The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 03-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #26
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Default Re: The Official review thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McCabe View Post
the confrontation takes place in a bar/barn after 'Nam.

Logan finds Creed in the bar (ala Wolverine #10) a few hours after finding Kayla's corpse by the cabin.
Fair enough.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:06 AM   #27
Retroman
Side-Kick

Possible review? It's from a South African website.

Quote:
X-MEN ORIGINS - WOLVERINE: THE REVIEW

When you are making the fourth movie in a series, you essentially have two choices: you can take the pragmatist’s view, preparing yourself for the inevitable sceptical response and shrugging off any hint of ridicule as you count the guaranteed takings from die-hard fans of the franchise. Or you can try to pull something fresh out of the hat that exceeds expectations and destroys negative preconceptions.

The producers of X-Men Origins: Wolverine (among them Hugh Jackman, a.k.a. Wolverine) have managed to successfully pursue the last option.

Their intriguing choice of both director and writer has proved to be inspired. South African director, Gavin Hood (of Oscar-winning Tsotsi fame) has managed the considerable shift in genre with impressive aplomb, somehow managing to bring a gritty sense of realism to the movie without sacrificing the larger-than-life quality that is essential to every true sci-fi flick.

And no doubt the quality of David Benioff’s screenplay, who also wrote the screenplays for movies such as The Kite Runner and Spike Lee's 25th Hour, made Hood’s task significantly easier.

The result of their efforts (as well as that of the rest of the cast and crew whose enthusiasm seems not to have waned at all) is a very rare thing: a sequel to a sequel to a sequel that manages to be hugely entertaining, refreshingly original and leaves you holding thumbs for a Number 5.
Source Link:http://previewclub.co.za/movies/?id=51#reviews

Old 04-22-2009, 04:34 AM   #28
night0205
Side-Kick

Yeah, that site also said Dragonball was a good movie... Hey, I haven't seen it, but it looks....really horrible.

And they gave a good "street fighter" review...which I hear is the worst movie ever made...so you can pretty much throw that review out the window.

Last edited by night0205; 04-22-2009 at 04:43 AM.
night0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #29
dark_b
Side-Kick

april 22. are there any reviews out there with spoilers?

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #30
TNC9852002
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0205 View Post
Yeah, that site also said Dragonball was a good movie... Hey, I haven't seen it, but it looks....really horrible.

And they gave a good "street fighter" review...which I hear is the worst movie ever made...so you can pretty much throw that review out the window.
I think South Africans aren't so picky when it comes to having fun watching movies..

I mean, I thought DBE and Street Fighter were bad, but they weren't unwatchable or anything.

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
TNC9852002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #31
night0205
Side-Kick

...not unwatchable? Movies that use the wording not unwatchable...shouldn't get good reviews. If Dragonball and Street Fighter get good reviews, then Wolverine should be a masterpiece. If that's the case, then we call all sleep tight . I just don't think the review from Africa can give us much of an idea of how good or how bad Wolverine is.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #32
chaseter
Bland User

If DB was a good movie then I am Hugh Jackman.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #33
TNC9852002
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0205 View Post
...not unwatchable? Movies that use the wording not unwatchable...shouldn't get good reviews. If Dragonball and Street Fighter get good reviews, then Wolverine should be a masterpiece. If that's the case, then we call all sleep tight . I just don't think the review from Africa can give us much of an idea of how good or how bad Wolverine is.
You forget..

We're not South Africans....

...and I don't think you're making a strong argument with this good review business. A movie can still be generally disliked, but that won't stop it from getting a few good reviews here and there from those with different values. We're talking about a minority here and no one here is suggesting to use this as a system of determining how good Wolverine is. That was the first thing I tried to point out.

Last Movies Seen (Theaters): Piranha 3D, Lottery Ticket, The Switch, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Expendables, Step Up 3D, The Other Guys, Dinner for Schmucks, Salt, Inception, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Predators, Despicable Me, The Last Airbender, Grown Ups, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, The A-Team, Shrek Forever After.
Grrrr!! The SHH forums!

Last edited by TNC9852002; 04-22-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #34
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McCabe View Post
the confrontation takes place in a bar/barn after 'Nam.

Logan finds Creed in the bar (ala Wolverine #10) a few hours after finding Kayla's corpse by the cabin.
Spoilers

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #35
night0205
Side-Kick

I just don't trust the reviews of people, if I don't agree with them. Some people like all movies, which is fine, but doesn't mean everyone else is going to.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #36
TNC9852002
Banned User

Heh...I don't know anyone that likes all movies.

And to clarify, when I say I find a movie to be not unwatchable, it means that the movie was bad, but I didn't not like what it tried to do nor did it annoy or anger me in what it failed to do.

There are some movies that are so bad or annoying that you can't bare to watch it again.

Grrrr!! The SHH forums!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #37
SP1D3RxV3N0M
Marveler

Isn't it ironic that a review that everyone stated to be fake ended up being very close to the actual movie?

SP1D3RxV3N0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #38
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

I suspected it was genuine from the start, even if other people didn't.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #39
CelticPredator
Banned User

That review had ZERO spoilers. Everything in there can be found out by watching the trailers.

notice he never mentions Gambit, Emma, Blob...that, he says "twists that make u cheer!111 lolbbq!11"

Um....there werent any twists that make you 'Cheer'. Boo, maybe...

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #40
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

If I made a preliminary review of Wolverine, I would have left out Gambit, Emma, and Blob too. They aren't that important to the main plot.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #41
CelticPredator
Banned User

You're right. But still....i'd include them.

I mean, if they really saw it, how come they didnt say anything that wasnt in the trailers?

Thats what I would've done.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #42
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

So, when are some reviews of this movie going to start pouring out? I remember TDK had tons of reviews from critics and the like out at least two weeks prior to its opening from private screenings and all that.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #43
Dark Victory
Ogdred Weary

My friend(who's never read a Wolverine comic in his life) just watched it. We both laughed and agreed that the unfinished CGI was the only redeeming part which were all worth a good laugh.

Dark Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #44
Dark Victory
Ogdred Weary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
If I made a preliminary review of Wolverine, I would have left out Gambit, Emma, and Blob too. They aren't that important to the main plot.
Their roles felt like extended cameos. The character tv spots had more depth.

Dark Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #45
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Victory View Post
My friend(who's never read a Wolverine comic in his life) just watched it. We both laughed and agreed that the unfinished CGI was the only redeeming part which were all worth a good laugh.
Work. Print.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #46
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

He wasn't saying the CGI was part of the the reason why it's bad and he knows its a workprint hence the words "unfinished CGI". He was saying that the unfinished CGI made it more enjoyable. And I agree, the effects look so goofy it's hilarious.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #47
night0205
Side-Kick

We are glad Fox could introduce you to 3D Animation...you can do it yourself, just download Blender and have fun laughing your arse off. I did find it pretty intriguing to see a little bit of how movies are made...nothing new, but it was fun seeing such a big budget movie half way through.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:20 AM   #48
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths Head II View Post
He wasn't saying the CGI was part of the the reason why it's bad and he knows its a workprint hence the words "unfinished CGI". He was saying that the unfinished CGI made it more enjoyable. And I agree, the effects look so goofy it's hilarious.
Yea, but when he says that TV spots had more depth than the actual movie, he kind of loses all credibility.

Nah'meen?

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #49
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Yea, but when he says that TV spots had more depth than the actual movie, he kind of loses all credibility.

Nah'meen?
The character spots did reveal aspects that the film never showed though. The movie never really suggested Wraith hated his powers or Blob was proud of what he's done. Those are very character-revealing things.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #50
CelticPredator
Banned User

Why? It's true...there really IS no depth in the movie. You dont get to know any character. Not even Wolverine. Other then a fact he's a sissy boy with a bad temper.