The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 03-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #76
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sam Rockwell is Justin Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
Based on that look I am thinking MIT rival of Tony's that went on to do great things himself.
I think that was the description we got of Justin Hammer as a rival to Stark. He acts like Stark before he got captured and does shady deals. Probably knew Stane.

Gold Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #77
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
I have a feeling he won't have alot of screentime though.
What makes you say that? I think the fact that Marvel was in negotiations with him and Rourke before they started narrowing in on an actress for Black Widow is very telling. I have a feeling he and Rourke are going to have equally large roles - one the villain for Tony Stark and one the villain for Iron Man.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:18 AM   #78
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson Caspian View Post
You do know how to read, don't you?

"Peter Cushing would've been a better choice."
Hmmm, I see that you've responded to what was intended to be a playful post in a somewhat serious manner. Your sense of humour must be languishing in the same dank, dark place as my ability to read.

If you want to go that route though, then here goes - I get that you're saying that how they drew the character had a passing resembalance to Cushing and therefore he would have been a good fit for the role, but, 'a better choice' infers that he was available to be chosen for the role in the 1st place. As I pointed out, seeing as how he's been dead for 15 years, it's really quite redundant.

His services are obviously unnavailable and so the point is a moot one. A person cant have been a better choice if they arent in the mix in the 1st place.

See, I can read just fine - this is more about your poor choice of words. 'Peter Cushing would've been perfect casting - had he not died 15 years previously or this movie had been filmed in the early nineties and the producers were in a position to cast him' probably wouldve been a bit moe appropriate.

But, hey, that would just be pretty pedantic, wouldnt it?

Here's an idea - how about you stop taking things quite so literaaly, and just free your sense of humour instead - the forum will be a more enjoyable place for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson Caspian View Post
Even if this was Batman & Robin, you couldn't see that.
Hmm, not sure what you're saying here, slick. You'd think for someone who has doubts about my ability to read, you coulda made your inferrence a little clearer.

Please elaborate on how B&R is in any way relevant in any shape of form to what I said.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #79
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Actually that's not really clear at all, which is the point of my post above.
See below posts for your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
Based on that look I am thinking MIT rival of Tony's that went on to do great things himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Samurai View Post
I think that was the description we got of Justin Hammer as a rival to Stark. He acts like Stark before he got captured and does shady deals. Probably knew Stane.
Maybe it's not 'clear' per se, but there are indications that this is going to be the case.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #80
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
Rockwell is looking like a sleazy, SOB businessman.
I think that may be what they are going for, someone Starks age, he will be the head of Roxxon Corp, he'll be Tony Stark, except evil and not as gifted.
They already went with the older Buinessman with Stane, so it makes sense to make the change and turn Hammer from 70 to 35ish.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #81
The IronMan
Side-Kick

Does anyone think that Justin Hammer will have ties with the ten rings?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #82
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan72 View Post
I think that may be what they are going for, someone Starks age, he will be the head of Roxxon Corp, he'll be Tony Stark, except evil and not as gifted.

They already went with the older Buinessman with Stane, so it makes sense to make the change and turn Hammer from 70 to 35ish.
That it in a nutshell; and I would have no problems with it if it were the case.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #83
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
What makes you say that? I think the fact that Marvel was in negotiations with him and Rourke before they started narrowing in on an actress for Black Widow is very telling. I have a feeling he and Rourke are going to have equally large roles - one the villain for Tony Stark and one the villain for Iron Man.
I don't know really. Just a feeling. With Rourke and Black Widow in I don't know how they'll balance these guys. Rourke will probably work for Hammer, and I don't know what they'll do with her yet.

But you may be right. I'm already starting to visualize how Rockwell will play the role. He's a sleazy guy, but really he could be a spoiled brat or something that is jealous of Tony underneath his sleazyness, always tries to top him.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher. To break barriers... to reach for the stars... to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we're still pioneers... that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us. That our destiny lies above us."
Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #84
Chris B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
I don't know really. Just a feeling. With Rourke and Black Widow in I don't know how they'll balance these guys. Rourke will probably work for Hammer, and I don't know what they'll do with her yet.

But you may be right. I'm already starting to visualize how Rockwell will play the role. He's a sleazy guy, but really he could be a spoiled brat or something that is jealous of Tony underneath his sleazyness, always tries to top him.
Personally, I can see them paying tribute to BW roots in the comics with her starting off as a villain. In this case, working for Hammer, engaged in corporate espionage.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #85
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

That's what I think will happen.

I would love to see some fling with her and Stark. I heard there's aplotpoint where Stark has to deal with Pepper getting a boyfriend and his age. Maybe drinking alot and flirting dangeriously with her will be something in the film.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Stark's journey in this film.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher. To break barriers... to reach for the stars... to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we're still pioneers... that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us. That our destiny lies above us."
Old 03-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #86
Ash Talon
Side-Kick

I think they're blending Justin Hammer and Ezekiel Stane from the comics. As everyone else is stating, they're making JH into something of an evil Stark. Rockwell fits this take.

I think Rourke works for Rockwell as an enforcer, Whiplash, for Rockwell's shady dealings. Rourke happens to be Russian as well.

The Black Widow probably has some Russian connection to Rourke and is sent in to spy on Stark for Hammer. She might even steal the IM designs for Hammer, who uses them to upgrade Whiplash into the Crimson Dynamo.

BW will probably get caught at the end and be offered a spot in SHIELD to atone for her sins.

I think Whiplash or BW might have ties to Mandarin as well.

Ash Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:21 AM   #87
Kirk 1701
Banned User

Who is this Sam Rockwell guy? Has he ever been in a very sucessfully movie in the past ten years, that has made over a hundred million dollars? Why is Sam Rockwell playing Justin Hammer at half his age? Is Jon Favreau bias towards senior citizens and not hiring any older gentleman to play Justin Hammer? It must be Marvel Entertainment. I guess they need to get some actors at a cheap price and hog all the profits for themselves.

:facepalm

Last edited by Kirk 1701; 03-31-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Kirk 1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 AM   #88
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk 1701 View Post
Who is this Sam Rockwell guy? Has he ever been is a very sucessfully movie in the past ten years that has made over a hundred million dollars? Why is Sam Rockwell playing Justin Hammer at half his age? Is Jon Favreau bias towards senior citizens and not hiring any older gentleman to play Justin Hammer? It must be Marvel Entertainment. I guess they need to get some actors at a cheap price and hog all the profits for themselves.

Why do you have this very strange obsession with money? Why do you think that the only way to measure the success of a movie are the box-office takings? Where have you been the last decade that Sam Rockwell is not familiar with you? Why is almost every sentence of your post a question? And we still dont know how old Justin Hammer will be. Rumors state that there will be flashbacks with Howard Stark played by Tim Robbins in IM2 and the possibility of Rockwell playing Hammer in those flashbacks is still there.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #89
Kirk 1701
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Why do you have this very strange obsession with money? Why do you think that the only way to measure the success of a movie are the box-office takings? Where have you been the last decade that Sam Rockwell is not familiar with you? Why is almost every sentence of your post a question? And we still dont know how old Justin Hammer will be. Rumors state that there will be flashbacks with Howard Stark played by Tim Robbins in IM2 and the possibility of Rockwell playing Hammer in those flashbacks is still there.
Well, apparently you don't live here in the U.S.A. I hate to say this, but Americans do measure people by their pocket books. If you ask any honest man or woman, they all would want be super rich. We are the richest country and the last superpower on earth. Even thogh we are having trouble with the ecomomy right now. Most people from foreign lands want to live here. I never heard of Sam Rockwell, so I guess he not a household name yet.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:48 AM   #90
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Who is this Sam Rockwell guy? Has he ever been is a very sucessfully movie in the past ten years that has made over a hundred million dollars? Why is Sam Rockwell playing Justin Hammer at half his age? Is Jon Favreau bias towards senior citizens and not hiring any older gentleman to play Justin Hammer? It must be Marvel Entertainment. I guess they need to get some actors at a cheap price and hog all the profits for themselves.

Quote:
Well, apparently you don't live here in the U.S.A. I hate to say this, but Americans do measure people by their pocket books. If you ask any honest man or woman, they all would want be super rich. We are the richest country and the last superpower on earth. Even thogh we are having trouble with the ecomomy right now. Most people from foreign lands want to live here. I never heard of Sam Rockwell, so I guess he not a household name yet.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:56 AM   #91
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
I hate to say this, but Americans do measure people by their pocket books.
I know for a fact that this is a generalization and simply not true.

Quote:
We are the richest country and the last superpower on earth.
the richest country atm is still China. Im sorry to tell you, but this is where your Dollars come from.
Quote:
I never heard of Sam Rockwell, so I guess he not a household name yet.
au contraire, he had leading roles in movies like Confessions of A Dangerous Mind, The Hitchhiker`s Guide to the Galaxy, Frost/Nixon, Matchstick Men, Robin`s Big Date & a lot of other movies and is considered to be one of the finest actors at the moment

ZWERG/ELF

Old 03-31-2009, 08:18 AM   #92
Kirk 1701
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
I know for a fact that this is a generalization and simply not true.

the richest country atm is still China. Im sorry to tell you, but this is where your Dollars come from.

au contraire, he had leading roles in movies like Confessions of A Dangerous Mind, The Hitchhiker`s Guide to the Galaxy, Frost/Nixon, Matchstick Men, Robin`s Big Date & a lot of other movies and is considered to be one of the finest actors at the moment
So you are basically telling me, you would rather have a low paying job, never own a house, never have a family, and never be able to send your kids to an ivory league school like Harvard University. I guess you don't want your kids to be doctors or lawyers. Sorry I don't buy it. I love to give my kids the world if I had too. In this day and age, sucess is measure by your education and how much money you have in the bank.

You got me on the China answer, but I still belive in my country.

I never saw any of those movies with Sam Rockwell. I only watch big budget popcorn candy movies.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 AM   #93
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
So you are basically telling me, you would rather have a low paying job, never own a house, never have a family, and never be able to send your kids to an ivory league school like Harvard University. I guess you don't want your kids to be doctors or lawyers. Sorry I don't buy it. I love to give my kids the world if I had too. In this day and age, sucess is measure by your education and how much money you have in the bank.
No, I simply told you that your generalization was not true.

But yes, I have absolutely no problem with getting loads of money for my job, as long as I love that job and have the artistic freedom I want. Which are my 2 main criterias. And since Europe has developed socialdemocratic welfare states my kids wont have any problems regarding their education (as long as our standards are what they are or at least were before the neocons took over the government 8 years ago)

ZWERG/ELF

Old 03-31-2009, 12:20 PM   #94
cryptic name
No Limits

Quote:
Who is this Sam Rockwell guy? Has he ever been in a very sucessfully movie in the past ten years, that has made over a hundred million dollars? Why is Sam Rockwell playing Justin Hammer at half his age? Is Jon Favreau bias towards senior citizens and not hiring any older gentleman to play Justin Hammer? It must be Marvel Entertainment. I guess they need to get some actors at a cheap price and hog all the profits for themselves.

uh, he's a great actor so...who gives a ****?

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 PM   #95
Chewy
REDACTED

Mickey Rourke and RDJ had never made a movie that made $100M before joining Iron Man.

I think Kirk 1701 is just someone messing around. He's too over the top and ridiculous to be real

Old 03-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #96
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

How come he keeps doing the facepalm?

Maybe at his own foolishness at his post?

Old 03-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #97
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

I think he was being sarcastic - seems to me his post is more of an ironic swipe at those who are all too eager to jump on Favs and Marvel at any opportunity.

At least, I think that's what is was.

I wouldlve used a simple 'sheesh' and a instead of the :facepalm personally.

But, hey, that's just me.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #98
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:

You got me on the China answer, but I still belive in my country.

I never saw any of those movies with Sam Rockwell. I only watch big budget popcorn candy movies.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:45 PM   #99
Kirk 1701
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Mickey Rourke and RDJ had never made a movie that made $100M before joining Iron Man.

I think Kirk 1701 is just someone messing around. He's too over the top and ridiculous to be real
I hate to busrt your bubble, but can you at least have all the facts before you tell people that I'am over the top and ridiculous. Mickey Rourke and Robert Downey JR. both had movies that were both successful and made over $100M. Mickey Rourke was in Sin City. The movie made $158M worldwide. Robert Downey JR. was in U.S. Marshall. The movie made $102M worldwide. Both movies came out long before Iron Man. Try to do some research on the net and get the facts before you post.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:48 PM   #100
Chewy
REDACTED

I hate to burst your bubble, but I thought we were referring to Domestic gross. If we're referring to WW gross, then Rockwell starred in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which made $104M WW. Try to do some research before you come in and complain inaccurately that a certain actor hasn't had successful movies.