Side-Kick

Default Re: Avengers cartoon

Korvac!

- CM Punk
Old 02-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #102
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

If the 90's show could try to handle a Proteus story, why not Korvac?

Kang, Ultron, the Masters of Evil and likely Loki are confirmed.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #103
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBeetle View Post
the Febuary 10th 2010 amazing spider-man comic might prove this statement right
Iron man going to an Avenger meeting whose member contains;Hulk, Ironman, Captain America, and Thor(missing his pants apparently). and the first Ultimates and Avengers were
Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Ant Man/Giantman, Wasp and are appearing in two animated series(Superhero Squad and Avengers) plus Nick Fury.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is

Last edited by ironman29758; 02-11-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #104
Ceb-Man
Side-Kick

I cannot wait to see this cartoon.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #105
Ceb-Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman29758 View Post
the Febuary 10th 2010 amazing spider-man comic might prove this statement right
Iron man going to an Avenger meeting whose member contains;Hulk, Ironman, Captain America, and Thor(missing his pants apparently). and the first Ultimates and Avengers were
Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Ant Man/Giantman, Wasp and are appearing in two animated series(Superhero Squad and Avengers) plus Nick Fury.
Looks like Black Panther will be on team at some point.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:05 AM   #106
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I'll freak out if I see Taskmaster finally animated.

- CM Punk
Old 02-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #107
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I'll freak out if I see Taskmaster finally animated.
to bad if he is than it'll be in (yet another) simplified art style.

4) The Dark Knight Rises 5) The Incredible Hulk 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World
7)X-Men:Days of Future Past 8) X-Men:First Class 9) Thor 10) Spider-Man 2
Old 02-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #108
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Taskmaster is an obscure villain compared to other Avengers villains, especially since I imagine we will be getting villains from each Avenger's rogues gallery, like Thor, Hulk, Capt. America. But, it would be pretty cool. I imagine the UDON costume would animate better.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #109
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I think you can use Taskmaster much like how Justice League used Deadshot. It wouldn't be surprising to see a Justin Hammer or supervillain type employ Taskmaster's talent, especially if its the competent Taskmaster as tends to be now and again.

- CM Punk
Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #110
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Avengers cartoon

Quote:
I think you can use Taskmaster much like how Justice League used Deadshot. It wouldn't be surprising to see a Justin Hammer or supervillain type employ Taskmaster's talent, especially if its the competent Taskmaster as tends to be now and again.
True. That's certainly possible. If some boss villain wanted someone who can counter Captain America who works for a paycheck, Taskmaster's an easy guy.

To be honest I am still not sure how to gauge what will be coming from this show. I expect it to be decent, and of course the best Avengers TV series yet made; the problem is such a bar is very low and easy to surpass. Even SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED was a better show than AVENGERS: UNITED THEY STAND, or the dull as dishwater SILVER SURFER show. This will be the first time we really see Chris Yost head line a series by himself, without Greg Johnson or Craig Kyle in his corner. He's the captain of this ship. Even for his TMNT episodes, he was basically a beat writer working under the editing guidance of others from Mirage. He wrote part of THEIR long term arcs. I've read some of Yost's solo comics like X-MEN KINGBREAKER or the RUNAWAYS/YOUNG AVENGERS SECRET INVASION mini, but TV is another beast.

I don't expect the show to be a comedy by all intents like FANTASTIC FOUR: WGH was, but will it be as mature as JUSTICE LEAGUE was? Even in it's first, flawed season, it was still a mature show, willing to have conversations with subtext and even innuendo. Of course, when every episode was 44 minutes, they had the chance to fill time with banter. Will there be subplots? A seasonal arc? Or not? It's very hard to know what to expect, and as a cynical fan with a long, LONG memory, it becomes easy to assume the worst, every time.

I'm sure it'll be a step forward for THE AVENGERS, but will it be the sort of knock-out punch to actually dethrone JUSTICE LEAGUE or JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED after so many years? Will it have that combination of action, characterization, mature plot and above all well paced action? Or will it be more like the series finale of THE BATMAN, which almost were Justice League episodes? Time will tell, but the wait can be excruciating.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #111
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Chris Yost has earned and deserves this spot. I have no reason to doubt him just because he usually worked with other guys or hasn't served as the actual helmer. If anything all of his experience has gotten him ready for this.

If anything Dread your mind should be at ease because Chris Yost had NOTHING to do with Spidey Unlimited or United They Stand which you keep talking about. The animated projects Chris Yost worked on were GOOD projects and ones you also like.

I've enjoyed pretty much all of the comic books he's written and co-written as well.

All the best start somehwere. James Cameron in the early 1980's did matte paintings for low budget movies like John Carpenter's Escape From NY. Before that he was a truck driver for like college books.

- CM Punk
Old 02-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #112
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Chris Yost has earned and deserves this spot. I have no reason to doubt him just because he usually worked with other guys or hasn't served as the actual helmer. If anything all of his experience has gotten him ready for this.

If anything Dread your mind should be at ease because Chris Yost had NOTHING to do with Spidey Unlimited or United They Stand which you keep talking about. The animated projects Chris Yost worked on were GOOD projects and ones you also like.

I've enjoyed pretty much all of the comic books he's written and co-written as well.

All the best start somehwere. James Cameron in the early 1980's did matte paintings for low budget movies like John Carpenter's Escape From NY. Before that he was a truck driver for like college books.
I wasn't trying or intending to imply that Chris Yost didn't earn or deserve a shot at the big time, nor that he wasn't talented. While I would imagine that as a Toonzone beat writer you've probably gotten to know Yost more than I ever will, what impressions I have gotten from his various interviews and commentaries is that he does usually know his stuff; while he wasn't, say, an authority on THOR's universe, I do believe he probably knows more about it than some other TV writers. I didn't really notice any "continuity hiccups" in some of his solo comic works I have read; X-MEN KINGBREAKER I would almost argue had a more dramatic showdown against Vulcan for me because Havok had more emotional investment, since Vulcan killed his father, than Black Bolt's duel with Vulcan in WAR OF KINGS proper. KINGBREAKER almost had little going for it beyond action set-pieces, but those were executed well so I enjoyed it.

Still, Bruce Timm for some interviews about JUSTICE LEAGUE in 2001 stated that, to paraphrase, opportunities like doing JL or the Avengers literally may only come around once in a decade, or once every twenty years, even. And that when such an opportunity comes, the fans will never forgive you if you don't get it right. AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES has taken a major step forward towards doing that, with a team roster that appears made up of the classic founders, including the "big three", as well as long time B-Listers like Hank Pym, Wasp, and maybe even Black Panther. We know that some other lessor famed Avengers like Wonder Man will appear, which means Hawkeye is probably inevitable (although to be blunt, Hawkeye's had better animation luck than Wonder Man, if one can imagine; he had IRON MAN Season 2 in the 90's). The only member who seems there by obligation is the Hulk, whose Avengers membership was very brief in the comics, but he remains popular with the general public (especially on the small screen). Of course it could be possible that it is also brief in this AVENGERS show, perhaps as a seasonal arc or whatnot. We don't know. I did read data that suggested some material from an aborted Hulk cartoon from 2008 or so is being mixed into this AVENGERS show, and it remains to be seen how that may be handled; it could be the "Weapon X" of the Avengers, if that makes sense, which could be interesting. Just so long as Iron Man and Hulk don't totally hog the show due to their popularity.

(Even though, for all of Bruce Timm's skill and wisdom, Batman hogged a lot of JUSTICE LEAGUE/UNLIMITED, so the temptations of that are never easy.)

I know everyone starts from somewhere, and I know that Yost wasn't involved with many of those crappy shows from the late 90's. The irony is that if TV.com is to be believed, Yost actually wrote far more episodes of 2k3 TMNT than X-MEN EVOLUTION (which Kyle and Johnson were more involved with). I'd argue the low point of his credit list were the 4 episodes of "THE BATMAN" he wrote, because a few of them were not very good at all. Right now the show that seems to have his heaviest stamp is FANTASTIC FOUR: WGH, which while not the greatest show ever, I think gets a bad rap because it came out right as JLU was ending, and expectations were ridiculously high. Taken as a sitcom superhero show (not many notches removed from THE TICK), it works a lot better, and midway through the season, the writers realized that and went with their strength.

The thing is, this very well could be the show of Yost's career. If it underwhelms, the fans will eat him alive. If it does well, though, then he could probably ride it forever like Bruce Timm does with some of his past projects (not that Timm & Co. can't do great work nowadays, but c'mon, not every one of those DCU animated things is an instant classic). The production of this AVENGERS show has been kept very secretive, but while it breeds anticipation, it also leaves those doing the anticipating to sort of stew too much without any info.

JUSTICE LEAGUE and it's successor, JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED are daunting shows to try to match or top. At the same time, they were not infallible or perfect shows; if anything, both needed a full season to find their feet. They were definitely shows that had to crawl before they could walk, and walk before they ran. Yost at the very least has them as hindsight as to what to do right and what to avoid.

For a comic book analogy, there are some battles where the stakes are so cosmically high that nothing short of excellence is good enough. This is one of those times. Still, I am curious to see, ahem, "unfiltered Yost" on a TV show.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:03 AM   #113
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
I wasn't trying or intending to imply that Chris Yost didn't earn or deserve a shot at the big time, nor that he wasn't talented. While I would imagine that as a Toonzone beat writer you've probably gotten to know Yost more than I ever will, what impressions I have gotten from his various interviews and commentaries is that he does usually know his stuff; while he wasn't, say, an authority on THOR's universe, I do believe he probably knows more about it than some other TV writers. I didn't really notice any "continuity hiccups" in some of his solo comic works I have read; X-MEN KINGBREAKER I would almost argue had a more dramatic showdown against Vulcan for me because Havok had more emotional investment, since Vulcan killed his father, than Black Bolt's duel with Vulcan in WAR OF KINGS proper. KINGBREAKER almost had little going for it beyond action set-pieces, but those were executed well so I enjoyed it.
I think you just enjoy standing on your soapbox of skepticism .

Quote:
Still, Bruce Timm for some interviews about JUSTICE LEAGUE in 2001 stated that, to paraphrase, opportunities like doing JL or the Avengers literally may only come around once in a decade, or once every twenty years, even. And that when such an opportunity comes, the fans will never forgive you if you don't get it right. AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES has taken a major step forward towards doing that, with a team roster that appears made up of the classic founders, including the "big three", as well as long time B-Listers like Hank Pym, Wasp, and maybe even Black Panther. We know that some other lessor famed Avengers like Wonder Man will appear, which means Hawkeye is probably inevitable (although to be blunt, Hawkeye's had better animation luck than Wonder Man, if one can imagine; he had IRON MAN Season 2 in the 90's). The only member who seems there by obligation is the Hulk, whose Avengers membership was very brief in the comics, but he remains popular with the general public (especially on the small screen). Of course it could be possible that it is also brief in this AVENGERS show, perhaps as a seasonal arc or whatnot. We don't know. I did read data that suggested some material from an aborted Hulk cartoon from 2008 or so is being mixed into this AVENGERS show, and it remains to be seen how that may be handled; it could be the "Weapon X" of the Avengers, if that makes sense, which could be interesting. Just so long as Iron Man and Hulk don't totally hog the show due to their popularity.
Obviously this isn't going to be a word for word retelling of the comics. So they can adjust the Hulk's story and status with the team. Having Hulk in there adds an interesting X-factor.

Also if you are going to make the Justice League comparison, keep in mind that the series incorporated John Stewart GL and Hawkgirl into the original team's lineup. This was somewhat controversial at the time, but also Timm basically admitted that they needed a more PC lineup and would it be bad if all the members were male or white.

So again I'm not really sure what you are worried or concerned about Dread. You keep bringing up how bad those older shows were, but this looks nothing like the late 90's garbage. We are getting a show with the big 3. And they are going to incorporate Avengers mainstays and milestone characters as far as we know as well.

Quote:
(Even though, for all of Bruce Timm's skill and wisdom, Batman hogged a lot of JUSTICE LEAGUE/UNLIMITED, so the temptations of that are never easy.)
He hogs a lot of the animated movies too, check out Crisis on 2 Earths .

Quote:
I know everyone starts from somewhere, and I know that Yost wasn't involved with many of those crappy shows from the late 90's. The irony is that if TV.com is to be believed, Yost actually wrote far more episodes of 2k3 TMNT than X-MEN EVOLUTION (which Kyle and Johnson were more involved with). I'd argue the low point of his credit list were the 4 episodes of "THE BATMAN" he wrote, because a few of them were not very good at all. Right now the show that seems to have his heaviest stamp is FANTASTIC FOUR: WGH, which while not the greatest show ever, I think gets a bad rap because it came out right as JLU was ending, and expectations were ridiculously high. Taken as a sitcom superhero show (not many notches removed from THE TICK), it works a lot better, and midway through the season, the writers realized that and went with their strength.
I enjoy World's Greatest Heroes a lot. I just think some of the VA's are miscast and it just very much sounds like an Ocean Group Canadian anime dub. So all the Canadian accents just sound a bit iffy at times IMHO.

Quote:
The thing is, this very well could be the show of Yost's career. If it underwhelms, the fans will eat him alive. If it does well, though, then he could probably ride it forever like Bruce Timm does with some of his past projects (not that Timm & Co. can't do great work nowadays, but c'mon, not every one of those DCU animated things is an instant classic). The production of this AVENGERS show has been kept very secretive, but while it breeds anticipation, it also leaves those doing the anticipating to sort of stew too much without any info.
OK, now this is sort of where I take umbrage. You go on this tangent of THEY BETTER DO IT RIGHT OR THE FANS WILL EAT HIM ALIVE. I mean, what kind of hyperbole is that? I got to be honest, Justice League was not a perfect show and I feel at times they weren't really getting it right. The first season was downright weak storytelling and character wise. I don't feel Unlimited did a good job of juggling the supporting cast. I don't agree with your message that you keep repeating YOU BETTER GET IT RIGHT OR WE WILL BE MADZ AT YOU! Honestly, they owe us nothing and that reason being because I know for a fact that the people working on the show are as big of fans as we are of this stuff. There's literally been no evidence that the show is going down a bad path or that we should doubt the integrity of this show besides that there was a crappy Avengers show that this creative team had nothing to do with. That show honestly looked like an Avi Arad show. I don't mean disrespect to Avi Arad since he did a lot for Marvel and helping get it where he is, but sometimes he had a penchant for micro-managing and overdoing it with properties and it looked like he desperately wanted Avengers to be more toyetic and power rangers like. Spider-man Unlimited also turned out the way it did to be more toyetic and kid friendly (spider-man changing outfits and such). Avi Arad isn't managing or producing this show. I jokingly addressed this to Josh Fine and they aren't manipulating this show to have stupid power up/armor up transformation and what not so the show will be more toy friendly. So I mean, THERE YOU GO RIGHT THERE! The intent is to make a pure honest classic Avengers style show.

They are planning 52 episodes. Also right there plans how important they feel the show is that they want an epic length series.

Quote:
JUSTICE LEAGUE and it's successor, JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED are daunting shows to try to match or top. At the same time, they were not infallible or perfect shows; if anything, both needed a full season to find their feet. They were definitely shows that had to crawl before they could walk, and walk before they ran. Yost at the very least has them as hindsight as to what to do right and what to avoid.
Well to me my critique is, Ultimate Avengers, those movies weren't really the Ultimates. There were some similar costumes and events, but overall those shows shared little content wise to the Ultimates comic. Characterizations were much more like the 616 counterparts. So from my perspective, while it was nice to have some edgy Avengers animation, it felt like a somewhat half-baked adaptation of the Ultimates while avoiding the truly shocking and controversial moments that Millar wrote. However, that's good on the other hand because . . . I freaking hate Ultimates. So I'm glad they didn't do most of that.

Quote:
For a comic book analogy, there are some battles where the stakes are so cosmically high that nothing short of excellence is good enough. This is one of those times. Still, I am curious to see, ahem, "unfiltered Yost" on a TV show.
It's not just Yost but also guys like Josh Fine who have done a very good job of steering the ship creatively at Marvel Animation. Basically, the point is the crew does not pervert the style or integrity of the show to make it more toyetic and kid friendly. Yes these characters are marketed and merchandise but the crew sees the brands and the characters themselves as what's marketable and not making stupid armor variations and transformations to make the characters more appealing.

- CM Punk
Old 02-23-2010, 04:06 AM   #114
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
I think you just enjoy standing on your soapbox of skepticism .
Okay, I won't deny that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne
Obviously this isn't going to be a word for word retelling of the comics. So they can adjust the Hulk's story and status with the team. Having Hulk in there adds an interesting X-factor.

Also if you are going to make the Justice League comparison, keep in mind that the series incorporated John Stewart GL and Hawkgirl into the original team's lineup. This was somewhat controversial at the time, but also Timm basically admitted that they needed a more PC lineup and would it be bad if all the members were male or white.

So again I'm not really sure what you are worried or concerned about Dread. You keep bringing up how bad those older shows were, but this looks nothing like the late 90's garbage. We are getting a show with the big 3. And they are going to incorporate Avengers mainstays and milestone characters as far as we know as well.
And there are still some DC fans who didn't like that either Stewart or Hawkgirl were used. Now, the Avengers do have Black Panther as an option to break up the flow of white faces, but that also goes with the comics, since he was created in 1966, ages before DC's Black Lightening. Granted, Wasp is still the token girl of the team, although there weren't too many women on the team until the 70's era, and even then...

I wouldn't expect EXACT re-tellings of the comics. The Silver Age stuff was fine for the time, but a lot of it reads like rubbish now, and even unintentional comedy. Those stories would need some revisions, and some modern interpretations, without just making them "Ultimate". Which it did sound like that was the idea, according to LaMarr.

Hulk is a big X-Factor. It is easy to rely on him too much, especially with characters like Wasp or Pym who the average viewer might not give a spit about. How does one write him on a superhero team? Hulk usually doesn't do things like cooperation or team tactics (unless he's in one of his alternate personalities, but to be honest I don't see a show delving into that; none have since the 90's). Would Banner be part of the team and he merely tries to "aim" the Hulk at their enemies? Of course, as I suggested, it could be part of an arc where the Hulk does eventually leave the team for whatever reasons, only it is played out in a longer span than two issues. Which could work, and provide tension. Having Thor and Hulk on a team is a lot of muscle, and not having Hulk could cause a bit of a flexing gap for some battles afterward.

I will say the more I look at Captain America's design, the more I like it. It looks a bit inspired by Jack Kirby, which is a good thing. Iron Man's helmet makes him look a little dumb-founded, but the mouth-piece is always the trickiest part of his helmet, IMO.

Like I said, in terms of the cast, the show is on the right track so far. It says a lot when the bar for an AVENGERS show is so low, we have to go, "Hey, they have all the characters you'd expect there", but it is what it is, and that's still good. I certainly wouldn't mind Black Panther on the cast as well, long term.

Quote:
He hogs a lot of the animated movies too, check out Crisis on 2 Earths .
I did, actually, via the NYC advanced screening at the Paley Center. I wrote an article about it on Examiner. In their defense, Batman sat out Act 2.

Quote:
I enjoy World's Greatest Heroes a lot. I just think some of the VA's are miscast and it just very much sounds like an Ocean Group Canadian anime dub. So all the Canadian accents just sound a bit iffy at times IMHO.
I actually enjoy Ocean Group dubs, personally. I think part of it was that people expected the show to be more serious, and to handle the action sequences better. The action was a bit mundane and the show struggled to build serious tension; Dr. Doom was often little more menacing than Skeletor was in HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE (least the old version). But that wasn't the strength of the show. The strength was the comedy, and the interaction among the Four. That the show nailed, and once they realized that and focused more on that, from about episode 14 onward, the show viewed a lot better. Dr. Doom is a hard villain to translate, anyway. The Four themselves are a hard franchise, anyway.

But, yeah, it was 2006. JLU had just ended with about as good a finale as anyone could expect. The second Four film flopped. Expectations were high, and Cartoon Network did not treat the show well. Frankly I was stunned Marvel even trusted them with SUPER HERO SQUAD after how poorly they treated FF:WGH. Especially with Disney XD and NickToons as homes for Marvel animation.

Quote:
OK, now this is sort of where I take umbrage. You go on this tangent of THEY BETTER DO IT RIGHT OR THE FANS WILL EAT HIM ALIVE. I mean, what kind of hyperbole is that? I got to be honest, Justice League was not a perfect show and I feel at times they weren't really getting it right. The first season was downright weak storytelling and character wise. I don't feel Unlimited did a good job of juggling the supporting cast. I don't agree with your message that you keep repeating YOU BETTER GET IT RIGHT OR WE WILL BE MADZ AT YOU! Honestly, they owe us nothing and that reason being because I know for a fact that the people working on the show are as big of fans as we are of this stuff. There's literally been no evidence that the show is going down a bad path or that we should doubt the integrity of this show besides that there was a crappy Avengers show that this creative team had nothing to do with. That show honestly looked like an Avi Arad show. I don't mean disrespect to Avi Arad since he did a lot for Marvel and helping get it where he is, but sometimes he had a penchant for micro-managing and overdoing it with properties and it looked like he desperately wanted Avengers to be more toyetic and power rangers like. Spider-man Unlimited also turned out the way it did to be more toyetic and kid friendly (spider-man changing outfits and such). Avi Arad isn't managing or producing this show. I jokingly addressed this to Josh Fine and they aren't manipulating this show to have stupid power up/armor up transformation and what not so the show will be more toy friendly. So I mean, THERE YOU GO RIGHT THERE! The intent is to make a pure honest classic Avengers style show.
That's good. Marvel has been distancing themselves with Arad over the last few years, I believe. The fact that the writers/producers working on the show are fans is good, but sometimes that is only as good as execution, as every show has to modernize stuff, or make hard choices. I imagine the idea to make JARVIS a computer program rather than a loveable butler was itself a choice that had some internal arguments. Although I wouldn't be surprised if we had some episode where JARVIS makes some holographic image of "itself" and, surprise, it looks like a butler.

I thought considering the huge cast, JLU juggled the cast well enough. The 7 core characters usually still got most of the focus, but they spent time trying to introduce and build up a few B-List characters like Green Arrow, Black Canary, Question, and so on. There were some awkward moments and a few wasted episodes. While the Flash got one of the most memorable moments of the series, it came at the expense of countless unflattering ones. No, it wasn't perfect, but I thought it was fine. Many characters were not supposed to be more than background fodder.

AVENGERS: WGH would be wise to not over-indulge on so many characters, but also to realize that no show, ever, can have a full team of 7 members in every episode and flesh them all equally in 19-21 minutes. Each episode should focus on 2-4 members of the team and when you swap them around, eventually you flesh everyone. You don't want to have situations where characters are there to just stand there and not have lines, like some X-Men did in many WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN episodes.

I know they intend to make a good show. Until we see some previews, though, it's always hard to gauge. Blame a cynical market that "trust us" just isn't always enough on the Internet.

Quote:
They are planning 52 episodes. Also right there plans how important they feel the show is that they want an epic length series.
It was a good idea to start production of 52 episodes right off the bat. As TSSM and even W&TXM shows, it can be a chore to restart production once it has stopped. So, it is smart to start doing 2 seasons at once and go from there, so that production may never end if Season 1 is "renewed". I'd argue it is an idea that should have been adopted ages ago, but better late than never. Besides, given how costly animation is, it is likely a strategy that wouldn't be used unless they had so much investment at the start that they could do so.

Quote:
Well to me my critique is, Ultimate Avengers, those movies weren't really the Ultimates. There were some similar costumes and events, but overall those shows shared little content wise to the Ultimates comic. Characterizations were much more like the 616 counterparts. So from my perspective, while it was nice to have some edgy Avengers animation, it felt like a somewhat half-baked adaptation of the Ultimates while avoiding the truly shocking and controversial moments that Millar wrote. However, that's good on the other hand because . . . I freaking hate Ultimates. So I'm glad they didn't do most of that.
I thought ULTIMATE AVENGERS was maybe 50% faithful to the Ultimates #1-6, only not as offensive with the cussing and pop culture references. ULTIMATE AVENGERS 2 was where the "series" delved off course and really only used the Ultimate tagger for designs and whatnot. It was loosely inspired by Ultimates #7-13, but pretty much just because of the choice of villain(s). I do agree that they inserted a lot of 616 stuff into those films, or at least made "Ultimates" a little more like 616 than intended. For the time they were enjoyable and even now are fun, but I've seen better lately.

Quote:
It's not just Yost but also guys like Josh Fine who have done a very good job of steering the ship creatively at Marvel Animation. Basically, the point is the crew does not pervert the style or integrity of the show to make it more toyetic and kid friendly. Yes these characters are marketed and merchandise but the crew sees the brands and the characters themselves as what's marketable and not making stupid armor variations and transformations to make the characters more appealing.
Yeah, Josh Fine is cool. He did an interview after PLANET HULK where he won me over with him stating that even he thought they had "run Hulk into the ground" with animated DTV's before "PLANET HULK", which is of course a new brilliant beast. Imagine, an insider involved saying they over-used Hulk in animation a bit! I was shocked. What next, someone saying they do that with Wolverine?

Honestly, the era of toy sales helping cartoons I think is long past. Kids don't really buy action figures like they did in the 80's and 90's; they're more invested in video games, and out-grow toys sooner, IMO. I'd almost argue at least as many adults buy action figures as kids these days. Shows have to sink or swim on their own, although merchandise of course always helps. At least with younger kids still buying toys, certain characters are almost always popular. Like Hulk or Iron Man, or Spider-Man, or Batman. They were selling BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES toys long after the show had been canceled, for instance.

I'll be more convinced when we see more general promotion for the show, rather than a leaked image now and then and an interview. You have to understand, an optimistic comic book fan is a fan who will always be disappointed. It is very easy to assume the worst of any project, secretly hoping to be proven wrong. Still, I will be very interested in seeing what Fine, Yost, and company bring here. I certainly am ready for a good AVENGERS show that is so awesome it puts JLU in the ground as a relic from the last decade. With DC animation seemingly focused on Dick Sprang Batman or (at best) Young Justice, now is the absolute perfect time for an AVENGERS show, not least with a movie coming. The low bar set in 1999 is an advantage because it really means there is no shadow to overcome, like every X-MEN show has to overcome, or every SPIDER-MAN show. I'm just hoping for a show that, regardless of the low bar, surpasses it and becomes one for the ages. The Avengers deserve nothing less.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #115
Zant
Side-Kick

http://marvel.toonzone.net/news.php?...ullnews&id=504

Coming this fall ,at least something to watch before season 2 of wolverine

Old 03-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #116
deathshead2
Side-Kick

Dang, Disney XD. I don't get that channel. Didn't get NickToons either. I'm kind of surprised it's on Disney XD. Last I heard Disney was canceling all the action shows(they all failed) and were planning to resent that channel as mostly comedy.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #117
KBX
Side-Kick

Quote:
This fall, Disney XD will also unveil a new animated series that looks to build on Disney's $4 billion acquisition of Marvel Entertainment -- "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes," which is based on a clutch of iconic Marvel superheroes that includes Iron Man, Wolverine, Thor and the Incredible Hulk. The strip will set the table for a pair of Avengers-themed theatricals that are slated to hit multiplexes in summer 2011.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...dfb7afe7539cb7

Old 03-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #118
Chewy
REDACTED

Likely a misprint, they probably mean Captain America

Old 03-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #119
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Hollywood Reporter and Variety print ******** synopsis and stuff sometime because their writers don't check their facts and do their research.

Deathshead. You are wrong. Disney XD recently picked up Naruto Shippuden. They are also showing all the 1990's Marvel cartoon shows.

Iron Man and Wolverine and The X-men will probably stay on NickToons.

- CM Punk
Old 03-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #120
Superhero 101
DESI

Wow this Avengers Series looks promising definitely going to be watching this

Old 03-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #121
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero 101 View Post
Wow this Avengers Series looks promising definitely going to be watching this
so is this gonna be like those clone wars shorts, or is it gonna be a half hour long show?

4) The Dark Knight Rises 5) The Incredible Hulk 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World
7)X-Men:Days of Future Past 8) X-Men:First Class 9) Thor 10) Spider-Man 2
Old 03-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #122
lixdexia
Blood Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterax View Post
so is this gonna be like those clone wars shorts, or is it gonna be a half hour long show?
the way i read it they're going to do 20 clone wars style shorts to set up the individual heroes immediately followed by a series of half hour long episodes for the team

dictated, not read.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #123
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Here is an official release from Disney, as reported by our very own Super Hero Hype:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hero Hype & Disney
Disney Channels Worldwide announced its 2010-2011 programming for Disney XD yesterday which includes animated show "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes." Here's the full description:

"The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" -- Further aligning the strength of Marvel's hugely popular characters and stories with the burgeoning Disney XD brand and global reach, an all-new animated series, "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes," will debut in fall 2010 on Disney XD and DisneyXD.com. Beginning with the "Iron Man" and "Incredible Hulk" movies in 2008, the release of "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" follows Marvel's overall "Avengers Assemble" strategy introducing the greatest heroes in the Marvel Universe through various content platforms, including the upcoming feature films "Iron Man 2" in May of 2010, "Thor" in May of 2011 and "Captain America" in July of 2011, all building up to the Avengers theatrical film in 2012. Produced by Marvel Animation, the animated series features 52 episodes targeted at kids 9-14, starring Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, Giant Man and Wasp -- who form the Avengers, a team assembled when no single hero's powers can save the world. A 20-part "micro-series" that focuses on each hero's backstory will roll out in fall 2010 on Disney XD, immediately followed by the series premiere on Disney XD in the U.S. and, shortly thereafter, around the world. Disney XD, the single largest distributor of Marvel content around the world, currently showcases approximately 20 hours of Marvel series (including "The Spectacular Spider-Man," "Fantastic Four" and "Iron Man") each week.
No mention of Wolverine in the Avengers cast there. C'mon, he's not even been rumored to appear in this show. Why would he? He's already starring in his own X-Men show.

It does look like each hero will have some animated shorts broadcast to flesh out their origins for viewers, which isn't a bad promotional idea. I'd argue most people know the origins of Iron Man and Hulk, but it's still a fine idea. It looks like we may see this at the end of the year after all. We may even see some of this before any of W&TXM season 2.

I also did like, as an anxious TSSM fan, that Disney is still promoting the show in official announcements. Getting a third season has become a mess, but it does seem like Disney hasn't forgotten about the show or given up on it.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #124
Silvermoth
Avenger

Ages 9-14. Hmm, I wonder if it will have an all kid cast and be set in a high school like Iron Man: Armoured Avengers.

Could be interesting though I guess.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #125
lixdexia
Blood Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Ages 9-14. Hmm, I wonder if it will have an all kid cast and be set in a high school like Iron Man: Armoured Avengers.

Could be interesting though I guess.
i doubt it...most superhero shows target that demographic primarily.

dictated, not read.
Closed Thread