The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 02-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #26
dark_b
Side-Kick

Default Re: Could a Superman 'Requel' Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
You are seriously wondering? You really don't think that in the end Superman, Lois and Jason will end up together? Richard will end up dying heroically somehow. Totally predictable.
well obviously superman and lois would be together.
but i want to know HOW

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #27
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
You are seriously wondering? You really don't think that in the end Superman, Lois and Jason will end up together? Richard will end up dying heroically somehow. Totally predictable.
That would make Superman look even worse.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #28
Superfreak
Gramaton Cleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
They could pull a ''Dallas'' lol.
at the beginning of the sequel, Superman wakes up inside his ship and realizes that Jason, Richard, and ''that'' Lex from S.R. were all just a bad dream, brought on by too much exposure to Kryptonite at the remains of Krypton.
or brainiac grabbed him, cloned him, and sent a bizarro back in SR... and the real superman is still trapped on Krypton

Old 02-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #29
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
The kid and the circumstances surrounding him symbolize one of the biggest problems of what was wrong with SR. It's not just the kid, but what he represents. Daytime soap opera antics that are taken to a level that I am not interested in seeing how it is resolved. I have no problem with Superman and Lois having a kid, but not like how it was presented to us. And yes, it should have been saved for the final film.
I think we are on the same page.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #30
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Yea as many have said before the kid throws in alot of non needed problems for a sequel and other elements of SR that just didnt work out that well due to singer not getting it done better. That is one of the reasons i rather see a full on reboot so they can clean slate everything and start fresh and dont have to worry about the Reeve films stuff or SR stuff.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #31
mego joe
Side-Kick

...it always comes back to the kid doesn't it. If they waited for a 3rd film with a kid it should have been a fairly faithful adaptation of "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"

No illegitimate children and deadbeat dads, please.

mego joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #32
Nixon
Side-Kick

There weren't any deadbeat dads in the movie. At least, not if you go by any definition of deadbeat dad that actually means something.

As soon as he found out that Jason was his, Superman was there for him.

And illegitimate children? Really? Did we lose a century while I was away or something?

If it's okay with everybody else, can we just not go back to labels that only serve to stigmatize people?

Jason's not an illegitimate child. He's a child. Period.

Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #33
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

actually he is an illegitimate child, if you want to go by the technical definition of the word:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/illegitimate
Quote:
illegitimate - 7 dictionary results
Sponsored LinksEnglish Dictionary
Looking for English Dictionary? Find exactly what you want today.
Yahoo.com
Weed Killer Super Store
Selective kill for Bitterweed Safe for most grasses. Buy online
InterstateProducts.com/Weed_Killer
Data Server
Find it here. Info & Resources. Data Server
boxed-gifts.com
il⋅le⋅git⋅i⋅mate
   /adj., n. ˌɪlɪˈdʒɪtəmɪt; v. ˌɪlɪˈdʒɪtəˌmeɪt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [adj., n. il-i-jit-uh-mit; v. il-i-jit-uh-meyt] Show IPA adjective, noun, verb, -mat⋅ed, -mat⋅ing.
–adjective 1. born of parents who are not married to each other; born out of wedlock: an illegitimate child.
2. not legitimate; not sanctioned by law or custom.
3. unlawful; illegal: an illegitimate action.
4. irregular; not in good usage.
5. Logic. not in accordance with the principles of valid inference.
6. Obsolete. (formerly, in London) a. of or pertaining to stage plays in which musical numbers were inserted because of laws that gave only a few theaters the exclusive right to produce straight dramas.
b. acting in or producing such productions.

–noun 7. a person recognized or looked upon as illegitimate.

–verb (used with object) 8. to declare illegitimate.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #34
Nixon
Side-Kick

That's not the point. I've seen, first hand, the damage to self image and self esteem, that being called an "illegitimate child" can do to kids and I think it'd be nice if people could just stop doing it.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #35
I Am The Knight
World's Finest

Did this need it's own thread? This question is only asked every 10 posts.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #36
Nightwing1977
Want to see my mask??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego joe View Post

No illegitimate children and deadbeat dads, please.
I don't remeber there is a deadbeat dad in a Superman movie.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #37
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
That's not the point. I've seen, first hand, the damage to self image and self esteem, that being called an "illegitimate child" can do to kids and I think it'd be nice if people could just stop doing it.
My use of the word is not to stigmatize the child or take anything out on the child. It is about the irresponsiblity of the parents. If anything, my intent is to raise awareness so that children get what they need out of life instead of getting the short end of the stick b/c of irresponsible parents.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #38
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing1977 View Post
I don't remeber there is a deadbeat dad in a Superman movie.
That's right, you don't have a problem with Superman exhibiting irresponsible sexual behavior.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #39
Nightwing1977
Want to see my mask??

Thumbs down Re: Could a Superman 'Requel' Work?

Quote:
That's right, you don't have a problem with Superman exhibiting irresponsible sexual behavior.
Not really. I'm pointing out the lie on your so-call truth on deadbeat dad. It's a fact Superman is not a deadbeat dad. Look at the meaning of "deadbeat dad" in a dictionary, 'cause nowhere does Supes ignore his son (time & time again, Supes didn't know he has a son until the end) & will not support him. If he was a "deadbeat dad", he wouldn't even visit him at the end of SR.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #40
Cool Monty
Cool as Hell

Quote:
Hold on, doesn't Superman have to have known he had the kid and then done nothing about it before he could be called a deadbeat dad?

Cool Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #41
Nixon
Side-Kick

Quote:
My use of the word is not to stigmatize the child or take anything out on the child. It is about the irresponsiblity of the parents. If anything, my intent is to raise awareness so that children get what they need out of life instead of getting the short end of the stick b/c of irresponsible parents.
So, attatching the label of "illegitimate" to the child accomplishes any of that how?

And no, I'd like to think that you're not using the term specifically to stigmatize kids, but it has that effect regardless everytime you use it.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #42
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
So, attatching the label of "illegitimate" to the child accomplishes any of that how?

And no, I'd like to think that you're not using the term specifically to stigmatize kids, but it has that effect regardless everytime you use it.
It means "This child needs some special attention b/c his parents are irresponsible. Be sensetive to what you say so you don't inadvertantly hurt his feelings."

Of course the term isn't really used conversationally. The situation would be described differently if we were talking about someone we knew. But in a format such as this it is easier to use a single word to describe the situation in the movie.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #43
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Monty View Post
Hold on, doesn't Superman have to have known he had the kid and then done nothing about it before he could be called a deadbeat dad?
Nope. Not in my book. When you engage in a sexual relationship, you better be prepared to fulfill your responsiblities, both moral and financial. With SR, I am more concerned about the moral responsiblities that Superman abandoned when he ditched Lois w/o a goodbye and explanation b/c of the cowardly 'it was too difficult.'

Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #44
Nixon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Monty View Post
Yup, he does. You can't willfully shirk a responsibility unless you know you have that responsibility in the first place.

Mego seems to be assuming that the only way a parent can be responsibile is if they're in a so-called "traditional" family structure.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #45
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yup, he does.

Mego seems to be assuming that the only way a parent can be responsibile is if they're in a so-called "traditional" family structure.
No you have to be present in that childs life AND you have to actually let your sexual partner know when you are leaving the planet so she knows what's up. Otherwise, you're pretty much an irresponsible dirtbag. It's all about what's best for the kids.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #46
hockeyboy89
Side-Kick

Quote:
No you have to be present in that childs life AND you have to actually let your sexual partner know when you are leaving the planet so she knows what's up. Otherwise, you're pretty much an irresponsible dirtbag. It's all about what's best for the kids.
HE DIDN'T KNOW HE HAD A KID!!! If you look at the "Dead Beat Dads" displayed on the billboards I'm sure they have birth certificates, DNA, court rulings, etc to prove paternity. HE WASN'T HERE.

hockeyboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #47
Nixon
Side-Kick

Quote:

And as soon as he found out about Jason, he went to him.

Also, I find your position odd. On the one hand you're fine with Superman tampering with Lois's mind without asking her permission, in effect treating her like a child or a pet rather than an adult, but you want to call him a dirtbag because he didn't check with her before going to find Krypton. At least the latter was a mistake acknowledged and apologized for.

It just seems like an unfair double standard.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #48
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy89 View Post
HE DIDN'T KNOW HE HAD A KID!!! If you look at the "Dead Beat Dads" displayed on the billboards I'm sure they have birth certificates, DNA, court rulings, etc to prove paternity. HE WASN'T HERE.
The point is that Superman was so irresponsible he didn't even tell Lois he wasn't going to be around. There was no possible way he could have ever known b/c he was too much of a coward to be honest with Lois. Just b/c he didn't know doesn't mean he's not responsible or doesn't have a responsiblity towards Lois. It means that he's even more irresponsible. Is sexual responsiblity really that hard to understand?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #49
hockeyboy89
Side-Kick

Quote:
The point is that Superman was so irresponsible he didn't even tell Lois he wasn't going to be around. There was no possible way he could have ever known b/c he was too much of a coward to be honest with Lois. Just b/c he didn't know doesn't mean he's not responsible or doesn't have a responsiblity towards Lois. It means that he's even more irresponsible. Is sexual responsiblity really that hard to understand?
Not it's not, but following his heart and leaving not only her, but his friends and mother is one thing. He didn't get her drunk, pass on herpes, then go fly to Krypton with Miss October after she showed him her pregnancy test. That's sexual irresponsibility.

hockeyboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #50
mego joe
Side-Kick

Quote:
And as soon as he found out about Jason, he went to him.

Also, I find your position odd. On the one hand you're fine with Superman tampering with Lois's mind without asking her permission, in effect treating her like a child or a pet rather than an adult, but you want to call him a dirtbag because he didn't check with her before going to find Krypton. At least the latter was a mistake acknowledged and apologized for.

It just seems like an unfair double standard.

The intent of the ending of Superman II is that Superman aleviates her pain and allows her to go on with life without the painful knowledge that she cannot be with Superman. Despite the fact that the amnesia kiss is stupid, the above is the intent. It's not about SUperman being selfish or cowardly or doing something he knows is wrong that hurts Lois.

In SR, he knows that leaving w/o the goodbye is the wrong thing to do and does it anyway. Plus he admits it's 'too difficult.' When was the last time Superman failed to do something b/c it was 'too difficult.' The intent here is that SUperman is a screw up and immature emotionally.

In Superman II he's not making a mistake by giving her the amnesia kiss, he's helping Lois. In SR, he's being immature and sexually irresponsible by not telling Lois goodbye.