The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 01-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #51
NoirMan82
Side-Kick

Default Re: What if...

The thing with the sidekick issue is, how many Batman stories can you tell before people are bored with him? There's not much character development you can do with someone as actualized as Bruce Wayne. Eventually it becomes; new baddie shows up, gives Batman a headache, Batman kicks his ass, lather, rinse, and repeat. You need Robin just to add a dynamic there.

I hate when people say Robin doesn't work, if that was true the character would not still be around in multiple forms across various media. He's also the 3rd most recognizable hero in the DCU next to Supes and Bats. To write such an important character off because adapting him for modern times would take a little creativity (not much, but from what I hear people throw out there...yeesh!) is lazy and does a disservice to the Batman legend. Nuff said.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #52
NoirMan82
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by markstrange View Post
Robin doesn't work in the realistic world because its child endangerment. You can't let a little kid go into battle. Its unethical and wrong and batman nor Alfred nor the entire police department would allow such a thing to happen.
But we can send teenagers to die in Iraq?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #53
petey
Side-Kick

This is my first post, I've been reading alot on here and other sites. I just dont get why everyone is so anti-robin. Yeah I agree that he doesnt need to be in the next one. But start him in the fouth. Like a refrence to the circus at the end.

He doesnt need to be thirteen maybe like sixteen. He not useless as many claim him to be. I mean Gotham is a major city; and within are street gangs whose ranks hold early to mid teenaers who kill. So the whole it being reckless is kinda mute, becuse this kid could be a force of evil but under Bruce's guidence is formed into a force of good. He could stand as a symbol that the youths of the city could accomplish good and bring about change. Because lets face it Bruce doesnt want to be batman forever.

If done correctly Robin could in fact be a well liked character. Besides not putting him in film would just be a slap in the face of batmans comic roots.

petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #54
mothy
Side-Kick

robin should be capable of surprising bruce and maybe even teaching him something new. in batman: dark victory, dick grayson does precisely that, and it lays out the best case for why robin and batman begin this partnership. there's a wonderful emotional layer to the whole thing that makes it by far the most effective robin story of all time.

mothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #55
sto_vo_kor_2000
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirMan82 View Post
But we can send teenagers to die in Iraq?
There's a big difference between 8 and 18.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 AM   #56
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Look Robin in a Nolan it's big no. This Batman himself doesn't need him.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #57
mothy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
Look Robin in a Nolan it's big no. This Batman himself doesn't need him.
no argument from me.

mothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #58
batmaluco
Run, Batman! Run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
Look Robin it's big no. Batman himself doesn't need him.
Fixed!

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

"Everything is exactly the same, except for the fact that it's all totally different." Alan Moore
batmaluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #59
Dark Phantom
Sing for me!

There's no doubt that Robin could be written respectively to the Nolan universe (in a reality where Nolan is willing to accept Robin). However, I think the main concern with everyone is that, Robin is a very hard character to cast. You need to find the perfect child/teenage actor who can pull off the following:

a) He needs to be convincingly brooding and moody without seeming whiney
b) His quips shouldnt sound corny or campy
c) HE CANNOT BE ANNOYING
d) He needs to make the audience forget about the actor and only see the character

Young actors, many times, dont connect with the audience in these types of scenarios. The general audience will always complain, "Man, that kid was annoying. He wouldn't shut up." or "His acting sucked. He was too whiney and emo." You think Bale receives enough guff about his Bat-voice? If there's a Robin, he needs to be the best damn underage actor there ever was.

Last edited by Dark Phantom; 12-06-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Dark Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #60
.: The Cal :.
Side-Kick

Batgirl before Robin would just ruin the timeline of the comics and the movies!

.: The Cal :. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #61
sto_vo_kor_2000
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by .: The Cal :. View Post
Batgirl before Robin would just ruin the timeline of the comics and the movies!
I dont see why it would.

Batgirl b4 Robin in "The Batman" didnt hurt that series at all.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #62
Indrid Cold
I'll see you in time.

I have to agree, Robin and Batgirl are not intertwined in any way. So it wouldn't matter which one was introduced first.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:23 AM   #63
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Well we kind of saw Batgirl in TDK she was there with her brother and mom in the warehouse where Harvey was holding them as hostages........

Old 12-14-2009, 01:24 AM   #64
manhattanl
Newbie First Class

I certainly don't need a Robin in this franchise, however, I bet what they do with that character would be very interesting and surprising.

manhattanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #65
lintino17

dont know if anyone has thought about this but just for a cameo thing, plus u could past him for lookin alot like Heath Ledger but i think Joseph Gordon Levitt could do a job for the joker? he was pretty gd in that 500 days of summer. i know he wouldn't be maybe as gd but u never know. when i first heard that Ledger was playin the joker a wasn't sure about it & look how that turned out.

lintino17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:31 AM   #66
J'adore
Vous

Maybe they could throw off little hints about a young Barbara being a possible Batgirl? Like maybe the Commissioner mentions her doing gymnastics or how she's a fan of Batman.

J'adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #67
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsmaniac21 View Post
agreed. robin is an outdated character and doesnt work when you are trying to take this stuff seriously. i know many will disagree but i dont think it works in the comics either. i have trouble reading anything with robin in it.
Hm... Batman and Robin is currently the second best selling DC comicbook right now. Maybe its because unlike the other batman comic books that are sold simultaneously, it has lots of Robin in it. Damian is amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
That's what I thought. Bad art, bad voices, bad stories. Just bad.
Most character designs were bad (i liked Alfred, Catwoman, Riddler and others) with Batman's being the worst. I admire the fact that they took a chance and did their own spin on some costumes like the Riddler's and the Joker's. I didnt like the latter of course, but i still respect them for trying something new. Also, Gotham and everything in it were beautifully designed.

The voice acting was amazing. Romano was great as Batman and Alfred was good too. As for the stories, it was mostly a mindless kid's show, but to say that it didnt have good stories would be unfair. Robin's introductory episode, some of Catwoman's, the Riddler episodes, the episodes where Batman teams up with other heroes, some Gordon episodes, etc were very good.

All in all i think that we should at least give the show credit for its voice acting, great world design, and its gutsy redesigns some of which were successful.

Mr. Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #68
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Now, a lot of people in here are against Robin for various reasons which i will try to adress. Keep in mind that i am defending Robin in general and not just for the Nolanverse. For all we know, the post-Nolan Batman films might be closer to canon.

1) He is a kid sidekick fighting crime.
Well we are talking about a guy who dresses up like a bat and drives a flying car in a fictional gothic city. He lives in a world where 1/3 of the population consists of costumed heroes, the other 1/3 of supervillains and the last 1/3 of their victims. Having a kid sidekick is no less unrealistic than an alien that looks exactly like a human, besides the fact that solar radiation gives him superpowers. In fact, Batman often teams up with that alien. Its fiction, deal with it.

2) Robin is cheesy. Batman should be alone, on a gargoyle, in the rain.
Robin's costume is admittedly too flashy for him to be Batman's sidekick. But other than that, Robin's story is just as tragic as Batman's so he is a pretty serious character. Besides, just because Bruce adopted Dick, it doesnt mean that he is in every comic from then on and the same could be for the movies. If a movie doesnt have any use for him, he could just have a cameo (exams at school keeping him busy or whatever).

3) Robin lightens things up.
Dick lightened things up a bit. Jason and Tim were pretty serious. But Dick is the first Robin (and the one that we'll see in the movies if Robin is ever used) so lets talk about him. Dick is an amazing character, loved by fans just as much as Bruce or Clark. His lightness is very important because (a) it lightened bruce up when he was about to lose himself in Batman, (b) it shows that even though he witnessed his parents' murder and is raised in a cave, he hasnt lost his spirit and he can still enjoy life, (c) another grimdark character would sink the ship thats already heavy on it.

4) Robin offers nothing.
O'RLY? Let's see:
a) He pulled bruce out of the darkness he was sinking in. But he also balances the story by balancing the level of grimdark.
b) He is Bruce's son, heir and sidekick. Adopting Dick and then losing him when he left to be his own man are two major points in Bruce's life. And that's just Dick.
c) Provides exposition other than Alfred's. Face it, the Batman most of you know is the one from the movies. Batman has a huge network of allies and sidekicks. Its like House. Its always about him but you need a team of doctors, Cuddy, Wilson and the patients to give you the various situations and discussions for character development.
We re just getting started on the rogues gallery, but how many times can Batman catch the same dudes before it gets stale? That's why they keep giving him new sidekicks throughout the years.
d) Because it places Bruce in a different situation where we get to see him act as a mentor and a father. Its something other than: "OMG, where are these clues leading me?", or "goddamnit Catwoman i love you but i have to lock you up. Why did i fall in love with a thief?", or "ESCALAZIONZ".

Robin plays a huge part in the Batman mythos. You have every right to hate him, but at least give him a chance before you judge him. I am willing to bet that most of you have only seen him in the movies or in an issue or two that you happened to read. You're interested in Batman, right? So why dont you guys pick up the comics and start following the canon story there? You'll inevitably be exposed to Robin and sooner or later you'll come to love him and appreciate him. If not Dick or Tim, then certainly Damian.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #69
Dark Phantom
Sing for me!

^ Well-put Mr.Earle. I agree with you 100%

Old 01-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #70
Dark Phantom
Sing for me!

double post

Last edited by Dark Phantom; 01-25-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #71
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

I don't believe in Dick Grayson.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #72
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Phantom View Post
^ Well-put Mr.Earle. I agree with you 100%
Thank you!

Old 01-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #73
ROFLCARTER

Robin? No. Dick Grayson? Yes. Bruce Wayne taking in a 16 year old is perfectly acceptable acceptable for Nolan. I wouldn't want to see him as Robin (the costume sucks balls), but as a new character to play with and unravel the mystery that is Batman and his identities would come across well, I think.

ROFLCARTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #74
sto_vo_kor_2000
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFLCARTER View Post
Robin? No. Dick Grayson? Yes. Bruce Wayne taking in a 16 year old is perfectly acceptable acceptable for Nolan. I wouldn't want to see him as Robin (the costume sucks balls), but as a new character to play with and unravel the mystery that is Batman and his identities would come across well, I think.
16 year old???

I dont know...the idea of a grown man taking in a teen boy of that age just seems wrong.

7 to 12 sounds about right.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #75
ROFLCARTER

I don't think it would be weird at all. 16 is just the age where he's young enough to be taken in and old enough to not come across as cheesy. A kid with some level on adult intelligence would be much better. Besides, at 16, a much better actor could be given the role. Someone who can add to the serious tone.

ROFLCARTER is offline   Reply With Quote