Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #151
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Batman TAS Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paste Pot Pete View Post
I do. In fact, I think the quality of the shows "declined" with each one (BTAS>STAS>BB>JL). I hate to even use the word "declined" because they're all astonishingly good shows in their own ways, vastly trumping the majority of other animation. I'm forced to split hairs in my distinctions.

The shows became more epic. More fan-service. More "adult," but only in a superficial sense, i.e. "Darkseid - man, that's some dark s***!" The sophistication and maturity of themes dwindled, and were at their strongest during BTAS. Take "I Am The Knight" - to have an episode of a "children's cartoon" where the hero spends most of the episode tormented over his failures, blaming himself for the near-death of his friend, reflecting on what it means to be a hero - that's thoughtful stuff, not seen before or (IMO) since, in mainstream animation. Even the humorous episodes of BTAS are funnier than half of the so-called "comedy" on television.

Maybe it's just my tastes. I enjoy a good, methodically-paced noir tale over a high-octane space adventure. Batman also always seemed more character-driven, Justice League being plot-driven.

But again, everything Timm, Dini & Co produced has been fried gold.
But that's the thing, BTAS wasn't good at exploring themes. Nor was it good at maintaining arcs. JLU was far better in those examples. In fact, the episode you list - I Am The Night - while very good, pulled Neichze (spelt that wrong) quotes out of nowhere that made no sense. JLU managaed to examine superheroes themselves, the consequences of their actions, and the answer to the question why heroes don't kill. Not ot mention JLU never really had an episode on a par with the awfulness of Batman in my Basement. By this point in time the team was experienced enough to be bold, to explore new horizons of storytelling and actually combine the best plots, themes and character moments to make the best show.

I know, we all love Batman, but really, how is Darkseid suddenly not mature? I'm not a guy who loves random darkness, but to call the sophistication and maturity of themes of JLU inferior to BTAS baffles me. It far exceeded BTAS (IMO of course), which is so much harder whne dealing with so many characters in such a wide universe. Just watch For the Man Who Has Everything or The Return and just try to explain how BTAS was more mature and sophisticated, because the team never would've pulled off anything like that with BTAS.

I do agree about Batman though, apart from a few episodes, he didn't get as much development in Justice League as I wanted. But the development of all the other leaguers outways that for me.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly
Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #152
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrrd_2 View Post
I wish they would bring back TAS...perhaps as a 6 part miniseries (maybe hour long episodes?) and show where the characters went after the series ended. make it a more pg-13 rated show, considering the people who followed the show so closely are more grown up now. It could show Barbara being paralyzed and becoming Oracle, the Hush story, even bring in Cassandra Cain as the new Batgirl.
Never will happen, at least on the DCAU. Barbara Gordon became Police Commisioner of Gotham. I doubt there would be a new Batgirl since no other costume was shown on the Batcave in Batman Beyond. I haven´t read the Hush story, so I can't comment on that.

But talking about possibilities, they could show the adventures of Nightwing on Blüdhaven for example. Or they could give us "Near Apocalypse of '09", this one is a must.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:15 AM   #153
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

It kinda sucks Batman joining JL, a loner in the group of superheroes. He should've stayed in Gotham.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:24 AM   #154
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
It kinda sucks Batman joining JL, a loner in the group of superheroes. He should've stayed in Gotham.
But he's not a loner. He has a heap of cool characters who help him out, like robin, Nightwing, Oracle, Spoiler, Huntress and Batgirl to name a few. Not to mention he does a whole lot more good in the Justice League than by himself.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly
Old 04-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #155
anrrd_2
YA POOZERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
Never will happen, at least on the DCAU. Barbara Gordon became Police Commisioner of Gotham. I doubt there would be a new Batgirl since no other costume was shown on the Batcave in Batman Beyond. I haven´t read the Hush story, so I can't comment on that.

But talking about possibilities, they could show the adventures of Nightwing on Blüdhaven for example. Or they could give us "Near Apocalypse of '09", this one is a must.
they could easily explain the barbara being paralzed story...even in the BOP show she was developing a technology to allow her to walk agian. its not impossible, just needs some minor tweeking.

the cassie cain thing is just my personal preference. cass is my favorite character of all the bat family...and pretty much all of comics in general. even through the complete raping she took from beechen and didio i still loved to read her books.

i did a render of what her bat girl outfit would have looked like had she made it on to the show.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #156
Blaztro
Joker's Minion

@ Two-Face:

I believe one of the first sentences in the DK book JLA: Ultimate Guide to the Justice League of AMerica is: It was all Batman's idea.

My Fan-Art Thread

My Fan-Fic (Batman: Punchline)
Old 04-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #157
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Here's a little tribute I did a while ago, is from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. Hope you like it:

Batman: Promises

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #158
Dark Guardian
Guardian of Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face=Badass View Post
But that's the thing, BTAS wasn't good at exploring themes. Nor was it good at maintaining arcs. JLU was far better in those examples. In fact, the episode you list - I Am The Night - while very good, pulled Neichze (spelt that wrong) quotes out of nowhere that made no sense. JLU managaed to examine superheroes themselves, the consequences of their actions, and the answer to the question why heroes don't kill. Not ot mention JLU never really had an episode on a par with the awfulness of Batman in my Basement. By this point in time the team was experienced enough to be bold, to explore new horizons of storytelling and actually combine the best plots, themes and character moments to make the best show.

I know, we all love Batman, but really, how is Darkseid suddenly not mature? I'm not a guy who loves random darkness, but to call the sophistication and maturity of themes of JLU inferior to BTAS baffles me. It far exceeded BTAS (IMO of course), which is so much harder whne dealing with so many characters in such a wide universe. Just watch For the Man Who Has Everything or The Return and just try to explain how BTAS was more mature and sophisticated, because the team never would've pulled off anything like that with BTAS.

I do agree about Batman though, apart from a few episodes, he didn't get as much development in Justice League as I wanted. But the development of all the other leaguers outways that for me.
I have to disagree. Now don't get me wrong, I love the Justice League and JLU series like crazy. Especially the Question. And I will admit that they had more arcs, whereas BTAS had more stand alone episodes and very few arcs.
But in terms of mature themes and sheer intelligence in atmosphere and storylines, I very much doubt there will ever be a cartoon to rise to the same level as The Animated Series. Nearly every single episode was exceedingly deep, and involved so very much more than just the action you saw on the screen. I. e "Perchance to Dream" "Appointment in Crime Alley" "Dreams in Darkness" "Robin's Reckoning"(which also is the single most awesome piece of Robin media in existance) and one of my all time personal favorites "His Silicon Soul" which alone presents more mature and thoughtful material than any of the Justice League or JLU.

I.N.W.T=In Nolan We Trust
Old 04-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #159
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Guardian View Post
I have to disagree. Now don't get me wrong, I love the Justice League and JLU series like crazy. Especially the Question. And I will admit that they had more arcs, whereas BTAS had more stand alone episodes and very few arcs.
But in terms of mature themes and sheer intelligence in atmosphere and storylines, I very much doubt there will ever be a cartoon to rise to the same level as The Animated Series. Nearly every single episode was exceedingly deep, and involved so very much more than just the action you saw on the screen. I. e "Perchance to Dream" "Appointment in Crime Alley" "Dreams in Darkness" "Robin's Reckoning"(which also is the single most awesome piece of Robin media in existance) and one of my all time personal favorites "His Silicon Soul" which alone presents more mature and thoughtful material than any of the Justice League or JLU.
Oh please, you're romanticizing the show to be something it is not. Yes BTAS is great, but you don't think a cartoon will ever rise to the level of maturity and intelligence of BTAS? Ridiculous, as if nearly every episode was exceedingly deep, not true. Perchance to Dream was great yes, but Dreams in Darkness is an inadvertently cheesy episode, that often gets the "deep" label just because it shows a scene of his parents death. You're bias of Robin's Reckoning as the most single awesome piece of Robin media in existence can be justified, yes the episodes are great, but the second part falters a lot compared to the first one. And don't even get me started on His Silicon Soul being more complex than any of JLU. The evil identity/do not kill message in that episode was as subtle as an anvil, and the final line just as painful. A Better World handled those themes far better.

Don't get me wrong, I love, LOVE BTAS. I watched a couple of episodes the other day from the first boxed set. I grew up on them, but seriously, I cannot believe that people could think that almost every single episode was amazingly deep and incredibly intelligent, because critically, a lot of episodes fail in terms of handling themes because the team was still learning. Are they still enjoyable and awesome? Yes, but not every episode is deep. A lot of episodes were just fun romps. Some were very deep and intelligent. But as for no other cartoon ever surpassing it, well, if you keep telling yourself that then you're never gonna see all the cartoons that have already surpassed it, even in the same animated universe.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly
Old 04-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #160
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Just to make peace, I think both of the series (Batman TAS and Justice League, even the entire DC Universe), have touched on several mature themes, just not the same ones. And its great, because they would be repeating themselves.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #161
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Let's bring this back, one of the best Batman show ever!

Old 12-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #162
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Watched Laughing Fish today.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #163
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Here are the episodes I think were the best for each of the following villains:

The Joker - The Laughing Fish

Harley Quinn - Harlequinade

The Penguin - Blind as a Bat

Two Face - Second Chance

Catwoman - Catwalk

Mr Freeze - Heart of Ice

The Riddler - Riddler's reform

Poison Ivy - House and Garden

The Ventriloquist and Scarface - Read my Lips

The Scarecrow - Never Fear

Ra's Al Ghul - The Demon's Quest part 1&2

Clayface - Mudslide

The Mad Hatter - Perchance to dream

Killer Croc - Sideshow

- The Joker
Old 12-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #164
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Eternal Youth - Posion Ivy is a good too I watched that too.

I finally brought Vol 2.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #165
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
I finally brought Vol 2.
Volumes 1-3 are the best, IMO. Vol 4 is good, but there's some duff episodes, like Critters, and some of the redesigns are not the best. Still a solid volume overall though.

- The Joker
Old 12-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #166
david icke
Banned User

They have still not released vol3 in the Uk, so i haven't got around to ordering it off the net or anything. But, I still have a few from vol3 on vhs I taped off tv when they were first broadcast.
My recording of it is very bad quality, but I love that Croc ep 'Sideshow', it has one of my fav sequences out of all the eps, the somewhat silent part where BM is chasing Croc through the wilderness at the start.
i've only seen one ep of vol4, the 'Legends of the Dark knight' ep, they never showed that on UK tv. I'll get that at some point too.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:21 AM   #167
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Yeah WB Home UK Ltd haven't released Vol 3. I want Vol 3 & 4.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #168
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

I got mine on Ebay. As a Bat fan, I simply have to own every episode of BTAS.

- The Joker
Old 12-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #169
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Screams BATMAN.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #170
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Best intro

Old 12-06-2009, 07:41 AM   #171
david icke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I got mine on Ebay. As a Bat fan, I simply have to own every episode of BTAS.
Yes, I am a bat-fan and would like to have them as much as you, but unfortunately some bat-fans are poorer than others, and some bat-fans do not have credit cards or ways of ordering online.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #172
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Using Batman 89 music in the background..........

BTW this video is on Volume 1 I think.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #173
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by david icke View Post
Yes, I am a bat-fan and would like to have them as much as you, but unfortunately some bat-fans are poorer than others, and some bat-fans do not have credit cards or ways of ordering online.
Did you actually take offence to what I said? I was not dissing anyone who has not got them.

- The Joker
Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #174
david icke
Banned User

Quote:
Did you actually take offence to what I said? I was not dissing anyone who has not got them.
Sorry, was maybe feeling a bit touchy that day. I know you're not like that.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #175
Indrid Cold
I'll see you in time.

Quote:
Volumes 1-3 are the best, IMO. Vol 4 is good, but there's some duff episodes, like Critters, and some of the redesigns are not the best. Still a solid volume overall though.
Joker redesign Mr. Freeze redesign