The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
shadowdog
Side-Kick

Default Marvel MMO

another Marvel MMO rumor...but this one looks like it's really going to happen this time!
What does everyone think?

http://marvel.com/news/vgstories.724...MO_Deal_Signed

Old 03-17-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Default Re: Marvel MMO Deal Signed

Awesome. I hope it's a PC/360 exclusive since PS3 got DC.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #3
Nightmare
"Kill Them All"

Do MMO's really work on consoles?

"After they killed me, I became something much, much worse. The stuff nightmares are made of. The children still feared me, and their fear gave me the power to invade their dreams, and that's when the fun REALLY began"
Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
Do MMO's really work on consoles?
None so far. Probably the biggest was FF XI and it didnt really take off

Old 03-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
shadowdog
Side-Kick

they are trying to make DCU online work for consoles
so who knows
I'm just glad to see it's underway
....again

Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Philly Phanboy
LIVIN' LA VIDA PHANBOY

This is kinda bizarre news. Didn't they pour money into development of what is now going to be released as "Champions Online" and then end their partnership?

Had they stuck with their previous game it would be ready for release this fall.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Brainiac 8
Clark Smash!

Meh, after I broke my Everquest addiction about ten years ago, I just find MMO's to be rather pointless. Doesn't matter to me what the premise is.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
Mr. M
Side-Kick

I have never played an MMO...ever. Since they said that they are pretty much adding everybody, I'm excited. Anything with Marvel's name on it, I will play. So anyone willing to let me know kind of what to expect in this type of game would be appreciated. Like, will I be a specific character or will I control a lot of characters? Do I get to make my own team? Simply why am I excited for this?

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #9
Brainiac 8
Clark Smash!

You'll create a generic superhero that will run around fighting generic thugs to gain experience for hours on end. Periodically you'll talk to a Marvel hero with a pre-programmed response to do some mundane quest that will fetch you some miniscule amount of experience.

You do this for hours and hours and hours with no real end in sight.

That pretty much sums up what to expect.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
drmick
Side-Kick

Never heard of Gazillion.

These guys:
http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs.cfm?isap...nd-Burn&bhcp=1

are not too optimistic about the endeavor. See below:
Quote:
Today Gazillion Entertainment exploded onto the MMO scene with the news that it has an exclusive 10 year deal with Marvel Comics and is going to have it's first MMO out in 2010 aimed at kids. Also, it is made up of four studios, of which NetDevil and Slipgate Ironworks are the established ones and two new studios in Amazing Society and Gargantuan. I count seven MMOs (perhaps a stand alone game are part of their vague ideas) planned to come out of four studios. It has raised funds from some big investment houses, probably off the idea that MMOs are recession proof.
Things don't look good.
First off, if NetDevil and Slipgate Ironworks are your 'established' MMO companies (my term, but they are known) things are off to a bad start. NetDevil has two failed MMOs under its belt - Jumpgate and Auto Assault - and is hanging its hat on a Jumpgate sequel / update and the LEGO MMO who's concept art makes me scratch my head. Slipgate Ironworks is John Romero's (of Daikatana infamy) studio who has been working on a MMO for a while now with nothing to publicly show for it.
The Amazing Society is meant to be releasing its kid-friendly Marvel MMO named Super Hero Squad (based on Hasbro's Super Hero Squad figures which are licensed from Marvel) in 2010. Good luck with releasing a new MMO - I'm expecting Marvel's version of FusionFall - from a new studio in less than two years. Especially since it is going to be associated with a new cartoon series launching in 2009. I can't really imagine Super Hero Squad Online getting that much of a run if the cartoon series flops.
Gargantuan Studios is developing the Marvel Universe MMO. Let's hope they fare better than Vivendi / Wolfpack, Microsoft / Sigil and Microsoft / Cryptic. The last 10 year exclusive MMO deal that Marvel signed lasted less than 3 years.
I see four studios, major IPs, lots of plans and mentions of how much money Marvel films make or the MMO industry is worth and think ofCheyenne Mountain Entertainment and FireSky. Also, it seems like the F2P / microtransaction model is the core of Gazillion's revenue plan. That's fine - I don't shun RMT out of hand - but every successful F2P title out there there are a lot of second tier or those that end up in the gaming graveyard.
Gazillion has launched with a lot of promises, but it feels to me like one big bluff.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
Philly Phanboy
LIVIN' LA VIDA PHANBOY

^^ All of which brings me back to my first post. Why did Marvel bail on Cryptic Studios when they started the first Marvel MMO together only to try it a second time with a bush league software company? This move really makes no sense.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #12
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Phanboy View Post
^^ All of which brings me back to my first post. Why did Marvel bail on Cryptic Studios when they started the first Marvel MMO together only to try it a second time with a bush league software company? This move really makes no sense.
I agree. There are just way too many failed MMO out there, and Marvel is stupid to partner with a studio that has poor MMO track record. Cryptic has proven themselves to be good at this gaming genre, and that is something you cannot buy with money. Marvel can allow gamers to play in the Marvel Universe all they want, but if it sucks, not even the lure of playing alongside Spider-man will be enough to folk over $15 a month for it.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 03-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
Fading
>:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmick View Post
These guys:
---

are not too optimistic about the endeavor.
All of the times this article mentioned, "aimed at kids" has me worried. Unless a game is rated M, it typically has something that can appeal to any age. They rarely try to completely shut out kids or adults entirely as they'd be cutting out major profit. So when a gaming company openly announces it's aiming for kids it's a turn off for me as I envision wacky sound effects, cartoony graphics, low brow fart jokes, ect.

I think Marvel shot themselves in the foot with MMO's. They sued City of Heroes for copyright (thus pissing off MMO fans), pull the plug with an MMO that was gaining hype and steam, and then resign on back with an unknown. Meanwhile DC Online and Champions Online are getting all the hype. By the time the Marvel MMO comes out it'll probably be irrelavent. Inbetween COH, DCUO, and Champions, do we really need ANOTHER superhero MMO? And one possibly aimed towards pre-teen kids at that?

Old 03-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadingCB View Post
By the time the Marvel MMO comes out it'll probably be irrelavent. Inbetween COH, DCUO, and Champions, do we really need ANOTHER superhero MMO? And one possibly aimed towards pre-teen kids at that?
I highly doubt it'll be irrelevant. The answer to if we need another superhero MMO, is yes...if Marvels name is attached to it. Marvel is arguably the number one name in comics, which is why i say the game will be anything but irrelevant, if its good. I'm with you tho if the game turns out to be a Marvel MMO designed for the Wii crowd, then just count me all kinds of out.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
Fading
>:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
I highly doubt it'll be irrelevant. The answer to if we need another superhero MMO, is yes...if Marvels name is attached to it.
I agree that when it comes to comics Marvels name is king among most fans, and non fans. It's just that I think Marvel has let that boat sail more or less. When they sued COH a lot of ppl thought it was the hinting of an MMO. Then the actual news came out, a trailer popped up, ppl were interested and excited for it (including myself, I would rather have got it than DCUO). Then....nothing, they pull the plug. I think a lot of ppl lost interest and moved on to the other comic book MMO projects about to come out.

Unless the ppl currently playing COH, and about to play DCUO and Champions next year get bored with these games by the time the Marvel one comes out, it might not be irrelevant, but I think it'll take a major effort by Marvel to get as much interest in the title as they had with their other attempt.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #16
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadingCB View Post
I agree that when it comes to comics Marvels name is king among most fans, and non fans. It's just that I think Marvel has let that boat sail more or less. When they sued COH a lot of ppl thought it was the hinting of an MMO. Then the actual news came out, a trailer popped up, ppl were interested and excited for it (including myself, I would rather have got it than DCUO). Then....nothing, they pull the plug. I think a lot of ppl lost interest and moved on to the other comic book MMO projects about to come out.

Unless the ppl currently playing COH, and about to play DCUO and Champions next year get bored with these games by the time the Marvel one comes out, it might not be irrelevant, but I think it'll take a major effort by Marvel to get as much interest in the title as they had with their other attempt.

Yea and i agree with you for the most part, but if Marvel were to release a good MMO, i could easily see it taking fans from a CoH or Champions. I mean i plan on getting the DCUO, but if Marvel releases an MMO thats as good or better than the DCUO(assuming DCUO is good) then id most likely switch to the Marvel one as i prefer that universe.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #17
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Marvel-MMo bad online Again about time.

sorry I mean back on line too bad the edit funtion doesn't allow you to fix the tittle header. (please fix that)

It looks like Marvel is trying once again to get Marvel Universe Online off the ground. BigDownload.com reports that Marvel has hired Gazillion Entertainment to continue work on Marvel Universe Online, taking over development of the MMO from Cryptic Studios. Gazillion owns several different studios that specialize in developing MMOs, and rumor has it that their California-based Gargantuan Entertainment will handle the new game. Upon the game’s initial cancellation early last year, Cryptic decided to make the upcoming Champions Online using the same gameplay engine. Marvel has yet to make an official announcement regarding the current status of their game.

http://www.elecplay.com/episode/view...19/episode/74#

source: the electricplayground.

the video of this news will air this Thursdays. This good is news to here I was ticked at marvel canceling and basically i still am but hey i can drop it.

though cryptic was more seasoned at making MMO's and these guys are new to my ears.(seeing as I never heard of them) as long as they can get this back and running. and that they still get both comic fans and gamer's that are comic fans in and take input like different super hero teams have different styles in the way they operate and i'm good.

Well now i guess this will be a toss up between the Dc online game now since that's where I've been leaning more to since they had canceled this title and put what was of civil war story line that was made for this game into ultimate alliance.

Yeah I guess I have to see which MMO video game I like more now. don't get confused by what i'm saying I still love marvel, but with certain event's some with the movies, what was done with comic's like making sure to get ride of the thing 's that made the heroes human like them in relationships and moving farward as humans like them having family's only to be destroy by some 80's fan turned writer that has issue of the idea of that and wanted to force movie elements into the books. seeing guys like captain britain cyclops and spider ripped away fro m the women they belong with what was lame of ways of doing so, cause of the ways they did it plus the fact that they sorta have bastardised cyclops again in doing so.

and there's also to a degree and that wolverine the X-men ( which is so wrong)animated . yeah you can see I like d bruce timms work on JLA alot better then what marvels doing with their latest animated runs.

Well marvel been pushing me a way for the past few years. and them canceling the MMo was had me from dancing on the line to having half my body nearly crossing over to dc or just not dealing with comic's (mostly marvel ) anymore or in any medium form it's in. this might have me back in or it may not depending on how this is treated. so seriously don't mess this up. there's a promise I made to someone on a certain site i used to work for., that's also on this. with which i have work to co-inside with this. and i don't like breaking promises.

Get this done

ok one last thing. t to add here to the mods in charge i just saw that this was kinda put up. silly me . can you please merge the two threads together.

Last edited by zenith16; 03-23-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
shadowdog
Side-Kick

Default Re: Marvel-MMo bad online Again about time.

there's already a thread about this
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=321295

Old 03-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #19
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Re: Marvel-MMo bad online Again about time.

I mentioned that I noticed that befor you posted shadow dog and befor i went off line. that's why I asked the mods to merge them. look at the whole post and the time posted in it . BTW that was a nice find.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #20
zenith16
Side-Kick

Default Marvel MMO

New news on this

You may have to wait a lot longer to get your hands on the upcoming Marvel Universe Online. 2012 is the new date that the gameís publisher is floating around for the MMO set inside the Marvel Universe. Speaking with MTV, President of Marvel International Simon Phillips said they need the extra time to create the gameís immersive environments and story elements. The game started life at Cryptic Studios, but was cancelled, prompting Cryptic to make the soon-to-be-released Champions Online instead. Marvel Universe Online is now back in development at Gazillion Entertainment, and is not to be confused with DC Universe Online from Sony.

http://www.elecplay.com/episode/view.../19/episode/86
Source: the electric playground

And yes it's also on video among others like the details to the new Ghost busters movie.

enjoy. Discussions in session.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #21
Nathan

Quote:
This Is Not The Marvel Super Hero MMO You've Been Waiting For

It might not be the City of Heroes meets the X-Men we were hoping for, but kids should get a kick out of playing as tiny versions of their favorite Marvel characters in Gazillion Entertainment's Super Hero Squad Online.

Gazillion finally draws back the curtain on Super Hero Squad Online, the massively-multiplayer online game first mentioned back in March of last year. Rather than being based in the Marvel comic book universe, the game is based on the Super Hero Squad children's toy series, a franchise that's already produced a cartoon, comic books, and a video game I had the misfortune of reviewing last September.

Instead of having kids and tweens create their own super hero, Super Hero Squad Online will see them playing as the greats - Wolverine, SpideróMan, Iron Man, War Machine, Silver Surfer, Captain America, and the Hulk, to name a few.

Jay Minn, Creative Director for Super Hero Squad Online, says: "In Super Hero Squad Online you are not a nameless sidekick! You'll swing through Super Hero City as Spider-Man or zap the bad guys with Cyclops' optic blasts in high-voltage missions. Or you can just hang out in a high-energy, immersive world filled with other Marvel fans!"

Yes, there's a Super Hero City. There's also Villainville. Players will be able to hang out in familiar locations in each town, or spend time with their friends in their own customizable secret hideout.

For more info on Super Hero Squad online, stay tuned to the game's official website, or tune into GameTrailers TV this week for the world premiere of the game's trailer.

And for those eager for a slightly more mature Marvel MMO experience, don't lose hope. This is only the first game developed under Gazillion's 10-year deal with Marvel. There's more to come.

Source

Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #22
King K
DCU Online

"In a world...where MMO is only capable on PC. One company dares to try and bring it to consoles....again. This time, its for real."

No but seriously I can't wait to play DC Universe Online and its only natural and right for Marvel to get their s*** together and acomplish what SOE is about to do with DCU Online. I just hope the 360/PS3 get this real Marvel MMO because I'm not a PC gamer at all.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #23
RyanJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
None so far. Probably the biggest was FF XI and it didnt really take off

I don't mean to derail this thread but how can you say FFXI "Didn't really take off"? It's been around for 8 years now and from what I understand the majority of the players are on the PS2. Japan, Europe and North America combined. At it's peak it had over 500,000 players. 250,000 is considered good for an MMO. It has 4 expansions with more content on the way.

Now, there's no denying that the game is on it's last legs especially with FFXIV (on PC and PS3) due out this year. However, to say it didn't really take off is not very accurate. It may not have had the success of World of Warcraft, but it was successful.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #24
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Props for Nova in the promos.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:28 AM   #25
Nathan

Exclusive Debut Trailer

Closed Thread