The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers World

Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #26
Noona
Side-Kick

Default Re: The offical Avengers comics thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
I'm not big on U.S. Agent either but he has his place. While Capt. America is the man who defends the Americal ideal rather than a specific government, U.S. Agent is the guy who defends the government, no matter what or who, akin to a soldier. There are plenty of men like that and they get the job done. He isn't someone I would go out of my way to read about, but he usually provides good tension on a team.

Walker is a bit of a jingoist arrogant jerk, but again that also is something that can play well in a team book where he has someone to bounce off of. Such as in MIGHTY AVENGERS, he's exchanging arrogant barbs with Quicksilver and it is quite interesting.
I really do like the way Slott wrote the whole Quicksilver and U.S. Agent arguments in Mighty Avengers while their in China . Keeps me entertained
Can't wait for #29

Noona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #27
Noona
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
I'm not big on U.S. Agent either but he has his place. While Capt. America is the man who defends the Americal ideal rather than a specific government, U.S. Agent is the guy who defends the government, no matter what or who, akin to a soldier. There are plenty of men like that and they get the job done. He isn't someone I would go out of my way to read about, but he usually provides good tension on a team.

Walker is a bit of a jingoist arrogant jerk, but again that also is something that can play well in a team book where he has someone to bounce off of. Such as in MIGHTY AVENGERS, he's exchanging arrogant barbs with Quicksilver and it is quite interesting.
I really do like the way Slott wrote the whole Quicksilver and U.S. Agent arguments in Mighty Avengers while their in China . Keeps me entertained
Can't wait for #29

Old 09-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #28
Havok83
Side-Kick

The only Avengers book Ive been reading has been Dark Avengers which is odd bc it was the one I was least interested when it was announced during Secret Invasion

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #29
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Mike Deodado or whatever his name is is what makes that book great. He's probably my favorite artist in the industry.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #30
Havok83
Side-Kick

He's alright, but his art doesnt do anything for me. Im not saying he's bad or anything but I think the art is better on the other Avengers book. His style does seem to be suited for here though and I hope he returns bc I havent been liking Ross who's doing the Utopia arc

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #31
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Yeah, me neither... at least, not as much.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 09-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #32
Noona
Side-Kick

I been reading Mighty Avengers !! it's getting real good

Old 09-26-2009, 11:48 PM   #33
Amashelle
Side-Kick

I've only read a few of the New Avengers issues, but having learned that the original team included Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, I'm looking to read some of the older series... only I don't know where to start, lol.

Since I fail at comic research (I'm sure the answer to this question is burried somewhere) I thought I'd ask the people here. Is there a specific serise title I should be looking for? Keeping in mind that my main interest is to read more about Pietro and his sister?

Amashelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #34
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

For current stuff read Mighty Avengers post-Secret Invasion (issue 23 I think? somewhere around there). Beyond that I don't know. Someone a bit more read in the older Avengers stuff might be a good bet for you.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 09-29-2009, 02:06 AM   #35
sleepwalk
Side-Kick

I've always seen U.S. Agent as having great potential. They've tried over and over again to make him relevant and liked. They have constantly failed. Where as this may seem like a sign of a lost cause, the same could be said of She-Hulk, Blade and Moon Knight for years.

The problem may be the fact that he is often written as a Guy Gardner knock-off in terms of personality (or lack thereof.) Like Gardner, he is the "made in Hong Kong version" of an well-loved exemplar. He is also the meaner, darker and (perhaps) scrappier version as well.

Agent's dialogue reflects the "rebel against political correctness, contract with America" attitude from the 90's that turned into the travesty that was/is "neo-con." As mentioned before, he's a soldier first and a hero second. Nothing about the character made me happier than seeing him in the "Maximum Security" storyline (tailored to get him over.) He beat on aliens, drove off the Kree, insisted that supes had to be accountable for their direct and indirect actions. At the end, a supporting character from his team bad mouths the heroes. Agent yokes him up, defends the heroes and nearly cries because (no matter how much he wishes otherwise) he's not a superhero. He's a metahuman grunt.

I had written a fan-fic where Agent was just wallowing on the family farm and Nick Fury took pity on him and gave him a new assignment, to keep an eye on the supes in Manhattan and catch bad guys. No costume. Just a black suit. He would have developed an grudging relationship with Luke Cage. Cage is a licensed security professional and therefore had liability insurance and the like. Agent would respect that. I was actually adapting it to a script for the "Epic" reprisal/contests when I slacked a bit and

Old 10-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #36
shogunrua
Side-Kick

ok I didn't know where to post this, so I guess here could be a right place (since there is three Avengers in it lol). I wanted to draw the Mandarin with Iron Man, I didn't have room for it and my only attempt was really awful lol (Oh and I konw I didn't draw Sabertooth legs, I was too lazy to do it lol) Hope I won't get bashed for posting this lol

Old 11-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #37
Spidermanfan
Banned User

that's actually pretty good!!

Spidermanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #38
Anubis
Sup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amashelle View Post
I've only read a few of the New Avengers issues, but having learned that the original team included Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, I'm looking to read some of the older series... only I don't know where to start, lol.

Since I fail at comic research (I'm sure the answer to this question is burried somewhere) I thought I'd ask the people here. Is there a specific serise title I should be looking for? Keeping in mind that my main interest is to read more about Pietro and his sister?

Well, you could just read the Essentials, but that's if you don't mind reading stuff from waaay back. It's an acquired taste really. For a more modern take, I'd start at Kurt Busiek/ George Perez run. The entire run is collected in like, five big hard covers, called Avengers Assemble. To accompany that, you should read, probably the greatest Avengers story of all time, Avengers Forever. Written by Kurt Busiek, art bay Carlos Pacheco.

Another good series to read that gives you a behind the scenes look at the early days of the Avengers, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, by Joe Casey and Scott Kollins. Great read. there's a part two, also good. Covers the team after the Cap lead, Fab Four, and Hank Pym's Decent into madness.

Then, if you're interested, you could try out two of the most respected Avengers stories, the Kree/Skrull War, which, as you could guess, covers the avengers involvement in the Kree/Skrull War. And Under Siege, where Barron Zemo leads the Masters of Evil through probably their best story, taking Avengers Mansion.

H.E.
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #39
Spidermanfan
Banned User

i've started to collect new avengers and ultimate comics avengers

Old 12-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #40
bored
One Sexy Lemur

Seriously, if you want to know what a good Avengers story is like, go into the late 90s Busiek/Perez run. It may not have Spidey and Wolverine (apparently that's important for some people), but the stories are epic, well-written, and generally a blast to read.

G D
H S
T
Y
bored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #41
Spidermanfan
Banned User

Thanks! I'll try to pick those up.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #42
Madelow
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Quicksilver joining the team is a part of what's made me warm up to Slott's Mighty Avengers book (the other being focus on the Young Avengers). I've loved Quicksilver since his stint in X-Factor back in the 90's. Wanda, I've just never cared about.
Hello All: I've loved both Quicksilver & Wanda since the 1960s. In my heart, the Cap, Hawkeye, Wanda, Quicksilver quartet is still the best Avengers team of all! Best regards, Madelow.

Madelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #43
Spider-Man '92
Amazing

Anyone else following the Bendis/Romita Avengers? Personally, I'm loving it, but then again I'm a sucker for JRJR's work.

"Even though you've been raised as a human being you are not one of them."
Spider-Man '92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #44
bored
One Sexy Lemur

It's been alright, but I feel like the story itself isn't going anywhere. Some new threat from another timeline shows up, they fight for a few pages, there is terrible dialogue. I had higher hopes after the first issue, but I fear that it's just going to be another bad, uber-decompressed Bendis title.

G D
H S
T
Y
Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #45
Spider-Man '92
Amazing

Personally don't know how to take the plot. I'm hoping it all fits well when it's said and done. I'd personally like to see how they'd do with a one issue story. Sometimes arcs can stretch things too far.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #46
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

How come the Hulk was never really put back on the Avengers???
Even as a kid I wondered.Especially when he joined the Defenders.
I was like hold up he can't be in the Avengers but he can be in the Avengers.Why?????
Anyone?
Even when he had Banner's mind or was the Professor Hulk he wasn't put back on the team!
Why???
I always wondered why Marvel has always chosen this route.
At first I kind of understood about him being a loose canon but then to see him on the Defenders,Alternate Fantastic Four,Parthenon etc.etc.

Anyone????

Old 08-25-2010, 01:13 AM   #47
Spider-Man '92
Amazing

Perhaps it's the mere fact that the Hulk was the first real threat the Avengers ever had to overcome? I think like you said, the loose canon aspect is probably a big reason. In the end the Hulk doesn't really seem like a team player to me. Again, the fact that he was the kind of threat that multiple heros needed to join forces to stop means he's a force of his own.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #48
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Man '92 View Post
Perhaps it's the mere fact that the Hulk was the first real threat the Avengers ever had to overcome? I think like you said, the loose canon aspect is probably a big reason. In the end the Hulk doesn't really seem like a team player to me. Again, the fact that he was the kind of threat that multiple heros needed to join forces to stop means he's a force of his own.
But then why put him in the Defenders???
If Marvel didn't want him on a team at all because he was a loose canon then why put him in the Avengers.
I mean they have it in a way that Doc Strange can help control him but they could have easily found a way to do the same for the Avengers.
So it is some ind of personel issue on their part.Maybe he couldn't go around whooping up on big names like Iron man and Thor if he was on the same team.So they put him with a b list team.
However it would have made for a more iterseting storyline and it would have made sense if they would have kept him on the team so they can watch him and moniter as really being the only team that can slow him down.Thor,Iron man,etc.
It would have been the resposible thing to do.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #49
bored
One Sexy Lemur

The Defenders made more sense because the Defenders were a team of misfits. That they were so unstable was part of the point. At that point in Avengers history, they were supposed to be able to work smoothly together, and respect each other. Hulk wouldn't bring that. Now, I wouldn't mind seeing Hulk back on an Avengers team myself, and I like how pivotal he's being made to the big mainstream push the team's been getting, but the old reasoning for him being a Defender, not an Avenger, did make sense.

G D
H S
T
Y
Old 08-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #50
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored View Post
The Defenders made more sense because the Defenders were a team of misfits. That they were so unstable was part of the point. At that point in Avengers history, they were supposed to be able to work smoothly together, and respect each other. Hulk wouldn't bring that. Now, I wouldn't mind seeing Hulk back on an Avengers team myself, and I like how pivotal he's being made to the big mainstream push the team's been getting, but the old reasoning for him being a Defender, not an Avenger, did make sense.
But what about when the Hulk was smart ala Professer Hulk.
I don't know its weird.