The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #26
BETArayBill
Side-Kick

Default Re: Mickey Rourke Cast in Iron Man 2

wow great actors but a little disapointed that its going to be another guy in a suit as the villan

Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #27
DocHoliday
The King of Cool

Good actors, the both of them.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #28
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETArayBill View Post
wow great actors but a little disapointed that its going to be another guy in a suit as the villan
It's not

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #29
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

"Big bruiser" to me sounds more like the 1st Titanium Man rather than Crimson Dynamo. But who knows? This is the Marvel movie-verse. I'm pleased with the quality of cast they seem to be attracting, though I really wanted James Woods for Justin Hammer.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #30
Chewy
REDACTED

THR, who reported this later and has a great relationship with Marvel (they've made most of their announcements through THR), said Rourke was playing neither Dynamo nor Titanium Man, but Whiplash.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #31
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETArayBill View Post
I don't mind that so much. He won't be the only villain in there, and to have even a chance of going toe-to-toe with Iron Man in a fight you'd need something like that wouldn't you(unless you're the Mandarin). That's like saying "Oh, too bad Batman's next enemy will be yet another weirdo-themed crime-boss with a bunch of henchmen". It's kind of what all these hero's villains are about. They generally follow a certain pattern to make them relative to the hero.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #32
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

this makes me really happy.
as long as the main villain is not Mandarin, I'm fine.
I was hoping for Dynamo or Titanium. either one is great.

Jick09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #33
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewySpider View Post
THR, who reported this later and has a great relationship with Marvel (they've made most of their announcements through THR), said Rourke was playing neither Dynamo nor Titanium Man, but Whiplash.

Oh, ok. I hope he doesn't look like that pic, though. I can just see the S&M parodies forming.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #34
Dark Donnie
Kenny Powers is Back!

Real nice additions to the cast

Old 01-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #35
[A]
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
Mickey Rourke Cast in Iron Man 2
Good for him

[A] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #36
haephestus
Side-Kick

Cool cast additions.

Not so sure on Whiplash (would prefer Crimson), but I'm sure Favreau (sp?) will make the character great and with Rourke playing him, it should be excellent.

Hammer is a pretty cool addition. I'm sure they'll differentiate him from Stane (in the first movie).

And "Natasha" for Stark's new assistant. Is Pepper going somewhere (doesn't seem likely). Or is Natasha the new liason between Stark and SHIELD (way cool). Was hoping Swank would end up being Black Widow, but the casting seems to suggest they're aiming for someone younger. Either way, I'm sure who they cast will be great.

Cannot wait for this film!

Cheers.

haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #37
haephestus
Side-Kick

Cool cast additions.

Not so sure on Whiplash (would prefer Crimson), but I'm sure Favreau (sp?) will make the character great and with Rourke playing him, it should be excellent.

Hammer is a pretty cool addition. I'm sure they'll differentiate him from Stane (in the first movie).

And "Natasha" for Stark's new assistant. Is Pepper going somewhere (doesn't seem likely). Or is Natasha the new liason between Stark and SHIELD (way cool). Was hoping Swank would end up being Black Widow, but the casting seems to suggest they're aiming for someone younger. Either way, I'm sure who they cast will be great.

Cannot wait for this film!

Cheers.

haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #38
DocHoliday
The King of Cool

Pepper I'm sure will be there...

Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #39
BETArayBill
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I don't mind that so much. He won't be the only villain in there, and to have even a chance of going toe-to-toe with Iron Man in a fight you'd need something like that wouldn't you(unless you're the Mandarin). That's like saying "Oh, too bad Batman's next enemy will be yet another weirdo-themed crime-boss with a bunch of henchmen". It's kind of what all these hero's villains are about. They generally follow a certain pattern to make them relative to the hero.
what i meant by that is im not thrilled it will probably be just another fight at the end of the movie between dyanmo and iron man but i wouldn't mind seeing wiplash that could be cool either way im sure ill still love the movie

Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #40
Rac
Deadite

Wow. Rourke and Rockwell!

And Favreau, please cast Ivana Milicevic as Black Widow!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #41
[A]
Banned User

Quote:
SORTING OUT THIS IRON MAN 2 BUSINESS

The internet is abuzz with the news that Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell are in talks to play villains in Iron Man 2. But who the **** are they going to be? There are a lot of conflicting reports, and some that are confusing, so let's try to figure this out.

Both Variety and The Hollywood Reporter say that Rockwell is in talks to be a baddie. THR says the baddy is Justin Hammer, an evil industrialist and arms dealer. Hammer is well known for supplying bad guys in the Marvel Universe with super suits; look behind dip****s like Leap-Frog, The Beetle, El Toro Negro, Porcupine, Blizzard, Spymaster and even good old Spider-Man villain The Scorpion and you'll find Hammer Industries tech.

That makes sense. This is where it gets confusing. Variety says that Rourke is playing "a villain described as Tony Stark's Russian alter ego, a heavily tattooed bruiser who is in the arms trade and battles Iron Man in his own nuclear-powered armored suit." That would be, without a doubt, the Crimson Dynamo, of whom there have been twelve variations over the decades, making him a pretty good character to start fresh with. Knowing that Hammer is involved in arms dealing also makes this description seem reasonable - all the pieces fit together.

The pieces fit together even more when you realize that in the seminal Iron Man storyline Armor Wars Justin Hammer stole pieces of Stark tech and sold them to villains, who were creating their own supersuits. How does a heavily tattooed Russian thug get a suit of nuclear powered armor? Well, buying the plans and/or parts from Justin Hammer makes sense. On top of that, if you watch the special features for Iron Man you'll see people referring to the Ironmonger armor as Crimson Dynamo (thanks to Mac McLean for that heads up), so the character is on the filmmaker's minds.

But then the Hollywood Reporter comes from out of nowhere claiming that Rourke is actually playing Whiplash, a villain "with deadly, technologically enhanced coils". Thanks to George from LatinoReview for pointing out that the current Marvel Universe Whiplash is actually Mark Scarlotti, a one-time Maggia thug (that's Marvel's Mafia) who wore a ridiculous swashbuckler suit, had whips attached to his gloves and called himself Backlash. He did lots of work for Justin Hammer. In his very first appearance, Backlash was called Whiplash, and that's the name that he's once again using these days. But Scarlotti is no Russian, and his story - he began his career in Stark Industries but fell to the Dark Side of Hammer Industries - doesn't work for a Mickey Rourke character.

Of course it's possible that Justin Theroux and John Favreau have simply decided to take the character and concept and run with it in a new direction, possibly merging Whiplash and the Dynamo. Or maybe they're wrong about Rockwell as Hammer - he's way too young, for one thing - and he's actually Whiplash. That almost makes more sense when you look at Whiplash's history as Stark engineer gone bad.

Then there's one last bit of info that the Hollywood Reporter uses to confuse us - they say that casting is still ongoing for Natasha, Stark's assistant. The Black Widow, whose real name is Natasha Romanov, has been confirmed as a major character in the movie, and as it makes no sense to have two Natashas, we must assume this character is The Black Widow. As far as I know, Gwyneth Paltrow is returning for the film, so this leaves some options:

* They're wrong about Natasha's role.

* Pepper Potts has a new job in Stark Industries and Natasha fills her old position. She happens to be The Black Widow - either planted by Rourke's Russian character or Justin Hammer to betray Stark (she started life in the comics as a villain) or already secretly the heroic Black Widow, getting close to Stark for her own purposes

* Natasha is actually assigned to Stark by SHIELD. In the Ultimates, Marvel's reboot of The Avengers, The Black Widow is a SHIELD agent. She's not his 'assistant' per se, but she's detailed to work with the industrialist/super hero.

Whatever her role is, it seems inevitable that there will be a love triangle between Stark, Pepper and Natasha.

We also know that Hawkeye will be a major player in the film. Like The Black Widow he began his career as a villain and was, in various incarnations a SHIELD agent, so who knows how he fits in). And then there's the strong possibility that War Machine - Rhodey in a suit of armor - makes his first appearance in this film. Those are a lot of pieces to have in play, including a behind the scenes Mandarin, who will likely begin to step out of the shadows in this movie.

Here's hoping this gets clearer in the days ahead.
http://chud.com/articles/articles/17...ESS/Page1.html

[A] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #42
RedIsNotBlue
Agree to disagree

Wow and the awesome news begins. Very excited by what I am hearing so far. Favreau sure knows what hes doing.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #43
Mister Sinister
Picture of Paul McCartney

I like the idea that Black Widow is 'assigned' by Fury to keep tabs on Stark.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #44
Chewy
REDACTED

Two things about Devin's article:

1) The same article that mentions Natasha says Paltrow is returning, so I don't even see that as a question
2) He mentions Iron Monger originally being Dynamo in IM as evidence that "the character is on the filmmaker's minds", but doesn't mention that Favreau codenamed the jets "Whiplash 1" & "Whiplash 2" as a reference to the villain, meaning both villains were equally on the filmmaker's minds.

I'm sure we'll get some confirmation on which one Rourke's role is in the coming days, although I'm inclined to believe it's Whiplash.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #45
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Hmm...this is all very interesting. I can't wait till we get some official confirmation. Either way, I love me some Sam Rockwell.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #46
Double Down
A New Kind of Thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
Hmm...this is all very interesting. I can't wait till we get some official confirmation. Either way, I love me some Sam Rockwell.
I just saw him in Lawn Dogs not too long ago. He was excellent in it.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #47
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Impressive casting, but I am somewhat disappointed that the villains are Dynamo and Hammer. I wanted the Mandarin.

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #48
Chewy
REDACTED

Favreau has said he's saving Mandarin for IM3

Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #49
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Holy crap. Downey, Paltrow, Cheadle, Jackson... now Rourke, Rockwell and possibly even Tim Robbins? Not a bad ensemble. Not bad at all.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #50
TwilightPro101

Digging the theories on how the characters are involved.

TwilightPro101 is offline   Reply With Quote