The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 10-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #101
I3atMan

Default Re: Please, no "Superman Begins"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoRanger View Post
I've never seen Superman's origin. I wasn't alive in 1978.

I was alive in 78 but I still want to see an updated origin story told on the big screen.

I think there is so much that can be done with the Superman origin that has not been done yet. I'm positive that SM:TM isn't the end all be all of SUPERMAN!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #102
mjbull23
Beyond Good and Evil

I don't know what the grand plan is for the next Superman movie. One thing I do know is that this is a great time to be a Superman fanboy. Particularly here on the internet forums, where fear, rumors, lies and action are all about to collide in the coming months.

Some of you are apprehensive, others are downright stressed, maybe even panicking, as for me...I find it extremely entertaining.

I think a reboot would be fine, but If the origins are retold, Id rather that the movie only dedicate a 20-30 min max time allotment for that.

This next Supes flick has to come right out of the gate and imediately set the tone for the rest of the movie. So if your going to start at the beggining, then show me how volatile, and unstable the political and ecological climate on krypton was. What drove Jor El to such extreme measures that he felt he had to send his infant son into the vastness of space. What did he see that terrified him so much? That filled him with such foreboding doom certainty.

Lots of character conflict, and here's something else I rarely see mentioned, but howabout a fight sequence showing Jor El squaring off against one or two counsel members (Kryptonian fisticuffs).

Do they fight differently than humans do? How do they interact with each other as a society? Are their motivatons different than humans?...I want some insight into Kryptonian Civilizaion. But again....20-30 mns max. This next movie has a lot of ground to cover, and I don't want the entire first half of the film bogged down with a retelling of the origin.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #103
Nirvana
Slowly Losing My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbull23 View Post
I don't know what the grand plan is for the next Superman movie. One thing I do know is that this is a great time to be a Superman fanboy. Particularly here on the internet forums, where fear, rumors, lies and action are all about to collide in the coming months.

Some of you are apprehensive, others are downright stressed, maybe even panicking, as for me...I find it extremely entertaining.
QFT.

And I'll try not to sing out of key.
Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #104
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

I completely disagree with the OP. A "Superman Begins" is absolutely necessary if Superman is to become beloved by a whole new generation. "Everyone already knows Superman's origin" is a common catchphrase, but I'm not so sure anymore. Fewer people under 20 nowadays have watched the Donner movies. Bruce Timm's animated series from the 1990s, seen as "recent" by people here, is before the time of a twelve year old today (the show ended and went off the air when that kid was 4).

For many people, especially the young demographic who a superhero movie should try to grab, Superman Returns was their FIRST exposure to the character. They didn't know anything about him, yet the movie started off by telling everyone that they already missed the character's greatest adventures, everything that made him Superman. That alienates newcomers right there. It alienated ME, and I'm familiar with the character. However I wanted to see a new big screen Superman for MY generation, reinterpreted to fit current styles but still remaining faithful to the source. Instead we got a sequel to the Donner movies, in a weirdo post-Superman story that came across more like a bookend to the series than a new beginning.

BB was a success because it reintroduced Batman right from the beginning and made him cool. People were brought on board for the journey. SR was a disappointment because it was made primarily to satisfy Singer's fanboy love for Donner's old movies. People just didn't connect to Brandon Routh's Superman as much as they did to Bale's Batman, because they were left on the outside.

ClarkLuther55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #105
kalelkilla
Side-Kick

100% agree with CL55...they need to get back to the comics and away from Donner...Like BB they need to go back to the comics and fill in the blanks of Clark Kent's origin, just Like Nolan and Goyer did for Bruce Wayne. Waid's "Birthright" arc is a great place to start, as is Jeph Loeb's Superman for All Seasons. A mix of the two stories I think makes a great backbone for a terrific Superman movie...These are great "starting points" to grab new fans and to update Superman for the new generation...you sure as hell can't assume that "everyone knows Superman's origin," Cuz most people don't. Do you know how many times I was asked, "When did Superman bang Lois?" You have to start from the beginning.

kalelkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:36 AM   #106
BULLITT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoRanger View Post
I've never seen Superman's origin. I wasn't alive in 1978.
Reading helps. Reading + images = Comic(s) - 'Seeing'.

BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 AM   #107
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

LOL @ all the people who still quote my first -sarcastic- post, when two posts after that, I explain it.

NeoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:50 AM   #108
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

So you were alive in 1978?

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:57 AM   #109
NeoRanger
Side-Kick

No. But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself
I've seen the movie, I've seen the Adventures of Superman, I've seen L&C, Smallville, TAS and read a buttload of comic books from all three origin eras, plus stand-alones.

What I've never done is walk into a theater and watch a Superman film I can call my own. Watching Returns was like going to my dad's high school reunion in his place. What do I have to say with these old guys?

NeoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #110
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelkilla View Post
100% agree with CL55...they need to get back to the comics and away from Donner...Like BB they need to go back to the comics and fill in the blanks of Clark Kent's origin, just Like Nolan and Goyer did for Bruce Wayne. Waid's "Birthright" arc is a great place to start, as is Jeph Loeb's Superman for All Seasons. A mix of the two stories I think makes a great backbone for a terrific Superman movie...These are great "starting points" to grab new fans and to update Superman for the new generation...you sure as hell can't assume that "everyone knows Superman's origin," Cuz most people don't. Do you know how many times I was asked, "When did Superman bang Lois?" You have to start from the beginning.

What I like from Birthright is Clark traveling the world trying to find his destiny. I don't like Waid's Krypton. I would like to see a film that bases Krypton on either Byrne/Wolfman's MAN OF STEEL, or the Timm/Dini animated Superman. Give me a blend of those and I'll be happy.

Oh, and I'd much rather see a blend of Dean Cain's and George Reeves' Clark.

As for Supes... maybe a blend of Chris Reeve and George Reeves.

BTW, I was watching a terrible movie last night that starred Josh Hartnett (August - the movie's title) and thought he has a great look for Superman.

DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #111
Reebee52
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTyler View Post
What I like from Birthright is Clark traveling the world trying to find his destiny. I don't like Waid's Krypton. I would like to see a film that bases Krypton on either Byrne/Wolfman's MAN OF STEEL, or the Timm/Dini animated Superman. Give me a blend of those and I'll be happy.

BTW, I was watching a terrible movie last night that starred Josh Hartnett (August - the movie's title) and thought he has a great look for Superman.
Birthright was the first Graphic Novel I read and is still one of the best. It captured Superman's character and origin really well, and would be a great place to start. Though what was wrong with his Krypton? I thought it was great, and was in-tone with Bruce Timm's (also great). I really loathe the icy planet that was in SM:TM and Smallville. It needs more character.
Krypton's problems could be a perfect trope for Earth's today, if done right. Politcal unrest globally, a dangerous environmental catastophe that is controversial... It's perfect, and should be shown.
And if I recall: wasn't Josh Hartnett once up for the role? In one of the canceled scripts like Superman Lives?

Reebee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #112
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebee52 View Post
Birthright was the first Graphic Novel I read and is still one of the best. It captured Superman's character and origin really well, and would be a great place to start. Though what was wrong with his Krypton? I thought it was great, and was in-tone with Bruce Timm's (also great). I really loathe the icy planet that was in SM:TM and Smallville. It needs more character.
Krypton's problems could be a perfect trope for Earth's today, if done right. Politcal unrest globally, a dangerous environmental catastophe that is controversial... It's perfect, and should be shown.
And if I recall: wasn't Josh Hartnett once up for the role? In one of the canceled scripts like Superman Lives?

Try to get your hands on a copy of Man Of Steel. It's quite a bit different from Waid's Krypton. In fact, it's different in look and tone from all of the other versions ... and I think it would be awesome on the big screen.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #113
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

I agree.

I always felt Man of Steel literally screamed to be adapted cinematically.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #114
Double Down
A New Kind of Thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTyler View Post

Sure, if you like your Superman to have a unibrow and greasy hair.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #115
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Hartnett looks like a village idiot in that pic.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #116
OwlBoy
Side-Kick

What? How?

OwlBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #117
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

The mono-brow and 'I cut it myself' haircut.

Dude looks as simple as a person can get.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #118
Double Down
A New Kind of Thrill

I have never seen the appeal:

Old 10-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #119
kalelkilla
Side-Kick

Krypton is the least important aspect of the origin...and should be maybe 10 minutes of the movie...it is true that the parallels of Krypton and Earth can be made and should be shown like Reebee52 said, but what is more interesting is what a young adult Clark Kent did on EARTH between leaving Smallville and arriving to Metropolis as a journalist. That has never been shown on the big screen and should make Superman more "human," as we understand his motivations to becoming the world's savior...what DROVE him to be SUPERMAN?...what inspired him? This has to be shown. The traveling the world aspect as a freelance journalist is a good one that Waid establishes in Birthright...he is trying to fit in...trying to find his mission in life, much like Jesus wandering the desert...trying to figure out, "What the hell should I do with all this power!?"

Old 10-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #120
kalelkilla
Side-Kick

p.s. Hartnett is the worst choice for ANY role...

Old 10-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #121
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Even in a film where he's playing himself.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #122
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledown44 View Post
Sure, if you like your Superman to have a unibrow and greasy hair.

WTH?? That's no Superman. Even though I think he is cute, not here but in some movies.

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks
Mostpowerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #123
Mostpowerful
*SUPERMAN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledown44 View Post
I have never seen the appeal:

I can't see it either.

avatar by lere - @stargazer0118 - Superman wears trunks
Mostpowerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #124
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelkilla View Post
Krypton is the least important aspect of the origin...and should be maybe 10 minutes of the movie...
And here we go again.

Yeah, it's the least important aspect of the origin if all you think it's about is Jor-el decides the planet is going to blow up and sends his baby off to Earth.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #125
kalelkilla
Side-Kick

Yeah well...that's pretty much what happens...there have been different versions, but in the end, they all have "Jor-El decides the planet is going to blow up and sends his baby to Earth" in common...the only reason to expand on Krypton scenes is to establish the origin of the possible villain...