The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 12-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #101
ALP
In The Mountains

Default Re: David Fincher to direct '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea'

A Steampunk rendition of 20k League sounds brilliant to me. Right up my alley. Can't wait for this! And Dragon Tattoo coming out next year. Fincher FTW

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #102
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

I think Finchers just makes whatever the hell he feels like making. and he does it well, more power to him.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:08 PM   #103
:eek:
Side-Kick

20,000 Leagues Will be David Fincher's First 3D Film

Source: Collider
December 31, 2010

Steve "Frosty" Weintraub at Collider had a rare chance to sit down with filmmaker David Fincher this week to talk about the DVD and Blu-ray release of his acclaimed Facebook drama The Social Network. While most of the interview focused on the movie and Fincher's techniques as a filmmaker, he did learn that Fincher is already planning to shoot his version of Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea for Disney using 3D technology.

The director wouldn't commit to that being his next project as he'll still be working on his adaptation of Stieg Larsson's bestseller The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for the next year. He also doubts he'll be jumping right into an English version of the second book The Girl Who Played with Fire, because they still need to write a script and it will depend on how well the first movie does and whether Daniel Craig is pulled away to play James Bond in the 23rd installment of that franchise.

In the interview, Fincher also briefly mentions the long-in-development adaptation of Rendezvous with Rama that he hopes to do with his Se7en star Morgan Freeman:

"It’s a question of things lining up, I mean, you know Rendezvous With Rama is a great story that has an amazing role for Morgan Freeman who is an amazing actor and would be amazing in this thing. The question was can we get a script that’s worthy of Morgan and can we get a script that is worthy of Arthur Clark and can we do all of that in an envelope that will allow the movie to take the kinds of chances that it wants to take. ‘Cuz we want to make a movie where kids go out of the theatre and instead of buying an action figure they buy a telescope.

He also briefly mentions the potential of directing The Reincarnation of Peter Proud, a script that he really likes.

You can check out the full interview over on Collider.

:eek: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #104
The Navigator
Punch Punch Punch

Son of a b*tch, if this happens it will be AWESOME.

Last edited by The Navigator; 01-01-2011 at 12:33 AM.
The Navigator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #105
Crockett
With Teeth

I hope this will be filmed using RED Epic cameras like the new Spider-Man.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #106
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

So glad they replace MCG with Fincher. He's a more versatile director and it will be very interesting to see his take on this classic book.

Sgt.Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #107
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

David Fincher's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea Will Have Very Little From The Book

Quote:
Jules Verne’s 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea is one of those books that will be adapted and re-adapted until the end of time, both on television and in film. Most recently it was announced that director David Fincher and writer Scott Z. Burns would be working on a new version of the story, but with the Fincher working on Stieg Larsson’s The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and Burns heading around the world for the Steven Soderbergh-directed Contagion, we haven’t heard too much about the project’s status. Fortunately, I was given the opportunity to sit down with Burns earlier today and he provided an update on the project’s status.

While discussing his upcoming scripts, the screenwriter told me that the movie is on a similar timetable to The Man From U.N.C.L.E., which he hopes will start shooting in the spring, but there's still a lot of pre-production work that needs to be done. "Because of the amount of pre-vis work that David would have to do we wouldn’t probably start shooting for a little while later and David is so buried in Dragon Tattoo, that’s where his focus is," Burns said. "For now I’ve done writing for both of them [The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea]. They’re sort of waiting to get cast and move forward."

Burns also confirmed that the scale of the project is "really big," but don't expect the movie to be the exact same story from Verne's novel. Saying that there's "very little" that goes directly from the page to the screen, he said that his job "isn’t to turn a book into a movie, it’s to be inspired by the book and then go write a movie." The inspiration that Burns took largely come from the three main characters: Captain Nemo, French marine biologist Professor Pierre Aronnax, and master harpoonist Ned Land. "David and I had a really cool idea for the relationship between Nemo, and Aronnax and Land," Burns said. "That’s really what we kind of got into. But I think it’s very, very true to the spirit of the book."
Source

I'm glad that this version will not tell the same story as the other one, so I'm not actually bother by the change. And, hey, whatever story Fincher wants to tell, I'm more than interested for it.

Sgt.Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #108
Rocketman
Side-Kick

LOVE this book. Here's my dream Fincher cast:

Morgan Freeman as Captain Nemo
Daniel Craig as Ned Land
Andrew Garfield as Pierre Arronax

Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #109
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Whatever they want I'm ****ing there.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #110
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Pepper View Post
So glad they replace MCG with Fincher. He's a more versatile director and it will be very interesting to see his take on this classic book.
And it will actually be good

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Hurm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #111
kvz5
HBIC

I wonder if Fincher will do this or Cleopatra first?

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #112
protocida
Side-Kick

Script Spoilers.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

The Royal Navy deploys a ship commanded by Captain Farragut to kill a sea monster that has destroyed several British ships in the last few weeks. Farragut forces harpooner Ned Land to join his crew. Meanwhile, Julie Fleischer, a woman whose father was killed in one of the monster's attacks, smuggles herself aboard the ship in order to watch the creature's death. She is discovered by Ned and Professor Pierre Annorex, a marine life expert sent to study the monster once it is slain. Ned and Julie soon fall in love.

The ship heads to the location of the last attack and is too attacked by what is revealed to be the world's most advanced submarine, the Nautilus. The ship is destroyed and it's only survivors - Ned, Julie and Professor Annorex - are brought aboard the Nautilus, where they meet the brillian Indian pirate and scientist Captain Nemo.

Nemo is searching for a lost ancient cilivization with the help of a map stolen from Julie's father, which leads the Nautilus a Summerian temple, where Captain Nemo retrieves six keys. Meanwhile, Ned and Julie try to escape, only to be attacked by The Ottoman, the loyal servant of the evil General Anson, who is also seeking for the keys. Ned and Julie return to the Nautilus.

At Nemo's headquarters in a volcanic island, Nemo reveals that he was friends with Julie's father and funded his research about the civilization that they are seeking. Nemo reveals there's a seventh key needed to find it, and Julie has its location memorized. They head for the Artic, in which the key is buried, and where they confront General Anson, who wants the power of the lost civilization to himself, and his men. Nemo retrieves the key and escapes, but Professor Annorex is left behind and joins General Anson.

The Nautilus sails to the Lost World in the bottom of the sea, where Nemo retrieves an ancient artifact called The Eye of Shiva. As they're escaping, the Nautilus is attacked by a giant squid that protects the Lost World, but Nemo kills it.

Ned discovers that Nemo is Prince Dakkar, whose family was murdered by General Anson when England conquered India 10 years prior, and that Nemo intents to use The Eye of Shiva to erradicate the human race in revenge for his loss. Nemo abandons Ned at open sea, only to be ambushed by General Anson, who was led to Nemo's headquarters by Professor Annorex. While they battle, Captain Farragut, who survived Nemo's attack, returns with a fleet of English ships and starts attacking Nemo's headquarters.

General Anson's forces overpower Nemo's and imprisions Nemo, Julie and Professor Annorex. General Anson activates The Eye of Shiva, hoping to use its power to take over the world, and summons a huge storm that engulfs the island. Meanwhile, Ned is able to return and releases Nemo, Julie and Professor Annorex. Nemo confronts and kills General Anson as he attempts to escape in an airship, but the Nautilus has been damaged by Captain Farragut's attack. Ned dives into the water using a breathing aparatus created by Nemo and manages to destroy The Eye of Shiva, but the Nautilus, with Nemo inside, disappears into a massive chasm opened by an underwater earthquake. Ned, Julie and Professor Annorex are rescued by Captain Farragut and returned to civilization.

protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #113
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96112

Fincher wants Brad Pitt as Ned Lands. Disney is giving him three months to start up something otherwise it gets put back in d. hell.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #114
Victarion
Cut

Is this "Lost World" full of dinos and the shebangs?

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #115
Monsieur Xavier
Guild Steersman

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96112

Fincher wants Brad Pitt as Ned Lands. Disney is giving him three months to start up something otherwise it gets put back in d. hell.
Mmh it doesn't sound very encouraging. Let's hope I am wrong.
20 000 Leagues Under the Sea ( the disney version ) is one of my favorit movie of all space and time.

Monsieur Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #116
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Read a couple of the scripts already, they were cool - wonder what this version will be like. Hopefully it gets made.

Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #117
dark_b
Side-Kick

before i die i need to watch a big scale fantasy or scifi Fincher movie.

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #118
BuddhaWasABat
Side-Kick

I hope this is Finchers next project. I definitely want to see him do TGWPWF but I would prefer this first.

2) The Dark Knight Rises
3) Watchmen
4) Batman Begins
5) Iron Man
6) X2
7) Avengers
8) X Men First Class
9) Spider-man 2
10) X Men
BuddhaWasABat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #119
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Disney would be stupid not to green-light this project with all the talent involved

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #120
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I hope he ditches the Millenium trilogy and does this and Rendezvous with Rama instead; much more fitting for his talents.

Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #121
biolumen
The End

Quote:
Aus gov backs one-off payment for Brad Pitt film 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

[Fri 15/02/2013 09:35:50]
By Brendan Swift

The Federal Government has offered Disney a multi-million dollar one-off payment to lure Hollywood film 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo to shoot in Australia.

The Disney production is now understood to be evaluating locations (Sydney’s Fox Studios Australia is the favoured location) with a final decision expected to be made by the end of February.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo - based on the classic Jules Verne novel - is set to be directed by David Fincher and will star Brad Pitt. Fincher has also reportedly been eyeing up Fox’s Gone Girl if the production falls through.

Arts minister Simon Crean yesterday confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that he was meeting with Disney executives this morning at Parliament House in the hope of finalising the deal. Minister Crean later told ABC Radio that the Federal Government had offered Disney $12 million in addition to the 16.5 per cent Location rebate, although he also said that would have to be boosted by state government funding (a source earlier told IF the offer would be more than $20 million).

"We've made our offer but that needs to be complemented by NSW and Queensland but we're still in the mix... and let's hope for the best," he told ABC Radio.

Minister Crean has also spruiked the potential deal on Twitter ("I'm working hard on this. 2000+ jobs and a big boost to our world-class creative industries. Hope to confirm soon.") and The Kyle and Jackie O Show.

The government decision to back 20,000 Leagues follows a similar one-off approval it granted The Wolverine in early-2012. While the Hugh Jackman action film qualified for the 16.5 per cent Location tax offset, the government added another $12.8 million grant in order to secure the production.

The total $25.6 million government payment was the equivalent of an approximate 30 per cent subsidy on the film’s estimated local expenditure – the level that the film industry has been lobbying for to offset the strength of the Australian currency.

The Greens party has thrown its support behind permanently raising the Location rebate to 30 per cent although the major political parties have yet to make a similar pledge ahead of the September election.

If Disney gives the film final green-light it will prove a fillup for the Australian screen production industry which is facing a dire second half of 2013. While a number of high-profile local productions are currently in pre-production or shooting (The Rover, Son of a Gun, Healing) there are no major foreign films ready to shoot in Australia. In addition, Screen Australia’s decision to spend its entire $42 million annual drama budget within six months also threatens to leave a production hole in the second half of 2013.

While Disney is understood to be very close to approving production, no studio film is guaranteed. In 2009, the NSW government announced that Warner Bros would shoot Green Lantern in New South Wales however, the soaring Australian dollar later saw the studio shift the film to the USA. More recently, Australian film Mad Max: Fury Road, which was set to shoot in Broken Hill, was delayed several times before the production was shifted to Namibia and South Africa.

Australian films (which pass the significant Australian content test) receive a 40 per cent Producer Offset tax rebate on qualifying expenditure. However, only a handful of Australian filmmakers are able to lure Hollywood money to make ‘Australian’ films.

Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby was filmed in Sydney and remains in post-production while a number of Australian crew were still employed on George Miller’s Fury Road for its overseas shoot (the film still ostensibly claims to be Australian). However, Alex Proyas’ Sydney-based Paradise Lost fell over in early-2012 while Rob Luketic has been attached to a number of Australian-based productions although none have been green-lit.
http://if.com.au/2013/02/15/article/...YKGKPQFQA.html

biolumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #122
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Thank you Australians! Mate!

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 02-15-2013 at 11:32 AM.
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #123
Octoberist
point blank

Just make the darn movie, Fincher!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #124
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Fincher is an auteur and he seems to be very picky and controlling of his projects. I also get the sense that he is a perfectionist.

- CM Punk

Last edited by TheVileOne; 02-15-2013 at 11:32 AM.
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #125
Octoberist
point blank

his comments about the film being 70% could be a nightmare to deal with. So perhaps, Disney is trying to tell to scale back a bit. But yeah, he's a complete auteur.