly tightening his grip, “DON’T YOU EVER! REMIND ME OF THAT AGAIN!!”
AnorexicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote