The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:12 AM   #51
gildea
Side-Kick

Default Re: Recommend me something...

Alias is about a private detective who used to be a superhero but she couldn't quite cut it. It's not related to the tv show. It's arguably the most vertigo esque title that existed in the Marvel universe but it works very well self contained.

Marvels or punisher: born are probably the cheapest.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:20 AM   #52
Mladen
Side-Kick

excellent, thanks for you help!
anybody else, im open to more suggestions?

Old 08-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #53
iloveclones
spooky....

Daredevil has been good for a long time. From Bendis' run through the current Brubaker(Gotham Central) run.

Brubakers Captain America is fantastic. All available in tpb.

Mark Millar had a run on Wolverine called Enemy of the State and Wolverine:Agent of SHIELD that was extremely fun.

For general Marvel character fun, they revived Marvel Team-Up with a rotating cast. I loved it.

As for the x-titles, probably the best one in the past few years has been a mini called Madrox that morphed into X-Factor, both written by Peter David. Also, going back a few years, try out the first few Exiles tpbs by Judd Winnick (another DC guy)

If you like your Hulk, give Planet Hulk a try. They shot him off to a planet and he ended up as a gladiator. Now, he's back on earth for a little payback (That's what World War Hulk is all about)

Honestly, there's a ton of things I could recommend. But I don't think you could go wrong with any of the above.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=345971
Old 08-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #54
iloveclones
spooky....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mladen View Post
Either way I'll have to check those out. Is alias a spinoff of the tv series?
Which of those would you think might be the cheapest? I'll probably splurge at some point, but I want to start with something fairly inexpensive so even If I don't like it, it wont feel like wasted money?
Have you ever considered buying comics on DVD. Not as satisfying, I know, but a lot of bang for your buck. Most of them go up to what's happened in the last year.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #55
Mladen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclones View Post
Have you ever considered buying comics on DVD. Not as satisfying, I know, but a lot of bang for your buck. Most of them go up to what's happened in the last year.
I didn't even know they did that...
I spend too much time at the computer anyway (I work as a Architect/Drafter so I pretty much sit in front of a computer screen all day... my eyes need the rest!)

thanks for the comic suggestions, i'll give some of those a look. The only daredevil I ever read would have been about ten years ago, and it was a Frank Miller trade (good stuff). Don't think I've EVER read anything of the hulk so i have no idea what to expect.
I'll probably bug the guys at the comic-book store to suggest stuff for me as well

Old 08-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #56
Mr. Green
Where the Wild Hulks Are

You should check out the official recommendations thread: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=186190

I personally recommend checking out Powers by Bendis with art by Michael Avon Oeming. It's currently under the Icon imprint which is like Marvel's version of Vertigo, but the book started out under Image.

Anyway, it's a crime-drama that takes place in a world with a bunch of Marvel/DC-esque heroes and villains. The story follows two detectives who investigate powers-related-murders. As you progress through the story it becomes much more than that though and it is some of Bendis' best work.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #57
Anubis
Sup?

His very best work if you ask me.

H.E.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:04 PM   #58
The Comedian
Side-Kick

Also if you end up liking Marvels, see if you can find a copy of "Ruins". It was kind of a companion piece to Marvels that showed a very dark, distrbing version of the Marvel U. For example instead of the gamma rays turning Bruce Banner powered as the Hulk, he turns green and huge exploding with tumours, and some of the x-men are held in a special prison with Wilson Fisk as the warden, and some have been mutilated to prevent the use of their powers.
Unfortunately I think it may be out of print at this time.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #59
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

If you liked the Epic Books (and the Vertigo Titles), then run out and buy Moonshadow (which originally appeared in the mid-80's under Marvel's Epic Line) by J.M.Dematteis. The series was picked up by DC in the late 90's and re-released under their Vertigo imprint...

Absolutely MIND-BOGGLING comic YEARS ahead of it's time when it came out in the 80's...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Old 08-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #60
Anubis
Sup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
If you liked the Epic Books (and the Vertigo Titles), then run out and buy Moonshadow (which originally appeared in the mid-80's under Marvel's Epic Line) by J.M.Dematteis. The series was picked up by DC in the late 90's and re-released under their Vertigo imprint...

Absolutely MIND-BOGGLING comic YEARS ahead of it's time when it came out in the 80's...

QFT

H.E.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:07 PM   #61
Mladen
Side-Kick

Quote:
If you liked the Epic Books (and the Vertigo Titles), then run out and buy Moonshadow
The covers for it look fantastic and very 80s. Thats definately going to the top of my buy list. thanks themanofbat!

Quote:
I personally recommend checking out Powers by Bendis
I always noticed that one on the shelf but its always been sealed so I havent been able to have a look. I'll pick up the first volume next time I go, thanks Mr. Green.

Quote:
Also if you end up liking Marvels, see if you can find a copy of "Ruins".
That sounds awesome, (I remember a bunch of WHAT IF marvel comics in the 80s 90s which sounded like this!). Question: is the art by alex ross? I'll level with you and admit I'm not a fan of his work. He does a mean-looking pin-up but I find his artwork incredibly difficult to read in a comic...

These are great suggestions, thanks everybody!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:45 PM   #62
The Comedian
Side-Kick

Quote:
The covers for it look fantastic and very 80s. Thats definately going to the top of my buy list. thanks themanofbat!

I always noticed that one on the shelf but its always been sealed so I havent been able to have a look. I'll pick up the first volume next time I go, thanks Mr. Green.

That sounds awesome, (I remember a bunch of WHAT IF marvel comics in the 80s 90s which sounded like this!). Question: is the art by alex ross? I'll level with you and admit I'm not a fan of his work. He does a mean-looking pin-up but I find his artwork incredibly difficult to read in a comic...

These are great suggestions, thanks everybody!
No, Ross didn't do this one, but the art is done in a painted stlye. The artist for the seriesis mostly known for painting illustrations for Magic: The Gathering cards. In Marvels, Alex Ross' art isn't particularly hard to read because the format isn't in small panels like typical books, instead most pages are larger painted images so it shouldn't be difficult if you enjoy his poster/pinup work.

If you can rind the series, it's a great read and it's not ecessary to read Marvels to get it, but I read them back to back and I htought it helped the experience to have the two highly contrasting views of the Marvel U, Marvels where the vision of Superheroes is glorious and romanticized, then Ruins where it's superpowers bring nothing but pain and misery to those who have them and those around them.

Like I said, I think it's out of print, but you can find both issues on eBay together fairly cheap, Marvels is still widely available.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #63
Marcdachamp
Side-Kick

All boils down to what you're looking for:

Alias- People fielded this one, I'll just throw my hat in.

Runaways- Fantastic series with awesome twists and great characterization.

Spider-Man loves Mary Jane- Not for everyone, but a great teen romance based on some of comic's greatest characters.

Civil War- Awesome story with brilliant art. Great parallels to many questions in today's society.

Daredevil by Bendis- Noir and proud of it. Fits in very well with Alias.

Captain America by Brubaker- No question, one of the most exciting comics month after month.

Madrox: "Yeah? What makes you say that?"

Layla: "'Cause eventually we get married."
Old 08-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #64
venom892
Got Lucky

Don't know if you want anything spidey but Kraven's Last hunt is spectacular.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:24 AM   #65
Mladen
Side-Kick

wow, the list is getting extensive! thanks everybody for all your help so far.

Alias keeps getting mentioned and I've never even heard of it! definately going near the top of my to-buy pile so thanks people who suggested it.

A lot of people keep suggesting captain america, specifically the Brubaker run... thats one character i've never been able to really take seriously as a concept, but ive never read anything about him so I'm not sure what to expect... i dont know what the book is like, but the name makes me think of something unabashedly patriotic... Is it? I'm willing to give it a go if its not just a big 'god bless america' type book...

Old 08-14-2007, 02:29 AM   #66
Marcdachamp
Side-Kick

Quote:

Alias keeps getting mentioned and I've never even heard of it! definately going near the top of my to-buy pile so thanks people who suggested it.

A lot of people keep suggesting captain america, specifically the Brubaker run... thats one character i've never been able to really take seriously as a concept, but ive never read anything about him so I'm not sure what to expect... i dont know what the book is like, but the name makes me think of something unabashedly patriotic... Is it? I'm willing to give it a go if its not just a big 'god bless america' type book...
Not at all. It's more like 24.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:57 AM   #67
The Comedian
Side-Kick

Quote:

Nope, Brubaker's Cap isn't the same Gung-Ho USA character from the 40's, today the comic does have more of an espionage feel to it, 24 with superheroes is a good compariosn as the poster before mentioned. I usually hate the uber-patriotic book because I'm not American, but Brubaker's Cap is a good series.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #68
gildea
Side-Kick

Cripes can't believe I forgot to put in "kravens last hunt"

Old 08-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #69
Marcdachamp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Comedian View Post
Nope, Brubaker's Cap isn't the same Gung-Ho USA character from the 40's, today the comic does have more of an espionage feel to it, 24 with superheroes is a good compariosn as the poster before mentioned. I usually hate the uber-patriotic book because I'm not American, but Brubaker's Cap is a good series.
The poster before? There is only ONE Marcdachamp, fool!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #70
Roughneck
Side-Kick

I recommend to you....Terror Inc #1....Out today

Old 08-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #71
Doc Destruction
Geaux Saints!

Was it really that good? I picked it up, but wasn't sure enough to buy it.

#1 fan of Marrow and Ambush Bug. I must be nuts.
Intelligent comic readers do not hate change! We hate BAD CHANGE. Learn the difference.
You wanna rock? Check out PKS!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #72
iloveclones
spooky....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Destruction View Post
Was it really that good? I picked it up, but wasn't sure enough to buy it.
Outside of MTU, that was that the first Terror Inc I ever picked up. I liked it. Very darkly funny. I would definately recommend it...

Old 01-30-2008, 03:01 AM   #73
webhead921
Side-Kick

Default Pull Recommendations

Hello to all!

I am looking for some advice. Right now I am pretty poor, and cannot afford a lot of comics. In my pull I have Captain America, Buffy Season 8, Mighty and New Avengers. I just added the two avengers titles, and am going to try them out to see if I like them or not. I can't afford a lot, but would like to add one or two more things to my pull. I can't afford trades or back issues right now, so just want to jump into a series that is relatively easy to just pick up. I am open to DC or marvel or whatever. I can only really afford $20-30 a month on comics. I'm definitely keeping Cap and Buffy no matter what (cap is my favorite and buffy is my girlfriend's), but I am on the fence on the avengers (i've never read an avengers comic before). I read spider-man, but since my library has a subscription and i can just read it there, i would rather save the money for reading something else. I've heard iron fist is cool, so i'm considering that. I've never read any dc other than batman, and would be open to trying that out as well. Any advice? Thanks!

Old 01-30-2008, 03:19 AM   #74
Elijya
Side-Kick

Default Re: Pull Recommendations

Hmm, well, both Avengers titles can be fun, and Iron fist is definitely a quality title. I'm personally a huge fan of Invincible, which is an Image series but it stands on its own so you don't have to worry about continuity, and I recommend that to a lot of people. If you ever wanted to expand a little outside of Marvel, that's definitely where I would point you. Issue #42 from a few months ago was written to be "new reader friendly" as a jumping-on point and was only $1.99, your store may still have a copy.

On the Marvel side, if you've ever had any interest in Thor, his new series is only a few issues in. If you want avengers, Avengers: the initiative is another way to go, since that series is less than a year old, and will introduce you to lots of characters in the Marvel Universe. Also, Incredible Hulk just changed to Incredible Hercules and it's ALOT of fun. There's only two issues out of Incredible Herc, so that's another easy jumping-on point for a fun, quality title. The only set-up you need is that in the recent Marvel superhero Civil War, Greek God and former Avenger Hercules was on the losing side, so now the government is after him, including his brother Ares God of War who works for them. At his side is Amadeus Cho, the smartest boy in the world who keeps getting him into more and more trouble. Here's a cover and a great scene from the book: (oh, and also a picture of Invincible)

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks

Last edited by Elijya; 01-30-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #75
Anubis
Sup?

Default Re: Pull Recommendations

Try here

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=240544

H.E.
Closed Thread