The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Don Cheadle taking over for Terrence Howard in Iron Man 2?
I'm all for it, bring on Don Cheadle! 106 38.41%
Recasting sucks. Marvel should have kept Terrence Howard! 134 48.55%
I don't care one way or the other. 36 13.04%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 04:55 AM   #1076
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,409
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Don Cheadle was a vast improvement over Howard.

Like everyone's already said, Cheadle's Rhodey was a very no-nonsense authority figure that Howard just couldn't pull off. You saw Cheadle's Rhodey and just knew that he was a guy in charge. I can't tell you how much it bothered me how 'soft' Rhodey was portrayed in the first movie. That part with the major talking down to him during the jet sequence always bothered me.

Rhodey: "Major we don't even know what we're dealing with call off the Raptor"
Major: "That UAV just blah blah blah Whiplash 1 if you have a clear shot TAKE IT!"
Rhodey: :just turns away:




Which is why I totally relished the brief scene where Cheadle's Rhodey makes it a point to put him in his place when he removes the arc reactor from the Mark II:

Major: "Do you think that's the power source?"
Rhodey: "Major, this is not a science project. Keep your focus blah blah blah"
Major: :softly: "Yes sir."

That's not to say that the scene in IM1 was Howard's fault, its in the script. I'm just saying that I can't imagine him being able to convincingly pull off that scene in IM2 the way Cheadle did. That among a bunch of others.

Cheadle was miles ahead of Howard and I kinda wish we had him to begin with.

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.
LostSon88 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #1077
Jozef
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 27
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

why terrence was replaced:

terrence said he thought he was gonna be in Iron Man 2 so I doubt he wanted more money, especially since Don cheadle seems like he makes more money then terrence... anyway they switched to Don simply because terrence was too tall and they didnt want war machine taller then Iron Man, primarily during the final scenes when they were fighting side by side.

Jozef is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #1078
GhostPoet
Side-Kick
 
GhostPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,447
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

No offense to the actor...but he just wasn't right for Rhodey. He came off very weak...not convincing as a military officer at all. It was just a poor casting choice.

__________________
Living for others is reward enough
GhostPoet is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #1079
BatJeff7786
Side-Kick
 
BatJeff7786's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,254
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

I heard from someone working on the film that he drove Favreau nuts because he was always in his trailer smoking pot instead of being on set. Not sure how true that would be, but I think that's pretty hilarious if true.

__________________
For the Star Trek Sequel: NO SHATNER. NO KAHN. NO BORG. You've spent all this time setting up a new universe: GIVE US SOMETHING NEW!
BatJeff7786 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #1080
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien
 
the dmg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Returning some video tapes...
Posts: 5,013
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Again that's why I was fine with Rhodey knowing how to use it and knowing how to gain access to it when Fury and Black Widow mentioned the firewalls and Rhodey bypassed them. he bypassed them because Tony Stark clearly gave them to Rhodey.

As for the arc reactor, it was always indicated that the reactor also powers the suits and its instruments. So I don't know about it not needing one. And why would Tony build additional reactors for the old armors?
You have to remember that in the comics, Rhodes was able to use the IM armor without an arc in his own chest because each suit has it's own power source.

__________________
the DOG, the MAN, the GOD
the dmg is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #1081
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick
 
DJ Kornphlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,171
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!




DJ Kornphlake is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #1082
marvel_freshman
Side-Kick
 
marvel_freshman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,361
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

I finally have found a major difference in Howard & Cheadle.

Howard was a more proper RHodey. Cheadle is way more down home. Like...hes a more realistic military guy. Howard was just way to one dimensional.

From what I remember from the Iron Man cartoon show, and sorta the comics. Rhodey was an average black man. Not an uptight proper kinda of guy, Howard portrayed. And I really wish Cheadle was in the original.

marvel_freshman is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #1083
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,409
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef View Post
why terrence was replaced:

terrence said he thought he was gonna be in Iron Man 2 so I doubt he wanted more money, especially since Don cheadle seems like he makes more money then terrence... anyway they switched to Don simply because terrence was too tall and they didnt want war machine taller then Iron Man, primarily during the final scenes when they were fighting side by side.
See...explainations like this are another reason why n00bs get so much flack on these boards. The stuff they spew out doesn't make any sense.

If that were the case, they would've dropped Howard BEFORE Iron Man 1 even began production.

Howard was replaced because for IM2 they gave RDJ a raise and asked him to take a pay cut. He refused so they signed Cheadle. Its that simple.

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.
LostSon88 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #1084
Jozef
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 27
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
See...explainations like this are another reason why n00bs get so much flack on these boards. The stuff they spew out doesn't make any sense.

If that were the case, they would've dropped Howard BEFORE Iron Man 1 even began production.

Howard was replaced because for IM2 they gave RDJ a raise and asked him to take a pay cut. He refused so they signed Cheadle. Its that simple.
did he ask for a raise, or did they just not decide to give him what they said they would? any time the studio decides to give you less money after a preexisting deal, they can intentionally be trying to push someone out.

Jozef is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #1085
louiebling$
Just Chucking with you
 
louiebling$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 707 Nor Cal
Posts: 10,143
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kornphlake View Post


Full of Win awesome:

__________________
ROBERT██CHRIS██CHRIS██SCARLETTJEREMYMARKwith CLARKand SAMUEL L.
DOWNEY JR.EVANSHEMSWORTHJOHANSSONRENNERRUFFALOGREGGJACKSON
ASSEMBLING MAY 4, 2012
"I have had a dream all my life and it was not this good." -Joss Whedon
louiebling$ is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #1086
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.
 
E-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 13,031
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatJeff7786 View Post
I heard from someone working on the film that he drove Favreau nuts because he was always in his trailer smoking pot instead of being on set. Not sure how true that would be, but I think that's pretty hilarious if true.
Hahaha, yeah that is pretty hilarious.

__________________
"Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal."- Immortal Technique

Yes. That is a quote from a rapper.
E-Man is offline  
Old 05-15-2010, 04:20 AM   #1087
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,409
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef View Post
did he ask for a raise, or did they just not decide to give him what they said they would? any time the studio decides to give you less money after a preexisting deal, they can intentionally be trying to push someone out.
Howard was the first one that signed onto the first IM. He had signed on before RDJ. Being a new studio they basically were a little loose with their finances and signed him to a deal that was probably a little more than a supporting role would merit. In fact, in the first film Howard got paid more than RDJ.

After IM, they reportedly gave RDJ a raise for the sequel and asked Howard to restructure his contract and essentially take a paycut. He refused.

You couple that with the fact that he wasn't exactly Faverau's choice for Rhodey and it made the decision to release him very easy.

Its business...all it ever is, is business.

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.
LostSon88 is offline  
Old 05-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #1088
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side
 
Blitzkrieg Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Under there
Posts: 7,211
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
-The Mark II is an outdated and FLAWED model remember. Tony had to upgrade for a reason because the Mark II when going higher had an ice issue/fuselage issue. Does this not mean that the War Machine armor is also just as flawed? How will that issue get fixed since its still essentially the Mark II armor?
I'm sure Tony told Rhodey at some point that the Mark II could not handle such high altitudes. Keeping that in mind, Jim just had to make sure he never flew that high. If we ever see him in the armor again, the problem would undoubtedly be solved. I don't think it's something they would need to explain.

__________________
Apes--together--strong
Blitzkrieg Bop is offline  
Old 05-16-2010, 03:44 AM   #1089
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,314
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

I'm sorry, but I think Terrence Howard was better suited for the role, so to be speak.

Aside from just a continuity aspect which I feel is always important, in a supporting role like this, I don't believe it's always the better actor, but who has the better chemistry with the lead that's important. Terrence undeniably IMO had much better banter and chemistry with RDJ than Don. Some of that may have to do with the script too, to be sure, but they had more than enough scenes together to draw a conclusion, and I don't see how he was an improvement in the role.

Its the same thing with the love interest, in order for it to work, its not always about who has the acting chops, its about who you believe on screen in that particular relationship. I love Don's work, and he's definitely the better actor to me overall, but I just didn't enjoy their scenes together as much as I did in the first one.

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #1090
marvelman2006
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,546
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

I think I like howard better in the rhodes role. Howard was just more believable as tony's best friend, he brought a soft more accessible approach I think. Cheadle is a fine actor dont get me wrong but he was too straight foward and not as believable as tony's BFF. I guess its because he just followed orders to much to the point where I felt like saying "dude chill out".

marvelman2006 is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #1091
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 18,088
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

I don't think I could have believed Howard if he suited up to take his best friend down. I probably would have snickered at the sight of it. Cheadle was easy to believe in that sense.

__________________
Apparently freedom costs more than $1.05
kedrell is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #1092
Mr. Earle
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,929
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

I agree with Kedrell.
I will agree though that Cheadle didnt get any buddie scenes with Tony like Howard did and maybe that didnt help some people to see the friendship between them. Howard got many buddie scenes like the lapdance one for example.

But even so, i prefer Cheadle. He was badass, he was a straight up military guy, we saw his friendship with Tony during the "lone gunslinger" scene, the drones fight and on the roof, and he is generally a great actor.

Btw, Howard is a douchebag for not accepting Marvel's terms since RDJ is the protagonist and he was the one to carry IM1 and 2.

Mr. Earle is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #1093
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,409
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelman2006 View Post
I think I like howard better in the rhodes role. Howard was just more believable as tony's best friend, he brought a soft more accessible approach I think. Cheadle is a fine actor dont get me wrong but he was too straight foward and not as believable as tony's BFF. I guess its because he just followed orders to much to the point where I felt like saying "dude chill out".
Rhodey is a soldier. That's what he does.

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.
LostSon88 is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #1094
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 23,307
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

My favorite part of Howard's performance was his reaction when he realized it was Tony in the suit. And I liked him as Rhodey, I thought he had great chemistry with RDJ, so I was disappointed to hear he wouldn't be back.

Don Cheadle is one of my favorite actors, and I thought he was really good too. I just thought some of his role seemed to be missing something - like the scene where he showed up in the suit just seemed to come out of nowhere.

But I was happy with him as Rhodey overall.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline  
Old 05-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #1095
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 8,061
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

There's a good article here on how Howard has pretty much moved on from this, and apparently is talking with Marvel about other projects. Pretty classy guy all around.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b181...y_jr_owes.html

Tony Stark is offline  
Old 05-18-2010, 02:42 AM   #1096
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,409
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Guess time heals all wounds beacuse...that's not what he was saying when he first got dropped.

Quote:
http://www.parade.com/celebrity/cele...recasting.html

Don't worry, Marvel.

"I've seen the script, I know what's going to happen, but I'm not revealing anything. I believe in karma. When someone does something wrong, you don't have to get them back. Everything right will return the favor for you. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the movie. I want to see Don Cheadle become me. No, I want him to do better than me. That's what I really want to see. Don Cheadle was the reason I got Crash, so I have a lot of love for him."
Quote:
How Iron Man 2 really stopped the race.
"Marvel made a choice, and it was a very, very bad choice. They didn't keep their word. They didn't honor my contract. They produced a great bounty with the first one but they put it all in the storehouse and you were not allowed in. They did the same thing with Gwyneth Paltrow, from what I've been told. They did it with almost everyone except Robert Downey [Jr.]. One of the things that actors need to learn to do is always stick together, one for all and all for one."
But like I said, he's obviously over it now.

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.
LostSon88 is offline  
Old 05-18-2010, 02:45 AM   #1097
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,409
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Hello again.

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.

Last edited by LostSon88; 05-18-2010 at 02:55 AM.
LostSon88 is offline  
Old 05-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #1098
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!
 
Tony Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a cave with a box of scraps
Posts: 8,061
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Yeah I remember those early quotes, right after it happened. I don't know any more than you do, but it seems pretty obvious it was about money. It's too bad they couldn't resolve it, but I think the best way to see it, is that Howard did a great job in the first one, and Cheadle did a great job in the 2nd one. That's the way it went down.

Tony Stark is offline  
Old 05-18-2010, 04:31 AM   #1099
Mr. Earle
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,929
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozef View Post
why terrence was replaced:

terrence said he thought he was gonna be in Iron Man 2 so I doubt he wanted more money, especially since Don cheadle seems like he makes more money then terrence... anyway they switched to Don simply because terrence was too tall and they didnt want war machine taller then Iron Man, primarily during the final scenes when they were fighting side by side.
They should have thought of that from the beginning. Howard was a lot taller than RDJ and i kinda hated that. Cheadle is about the same size and that also helps when he had to wear the Mark II which was tailored to Tony's dimensions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatJeff7786 View Post
I heard from someone working on the film that he drove Favreau nuts because he was always in his trailer smoking pot instead of being on set. Not sure how true that would be, but I think that's pretty hilarious if true.
LOL.

Mr. Earle is offline  
Old 05-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #1100
marvelman2006
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,546
Default Re: Don Cheadle joins IRON MAN 2!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
Rhodey is a soldier. That's what he does.
No I understand that completly but what Im saying is howard brought a more laid back approach to the character and cheadle was just more of a no nonsense and not the joking mood type. I think I just liked howards version so much that when cheadle walked in I was taken back by how serious the character was compared to the first one. I would have liked to see how howard would have handled the second movie.

marvelman2006 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.