The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #926
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Default Re: The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

I think gimmicks are stupid too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop reading any quality content they put out.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #927
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Sorry but Jai Courtney acts circles around Sawa and Gallagher. Sawa is a former junkie and washed up 90's teen heart throb and Gallagher... I'm not gonna say anything about that one.

With Jai you get an imposing warrior Aquaman akin to the 90's Grant Morrison JLA version or Geoff John's New 52.

With your choices you get a frilly prince who is the butt of all the superfriends jokes.
Jai isn't exactly a praised actor. It sounds like you're describing DiCaprio.

With him (Jai) we'll get a F&F or Die Hard 6 version of Aquaman.

Last edited by Airwings; 12-03-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #928
Loki882
Side-Kick

Courtney's acting wasn't exactly praised in Die Hard 5, and I don't think that he was all that good there either.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #929
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
I think gimmicks are stupid too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop reading any quality content they put out.
I think you and I disagree on the quality content . No worries though. You do you, and I'll do me.

Back to Aquaman, I do hope we get the cartoon. Though I'm a bit loathe on 52, I'll check this out to see what they have done with him. I couldn't find any information on what the movie is about. I hope it's not from the 52, but I'll still check it out even if it is.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #930
Rorschach2012
$

Jai Courtney doesn't sound good to me. I'm leaning towards:

Joel Edgerton

Nikolaj Coster Waldau

Karl Urban

Old 12-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #931
Airwings
Waves of air

Rorschach2012: I'm sorry to say this but if we judge only by the pics, with no weight on the actors' previous work, then Coster Waldau (in the pic above) doesn't look too different from Gallagher (in my posted pic).
And perhaps that should be one of the factors when finding the right Aquaman. The stuff an actor did ages ago should not hunt him forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Sawa is a former junkie and washed up 90's teen heart throb
Why should the 90s teen idol thing be a curse to any actor? Why can't he get a chance to prove himself?
By the way, did you know that Downey jr was a junkie too?

Last edited by Airwings; 12-04-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #932
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Rorschach2012: I'm sorry to say this but if we judge only by the pics, with no weight on the actors' previous work, then Coster Waldau (in the pic above) doesn't look too different from Gallagher (in my posted pic).
And perhaps that should be one of the factors when finding the right Aquaman. The stuff an actor did ages ago should not hunt him forever.

Why should the 90s teen idol thing be a curse to any actor? Why can't he get a chance to prove himself?
By the way, did you know that Downey jr was a junkie too?
The difference is I actually like the actors I suggested. It's just a plus that they happen to have done roles where they look like Aquaman.

The picture you posted of Gallagher is not convincing.. I'm done discussing this with you though. I will never be convinced that David Gallagher and Devin Sawa are good choices for Aquaman. Those are two of the worst actors I can imagine for Aquaman to be honest. But that's just my opinion. And i can't convince you that they're bad ideas.

I think it'd be a good idea to cast an actor that's actually relevant today. I don't think Aquaman is the right hero to give some 90s kid a comeback role.

If Gallagher or Sawa were cast, it'd be seen as a comeback role. A lot of people most people would doubt both Gallagher and Sawa. Aquaman doesn't need that bad press. There would be a huge backlash if either of them were cast. Neither of them are well respected actors. They are both brought down by their past, and have little to no respect in the Hollywood community as serious actors..

It's just a bad idea and there would be too much negative press surrounding the project if either of them were cast. The general audience already doesn't care about Aquaman or thinks he's lame, we don't need the bad press that'd inevitably come with casting Sawa or Gallagher.

I'm positive that neither of them will be cast though. It'll be someone with a bit more star power than either of these guys, or some up and comer who isn't brought down from being a part of TERRIBLE 90s media. Someone that will actually make people want to see the movie. The actor cast needs to get people excited for the movie. Literally NO ONE would get pumped if they saw Gallagher or Sawa as Aquaman in a trailer.

If anything, casting these guys cheapens the movie. They just don't cut it in Hollywood, that's why they've only been able to get small roles in their adult years.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #933
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

I could see Rory Gallagher as Aquaman but this Gallagher no.

Some of them fell into Hell
Old 12-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #934
Airwings
Waves of air

To a lot of people, Aquaman isn't seen as a serious superhero because of all the jokes.
I agree that the film really need to convince the audience that he's not lame. But wouldn't Flash too get backlash if a former teen idol who's not relavant gets the role? I don't think the problems are exclusive to Aquaman only.
Can something be done to change this? Hard to say.

If Sawa or Gallagher starred in a handful of interesting independent dramas, would it change the negative opinions some people have about them? Not completely, I guess. Their works during the 90s still hunts them. The people who found them annoying as kid/teen actors, will they always find them annoying? That's quite interesting to think about.

It has been said before, but I want to bring it up in this discussion.
Whether an actor stars in bigger films or not, isn't completely related to talent. Other factors plays in, like if he has a good manager or not, if he has the right personality to be an A-lister, if he's good-looking etc.
Let's speculate and claim that Devon Sawa was a better actor than Ben Affleck ten years ago. Who would have cared? Sure, Affleck was boring and wooden in Daredevil, and Pearl Harbor. Those films are far from being masterpieces. But Affleck had other things going for him. Not only was he handsome, but he was media's favorite, and also a good friend of Matt Damon etc etc. Sadly, those things are important in Hollywood.

What about Gallagher? I think he's quite good, but not great. Am I the only one who think so? He can't be as bad as Rorschach claims.
Abrams cast him in Super 8. It was a small role, yes. Abrams was free to take anyone he wanted: an up-and-coming actor, or a completely unknown but talented guy. But he picked Gallagher. There must be a reason!

About Aquaman again. The one who's gonna direct this maybe will see something in Gallagher. Who knows?
Abrams is involved with both S.Trek and S.Wars. Let's say he will make a DC hero film too.
Aquaman? And perhaps he casts Gallagher then?

Old 12-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #935
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Perfect casting.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #936
Airwings
Waves of air

Lee Tamahori did a fantastical James Bond. I Think he could handle the scope of Aquaman pretty well.
If not him, then I suggest Chris Weitz, Peter Cattaneo, Robert Shaye or Gabor Csupo. The last two one could also be producers.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #937
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Lee Tamahori did a fantastical James Bond. I Think he could handle the scope of Aquaman pretty well.
If not him, then I suggest Chris Weitz, Peter Cattaneo, Robert Shaye or Gabor Csupo. The last two one could also be producers.
Can never tell if you are trolling or being genuine with some of the names you pick for things. What has Peter Cattaneo ever done to make you think "yeah he could totally direct an Aquaman movie"

Old 12-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #938
Loki882
Side-Kick

Lee Tamahori made the WORST James Bond movie ever, and nearly killed the entire franchise. They had to reboot the whole thing just to save it, he was that incompetent. I don't want him anywhere near ANY potential DC movie, let alone Aquaman.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #939
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
Can never tell if you are trolling or being genuine with some of the names you pick for things. What has Peter Cattaneo ever done to make you think "yeah he could totally direct an Aquaman movie"
He made the wonderful Opal Dream, and could manage to take the same step from drama to action as Marc Webb did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Lee Tamahori made the WORST James Bond movie ever, and nearly killed the entire franchise. They had to reboot the whole thing just to save it, he was that incompetent. I don't want him anywhere near ANY potential DC movie, let alone Aquaman.
DAD had a great overblown visual style. Only a few special effects were a "let down". With the right writers, he could manage to give us a good Aquaman.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #940
samsnee
Side-Kick

I got a feeling that DC wants The Rock for Aquaman.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #941
bluerayer
MCU

What about Matt Damon?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Old 01-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #942
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
I got a feeling that DC wants The Rock for Aquaman.
God no.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #943
Loki882
Side-Kick

If anything, DC would probably want The Rock to play Ocean Master or Black Manta. No way in Hell is he talking to DC about playing Aquaman.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #944
samsnee
Side-Kick

Black Manta? Racist.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #945
Rowsdower!
THIS GUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post

Perfect casting.

This needs to happen.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #946
Rorschach2012
$

I can see both Gerard Butler and Armie Hammer being considered for Aquaman, given their relationships with WB

Old 01-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #947
-Nam rorriM-
Eater of toasties

I'd really like them to use the new 52 aquaman story arc with Orm attacking the surface. Make that aquamans MOS type introduction as the rebellious brother trying to stop him committing war with above.

Quite frankly an aquaman film shot right would be amazing. The sea creeps me out, and the thought of these people coming up with huge armies would be awesome. Heck they could just take all of it from 52 and translate it to film.

One more thing, I don't want a "good looking "guy to be aqua-man, he's got to have some rough edges. Someone like armmie hammer is too Prince Charming.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #948
Loki882
Side-Kick

You mean Throne of Atlantis? Yeah that story was really good, and Orm was quite a sympathetic and multi-dimensional antagonist (I hesitate to even call him an out and out villain in that storyline). One thing though, Orm wasn't "rebellious" in that story, he WAS the acknowledged King of Atlantis.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #949
-Nam rorriM-
Eater of toasties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
You mean Throne of Atlantis? Yeah that story was really good, and Orm was quite a sympathetic and multi-dimensional antagonist (I hesitate to even call him an out and out villain in that storyline). One thing though, Orm wasn't "rebellious" in that story, he WAS the acknowledged King of Atlantis.
Sorry I meant as in casting aqua man to be the rebellious one. Totally agree with you on orms multidimensional characterisation. The best stories always have a villain that has that approach than just angry or evil. I never really bothered with aqua man until reading throne of Atlantis and then boom! Converted

Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #950
SuperSonics
Side-Kick

Too bad Paul Walker died... IMO I think he would have made a good Aqua Man!

Closed Thread