The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #101
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Default Re: Scarlett Johansson is the Black Widow

Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow is a Black Widow that I can live with.

I'm pretty much on the fence here; I'm not gonna go overboard (like some) and immediately assume that she'll be terrible, nor am I gonna assume she'll be amazing.

I'm just gonna see how it goes due to the faith I have in Fav's.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #102
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Not that big a fan of Scarlett in the looks department to be honest, think her looks are VERY over-rated, but I have never considered her a bad acctress, but she has never blown me away either, so like BB above me, I'm on the fence.

Havent seen enough of Blunt to properly judge either to be honest.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 03-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #103
batman44
Go Speed GO

I'm cool with Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #104
Chewy
REDACTED

Hollywood Reporter confirms she has signed on
Quote:
The superheroes will take just a little longer to arrive on the scene. Marvel Entertainment said Thursday morning that it was pushing back by a year a pair of key properties in its comic book franchises "Thor" and "Avengers."

"Thor" will now release on June 17, 2011 (it had previously been scheduled for July 16, 2010), while "Avengers" will hit theaters May 4, 2012 (it had been slotted for July 15, 2011).

Execs did not offer a reason for the deferrals; Marvel Studios chairman David Maisel said only that the move "maximizes the visibility of our single character-focused films, leading to the highly anticipated release of the multicharacter 'The Avengers' film in 2012."

It's likely, however, that the studio wanted to ensure at least one tentpole in as many years as possible. Under the previous schedule, it had nothing slated for 2012. Also, as Maisel suggested, the move gives maximum runway for the characters leading up to "Avengers," which will wrap in roles for many of its top-tier characters.

Had it let the previous dates stand, it would have seen the bunching of two properties (Iron Man and Thor) in 2010 and then three (Captain America, Spider-Man and the multicharacter Avengers) in 2011. Under the new schedule, it will space out the characters more: just one (Iron Man) in 2010, Spider-Man, Thor and Captain America in 2011, and Avengers in 2012.

The studio also announced that it was pushing the release of the Captain America pic, titled "The First Avenger: Captain America," back several months, from May 6, 2011, to July 22, 2011.

That move was not unexpected given that Sony, which is releasing "Spider-Man 4" via its licensing deal with Marvel, is bringing out its pic in May of that year. Marvel clarified on Thursday that that pic will come out on May 6, 2011. It had previously given the month of May but no exact date.

Marvel is pursuing a strategy similar to that of its classic comic books, in which characters frequently cross over between properties. Samuel Jackson recently signed a nine-picture deal to play superhero Nick Fury, who will appear in many of its upcoming pics.

The studio's current priority is "Iron Man 2." Casting is coming together for the project, with Mickey Rourke and Scarlett Johansson recently signing on for the project, which will shoot this year.
SOURCE

Old 03-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #105
GregComicFan
movie and comic buff

I don't follow Iron Man comics very closely...

Is Black Widow a potential love interest for Tony Stark? Just wondering because Scarlett has a "youthful" look, in my opinion, and looks way too young for Robert Downey Jr. to be bedding... but thats just me.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #106
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Black Widow has been with Tony....along with many other Marvel heroes.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #107
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregComicFan View Post
I don't follow Iron Man comics very closely...

Is Black Widow a potential love interest for Tony Stark? Just wondering because Scarlett has a "youthful" look, in my opinion, and looks way too young for Robert Downey Jr. to be bedding... but thats just me.
Blunt is one year older than Scarlett. That's another thing I don't get. Don't fault baby girl for aging gracefully.

Last edited by terry78; 03-12-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #108
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Because that's all that matters.
It is to me. Seriously, who gives a crap about the Black Widow?

Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #109
batboy99
BTVS

Well, many know Im a huge Scarlett fan, but I cant say im thrilled.

There could have been worse, but there could hve been so much better.

Scarlett is a very good actress when she wants to be, so hopefully, she will want to be good in this movie. I have thought about the choice a little since the rumours and I can say I can see her in the role al ittle more, but Blunt would have been my choice out of the two. I trust Favareu though. I mean, I didnt think Paltrow was the best choice for Pepper, but look how that turned out. She was great. I feel the same will happen with Scarlett.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!

Last edited by batboy99; 03-12-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #110
Cmill216
Senior Case Officer
SHH! Administrator

This is one of those casting choices where it could have been FAR FAR worse, but it also could've been significantly more inspired.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #111
batboy99
BTVS

Exactly. But I diagree with people saying this is like Alba as Sue.
1. Scarlett can actually act. She can do more roles than just a hot chick
2. Scalrett can look somewhat like the character

And heres a new pic of Scarlett with redish hair
http://www.scarlett-photos.com/album...uty_MQ_001.jpg

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #112
LegendaryCaleb
Ozymandias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekhyron View Post
because that's more important than acting skills. facepalm overload, man
it isnt more important...just stating i like her curves

Old 03-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #113
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Scarlett teaming up with Samuel L. Jackson is going to remind me way too much of The Spirit.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #114
Radio_Clash
Side-Kick

She's not the worst actress in the world, I don't mind her, anyway, how major will her role be in Iron Man, because if it's like a minor supporting role to introduce the character then we shouldn't worry too much, anyway, Iron Man is the real sell.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #115
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmill216 View Post
This is one of those casting choices where it could have been FAR FAR worse, but it also could've been significantly more inspired.
Really. I mean she was passed over in favor of a no-namer like Blunt. Meaning Emily showed something Scarjo didn't, imo. So going back to her feels like a time crunch issue more than anything else.

This isn't a Heath Ledger situation. That was a once-in-a-lifetime twist on an iconic character. I just don't really get threatening Russian spy from Scarjo. She's more of a by the numbers femme fetale. She distracts with her right boob while killing you with the left one.

Last edited by TheComicbookKid; 03-12-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #116
DocHoliday
The King of Cool

Again not saying she'll be bad or great... I just think that some of their concerns (the fanboys) are not invalid. Saying she's a horrible actress is going overboard but she has has given some pretty mediocre performances (Black Dahlia, The Spirit, The Nanny Diaries and yes Eight Legged Freaks). That's not to say she hasn't given good performances too (Match Point, The Horse Whisperer, Vicky Christina Barcelona). She's all over the board.

I think a lot of it is also the fact that fanboys do not like to see polarizing figure portraying their beloved characters. Tom Cruise would have likely given a good performance as Stark as would have Dicaprio as Spider-man. Emily Blunt is not one of those people whose name recognition is bigger than the character itself, Scarlett Jo you can make that argument for. Also Scarlett Jo was clearly not the filmmaker's first choice. Just think of the uproar of them picking their second choice for Rourke's character.

But as long as the role is well written and she is well directed, she should do fine. But to the person that said she should not dye her hair red, that I disagree with you on mate. It's kind of like The Joker having green hair or a purple suit. With Black Widow it is leather and red hair.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #117
hatebox
Side-Kick

Anticipation of this film just went down a couple notches. Was she really the best ACTRESS they could get?

Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #118
Crook
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
Really. I mean she was passed over in favor of a no-namer like Blunt. Meaning Emily showed something Scarjo didn't, imo. So going back to her feels like a time crunch issue more than anything else.
All it means is at the very best, Scarlett was the #2 choice. That's really not bad at all. It's not like they lost their top pick so now they're going to the bottom of the barrel.

Quote:
This isn't a Heath Ledger situation. That was a once-in-a-lifetime twist on an iconic character. I just don't really get threatening Russian spy from Scarjo. She's more of a by the numbers femme fetale. She distracts with her right boob while killing you with the left one.
Eh, I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt here. I didn't see a cold-blooded killer from either Ledger or Haley, at first, yet they were one of the most convincing I've ever seen. Scarlett's very capable when given the material, let's see her try it out before condemning.

And I'm not well versed with Black Widow, but it seems that like most female comic book characters...she's a looker. The only question is if she can pull off the attitude. Scarlett certainly fulfills the looks, imo.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #119
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebox View Post
Anticipation of this film just went down a couple notches. Was she really the best ACTRESS they could get?
I agree was Helen Mirren, Judi Dench or Meryl Streep not available?

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Old 03-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #120
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

ah... make sure that natalia has some slinky outfits..

Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #121
tamron
Side-Kick

Scarlett is not who I would have thought of for Black Widow, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Favreau got a good performance out of Gwy Paltrow in IM, and I've never been too fond of her. I've loved some of Scarlett's performances. Maybe Fav's approach will get the same results with Scarlett.

Last edited by tamron; 03-12-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #122
Raivynn
Side-Kick

I'm not really overly enthused with ScarJo's casting. But I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. She may surprise.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #123
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

I'll wait and see before I pass judgement. I think what we've learned is neer judge an actor for a comic book film, a good actor anyway.

But what I can't wait to see is her in that black leather suit.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #124
Lobo
skip skip skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Ron View Post
It is to me. Seriously, who gives a crap about the Black Widow?
Me, for one, and I'm sure plenty others.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #125
The Major
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I swear, you fools act like they brought Kim Kardashian on to play BW or something. Drama queens.
And you're acting like Johanssen is the best actress in Hollywood for the role. She isn't. Hopefully this isn't stunt casting, but it looks very much like it.

Closed Thread