The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 09-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #651
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The Official Marvel Recommendations Thread

Ah. I'm not really sure how I feel about Man-Thing talking now. It's weird.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #652
Anubis
Sup?

Just read everything he says in the voice of Patrick Stewart.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #653
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

But then I'm gonna start thinking Captain Picard got eaten by a swamp.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #654
Anubis
Sup?

Even Better.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #655
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Fair point.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #656
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

One unreleased story, a follow on from Song-cry of the Dead Man.

Read it if you get the chance, along with the Lost Dogs hardcover release I'd have it down as one of the biggest bargains of the year so far, as in addition to the 3 issues you also get the classic Song-cry and Savage Tales #1.

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

More Anubis' greatest hits:
"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Hound55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #657
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

What books are expected to be good with the Relaunch?

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #658
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

Uncanny Avengers and Captain America should be good based on Remender's track record alone.

I'm excited for Aaron's Thor but his run on Hulk was so sub-par, I'm a tad skeptical.

I like Gillen on Iron Man but Greg Land's art his a huge turn off.

Waid's Hulk should be great.

I'm 50/50 on Hickman's Avengers books. Hickman has bored me in the past but on the other hand a voice other than Bendis is a most welcome change.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #659
slicer4444
Side-Kick

Is the 2006 Ghost Rider series (written first by Daniel Way, then Jason Aaron) any good? I don't know a whole lot about the character, but the things I've read on the internet sound interesting. I haven't read anything by these writers, so I only know what has been said about them on the internet. I was also looking at the Ghost Rider Classic with Danny Ketch, but I wanted to read something with Blaze instead. Any thoughts on either?

slicer4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #660
THANOSRULES
Side-Kick

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sept...es-charts.html

So double ships are exhausting marvel fans....and it's really taking a toll on overrall sales as DC0 month destroys marvel sales. I mean I know it's gimmicky at DC too..but its working..

Look at some of those 0 books and what they are outselling at marvel. Batwomen still outselling mainline Marvel staples like Cap, Thor, Iron man, Hulk books.

MY recommendationisney needs to step in and right this ship. Joe Q and Axel are not good marketers. Which they wont till Marvel Now has played out..and will likely give some boosts.

MARVEL, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL NEW WARRIORS!
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #661
Vapor
Omlette Du Fromage

Thinking of getting back into comics. I use to collect about 10 years ago now, around about ASM 500 and had to stop mostly due to financial reasons. But I've been reading a lot of ASM stuff at work.. We get these things called Marvel Collector Editions which re-print stories that are probably 1-2 years old, for instance, at the moment it's on Spider Island. So I've been catching a lot of Dan Slotts stuff and also going back to what Bob Gale did and I've been enjoying most of it, especially Dan Slotts stuff..

And now I've heard about the Marvel Now stuff so I thought it might be a good jumping on point.

I'm thinking Superior Spidey will be one of them. How's Ultimate Spider-Man these days? I know Pete has being replaced there but I always enjoyed that book.

And I'm also thinking Thunderbolts 'cos it seems like an interesting team.. Probably an X-men one although the All New X-Men doesn't sound very interesting so maybe Cable and X-Force.. Not too keen on guys like Iron Man, Thor etc as individual books but maybe as an Avengers title... Exiles isn't still going is it? always enjoyed that book too.

I'm looking at maybe 4 or 5 books so if any one could reccommend a few titles, either current/ongoing or NOW then that would be much appreciated.

Cat: Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty...but I'd be thinkin' of Wilma.
Lister: This is stupid. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
Cat: You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation.
Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

~ R.I.P Venom_UK

Last edited by Vapor; 10-11-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #662
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

If you want an X-Men book I'd go with Wolverine and the X-Men, it's been pretty outstanding. There's also a book that just released this week, Uncanny Avengers, which is a hybrid Avengers/X-Men team title. It's been getting great reviews and has apparently sold over 300,000 copies.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #663
slicer4444
Side-Kick

Is the 2006 Ghost Rider series (written first by Daniel Way, then Jason Aaron) any good? I don't know a whole lot about the character, but the things I've read on the internet sound interesting. I haven't read anything by these writers, so I only know what has been said about them on the internet. I was also looking at the Ghost Rider Classic with Danny Ketch, but I wanted to read something with Blaze instead. Any thoughts on either?

Is it possible to jump into Peter David's run on the Incredible Hulk without being too lost? (The only real exposure I've had to Hulk are the movies and some internet reading)

Is Immortal Iron Fist worth reading past Fraction's run? I know it didn't last much longer than that. I have the first trade and I enjoyed it a lot.

slicer4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #664
HydraSupreme
Newbie First Class

I stopped buying comics since 2003 since they kept doing the whole origin thing over and over with certain comics like Fantastic Four. I got fed up with that kind of crap. I dont need to see different versions with twists in how a superheror of teams got their powers differently but done to stick with the original way. Etc.

anyways I have alot of catching up to with older Fantastic Four stuff from the early 2000s.

Anyone know what Fantastic Four series had a storyline where Ben Grimm became a millionaire and then he lost all the money or whatever?

HydraSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #665
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydraSupreme View Post
I stopped buying comics since 2003 since they kept doing the whole origin thing over and over with certain comics like Fantastic Four. I got fed up with that kind of crap. I dont need to see different versions with twists in how a superheror of teams got their powers differently but done to stick with the original way. Etc.

anyways I have alot of catching up to with older Fantastic Four stuff from the early 2000s.

Anyone know what Fantastic Four series had a storyline where Ben Grimm became a millionaire and then he lost all the money or whatever?
isn't that his own comic called Thing? i may be wrong, but i believe it's the Slott run where he's the millionaire

Old 10-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #666
webhead921
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer4444 View Post

Is it possible to jump into Peter David's run on the Incredible Hulk without being too lost? (The only real exposure I've had to Hulk are the movies and some internet reading)

Is Immortal Iron Fist worth reading past Fraction's run? I know it didn't last much longer than that. I have the first trade and I enjoyed it a lot.
Immortal iron fist is fantastic, and it maintains consistent quality past fraction/brubaker's run

I'm Commander Shepard, and Jade Empire is my favorite Bioware game on the Citadel.
webhead921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #667
GNR
worships John Matrix.

Hey all,been a long ass time,anyways....

what's good to read these days from Marvel?I've noticed a ****load of new writers.

GNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #668
SpideyForPrez
Pandering to Webublicans

Depends on when you last read some Marvel. Are you looking to get into individual issues or trades? Either way, you can't go wrong with Mark Waid's Daredevil. Dan Slott's Big Time run in Amazing Spider-Man has also been pretty great.

SpideyForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #669
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

You could go back and read Brian Micheal Bendis's run until Siege.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #670
Red
King Littlefinger

Would you recommend Spider-island for someone who hasn't been reading spidey for a few years?

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #671
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

I would.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #672
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Me too, it was actually my jumping on point after not reading comics for a while....bought the trade and now i cherish it

Old 11-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #673
nite-owl
Side-Kick

I want to get back into the X-Men what are the best titles to get and the best place to start?

nite-owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #674
runawayboulder
Spider-Sense...saturated

All New X-Men and Wolverine and the X-Men are the 2 main books right now. The first has Bendis and is only 2 issues in. WATXM is a terrific book by Jason Aaron and has been around for little over a year.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #675
nite-owl
Side-Kick

I' am usually not a fan of Bendis but I' am willing to give his All New X-Men a chance.

nite-owl is offline   Reply With Quote