The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #576
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man
 
Hush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Planet Of OA
Posts: 15,681
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
While the Water Bearer story was great, and probably the best the character has ever been in my opinion, it's the sorta thing you have to build up to. Fact is, and I think you're missing this key point, he wasn't any more popular when he had those powers than he was before. So, you know, Hawkman of the sea isn't a guaranteed come up for the character.

Right now, his books selling better than it has in years. You know why? Decent writing. Quite frankly, that's all you really need. Not gimmicks. No powers out of nowhere.
Thank you for the sense.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I like love stories. Preferably the love stories that involve a woman without enough money to pay the pizza man, so she has to pay for it....with her vagina.
Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Hush is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #577
KingMadness
Side-Kick
 
KingMadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 567
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
You don't like Aquaman. We get it.

THATS THE THING ITS NOT JUST ME!

Ask anybody on the street and they will tell you Aquaman is lame. He needs to be tweaked, keeping him the way he is will not lead to success on the big screen.

KingMadness is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #578
KingMadness
Side-Kick
 
KingMadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 567
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Additionally the water bearer story happened at a different time and was aimed toward a different audience than that of today and the general public respectively.

KingMadness is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #579
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13,197
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
THATS THE THING ITS NOT JUST ME!

Ask anybody on the street and they will tell you Aquaman is lame. He needs to be tweaked, keeping him the way he is will not lead to success on the big screen.
Most people don't know who he is, but what do i know? I Don't live in the USA, what do you think should be changed?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #580
KingMadness
Side-Kick
 
KingMadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 567
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

So let me get this straight cause I can't believe what I'm hearing from YOU PEOPLE.

Superman can use x-ray vision, freeze breath, super speed, WW can use her lasso/tiara and can fly, Batman can use smoke pellets, Batarangs etc, Flash has super speed, Green Lantern has the power ring, Martian Manhunter can go intangible and shapeshift, Cyborg can use advanced gun fire.

All Aquaman can do in a land based fight is fight with his fists and Trident. Are you ****ing serious? So he needs to be in the water to have any sort of uniqueness, so now every fight the JL has has to be conveniently placed near water?

Let this guy be able to control small portions of water, please, just give him some uniqueness on the battlefield. He has already been shown to be able to do it, it should be a prominent part of his character, especially in JL teamups where he is mostly land based. It would be so cool.

Lol I'm asking all these random people I know and they don't give a **** about Aquaman, you gotta make some tweaks, its the only way.

KingMadness is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #581
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Moderator
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,470
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
THATS THE THING ITS NOT JUST ME!

Ask anybody on the street and they will tell you Aquaman is lame. He needs to be tweaked, keeping him the way he is will not lead to success on the big screen.
Ask those same people on the street to tell you anything substantial about Aquaman's character, and they won't be able to tell you a thing other than, "he's a good swimmer." They think he's lame because they don't know anything about him. He doesn't need to be changed, he just needs to be adapted well.

Many people would have called Thor lame before his movie too, remembering his appearances in The Incredible Hulk TV show and Adventures in Babysitting.

__________________
4.19.14
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110

Last edited by flickchick85; 09-23-2012 at 06:01 PM.
flickchick85 is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #582
KingMadness
Side-Kick
 
KingMadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 567
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Most people don't know who he is, but what do i know? I Don't live in the USA, what do you think should be changed?
Actually it's the opposite over here in USA. Most people know at the very least what Aquaman looks like, or have heard of him. He's been parodied in popular culture and a lot of people remember Superfriends.

I propose for starters, get rid of the bright orange Scale Mail and give him dark orange Scale Mail, he looks ridiculous in the bright orange, it's hard to take him seriously. Then give his land game some uniqueness by allowing him to control any water source he see's, like pools, pipes, water fountains, etc. Unlocks a whole devastating array of possible moves.

KingMadness is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #583
Anubis
Sup?
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Nile Delta
Posts: 68,156
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

No they don't.

Most people in the US don't know s**t about Aquaman except the fish thing. As evidenced by your own ignorance.

They don't know anything. That is why you do a movie. That is why you educate them.

__________________
Quote:
"Great, now I have to take over a whole planet because of your stupid boobs."
-Rick from Rick and Morty

H.E.
Anubis is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #584
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 45,792
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
While the Water Bearer story was great, and probably the best the character has ever been in my opinion, it's the sorta thing you have to build up to. Fact is, and I think you're missing this key point, he wasn't any more popular when he had those powers than he was before. So, you know, Hawkman of the sea isn't a guaranteed come up for the character.

Right now, his books selling better than it has in years. You know why? Decent writing. Quite frankly, that's all you really need. Not gimmicks. No powers out of nowhere.
Exactly. His current one shows good he could be when written well and taken seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
Actually it's the opposite over here in USA. Most people know at the very least what Aquaman looks like, or have heard of him. He's been parodied in popular culture and a lot of people remember Superfriends.

I propose for starters, get rid of the bright orange Scale Mail and give him dark orange Scale Mail, he looks ridiculous in the bright orange, it's hard to take him seriously. Then give his land game some uniqueness by allowing him to control any water source he see's, like pools, pipes, water fountains, etc. Unlocks a whole devastating array of possible moves.
1) The color of the scales doesn't need to change. It can be orange, and its brightness can vary depending on the light source of the setting he's in. I imagine it could look great if done well.

2) Hydrokinesis should be left to Mera, but if he does need to have it, it can be an ability accessible through his Trident. Besides that, his abilities are fine. I'd love to see him in combat using his trident on land, would make for some great choreographed fights.

__________________
Everyone brings joy to this forum. Some by coming in. Some by going out...
The Sage is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #585
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,203
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
So let me get this straight cause I can't believe what I'm hearing from YOU PEOPLE.

Superman can use x-ray vision, freeze breath, super speed, WW can use her lasso/tiara and can fly, Batman can use smoke pellets, Batarangs etc, Flash has super speed, Green Lantern has the power ring, Martian Manhunter can go intangible and shapeshift, Cyborg can use advanced gun fire.

All Aquaman can do in a land based fight is fight with his fists and Trident. Are you ****ing serious? So he needs to be in the water to have any sort of uniqueness, so now every fight the JL has has to be conveniently placed near water?

Let this guy be able to control small portions of water, please, just give him some uniqueness on the battlefield. He has already been shown to be able to do it, it should be a prominent part of his character, especially in JL teamups where he is mostly land based. It would be so cool.

Lol I'm asking all these random people I know and they don't give a **** about Aquaman, you gotta make some tweaks, its the only way.
so you want him to be a water bender?

Project862006 is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #586
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man
 
Hush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Planet Of OA
Posts: 15,681
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Wow, I can't believe how close minded you think the GA is. Your example of Thor only validates what we are saying. You didn't need to change his powers to make him accessible did you?

Hush is offline  
Old 09-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #587
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite
 
Ultimatehero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

I'm actually looking at, hopefully, adapting this property or at the very least pitching my take on it. I'll admit, like Nolan, I didn't know much about the character before heading into it and that I'll bring a Aquaman fan with me. But, to me, Aquaman has the same potential in becoming as serious as the dark knight and man of steel. The MOS teaser really reminded me of the tone I want. Also the trailer for the Collin Farrell mermaid movie (in atmosphere).

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


The guy who said the GA doesn't know much about Aquaman is right. Hell, when telling my friends they still joke about Entourage. You don't need to change anything. You just need to put it in the right light.

AC's story is very classical and his origins dare I say it - biblical. I'm coming at this as a film about an orphan boy who was drawn back to the sea to become its guardian. This is a very human story. I'm an adoptee from another country, if I go 'home' their culture and way of life will be lost to me. In doing my homework I prepare to head home to just a get a feeling of what the reality of that would be like.

I was basically drawn in because I wanted to find both a superhero property and legendary orphan story that I could bring personal experience to. Along the way of finding out more in the initial stages, I was just really fascinated by all the imagery I saw and how strong this character's world is. One scene I envision is Aquaman riding a whale with a flock of sea creatures behind him towards a navy ship.



Aquaman, or at least the first film (I see myself handing it over from there if I'm lucky enough to start things off), should be a story of discovery. Of a young man who doesn't know his past and in an epic journey discovers it and becomes a man. A king.

I gave a more detailed summary pages back. But, the thing is - there is a lot that can be done with this character to make him stick out to people. And I think the key there is really humanizing him. And, as said, hopefully I'll get this thing off the ground and after what I'm working on now - I just very may be able to.

Reason why I posted- nothing about him needs to change, you just need to find that right angle that can leave an impact. And to me his origins are so strong that they'll undoubtedly do that.


Last edited by Ultimatehero; 09-24-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Ultimatehero is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #588
Airwings
Waves of air
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 3,755
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Why does orange look more ridiculous than, say... bright red or bright blue? I don't understand the thinking behind it. The only thing with orange is the exotic feel to it, and that it's an unusual color for superheroes. But visually, it won't look more silly than any other hero. We just have to get used to seeing the color, that's all.
An Aquaman live action pesentation will not be like the other superheroes we've seen. This is something else, something very unique.

But to my old question again. Should the film deal with any environmental issues? I guess it's not interesting to discuss, or what? Come on dudes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
AC's story is very classical and his origins dare I say it - biblical. I'm coming at this as a film about an orphan boy who was drawn back to the sea to become its guardian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
should be a story of discovery. Of a young man who doesn't know his past and in an epic journey discovers it and becomes a man. A king.
All of this sounds just right for Aquaman. And it sounds really good too.
The picture looks awesome. Almost like he's a saviour from the sea.
The golden shine is majestic and royal. His suit could be his actual king's outfit


Last edited by Airwings; 09-24-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Airwings is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #589
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,662
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Why does orange look more ridiculous than, say... bright red or bright blue? I don't understand the thinking behind it. The only thing with orange is the exotic feel to it, and that it's an unusual color for superheroes. But visually, it won't look more silly than any other hero. We just have to get used to seeing the color, that's all.
An Aquaman live action pesentation will not be like the other superheroes we've seen. This is something else, something very unique.

But to my old question again. Should the film deal with any environmental issues? I guess it's not interesting to discuss, or what? Come on dudes!



All of this sounds just right for Aquaman. And it sounds really good too.
The picture looks awesome. Almost like he's the saviour from the sea.
The golden shine is majestic and royal. His suit could be his actual king's outfit
I think it's supposed to be gold or bronze.

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #590
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite
 
Ultimatehero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
But to my old question again. Should the film deal with any environmental issues? I guess it's not interesting to discuss, or what? Come on dudes!
I don't want to say much, but you would have that with one villain due to his background being his grown hatred for the sea. He has a serious psychological problem due to a traumatic event in his early childhood that he wasn't able to cope with. Other than that, I see him as just wanting to protect his home throughout life and there's a way to do that without getting too bogged down on politics. For example, one scene I have in mind - since this really doesn't say much, but it's the main place it's seen - is him breaking sea animals out of an aquarium; but in a really rebellious prison-break sort of way. The scene is more there to present his strong will, rebellious streak, and being a protector. Nothing too environmental. Or I guess overall I just look at it more as AC protecting his home world than protecting the seas like an outsider would.

__________________
"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #591
KingMadness
Side-Kick
 
KingMadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 567
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Ah okay. You guys are under the impression that if you educate people about Aquaman, that automatically makes him less ridiculous. That automatically makes his powers cool, that automatically makes his suit cool, that automatically makes Aquaman unique on a land based battlefield.

I tried, I really did, but nobody in this topic seems understand that Aquaman. Is. Not. Cool. In. His. Current. Form. He needs to be tweaked.

KingMadness is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #592
Blackman
C'mon Son
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,751
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

his current form is better than his past form. His current form is a high selling comic book.


I dont know how that doesnt mean he's cool. I agree that there are things that have to be tweaked but in the comic book community Aquaman is at a high. They just need to transfer that into film

Blackman is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #593
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite
 
Ultimatehero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
They just need to transfer that into film
Exactly.

KingMadness you have been unable to go anywhere beyond, "aquaman sucks because I said so." When people have asked you why - you basically still say "because I said so." You have been unable to point out anything about him that makes him lesser than. That's why we don't put much stock into it. You have yet to pinpoint anything. This is the aquaman people know:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


And yes, that obviously needs to be changed from tone into this:



But not because of the comics at all. Just like the masses always thought Batman was Adam West before Tim Burton came along and all he did was adapt the tone that was already popular in comics for years. And that's Batman!

In film form, Aquaman has the most to offer because his tale is more biblical in a sense. Or at least his origin story is which is what really draws me to it as something I'm hoping to jump onto next. I've made one mythological figure into an action hero that most people would initially squander away as well - but, that one's gaining ground... pretty sure I can do the same here. It's all in the way something is presented. And if there's three staples I'll become known for soon enough it's - thinking outside of the box, mythological creatures, and a legendary orphan journey.

__________________
"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 09-24-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Ultimatehero is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #594
Anubis
Sup?
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Nile Delta
Posts: 68,156
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

I wouldn't focus on the whole environmental thing until a sequel. Gotta establish the world he lives in first.

__________________
Quote:
"Great, now I have to take over a whole planet because of your stupid boobs."
-Rick from Rick and Morty

H.E.

Last edited by Anubis; 09-24-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Anubis is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #595
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite
 
Ultimatehero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Don't really think it needs an environmental approach really. To us, land dwellers, it would be seen as such. But in the film/s it should be more protecting your literal home. Like someone threatening to drop nukes on the US, that's not environmentalism fighting back- that's fighting for one's home. Unsure where the sequel will go, they might go more environmental but personally think it - to AC- wouldn't be viewed that way.

Ultimatehero is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #596
Blackman
C'mon Son
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,751
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

I think the best approach is the Game of Thrones type "throne room drama" with everyone fighting to get, keep, or destroy the throne of Atlantis. I think that'd go over well.

Also make Arthur/Orin a new king will work better than having him established would be better


Last edited by Blackman; 09-24-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Blackman is offline  
Old 09-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #597
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man
 
Hush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Planet Of OA
Posts: 15,681
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
Ah okay. You guys are under the impression that if you educate people about Aquaman, that automatically makes him less ridiculous. That automatically makes his powers cool, that automatically makes his suit cool, that automatically makes Aquaman unique on a land based battlefield.

I tried, I really did, but nobody in this topic seems understand that Aquaman. Is. Not. Cool. In. His. Current. Form. He needs to be tweaked.
His current form is one of the highest selling books on the market and he has been pushed to the forefront by DC. You don't seem to know anything about him and just see to want to spew Aquaman hate for no reason.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I like love stories. Preferably the love stories that involve a woman without enough money to pay the pizza man, so she has to pay for it....with her vagina.
Avvy by Hunter Rider

H.E.
Hush is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #598
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hype, Superhero
Posts: 18,037
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I think the best approach is the Game of Thrones type "throne room drama" with everyone fighting to get, keep, or destroy the throne of Atlantis. I think that'd go over well.

Also make Arthur/Orin a new king will work better than having him established would be better
Sounds good.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, AKA Jessica Jones
2016: Captain America: Civil War, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, Doctor Strange, X-Men: Apocalypse, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Sinister 6, Deadpool, Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft
ThePowerCosmic is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #599
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 26,106
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

There's really no reason an AQUAMAN movie couldn't be a mixture of that kind of thing with some of the environmental aspects, and the more classic trappings of Aquaman's mythology.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #600
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite
 
Ultimatehero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,473
Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
There's really no reason an AQUAMAN movie couldn't be a mixture of that kind of thing with some of the environmental aspects, and the more classic trappings of Aquaman's mythology.
Exactly. But, my question to long-time fans is - is there anything more 'environmental' than someone just wanting to protect his home world or is it just that the notion of wanting to protect the sea is seen as environmentalism? As said, for example, just see it as aliens invading our planet or a world war and having to protect your home turf from conquering invaders who want to do your home harm -- is there anything 'environmental' beyond that which I should look into?

__________________
"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.