The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 04-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #76
Nivek
Banned User

Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Like a Cat's.

Any pic pics without the blue wire going in the bulb?

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #77
Nivek
Banned User

*edit* Double Post

Last edited by Nivek; 04-09-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #78
Beanjuice
Human beanjuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by King K View Post
Schrieber/Creed was my favorite aspect of this film.

2nd

Old 04-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #79
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I liked his Sabretooth, He had the right attitude. I just wished he looked like Sabretooth.
Tbh Liev looks a lot more like my ideal version of Creed than Mane did. The way his face contorts when he snarls.....perfecto

DarthDaveBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #80
CelticPredator
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
Can someone elaborate on his claws extending?
Well you see....his claws...come out of his finger tips....like a cat.

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #81
Silverglade
Side-Kick

I still have not watched the leak. I am holding back until May 1. Some of my friends saw it and they all reassured me Liev is kickass in this. I cannot frickin wait. I want to see the war scenes.

Silverglade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #82
Son Of Logan
Weapon X

Liev is indeed the finest thing about this film. Hugh is awesome as usual, but Liev is spot on amazing.

Son Of Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #83
Nathan

Liev, IMO, outshines Hugh. He was the best in X1 and X2. In X3 they started to neuter his character. In Origins he got neutered even more.

Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #84
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Liev, IMO, outshines Hugh. He was the best in X1 and X2. In X3 they started to neuter his character. In Origins he got neutered even more.
I feel exactly the same way. I enjoyed Liev in this movie more then I did Hugh.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #85
shigsy2003
I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON!!!

Liev was great. I was surprised since I was worried when he was cast but any doubt I had was swiftly erased. He had a very cool intro and outro. Although his character is completely different to Mane's, it is one of the inconcistencies I can forgive due to the fact that for now I think of them as different characters all together. Sabertooth was in X1 and Creed was in Origins. Similar mutations but different characters. Unless Wolverine 2 decides to include Creed and make him transform into something like Mane's interpretation....(which I doubt as they didn't bother with anything else).

Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #86
Nivek
Banned User

Maybe they just call him Victor or Creed, and never Sabretooth.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #87
hero79
Side-Kick

This is by far the worst casting of a character to come along since Arnold Swarchenegger as Mr. Freeze.

They had the perfect guy to begin with in Tyler Mane.

hero79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #88
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero79 View Post
This is by far the worst casting of a character to come along since Arnold Swarchenegger as Mr. Freeze.

They had the perfect guy to begin with in Tyler Mane.
Swing and a Miss
I did like Tyler Mane's Sabretooth, he was certainly feral like a mother ****er, but I wouldn't say it was as bad as the Mr. Freeze screw-up

Old 04-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #89
hero79
Side-Kick

That actor looks nothing like the character they even created for the first film. He's not even tall like Sabretooth should be and I hope he doesn't call him runt like in the books because that wouldn't make any sense.

So yeah I think its just as bad as the Mr. Freeze casting choice. But that's just me.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #90
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

The X1 version of Sabertooth was terrible and so was Maine. Liev was awesome eventhough he spouted out nothing but cliched dialogue.

You are intitled to your opinion though and I respect it.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #91
hero79
Side-Kick

I respect your opinion as well, but you have to admit shouldn't Sabretooth be a bit bigger than Wolverine? Jackman and that actor are about the same size. Maybe they should have given him some lifts to make him seem taller?

I don't have a problem with the actor as an actor. I like him a lot and he's good at playing weird characters, but he just doesn't do it for me as Sabretooth.

Comic books are a visual medium and I believe you should cast the roles as close as possible to the character presented in the book. Now I don't mean the actual look (the Sabretooth from the comics would look stupid on film) but the general sense that this is who this character is.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:34 AM   #92
Peter McCabe
Banned User

Quote:
I respect your opinion as well, but you have to admit shouldn't Sabretooth be a bit bigger than Wolverine? Jackman and that actor are about the same size. Maybe they should have given him some lifts to make him seem taller?

I don't have a problem with the actor as an actor. I like him a lot and he's good at playing weird characters, but he just doesn't do it for me as Sabretooth.

Comic books are a visual medium and I believe you should cast the roles as close as possible to the character presented in the book. Now I don't mean the actual look (the Sabretooth from the comics would look stupid on film) but the general sense that this is who this character is.
You're contradicting yourself and putting too much stock in a miniscule quality as height.

This take on Sabretooth is more about making him closer to Wolverine than different.

Its his brother here, not his ultimate oposite.

If you can put aside the fact that Sabretooth is a 7 foot beast in the comic and Wolverine is a 5 foot ninja, you'll see this works wonders on the big screen.

Liev's casting was brilliant, as was Jackman's 10 years ago.

Peter McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:20 AM   #93
hero79
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McCabe View Post
You're contradicting yourself and putting too much stock in a miniscule quality as height.

This take on Sabretooth is more about making him closer to Wolverine than different.

Its his brother here, not his ultimate oposite.

If you can put aside the fact that Sabretooth is a 7 foot beast in the comic and Wolverine is a 5 foot ninja, you'll see this works wonders on the big screen.

Liev's casting was brilliant, as was Jackman's 10 years ago.
Sorry, again comics are a visual medium and Liev makes no impression of that character at all. He might act the part well, but that doesn't make him that character.

Tyler Mane had the look down for a screen version of Sabretooth. If they were afraid his acting wouldn't be up to par (which I think it would've) then get a method actor to dub over his voice. Like Ray Park in Phantom Menace as Darth Maul.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:23 AM   #94
Peter McCabe
Banned User

Quote:
Sorry, again comics are a visual medium and Liev makes no impression of that character at all. He might act the part well, but that doesn't make him that character.
Liev is not playing that character, and neither is Jackman.

Once you accept that, you will be able to see that these are two completely different takes on Wolverine and Sabretooth.

Visual medium to you, not at all to the people that made this movie.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:02 AM   #95
hero79
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McCabe View Post
Liev is not playing that character, and neither is Jackman.

Once you accept that, you will be able to see that these are two completely different takes on Wolverine and Sabretooth.

Visual medium to you, not at all to the people that made this movie.
You just summed why we have all these crappy comic book movies that come out from Fox. You're right on the money. They don't look at from a visual stand point. If they did Jennifer Gardner would not have been cast as Electra.

And on a side note, have you seen what Cobra Commander looks like for the GI Joe movie!?! It doesn't look like the character on any level and when you alter something that much its not the character anymore. It's something else entirely. Why not just change the name?

Casting is crucial when making a comic book movie. Most of the time they choose they most ridiculous people for the roles. Dr. Doom anyone? Who was that guy again?

But thankfully they got Wolverine right. That's the only reason I like the X-men films.

But to be honest I have a lot more problems with this film than the casting of Sabretooth and from most of the reviews coming out my fears were right. Workprint or not it will most likely be the same film.

If it works for you fine, and fair enough. But I'm picky. I'll be the first to admit it. But again if you enjoy it then you have every right too. I'm sure a lot of others will like it as well.

Last edited by hero79; 04-12-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:25 AM   #96
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

You're right, Liev looks nothing like Sabretooth, because Sabretooth is ALWAYS furry and feral.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:28 AM   #97
Peter McCabe
Banned User

Thumbs up Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
You just summed why we have all these crappy comic book movies that come out from Fox. You're right on the money. They don't look at from a visual stand point. If they did Jennifer Gardner would not have been cast as Electra.

Casting is crucial when making a comic book movie. Most of the time they choose they most ridiculous people for the roles. Dr. Doom anyone? Who was that guy again?

But thankfully they got Wolverine right. That's the only reason I like the X-men films.

But to be honest I have a lot more problems with this film than the casting of Sabretooth and from most of the reviews coming out my fears were right. Workprint or not it will most likely be the same film.

If it works for you fine, and fair enough. But I'm picky. I'll be the first to admit it. But again if you enjoy it then you have every right too. I'm sure a lot of others will like it as well.
I'm with you on Garner's Elektra and to a certain extent McMahon's Doom.

But you can't really compare them to Liev's Creed.

Liev's casting was very inspired and thought out. Jackman had been scoping him out since X3, since he realized that a Wolverine movie was no longer out of the question. He cast a clone of himself to play his brother. To play the greatest antagonist he would ever face on screen. He cast someone he wouldn't mind giving up the show to.

What Johnson did with Elektra was just ridiculous - he's just not very bright, at least not most of the time (Sam Elliot's casting in Ghost Rider was genius).

Jennifer Garner was a terrrible choice for Elektra, but like Alba in FF4, she was eye candy for the kids and that meant more money for the movie. Nolan pulled that same stunt with Katie Holmes in Batman Begins, she was the weakest actress in a movie with powerhouses like Neeson, Oldman, Murphy, Freeman and Bale.

*Now, what Tim Story tried to do with Julian McMahon was a very creative concept that didn't work for the adult crowd because it was placed in a kid movie.

"5 people will change forever. 1 will be bad. 4 will be Fantastic."

That had great potential, and I was stoked to see the movie. Then I saw it and realized they had made a kid friendly superhero movie and wasted some great concepts that differed from the source material.

To make Doom one of the actual 4 (or 5) is a very intelligent move. It obviously is far off from the source material, but that's what adapting is all about - you make changes that are sometimes improvements.

Now sometimes changes don't need to be made, but sometimes when they're made, not only do they work better - but they sit better with general audiences that aren't big on comic book fantasy.

Making Creed Wolverine's brother was not something original by the crew of this film. Its something a portion of us has been suspecting since these two started scrapping on the pages of X-Factor during The Mutant Massacre. Then came ORIGIN, which basically indulged that idea even further (supposedly indirectly).

When I heard that Liev was playing Creed, it all made sense to me immediately.

It wasn't the film makers taking the easy way out, it was Jackman and Hood doing something wonderful for a character Bryan Singer truly mistreated in the first film.

It strays a great deal from the character in the books, but as I've mentioned earlier - so does Jackman.

Jackman brought in a mix of Clint Eastwood and Mad Max back in 2000, and now Liev is playing that version of Jackman - gone bad.

Elektra's casting was crap, same goes for Kingpin. Doom's casting had potential, but it was wasted in a popcorn movie for 10-year-olds.

Liev's casting is as creative as you can get and it will change the way we look at Sabretooth and his relationship with Wolverine, forever

Old 04-12-2009, 03:41 AM   #98
Project862006
Banned User

liev is leaps and bounds better tan tyler last time i checked the sabertooth i know was very cocky and an ******* yet an animal at the same time tyler was just a mindless grunt henchmen

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:51 AM   #99
Nathan

To be fair, Tyler didn't have the chance to show us whether he could be cocky, smart and sadistic. He barely had any lines.

Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:59 AM   #100
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
To be fair, Tyler didn't have the chance to show us whether he could be cocky, smart and sadistic. He barely had any lines.
See, I always wanted to know what Mane could have really done if they would have just given him some lines and presence. I liked what he dished out with his scream for me stuff, he probably could have done much more if they had let him, but as I've said countless times before this is just another take on the same character. It's like Ultimate X-Men VS Uncanny X-Men.