The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #76
rdh007
Brit Wannabe
 
rdh007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Visiting the Pig Farm
Posts: 8,501
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
Yes I do.

I understand sports is entertainment. So in my sports league, you would have TD celebrations and every stadium would look more like Tampa's.
The vanilla-ness of the Lions in both the Silverdome and the incredibly capable but incredibly blah Ford Field is a direct link to the incredibly capable but incredibly blah cars they produce.

No cheerleaders hurts them as well.

If the nickname is going to be for the King of the Jungle, I'd redesign the stadium as a jungle, play the GnR song all the time, get the cheerleaders to dress essentially like a trashy Poison Ivy, and push the jungle juice from the concession stands.

The only teams that should celebrate an unchanging tradition are those who have a winning tradition.
^Feel free to sig that sh!#.

__________________
Do you know what nemesis means?
rdh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #77
Fresh Prince
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,649
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8nyy View Post
Sounds like a winner.

Right up there with the USFL, NFL Europe and the XFL.
Agreed this league will not last long.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #78
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: Official: United Football League

http://www.ufl-football.com/home

official website

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #79
Fresh Prince
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,649
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh007 View Post
The vanilla-ness of the Lions in both the Silverdome and the incredibly capable but incredibly blah Ford Field is a direct link to the incredibly capable but incredibly blah cars they produce.

No cheerleaders hurts them as well.

If the nickname is going to be for the King of the Jungle, I'd redesign the stadium as a jungle, play the GnR song all the time, get the cheerleaders to dress essentially like a trashy Poison Ivy, and push the jungle juice from the concession stands.

The only teams that should celebrate an unchanging tradition are those who have a winning tradition.
^Feel free to sig that sh!#.
Lol that would be amazing. Thats how you want Detroit Lions to do their stadium?

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #80
StorminNorman
Banned User
 
StorminNorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 30,658
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
I really don't know if I can watch or support this...it's just going to come off as the rejects league to me
That's what it is - a reject league. Any league trying to be anything else is doomed for failure because they can't compete against the NFL.

This league won't be for everyone, but it's not trying to be for everyone.
It's goal is to capture hometown support (I would have preferred San Francisco to be in LA or another California town, but whatever) and to win over hardcore NFL fan who listens to NFL radio and watches NFL replays.

StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #81
Fresh Prince
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,649
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMORE View Post
Wrong Vindrow they aren't competing with the NFL they will compliment them here is an interesting article from ESPN:

NFL labor strife would help UFL's
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Dennis Green, left, and Jim Haslett have accepted head-coaching jobs in the UFL.

Starting a new football league is a bold venture, but the United Football League is moving forward with a three-year plan to go against the odds.

Wall Street investor William Hambrecht, Google senior executive Tim Armstrong and Paul Pelosi, husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, are among the investors willing to gamble $30 million for the UFL to work. Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is expected to come aboard as investor at some point, too. The plan is to hang around until 2011 with a modest schedule of fall games played in selected cities.

On Wednesday, the league announced an impressive list of head coaches: Dennis Green, Jim Fassel, Ted Cottrell and Jim Haslett. They are each being paid roughly $500,000 this season to put a team together from a list of players who will be cut from NFL teams in June and in training camp. The UFL season will be about as long as baseball spring training. The coaches will hold a two-week training camp in Case Grande, Ariz., in September, before the four teams embark on a six-game schedule that ends before Thanksgiving.

The four teams, whose games will be played in San Francisco, Orlando, Las Vegas and New York, will have a player salary cap between $12 million and $20 million. And, yes, this could be the league that offers Michael Vick a chance to play this fall once he cleans up all his legal problems.

The interesting part of this venture is that this "rival'' league doesn't appear to be a rival. The commissioner is Michael Huyghue, a former NFL senior vice president. In some ways, the UFL will be an unofficial developmental league for the NFL. The plan isn't to compete for players. The plan is to offer jobs and coaching to players who have been cut from NFL teams. That's something the league has needed for years for players on the street.

One major problem for the NFL is the UFL's presence will exhaust the supply of players available for teams that need to fill holes during the season. From September to Thanksgiving, NFL teams that lose players are basically out of luck. It's hard finding players now. Imagine what it will be like with 200 players getting ready for the UFL season.

So why would some of America's best and brightest invest $30 million on this project? It's pretty simple. They are betting NFL owners will screw up labor talks in the next two years and have a lockout in 2011. If the NFL loses in labor, the UFL may win. If the NFL players are locked out, the UFL can offer them a home.

The key for the UFL is to survive for two years. If it can survive Year 1, the league will modestly expand in 2010 with a couple more teams and a few more games. Coaching salaries will increase to $1.5 million next year if that happens. Supposedly, the $30 million should carry the UFL into 2011.

Of course, if NFL owners reach a deal with the players by next March, the UFL will be nothing more than a fall developmental league, which isn't so bad.

The presence of the UFL is just a reminder to NFL owners to not overplay their hands in talks with NFL Players Association. Owners don't like to consider players as partners, but reality says they are. The current collective bargaining agreement might not be ideal for the owners, but they can't afford to let the salary cap go away in 2010.

The UFL is just a reminder to NFL owners not to screw things up in the next year.
So if they not competing with them then they gonna be their minor league?

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #82
Fresh Prince
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,649
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
That's what it is - a reject league. Any league trying to be anything else is doomed for failure because they can't compete against the NFL.

This league won't be for everyone, but it's not trying to be for everyone.
It's goal is to capture hometown support (I would have preferred San Francisco to be in LA or another California town, but whatever) and to win over hardcore NFL fan who listens to NFL radio and watches NFL replays.
So they trying to be its own league? Still they not gonna last long mind as well partner up with NFL. Also was NFL Europe that good?

P.S. I mean we never gonna get an AFL like from back in the 60s to really compete with NFL.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #83
Dr. Evil
Gamora
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 37,629
Default Re: Official: United Football League

The league's reason for a New York franchise (other then TV market) is this:

- They feel that because the Jets and Giants play in New Jersey that New York Proper (Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Long Island, Queens) deserves their own pro football team. Options include Citi Field (home of the Mets), Hofstra and Columbia.

The reason for San Francisco?

- They say that San Francisco has supported alternative football leagues before and that the 49ers will be playing further south in the Bay Area (Santa Clara) in a few years.

__________________
Hulkamania is back, brother!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #84
StorminNorman
Banned User
 
StorminNorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 30,658
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince View Post
So they trying to be its own league? Still they not gonna last long mind as well partner up with NFL. Also was NFL Europe that good?

P.S. I mean we never gonna get an AFL like from back in the 60s to really compete with NFL.
They are their own league, because there really is little benefit for the NFL to officially partner up with the UFL. Right now the NFL can reap the benefit of UFL players (players actually playing real football, improving their skills under former NFL coaches) without paying a dime.

There is never going to be another AFL-NFL situation ever. It's ridiculous to ever think that would ever happen again. The only way it would even be possible is a massive NFL labor dispute - and both the NFLPA and the NFL is far too smarter to let that happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
The league's reason for a New York franchise (other then TV market) is this:

- They feel that because the Jets and Giants play in New Jersey that New York Proper (Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Long Island, Queens) deserves their own pro football team. Options include Citi Field (home of the Mets), Hofstra and Columbia.

The reason for San Francisco?

- They say that San Francisco has supported alternative football leagues before and that the 49ers will be playing further south in the Bay Area (Santa Clara) in a few years.
I understand their reasoning, I just think neither are going to work quite as well as they hope. At least not without some gimmicks (which I would completely support). If I was the New York UFL team, I would try to load up on as many Buffalo, Syracuse and Rutgers players I can get my hands on. If the New York team is dominated by New York area college players, people will care about them in that city.

If Atlanta put out a team featuring D.J. Shockley, Thomas Brown and Reggie Brown with an Odell Thurman led defense, they would sell out every game.

StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #85
Dr. Evil
Gamora
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 37,629
Default Re: Official: United Football League

A possible work stoppage in the NFL isn't going to affect the UFL all that much. Besides, all of the elite level players will be doing commercial endorsements for products. It won't happen though. Unlike baseball, the NFL isn't run by a bunch of drunken idiots.

__________________
Hulkamania is back, brother!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #86
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,160
Default Re: Official: United Football League

I want the UFL to succeed. NFL is greedy anyway. Don't get me wrong, I like the NFL, but greed runs it.

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #87
Fresh Prince
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,649
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Sad I wish their can be an AFL-NFl again. Oh well. UFl and USFL will not last long.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #88
rdh007
Brit Wannabe
 
rdh007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Visiting the Pig Farm
Posts: 8,501
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince View Post
Lol that would be amazing. Thats how you want Detroit Lions to do their stadium?
If you've ever been there, you'd know how boring it is. Probably somewhere between that and what they do now (nothing) would be good.

I mean, Big Boy is a major part of the concessions. Big Boy.

__________________
Do you know what nemesis means?
rdh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #89
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider
 
Venom'sDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,988
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Usfl ???

__________________
___________________________________
Foxx-Electro * Giamatti-Rhino * DeHaan-ProtoGoblin
My JL Trailer * The Unholy Trinity of Venom * The Sinister 6
Venom'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #90
FaT_tONle
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: En Mi Casa
Posts: 14,549
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince View Post
So they trying to be its own league? Still they not gonna last long might as well partner up with NFL. Also was NFL Europe that good?

P.S. I mean we never gonna get an AFL like from back in the 60s to really compete with NFL.
Agreed. NFL Europe folded because it featured below practice squad talent. This is bascially a reject league. Unless it's another league working through the NFL, it will fail.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #91
Fresh Prince
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,649
Default Re: Official: United Football League

It will fail regardless.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #92
Fresh Prince
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,649
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh007 View Post
If you've ever been there, you'd know how boring it is. Probably somewhere between that and what they do now (nothing) would be good.

I mean, Big Boy is a major part of the concessions. Big Boy.
Uh no never been to a Lions game thank god.

Fresh Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #93
StorminNorman
Banned User
 
StorminNorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 30,658
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
I want the UFL to succeed. NFL is greedy anyway. Don't get me wrong, I like the NFL, but greed runs it.
Good business is run by greed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince View Post
Sad I wish their can be an AFL-NFl again. Oh well. UFl and USFL will not last long.
Why? I mean what possible benefit comes from having two competing, separate professional leagues? I mean we still have an AFL/NFL-like system...it's called the AFC and the NFC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
Agreed. NFL Europe folded because it featured below practice squad talent. This is bascially a reject league. Unless it's another league working through the NFL, it will fail.
NFL Europe folded because the league's time frame reduced it's usefulness to the league and the objective of the league wasn't clear.

If NFL Europe's goal was to increase European interest in football, it was a foolish idea because you can't force people to care about non-stars.

If NFL Europe's goal was to create a farm league, it was poorly planned because a farm league for the NFL is most useful DURING the season! That way players are not playing 20+ games a year (if you played a full NFL Europe and then NFL season) and it means that players are in football shape during the season when teams need them. Pedestrian football fans have no idea how hard it is for Player X to go from free agent to professional football player - having players already playing football being able to be called up will help the quality of play tremendously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Prince View Post
It will fail regardless.
It may fail, but it can easily succeed.

StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #94
FaT_tONle
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: En Mi Casa
Posts: 14,549
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
NFL Europe folded because the league's time frame reduced it's usefulness to the league and the objective of the league wasn't clear.
Objective wasn't clear? Seemed pretty clear to me. Market the game. Provide more opportunities for players.

Quote:
If NFL Europe's goal was to increase European interest in football, it was a foolish idea because you can't force people to care about non-stars.
Isn't that what I basically said? But if you feel you need to elaborate on every point I make then be my guest.

Quote:
If NFL Europe's goal was to create a farm league, it was poorly planned because a farm league for the NFL is most useful DURING the season! That way players are not playing 20+ games a year (if you played a full NFL Europe and then NFL season) and it means that players are in football shape during the season when teams need them. Pedestrian football fans have no idea how hard it is for Player X to go from free agent to professional football player - having players already playing football being able to be called up will help the quality of play tremendously.
A farm league at that time of year is going to generate zero interest but yeah it's the right time for it. But a league that is separate that is trying to market itself with has been players/coaches at that time in the year will also have zero interest. Unless it was a Spring league where players go there to basically retire, it will get no attention. When I think farm league, I think teams sending their rookie QB's to start there for a year or two if they are not NFL ready. Clearly that's not what is happening. I just don't know why you are so optimistic about it.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #95
StorminNorman
Banned User
 
StorminNorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 30,658
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
Objective wasn't clear? Seemed pretty clear to me. Market the game. Provide more opportunities for players.
And those two objects do not mix well. If you want to market the game - you need high profile talent. If you want to provide opportunities for players, you need to have the season DURING the regular season and it needs to be cost effective: putting it in Europe is counter productive. That's why the objective of NFL Europe wasn't clear.

Quote:
A farm league at that time of year is going to generate zero interest but yeah it's the right time for it. But a league that is separate that is trying to market itself with has been players/coaches at that time in the year will also have zero interest. Unless it was a Spring league where players go there to basically retire, it will get no attention. When I think farm league, I think teams sending their rookie QB's to start there for a year or two if they are not NFL ready. Clearly that's not what is happening. I just don't know why you are so optimistic about it.
I think you underestimate the interest a farm football league could have. The key is going to be how the UFL markets itself. Getting Vick would be a major boon, pumping teams with area college players will generate interest. Having quality football will generate interest.

If the UFL can establish the idea of it being a legitimate path to the NFL - it will have success.

Again, the UFL is not trying to be one of the major professional leagues - so mocking it saying "it will have worse ratings than the NHL" is incredibly foolish.

StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #96
FaT_tONle
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: En Mi Casa
Posts: 14,549
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
I think you underestimate the interest a farm football league could have. The key is going to be how the UFL markets itself. Getting Vick would be a major boon, pumping teams with area college players will generate interest. Having quality football will generate interest.
I would NEVER market my game on the Vicks, the PacMans, the Tank Johnsons, and all these other scandalous names they are targeting. That generates interest on a year by year, or heck a month by month, or hell even game by game basis. I get that they will need veteran players but you don't market around them. Until it's an actual farm league, where fans can see their future players develop knowing they will contribute to their teams in the near future I have absolutely zero interest. For example, being that the Cowboys drafted so many guys all of whom won't make the team, I'd like to see them get playing time in this league. I'd like to see their 4th round pick in McGee start for somebody since he won't get any playing time this year. Rather than that... should a Cowboy that got drafted get cut and not make the team, I am not going to care about that player anymore if the Cowboys no longer hold rights to that player.


Last edited by FaT_tONle; 07-23-2009 at 05:54 PM.
FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #97
StorminNorman
Banned User
 
StorminNorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 30,658
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
I would NEVER market my game on the Vicks, the PacMans, the Tank Johnsons and all these other scandalous names they are targeting.
I am not advocating Pac Man and Tank Johnson doesn't deserve to be connected with the other two. Vick's entertainment factor overrides any scandal. If Vick plays like he did at VT or Atlanta, people will be interested in watching him play - and that puts the UFL's foot in peoples door.

Quote:
That generates interest on a year by year, or heck a month by month, or hell even game by game basis. I get that they will need veteran players but you don't market around them. Until it's an actual farm league, where fans can see their future players develop knowing they will contribute to their teams in the near future I have absolutely zero interest. For example, being that the Cowboys drafted so many guys all of whom won't make the team, I'd like to see them get playing time in this league. I'd like to see their 4th round pick in McGee start for somebody since he won't get any playing time this year. Rather than that... should a Cowboy that got drafted get cut and not make the team, I am not going to care about that player anymore if the Cowboys no longer hold rights to that player.
I think winning over college fans will be far more easier than winning over NFL fans. College football fans enjoy watching former Saturday stars play football - they feel loyalty to them.

StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #98
FaT_tONle
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: En Mi Casa
Posts: 14,549
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
I think winning over college fans will be far more easier than winning over NFL fans. College football fans enjoy watching former Saturday stars play football - they feel loyalty to them.
That's one long term strategy... but not one I'd agree with.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #99
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: Official: United Football League

if it makes football more affordable, I might drive to Hartford for a game

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #100
StorminNorman
Banned User
 
StorminNorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 30,658
Default Re: Official: United Football League

Who wouldn't enjoy going to a cheap football game? I mean as long as the quality of play is solid (i.e. above-college level) it should be a lot of fun to watch. I mean these are players receiving NFL level coaching. The quality of coaching hasn't been seen in a real football league (sorry AFL) in quite a long time.

StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.