The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor Sequels

Old 12-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Default With the Disney-Fox merger is Thor 4 doomed?

Waititi revitalized Thor in a major way but I left the film wanting more. I didn't feel like this was a conclusive end to Thor's arc but rather a pathway somewhere else. So many things were not resolved for me that were established in the earlier films. Thor's relationship with Jane, Sif and the Warriors Three all deserve better resolution.

Beyond this there are so many amazing characters in the Thor mythos that are yet to be seen: Beta Ray Bill, Amora, Mangog, Karnilla, the High Evolutionary and the other pantheons - Olympia, the Eternals, Set et al. Surely this can't be the last Thor!

Meanwhile Waititi has floated the idea that he would happily return to direct what he's playfully called Ragnarok 2. With the financial success of Ragnarok (and the fact that every Thor film has grossed more than the last) it seemed like a reasonable possibility.

But now that the X-Men and FF are back (as happy as I am with that news) does that mean characters like Thor get put on the backburner?

Thoughts?

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
NotNickFury
Side-Kick

Default Re: With the Disney-Fox merger is Thor 4 doomed?

Thought is it's a bit too soon to jump the gun on what characters get sidelined if this deal is finalized and approved. Given that the deal itself will take over a year to review, if the government even gives it the go-ahead, I'd say best guess is wait and see what, if at all, potential slate might be shown at next year's Comic Con.

And given what we already know is coming, rebooting two groups into an established universe probably won't be as simple as some believe or want it to be, so I don't see Thor getting pushed back the same way Black Panther was to make room for Homecoming.

But I could easily be wrong.

NotNickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Blackman
C'mon Son

Thor Ragnarok made 819 mill and counting...Thor will be fine

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:41 AM   #4
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Eh... I think that Hemmsworth is going to be able to leverage the success of TR quite well. And if he's the only one of the original Avengers team left standing post A4 then that just increases the chances of his franchise continuing.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/To Be Continued: A Fanboy Podcast, New Episode: NETFLIX'S ALTERED CARBON Spoiler Review Discussion
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:41 AM   #5
Iceman
Infinity War!

In time Marvel will go to 4 films a year I think. With Fox films no longer on the CBM schedule and WB looking sparse there will be room for that and if they keep bringing in the kind of money they are at the moment it will be worth the investment and risk.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
Waititi revitalized Thor in a major way but I left the film wanting more. I didn't feel like this was a conclusive end to Thor's arc but rather a pathway somewhere else. So many things were not resolved for me that were established in the earlier films. Thor's relationship with Jane, Sif and the Warriors Three all deserve better resolution.

Beyond this there are so many amazing characters in the Thor mythos that are yet to be seen: Beta Ray Bill, Amora, Mangog, Karnilla, the High Evolutionary and the other pantheons - Olympia, the Eternals, Set et al. Surely this can't be the last Thor!

Meanwhile Waititi has floated the idea that he would happily return to direct what he's playfully called Ragnarok 2. With the financial success of Ragnarok (and the fact that every Thor film has grossed more than the last) it seemed like a reasonable possibility.

But now that the X-Men and FF are back (as happy as I am with that news) does that mean characters like Thor get put on the backburner?

Thoughts?
IM3 came out 4.5 years ago and made $1.2bn WW. There's been no sign of an IM4.

IF a Thor4 was being considered, it wouldn't have happened for 4 or 5 years anyway, so I don't think X-Men/F4 coming back has had much effect.

Swallow flies south before the fall, before the winter can call...
Can call in each borrower - for what was given

--Serenity in Motion--

Last edited by Moridin; 12-17-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #7
Wildcard
Cataclysmic Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Eh... I think that Hemmsworth is going to be able to leverage the success of TR quite well. And if he's the only one of the original Avengers team left standing post A4 then that just increases the chances of his franchise continuing.
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Considering the reception to TR, I don't think Thor is in any real danger & I actually have always believed Hemsworth is likely to be the only one (or one of the only ones) left standing after we get past the Infinity Gauntlet saga.

Wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:32 AM   #8
Zant
Side-Kick

Iron man 4 and Cap 4 are certainly dead. Have been for a while now. Thor has a 50-50 chance for a part 4.

Zant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #9
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

I think the difference between Hemsworth and Downey and Evans is that I believe Hemsworth would actually like to continue to play Thor - provided the circumstances were right. He's expressed as much in the past. He obviously felt he was stagnating in the role and his campaigning Feige to allow him to do more with the character in Ragnarok shows how much he cares about it.

Whereas Evans has been keen to to focus on directing more than acting and Downey has been here since the beginning so he's probably just tired of it. (Although Downey makes so much money on these films I can't imagine why he'd want to bow out. As long as he doesn't phone it in - it seems like a real easy paycheck for a fun harmless gig. It's not like his career has really exploded outside of Marvel.)

The unquestioned financial success of Thor's latest outing combined with Hemsworth's willingness and Taika's interest in continuing what he started with "Ragnarok 2" makes me have real hope that we will see more adventures. The franchise feels fresher than ever. So I'm hopeful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNickFury View Post
Thought is it's a bit too soon to jump the gun on what characters get sidelined if this deal is finalized and approved. Given that the deal itself will take over a year to review, if the government even gives it the go-ahead, I'd say best guess is wait and see what, if at all, potential slate might be shown at next year's Comic Con.

And given what we already know is coming, rebooting two groups into an established universe probably won't be as simple as some believe or want it to be, so I don't see Thor getting pushed back the same way Black Panther was to make room for Homecoming.

But I could easily be wrong.
You know this is actually a great point. As badly as I want to see Marvel take a stab at the Fantastic Four, they already have an uphill climb there thanks to the way the brand has been so badly handled for decades - and there will be a lot of pressure to finally do it right. They can't rush that.

Meanwhile it sounds like Dark Phoenix is going to push forward while the merger happens. I have zero faith in Kinberg so I'm expecting that film to flop. After the terrible Apocalypse that will be two bad X-men films in a row. That will also make it a challenge for Marvel to launch their own version of the X-Men.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #10
psylockolussus
Fierce User

Disney didn't bother to release an Iron Man 4. And like someone already said that Thor 4 and Captain America 4 are dead, though I don't think they were even a possibility in the first place.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #11
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Disney didn't bother to release an Iron Man 4. And like someone already said that Thor 4 and Captain America 4 are dead, though I don't think they were even a possibility in the first place.
I don't think anyone said Thor 4 was dead?

Based on everything established thus far, I'd say it's very much on the table. (Unless Marvel has decided they don't like money.) But how soon is the question?

Old 12-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #12
ludovica
Daddy Feige notice me!

I think a Sam Wilson or Bucky Barnes Cap movie is probable.

Black Widow, Wasp, Wanda, Valkyrie, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau & Black Panther for Avengers 5!

DCEU is dead, long live DCFU
DCFU optimist: Shazam!

WAKANDA FOREVAAA!!!
ludovica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

There was never a guarantee of a fourth Thor film happening anytime soon.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:04 PM   #14
BigSams50
Knight of Ren

While i love THor, i think after 3 movies and 4 Avengers movies, he might be done. Now me personally? I would love a Thor 4. Ragnarok is one of my favorite MCU films

Old 12-28-2017, 01:08 AM   #15
Power Cosmic
Stardust

I don't think so. If there's a good story to tell and Chris wants to do it, I don't see how this deal could get un the way.

Power Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #16
Relugus
Side-Kick

Well, there was that bit where Odin said about "being close to your mother", while they were on Earth, which made me think of Gaea, who could replace Odin's role as parental figure to Thor, though alot of that could depend on whether Wanda and Strange, whose connections to Gaea's siblings would need to also be established.

Then there's Beta Ray Bill, who could be the bromance sidekick buddy to Thor.

Valkyrie, Korg, and Miek could be Thor's team.

Relugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:50 AM   #17
Kev4000
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zant View Post
Iron man 4 and Cap 4 are certainly dead. Have been for a while now. Thor has a 50-50 chance for a part 4.
Cap 4 could happen in 2019/2020. That would be the typical 3/4-year distance.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:57 AM   #18
psylockolussus
Fierce User

The slots for MCU 2019 are already taken.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:08 AM   #19
Primal Slayer
Let the Siren scream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
IM3 came out 4.5 years ago and made $1.2bn WW. There's been no sign of an IM4.

IF a Thor4 was being considered, it wouldn't have happened for 4 or 5 years anyway, so I don't think X-Men/F4 coming back has had much effect.
IM4 had the slight problem in the actor not wanting to do solos anymore I believe? That and his pay getting super high and contracts.

Hemsworth is still a lot cheaper then RDJr so I imagine that would help things.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:50 AM   #20
Doug_Moore
Side-Kick

Thor 4 will be fine. He still has villains to fight like Ulik.

Doug_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:05 PM   #21
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Eh, Cap and Iron man didnt get a 4th, Thor? Unlikely

New MCU battles will be held each week in the Marvel Films forum!

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009
jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #22
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

yah bro, welcome X-men and F4

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:40 PM   #23
Kuwolski
Grunt Satirist

I'm not expecting another Thor movie at this point. I'd be pleasantly surprised, I loved Ragnarok and hope for more. I'm just not convinced it'll happen with the likely introduction of the X-Men and FF.

Kuwolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #24
random_havoc
The Golden Guardian

I'd like if he's put out of his misery. The only good movies where Thor was actually like Thor of the comics was in the Avengers ones anyway. I'm apparently in the minority but get that comedy-Thor crap outta here. Not to mention a movie where the big line is that he's the god of thunder should've maybe skipped him getting electrocuted over and over. Some basic in-world logic missing there

Old 03-23-2018, 06:42 AM   #25
BigThor
God of Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
I'd like if he's put out of his misery. The only good movies where Thor was actually like Thor of the comics was in the Avengers ones anyway. I'm apparently in the minority but get that comedy-Thor crap outta here. Not to mention a movie where the big line is that he's the god of thunder should've maybe skipped him getting electrocuted over and over. Some basic in-world logic missing there
He was being depowered by a device used by an Elder of The Universe, I doubt it was using something as simple as electricity. Taiki Watiti said those obedience disks renders characters powerless and electricity doesn't depower Thor.

Also, you say Thor only acts like comicbook Thor in The Avengers films but he had that same exact characterization in Thor and Thor 2.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=541183

New MCU battles will be held each week in the Marvel Films forum!

Join our discussion on the MCU's Power Tier - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535009
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote