The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #51
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!
 
Kirk Langstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,162
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsM View Post
There were hot chicks and explosions in LOTR???
I have no idea what the **** you're even asking me.

Kirk Langstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #52
Kent
The Lord of Thwipp
 
Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 14,099
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStacy View Post
I have no idea what the **** you're even asking me.
I think he's pointing out the fact that TheVileOne seemed content with the LOTR-flicks even though they were not jammed full with "hot chicks and explosions", thus showing why your assumption that TVO didn't like King Kong due to the absence of said "hot chicks and explosions" seems to be wrong.

__________________
Juice. Juice Juice. Juice. Gotta have a little bit of orange juice.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #53
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,815
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

It was a ridiculous thing for CaptainStacy to say.

For one thing, LOTR only had one explosion as I recall in Two Towers. I don't remember any other explosions.

And the only really hot chick was Liv Tyler. Besides that the movies were a total sausagefest. So not so well played Cap'n.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #54
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!
 
Kirk Langstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 20,162
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

:facepalm

Kirk Langstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #55
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,815
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

Sorry, don't give me the explosions hot chick ******** with King Kong. I don't think King Kong was terrible. I liked it, I just think it should've remained a movie Jackson was just really passionate about.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #56
mclay18
Sexed-up archery
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,200
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlantern248 View Post
I have to comment on the Jackson, Cameron, and Speilberg issue with them being always brought up with superhero films.
Those three are great directors, and really who wouldn't want to see a Peter Jackson's Thor, or Speilberg directing Captain America.
And their asking price is expensive: for Jackson and Spielberg, they get a huge asking fee and then get 30% of the final profits regardless how well the movie does or fail. That was the main problem of them getting Tin Tin in production, because neither of them refused to lower their upfront cost or renegotiate their backend percentage. (I'm positive Cameron has a similar deal on Avatar.) I'm sure Marvel would love to have someone like Spielberg on board directing one of their tentpole franchises, but the pay (among other things) is out of their range.

With new directors like Favreau and Nolan -- their asking price is practically a bargain compared to the Beard's pay, at least when they first start out on movies like these. (Although I'm sure their asking fee shot up significantly with the success of Iron Man and The Dark Knight respectively.)

__________________
Think McFly Think


"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #57
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,815
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

Well probably not Nolan at this point. But I imagine that's one reason they went with Leterrier for Incredible Hulk.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #58
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,246
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Jon Favreau Won't Direct 'Avengers,' Explains 'Iron Man 2' Tie-In Process

Posted 1 hr ago by Rick Marshall in Hot Stuff, Marvel, News, Video

When MTV News caught up with "Iron Man 2" director Jon Favreau on the set of "Couples Retreat," we were determined to get the filmmaker's take on how his much-anticipated sequel would connect with "The Avengers"—even if it took a bumpy ride in a golf cart to make the conversation happen.

Along with confirming that "Incredible Hulk" star Edward Norton won't be appearing in "Iron Man 2" and that Favreau won't be directing "The Avengers," the filmmaker shared some thoughts on his approach to making the Marvel movies all tie together.

"We want to reinforce a lot of the stuff we started to tip off," Favreau told MTV News. "'The Avengers' is a much larger concern for Marvel and Kevin Feige, who runs Marvel. They're going to be doing 'Thor' and 'Captain America,' and the way we might start to tease those things in this movie, some of it is stuff that we've discussed [and] some of the stuff you do last-minute as you figure out how that stuff is coming together."

"It's an evolving, amorphous thing," he explained. "If we decide and commit too early, the secret always gets out."

Case in point: the post-credits cameo by Sam Jackson as S.H.I.E.L.D. chief Nick Fury at the end of "Iron Man." Favreau and the studio went so far to keep the scene a secret that it was even left out of early screenings of the film for press. However, the secret still managed ot get out well before the film premiered.

"As soon as we shot the Nick Fury thing—we had a closed set and nobody was supposed to know about it—a week later somehow it was all over the internet," said Favreau. "It's a little bit of a cat-and-mouse game."

As far as his more direct involvement in "The Avengers" goes, Favreau flat-out denied rumors that he'd direct the superhero team-up extravaganza.

"They'll have to [find a different director], because I'm not going to be available," he explained. "It's something I'm being the executive producer on, so I'll definitely have input and a say."

"It's going to be hard, because I was so involved in creating the world of Iron Man and Iron Man is very much a tech-based hero, and then with 'Avengers' you're going to be introducing some supernatural aspects because of Thor," he continued. "How you mix the two of those works very well in the comic books, but it's going to take a lot of thoughtfulness to make that all work and not blow the reality that we've created."

Favreau also confessed that his focus on a single member of "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" might not be the best fit for the team-up film.

"That's why it's good that you have the guys from Marvel like Kevin Feige, who knows the books well and has been involved with the making of all the movies, and he'll be very involved with 'Thor' and 'Cap,'" said Favreau. "You need somebody who has the perspective of all the different franchises to bring them together. I have the myopic vision of just knowing and loving Iron Man."
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/10/14...ie-in-process/

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #59
WillardNation
Nibiru Warrior
 
WillardNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 4,888
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

Well it sucks that he's not gonna direct....

Quote:
"It's something I'm being the executive producer on, so I'll definitely have input and a say."
but that part still makes me happy.

__________________


"I have an accurate self assessment, which people call arrogance."

WillardNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #60
DocHoliday
The King of Cool
 
DocHoliday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 2,895
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

He probably won't but...if they did this from the set of "Couples Retreat" it might have been before Avengers was bumped. Either way he is directing "cowboys Vs Aliens" so it seems unlikely.

__________________
A cornered Fox is more dangerous than a Jackal!
DocHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #61
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,246
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

This wasn't from the set of "Couples Retreat". It was from a junket for the movie done only a few weeks ago. That's what it says on the MTV site now at least. Strange. Earlier it said, from the set, as how it is quoted in my post, now when you follow the link it reads:

Quote:
When MTV News caught up with "Iron Man 2" director Jon Favreau at the "Couples Retreat" junket a few weeks ago in Bora Bora, we were determined to get the filmmaker's take on how his much-anticipated sequel would connect with "The Avengers"—even if it took a bumpy ride in a golf cart to make the conversation happen.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #62
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger
 
Webhead2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 39,735
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

yea i was just reading the news earlier, though he is due to do a few films now that is likely the reason he doesnt have the time to fully commit to the film. Though who knows between now and when avengers is to go into production he could change his mind. Though another idea would be if joe/kevin/jon/louis co directed avengers all together.

__________________
Warner Bros Restructure's Dc comics into DC entertainment. Hopefully more characters and long in developmental hell projects can make it into the big and small screens soon.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #63
FaT_tONle
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: En Mi Casa
Posts: 14,549
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

Good news... outside the Norton debunking. Guess that whole situation will be up in the air for another six months or so. But at least it frees Jon up for IM3, which he can start prepping soon after Cowboys vs Aliens. Wonder who Marvel will brings in now? Better not be Rob Cohen or Stephen Sommers or some clown like that or I'll be pissed. Maybe Wolfgang Peterson, but that's like the bare minimum, unless it's a relative unknown whom we necessarily don't know a lot about but has ability, which is still risky to say the least.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #64
Chewy
REDACTED
 
Chewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,016
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

If Clash of the Titans turns out good I think we'll see Leterrier end up in that chair. He's a good director, he's already involved with and interested in the material, and he apparently had good working relationships with Marvel and Norton.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #65
FaT_tONle
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: En Mi Casa
Posts: 14,549
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

I don't trust LL with Avengers. I mean I guess his "director's cut" of TIH may have been a lot better than what we got, but it was rather underwhelming from a character standpoint. I even thought the action would be a lot better but it did not live up to my extremely high expectations. If COTT is decent then maybe, and it's a safe choice, but maybe too safe.

FaT_tONle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #66
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,999
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

If he was ever attached to direct, then I will have lost some respect for Favreau. Why the hell would you even become involved in the project if you don't think you can combine these characters together? I'm hoping he's not just trying to distance himself creatively from the project because of the script or something.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #67
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,815
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

I'm sort of disappointed but I understand how Favreau feels. I think its good to know your limits and not stretch yourself too thin. I'm glad we got Favreau back for Iron Man 2, and I hope he would continue on to maybe do a third Iron Man or at least still play Hogan if he would appear in Avengers.

Quote:
I've lost some respect for Favreau. Why the hell would you even become involved in the project if you don't think you can combine these characters together? I'm hoping he's not just trying to distance himself creatively from the project because of the script or something.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Its almost like you believe directors and filmmakers haven't only served as executive producers on these types of films before.

Favreau has done nothing to lose any respect at all.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #68
dcHulk
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 594
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaT_tONle View Post
I don't trust LL with Avengers. I mean I guess his "director's cut" of TIH may have been a lot better than what we got, but it was rather underwhelming from a character standpoint. I even thought the action would be a lot better but it did not live up to my extremely high expectations. If COTT is decent then maybe, and it's a safe choice, but maybe too safe.
As you seem to allude, the apparent lack of character development in TIH was not LL's fault, it was Marvel's. They forced a shorter running time against the advisement of LL and Norton. Because of this, Samson's character was reduced to nothing and Ross's character was slighted, just as examples. As for the action, I don't believe LL was given the green light to do everything he wanted. Yet I still enjoyed every aspect of the action in TIH. When LL brought concepts to Marvel's table before the cameras started rolling, it was said that nothing like it was seen on film before.

That being said, I don't think I would give the job to LL, nor to Favs. All directors of the single films should have creative input; but leave Avengers for a fresh director with a fresh take to combine all characters. Else one character may emerge the dominate, similar to X-men where Wolverine arguably became the focus.


Last edited by dcHulk; 10-15-2009 at 03:43 PM.
dcHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #69
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,815
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

What about Kevin Feige?

David Hayter .

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #70
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger
 
Webhead2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 39,735
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

personally i did like TIH sure some characters like ross/samson did get the shaft which sucked a bit. But it did like it more then ang lee's Hulk. Hopefully we get a solid director for avengers or maybe they could do co directing between some of the directors who have been on the marvel studios films. I am sre they will pick a wise choice for avengers. I doubt they would pull a ratner here.

__________________
Warner Bros Restructure's Dc comics into DC entertainment. Hopefully more characters and long in developmental hell projects can make it into the big and small screens soon.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #71
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,999
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean here. Its almost like you believe directors and filmmakers haven't only served as executive producers on these types of films before.

Favreau has done nothing to lose any respect at all.
Depends. IRON MAN was a good movie, but not a great one. The actors and effects made it what it was, and Favreau served as a capable director. But half my respect for him comes in the fact that he's able to make some pretty out there concepts gel. If he suddenly gets cold feet when combining THOR with IRON MAN after doing stuff like JUMANJI IN SPACE, I do wonder just how capable he is at that.

It was my understanding that he was to direct. He's been talking this film up for several years now. And suddenly "Oh, I don't know...might be too hard to make work". Yeah, not filling me with confidence. I've heard this twice now. From the producer, and from the writer. "It might be too hard to get right" and all that.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #72
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,815
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Depends. IRON MAN was a good movie, but not a great one. The actors and effects made it what it was, and Favreau served as a capable director. But half my respect for him comes in the fact that he's able to make some pretty out there concepts gel. If he suddenly gets cold feet when combining THOR with IRON MAN after doing stuff like JUMANJI IN SPACE, I do wonder just how capable he is at that.
You do realize he's also doing a Western sci-fi movie right? You aren't giving Favreau enough credit since its clear that he took a major role in the shaping of that story and Tony Stark's character in the movie, his dialogue, and everything else as well. He said he simply worked hard to set up a realistic very tech based world for Iron Man, and I get that he sort of feels that he's probably not the one to gel the concept of the world of Iron Man to the other characters. But he's serving in a capacity because he did help create the world of Iron Man on film so he will help in some way in the Iron Man concepts in an Avengers movie.

Quote:
It was my understanding that he was to direct. He's been talking this film up for several years now. And suddenly "Oh, I don't know...might be too hard to make work". Yeah, not filling me with confidence. I've heard this twice now. From the producer, and from the writer. "It might be too hard to get right" and all that.
I don't see the big deal. He signed a deal where he would be involved in some capacity. He's done a lot of the brand, I see no reason to doubt him yet. He didn't sign any deal to direct Avengers, he never said definitively he would direct it.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #73
rashad
Hype Board Junkie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,056
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHulk View Post
As you seem to allude, the apparent lack of character development in TIH was not LL's fault, it was Marvel's. They forced a shorter running time against the advisement of LL and Norton. Because of this, Samson's character was reduced to nothing and Ross's character was slighted, just as examples. As for the action, I don't believe LL was given the green light to do everything he wanted. Yet I still enjoyed every aspect of the action in TIH. When LL brought concepts to Marvel's table before the cameras started rolling, it was said that nothing like it was seen on film before.

That being said, I don't think I would give the job to LL, nor to Favs. All directors of the single films should have creative input; but leave Avengers for a fresh director with a fresh take to combine all characters. Else one character may emerge the dominate, similar to X-men where Wolverine arguably became the focus.
Iron Man will have 2 films by the time the other characters have one. Most of the general public would probably see The Avengers as an 'Iron Man' film unintentionally.

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #74
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger
 
Webhead2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 39,735
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

totally and from now and when avengers would be shooting in 2011 who knows maybe things will be different come im2 release and how long it takes to do that western scifi film and all that.

__________________
Warner Bros Restructure's Dc comics into DC entertainment. Hopefully more characters and long in developmental hell projects can make it into the big and small screens soon.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #75
Zatara
New User - Level 0
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Default Re: Favreau to POSSIBLY Direct 'The Avengers'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
yea i was just reading the news earlier, though he is due to do a few films now that is likely the reason he doesnt have the time to fully commit to the film. Though who knows between now and when avengers is to go into production he could change his mind. Though another idea would be if joe/kevin/jon/louis co directed avengers all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
personally i did like TIH sure some characters like ross/samson did get the shaft which sucked a bit. But it did like it more then ang lee's Hulk. Hopefully we get a solid director for avengers or maybe they could do co directing between some of the directors who have been on the marvel studios films. I am sre they will pick a wise choice for avengers. I doubt they would pull a ratner here.
Too many cooks...

Zatara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.