The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Old 03-30-2009, 04:46 AM   #76
Kirk 1701
Banned User

Default Re: Jackson Signs NINE Picture deal to play Fury

Hello. I'am new to this site and have been involve with Comic Books for the past twenty-five years or so. I have been coming to this site looking for information about Comic Book Movies and general interest about other movies for the past few years. I have understood all the complaints and different opinions on this site. So now, I wish to voice my opinion. I DO NOT want to see Samuel Jackson in any other Marvel or superhero movie. He has already acted or played two super heroes before Nick Fury in Iron Man. They were Mace Windu in Star Wars and the voice for the character Frozone in The Incredibles. Enough is enough!!! He has signed a nine picture deal to play Nick Fury. Which I think is the most frivolous thing he can do with his acting career. The man will be sixty- one years old this December. Even Sean Connery knew it was time to stop acting after the age of seventy-five. I think Mister Jackson should take a page out of Mister Connery's book and retire from future movies or Comic Book Movies, for that matter. He should enjoy his golden years with his family. Everyone on this board knows it takes a very long time for anything to get done in Hollywood. So, do we want Mister Jackson to play Nick Fury, ten or fifteen years from now? The man will be in his mid seventies. Mister Jackson is not Dick Clark. Don't get me wrong, Iron Man was a great film. Along the lines of Superman: The Movie and Spider-Man. I very much enjoy Iron Man except for the scenes with Nick Fury. I hated every ten seconds of it. Even though, I liked Batman: The Dark Knight a whole lot better. Iron Man has grossed 582 million worldwide and The Dark Knight has grossed 1 billion worldwide. So, The Dark Knight was a much better film! If Marvel continues on making super heroes movies with Mister Jackson, that is fine with me. Hopefully, his role will be a very small one and I 'll pretend he was not on the screen at all. I just hope he won't be in Spider-Man 4. According to Wikipedia and other websites, Iron Man is suppose to take place in the Marvel main stream universe, not in The Ulitmate Universe. Besides, I hate the Ulitmate Universe. It's just another line of comic books for kids to waste their money on. If they do come out with a Nick Fury film, I will not waste my hard earn money on it. If we learn anything from Comic Book movies. Like when Hollywood forgets about the source material about comic book characters. For example, Catwoman. The budget was 100,000,000 and only made a profit of 82,000,000. It didn't even exist in the Batman or DC universe. Which made a lot of fans quite unhappy and angry. Hollywood needs to stay as close to the source material as possible. If not, the movie will surely fail at the box office and with the fans. Remember, Hollywood is a business, and business is making money. So they need to get it right the first time. I know I'am gone to get railroaded for speaking my mind and disagreeing with people on this board about Mister Samuel Jackson, but that is why we live here in America. Well, that is my opinion. Take care.

:facepalm

Last edited by Kirk 1701; 03-31-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Kirk 1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 AM   #77
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk 1701 View Post
I know I'am gone to get railroaded [...] but that is why we live here in America.
This is one of the oddest reasons I´ve ever heard or read to live in a specific country.

Oh, btw, the internet is not only available in the U.S., the put it in computers all over the globe

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #78
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Hello. I'am new to this site and have been involve with Comic Books for the past twenty-five years or so. I have been coming to this site looking for information about Comic Book Movies and general interest about other movies for the past few years. I have understood all the complaints and different opinions on this site. So now, I wish to voice my opinion. I DO NOT want to see Samuel Jackson in any other Marvel or superhero movie. He has already acted or played two super heroes before Nick Fury in Iron Man. They were Mace Windu in Star Wars and the voice for the character Frozone in The Incredibles. Enough is enough!!! He has signed a nine picture deal to play Nick Fury. Which I think is the most frivolous thing he can do with his acting career. The man will be sixty- one years old this December. Even Sean Connery knew it was time to stop acting after the age of seventy-five. I think Mister Jackson should take a page out of Mister Connery's book and retire from future movies or Comic Book Movies, for that matter. He should enjoy his golden years with his family. Everyone on this board knows it takes a very long time for anything to get done in Hollywood. So, do we want Mister Jackson to play Nick Fury, ten or fifteen years from now? The man will be in his mid seventies. Mister Jackson is not Dick Clark. Don't get me wrong, Iron Man was a great film. Along the lines of Superman: The Movie and Spider-Man. I very much enjoy Iron Man except for the scenes with Nick Fury. I hated every ten seconds of it. Even though, I liked Batman: The Dark Knight a whole lot better. Iron Man has grossed 582 million worldwide and The Dark Knight has grossed 1 billion worldwide. So, The Dark Knight was a much better film! If Marvel continues on making super heroes movies with Mister Jackson, that is fine with me. Hopefully, his role will be a very small one and I 'll pretend he was not on the screen at all. I just hope he won't be in Spider-Man 4. According to Wikipedia and other websites, Iron Man is suppose to take place in the Marvel main stream universe, not in The Ulitmate Universe. Besides, I hate the Ulitmate Universe. It's just another line of comic books for kids to waste their money on. If they do come out with a Nick Fury film, I will not waste my hard earn money on it. If we learn anything from Comic Book movies. Like when Hollywood forgets about the source material about comic book characters. For example, Catwoman. The budget was 100,000,000 and only made a profit of 82,000,000. It didn't even exist in the Batman or DC universe. Which made a lot of fans quite unhappy and angry. Hollywood needs to stay as close to the source material as possible. If not, the movie will surely fail at the box office and with the fans. Remember, Hollywood is a business, and business is making money. So they need to get it right the first time. I know I'am gone to get railroaded for speaking my mind and disagreeing with people on this boad about Mister Samuel Jackson, but that is why we live here in America. Well, that is my opinion. Take care.

I think you have a few too many zeroes in that statement.

As for staying close to the source material, Jackson as Fury cannot get any closer. The Ultimate version of the character was based on him.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #79
Daredevil_2003
The Man Without Fear

Quote:
Hello. I'am new to this site and have been involve with Comic Books for the past twenty-five years or so. I have been coming to this site looking for information about Comic Book Movies and general interest about other movies for the past few years. I have understood all the complaints and different opinions on this site. So now, I wish to voice my opinion. I DO NOT want to see Samuel Jackson in any other Marvel or superhero movie. He has already acted or played two super heroes before Nick Fury in Iron Man. They were Mace Windu in Star Wars and the voice for the character Frozone in The Incredibles. Enough is enough!!! He has signed a nine picture deal to play Nick Fury. Which I think is the most frivolous thing he can do with his acting career. The man will be sixty- one years old this December. Even Sean Connery knew it was time to stop acting after the age of seventy-five. I think Mister Jackson should take a page out of Mister Connery's book and retire from future movies or Comic Book Movies, for that matter. He should enjoy his golden years with his family. Everyone on this board knows it takes a very long time for anything to get done in Hollywood. So, do we want Mister Jackson to play Nick Fury, ten or fifteen years from now? The man will be in his mid seventies. Mister Jackson is not Dick Clark. Don't get me wrong, Iron Man was a great film. Along the lines of Superman: The Movie and Spider-Man. I very much enjoy Iron Man except for the scenes with Nick Fury. I hated every ten seconds of it. Even though, I liked Batman: The Dark Knight a whole lot better. Iron Man has grossed 582 million worldwide and The Dark Knight has grossed 1 billion worldwide. So, The Dark Knight was a much better film! If Marvel continues on making super heroes movies with Mister Jackson, that is fine with me. Hopefully, his role will be a very small one and I 'll pretend he was not on the screen at all. I just hope he won't be in Spider-Man 4. According to Wikipedia and other websites, Iron Man is suppose to take place in the Marvel main stream universe, not in The Ulitmate Universe. Besides, I hate the Ulitmate Universe. It's just another line of comic books for kids to waste their money on. If they do come out with a Nick Fury film, I will not waste my hard earn money on it. If we learn anything from Comic Book movies. Like when Hollywood forgets about the source material about comic book characters. For example, Catwoman. The budget was 100,000,000 and only made a profit of 82,000,000. It didn't even exist in the Batman or DC universe. Which made a lot of fans quite unhappy and angry. Hollywood needs to stay as close to the source material as possible. If not, the movie will surely fail at the box office and with the fans. Remember, Hollywood is a business, and business is making money. So they need to get it right the first time. I know I'am gone to get railroaded for speaking my mind and disagreeing with people on this boad about Mister Samuel Jackson, but that is why we live here in America. Well, that is my opinion. Take care.

...What?

Old 03-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #80
powerbomb1411
Side-Kick

Is this where someone says "Wall of text"?

powerbomb1411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #81
Daredevil_2003
The Man Without Fear

I believe so, yes...

Old 03-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #82
Kirk 1701
Banned User

How can you say Mister Jackson is close to the source material of Nick Fury. If you notice in my post, the Iron Man film is based in the Marvel main stream universe. The film is not suppose to take place in the Ultimate universe. The Ulimate Universe is a parallel universe of the main stream universe. So how can you have the Ulimate Universe Nick Fury in Iron Man, when Iron Man takes places in the Marvel main stream universe? Besides, I know I'll be called a racist, but since 1963 the charcter has been white. If Jack Kirby was still alive, I think he would be disappointed and outrage with Marvel and what they have done with the chararcter of Nick Fury.

Last edited by Kirk 1701; 03-31-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #83
Kirk 1701
Banned User

In response to the statement that I have to many zeros for the budget and profits for the Catwoman fim. I got the information from the website Wikipedia. The budget was for one-hundred million. The profits from the film was a little over eighty-two million. It is considered the worst comic book movie ever made.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #84
Aztec
Side-Kick

Quote:

Spaces, returns, and paragraphs can go a long way.

Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #85
Shivsguy616
Side-Kick

Quote:
How can you say Mister Jackson is close to the source material of Nick Fury. If you notice in my post, the Iron Man film is based in the Marvel main stream universe. The film is not suppose to take place in the Ultimate universe. The Ulimate Universe is a parallel universe of the main stream universe. So how can you have the Ulimate Universe Nick Fury in Iron Man, when Iron Man takes places in the Marvel main stream universe? Besides, I know I'll be called a racist, but since 1963 the charcter has been white. If Jack Kirby was still alive, I lthink he would be disappointed and outrage with Marvel and what they have done with the chararcter of Nick Fury.

All marvel films take place in a movieverse which is parallel to the 616 universe and the ultimate universe. It is neither 616, nor ultimate.

Shivsguy616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #86
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivsguy616 View Post
all marvel films take place in a movieverse which is parallel to the 616 universe and the ultimate universe. It is neither 616, nor ultimate.
qft.

Hell, all comic movies take place in a Movieverse of some sort. I suppose Kirk also has a major problem with the 6'2" Hugh Jackman playing the 5'4" Wolverine, too.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #87
Chewy
REDACTED

If Kirk 1701 feels this strongly about a race change for a minor character I wonder how he'll react when he finds out Justin Hammer's age is being cut in half and Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo are being combined into one character

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #88
Kirk 1701
Banned User

I' am not pleased that they are combining Crimsom Dynano and Whiplash into one character. Marvel or Marvel Entertainment is just a greedy company. Iron Man had a budget of 140 million and made a profit of 582 million worldwide. So you can not justified to me that Marvel does not have the funds to pay for another actor. Back in 1998, Tom Cruise had expressed interest in producing and staring in Iron Man. Could you even imaging Marvel paying Tom Cruise 20 million or more to be in Iron Man. It would have never happen. Don't get me wrong, Robert Downey Jr. is a good actor, but he not an A-List actor like Tom Cruise or Johnny Depp. Marvel could never afford A-List actors with big budget movie deals. Marvel will try to get less known or unknown actors to be in their movies. I hate to say this, Marvel is gone to force the next crop of super-hero movies down our throats in the next few years. Then again, Marvel does not have the financial support like DC has with Warner Brothers. Ok, I said my peace.

Last edited by Kirk 1701; 03-31-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #89
Kirk 1701
Banned User

I was very impressed with Hugh Jackson portrayal as Wolverine in The X-Men movie trilogy. My only flaw with the trilogy is that everyone was in love with Wolverine. I'am petty sure Hugh Jackman had all or most of the lines in the movies. If memory serves me right, the movie title said X-MEN, not Wolverine.

Last edited by Kirk 1701; 03-31-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #90
irapogi
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivsguy616 View Post
All marvel films take place in a movieverse which is parallel to the 616 universe and the ultimate universe. It is neither 616, nor ultimate.
QFT.

jeezuz, lotsa ppl still dont get it.

irapogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #91
FaT_tONle
Banned User

I think there is a bias towards Ultimate though...

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:26 AM   #92
Kirk 1701
Banned User

Yes there is a bias towards The Ultimate Marvel Universe. Marvel created this line back in 2000. I take it that sales for the company were down and they decided to come out with this line of books. I have even considering throwing away my Ultimate Avenger DVD in the trash. Back in the day, heroes either worked alone or operated in small teams. Not in the Ultimate Universe. Ulitimate Nick Fury and SHIELD are responsible for any unauthorize genetic mutations here in the U.S. and in Europe. Powered individuals are force against their will to join Ultimate teams or be considered a threat to society. Heroes in the Ulitmate universe operate under the radar of the government. This line of books reminds me of that book and movie 1984. It potrayal a pervasive government surveillance and control, and government's increasing encroachment on the rights of the individual. So basically, if you are a hero in the Ulitmate Universe your rights as a individual don't matter. Is this the leacgy we want to leave our kids. That if you are different from other people, you have no rights whatsoever. The government or big brother will watch everthing you do in life and control your actions.

Last edited by Kirk 1701; 03-31-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 AM   #93
Kirk 1701
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivsguy616 View Post
If that is the case, where does The Iron Man film take place and what universe is it located? If you gone to use that logic, you probably would say that the Catwomen movie didn't take place in the DC Universe. She was the only villian in that universe without other heros or villians.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #94
JackIvyGB
Side-Kick

Imagine a venn diagram, like one you'd see in a class at school. One circle is the 616 universe. One circle is the Ultimate Universe. Where they overlap is a little place we like to call the "movie-verse". It's where the heroes come to life on film, pulling from the best and most cinema worthy aspects of both worlds to form a solid, coherent representation of the character/s. Sure, Iron Man's suit was 616, but his identity is public, Nick Fury is Sam Jackson, SHIELD is forming the Avengers. Those are all Ultimate influences.

Heck, look at The Incredible Hulk! The helicopter drop hulk-out was exactly from Ultimates, as was the connection between the Hulk formula and the Cap formula, but his origin and the film soundtrack were based heavily on the old TV series! It's all about what people will recognize/relate to the most, and what will come across on film best. Just because SHIELD forms the Avengers, doesn't mean they can't split off and go public like at the end of Ultimates 2 (as long as anything U3 is avoided. I think we all have a mutual dislike for that!).

The comparisons to "what universe is catwoman in?" are null and void, as you said yourself, no attempt was made to connect it to anything. Only now is DC starting to get the ball rolling, using Nolan's Batman as it's flagship so to speak. We will soon see a new Superman, Green Lantern, and apparently even Wonder Woman. Even though we don't know if they'll ever be united in a JLA or World's Finest film, at least it will be easier to call it a definitive "movie verse". There is no definitive DC ultimate universe, but you can already see how Batman Begins and TDK were influenced by Frank Miller's Batman, Neal Adams' Batman, and Jeph Loeb's Batman. It's the same deal, pulling from all viable interpretations of the character.

PS
I hope you know that anyone can go onto wikipedia and add in whatever they want to the articles, especially the ones no one really pays attention to, like say...the Catwoman movie. Just letting you know, you may want to get your facts elsewhere

JackIvyGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #95
Kirk 1701
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIvyGB View Post
Imagine a venn diagram, like one you'd see in a class at school. One circle is the 616 universe. One circle is the Ultimate Universe. Where they overlap is a little place we like to call the "movie-verse". It's where the heroes come to life on film, pulling from the best and most cinema worthy aspects of both worlds to form a solid, coherent representation of the character/s. Sure, Iron Man's suit was 616, but his identity is public, Nick Fury is Sam Jackson, SHIELD is forming the Avengers. Those are all Ultimate influences.

Heck, look at The Incredible Hulk! The helicopter drop hulk-out was exactly from Ultimates, as was the connection between the Hulk formula and the Cap formula, but his origin and the film soundtrack were based heavily on the old TV series! It's all about what people will recognize/relate to the most, and what will come across on film best. Just because SHIELD forms the Avengers, doesn't mean they can't split off and go public like at the end of Ultimates 2 (as long as anything U3 is avoided. I think we all have a mutual dislike for that!).

The comparisons to "what universe is catwoman in?" are null and void, as you said yourself, no attempt was made to connect it to anything. Only now is DC starting to get the ball rolling, using Nolan's Batman as it's flagship so to speak. We will soon see a new Superman, Green Lantern, and apparently even Wonder Woman. Even though we don't know if they'll ever be united in a JLA or World's Finest film, at least it will be easier to call it a definitive "movie verse". There is no definitive DC ultimate universe, but you can already see how Batman Begins and TDK were influenced by Frank Miller's Batman, Neal Adams' Batman, and Jeph Loeb's Batman. It's the same deal, pulling from all viable interpretations of the character.

PS
I hope you know that anyone can go onto wikipedia and add in whatever they want to the articles, especially the ones no one really pays attention to, like say...the Catwoman movie. Just letting you know, you may want to get your facts elsewhere
I agree with everything you said about the DC Universe. Even though I would like to see the Chris Nolan version of Robin. I know everyone will say that Batman needs to be on his own fighting crime, that Batman and Robin did have homesexuel interpretations in the comic books and the live action TV series, and that Robin is one big thorn in Batman's side. If they do have Robin in a Batman movie, it won't be with Nolan, I know that. If I was in control of Warner Brothers, when the contracts for future Batman Movies are being discuss, I would make sure Robin is a major player in future Batman movies. Robin has been a part of the Batman Family since 1940 and you can not just write the character off, because you can not stand the character.If Nolan or Bale don't like the idea for Robin in future Batman Movies. We can send them on their way and don't let the door hit them in the ass.

I would have to disagree with you on the Marvel Universe and the Marvel Ulitmate Universe. You can not expect people who have been collecting Marvel Comics for the past thirty or forty years that there is some sort of movie-verse that exist somewhere in the Marvel Universe. It is total nonsense. Untill Marvel goes on the record and states that this mysterious and ridiculous universe exists. I'am not buying it. If my kid came home with a comic dealing with the Ulitmate Universe. It would go in the trash.
Seriously!!!

You need to read my post on how I feel about the Ulitmate Universe!!!

Where can I get more facts, honest facts. No BS.

Last edited by Kirk 1701; 04-01-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:37 AM   #96
Daredevil_2003
The Man Without Fear

Again...what?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #97
The Showstopper
Empathic Mimic

Quote:

I would have to disagree with you on the Marvel Universe and the Marvel Ulitmate Universe. You can not expect people who have been collecting Marvel Comics for the past thirty or forty years that there is some sort of movie-verse that exist somewhere in the Marvel Universe. It is total nonsense. Untill Marvel goes on the record and states that this mysterious and ridiculous universe exists. I'am not buying it. If my kid came home with a comic dealing with the Ulitmate Universe. It would go in the trash.
Seriously!!!

Dude, how can you deny the marvel movieverse does not exist. No movie made has have EVERY detail from the comics, things have been changed or removed. So how can you say this is the main 616 verse? I understand you getting upset about some changes, hell i dont like every change that has been done but i understand the movie can not be the comics and is an entire entity unto itself, in its own universe.

If you truly think that there is no movieverse, then no movie must have reached your expectations becasue no movie can be exact to the comic source material.

Last edited by The Showstopper; 04-01-2009 at 11:53 AM.
The Showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #98
Shivsguy616
Side-Kick

Quote:
If that is the case, where does The Iron Man film take place and what universe is it located? If you gone to use that logic, you probably would say that the Catwomen movie didn't take place in the DC Universe. She was the only villian in that universe without other heros or villians.

I neither know nor care about DC so I can only answer for marvel. The Iron Man film takes place in the Marvel Movieverse.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #99
Shivsguy616
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree with everything you said about the DC Universe. Even though I would like to see the Chris Nolan version of Robin. I know everyone will say that Batman needs to be on his own fighting crime, that Batman and Robin did have homesexuel interpretations in the comic books and the live action TV series, and that Robin is one big thorn in Batman's side. If they do have Robin in a Batman movie, it won't be with Nolan, I know that. If I was in control of Warner Brothers, when the contracts for future Batman Movies are being discuss, I would make sure Robin is a major player in future Batman movies. Robin has been a part of the Batman Family since 1940 and you can not just write the character off, because you can not stand the character.If Nolan or Bale don't like the idea for Robin in future Batman Movies. We can send them on their way and don't let the door hit them in the ass.

Seriously!!!

In that case, name one single Marvel film set in the 616 universe. If you can not do that for me then you are wrong. I'll give you a heads up... you are wrong.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #100
Kirk 1701
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Showstopper View Post
Dude, how can you deny the marvel movieverse does not exist. No movie made has have EVERY detail from the comics, things have been changed or removed. So how can you say this is the main 616 verse? I understand you getting upset about some changes, hell i dont like every change that has been done but i understand the movie can not be the comics and is an entire entity unto itself, in its own universe.

If you truly think that there is no movieverse, then no movie must have reached your expectations becasue no movie can be exact to the comic source material.
I understand your point of view. I dislike anything about the Ulimate Unverse. I do not want to see anything in any Marvel movies that deals with the Ultimate Universe. The Spider-Man movies, Ghost Rider movie, the Daredevil movie, and Fantastic Four movies do not take place in The Ultimate Universe. So why must we have the Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk movies located somewhere in between Universe 616 and the Ulitmate Universe? I think it is a conspiracy by Marvel and Marvel Entertainment to get more minority kids to buy more comc books and to go to the movies. That' why we have Sam Jackson as Nick Fury in the comics and in the films. The reason there is a black Nick Fury at all is because 95% of comic book heros in the DC and Marvel are white. The oppisite thing can be said about the NFL. 75% of the players in the NFL are black and 25% are white. Business is business, and they will do anything possible to get people in the movies or at the big game. Remeber companies are very greedy and they all need to be shut down! All of them!!! Time to go back to the Stone Age!