The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 04-12-2009, 03:15 AM   #101
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo

Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

I am fine with both portrayals of Sabretooth, I think they are both accurate to the comic book character.

The Sabretooth in X-Men Origins: Wolverine would be my favorite movie version of him, because he is tons more fleshed out.

Sabretooth in X-Men is like Juggernaut in X-Men: The Last Stand. What's there is -accurate- to the character, there just isn't really much there for you to get to know the character.

Includes movie information, timeline theories, character bios, and more!
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:33 AM   #102
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Statistically speaking Liev is only two inches shorter than Creed is in the comics so I don't get where the "he's too short" arguments are coming from.

DarthDaveBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #103
Rac
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
You're right, Liev looks nothing like Sabretooth, because Sabretooth is ALWAYS furry and feral.
More Liev looking Sabretooth:

Old 04-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #104
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac View Post
Yup.

Won't change anything though.

I remember when X-Men 3 came out, all of the complaining about Juggernaut's look. Somebody posted a comic panel of Juggernaut looking EXACTLY like he does in the movie, but people still continued to complain about it.

It's not what they know, so they will continue to complain about it until it changes. And since it never will, the complaining will continue forever.

Includes movie information, timeline theories, character bios, and more!
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #105
Nivek
Banned User

Quote:
Somebody posted a comic panel of Juggernaut looking EXACTLY like he does in the movie, but people still continued to complain about it.
So because some artist drew him in some junky costume, it was supposed to make it okay?

I really liked Liev in this film, he steals the show. Unfortunately, his character highlights everything wrong with how Logan/ Jimmy is portrayed in this.

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #106
hero79
Side-Kick

He looks nothing like the character at all. And those pics someone else posted still prove that he looks nothing like the character. Yes, its obvious they used that design for this film, but I'm still not sold.

He's not just taller either but his muscle mass is much thicker too. Put Tyler in the gym for a few months and he could look like this. He used to be a wrestler.

He's not just a few inches taller than Wolvie.

He's crouching down in this pic but if he was to stand up he'd be towering over Wolvie.

Quote:
Yup.

I remember when X-Men 3 came out, all of the complaining about Juggernaut's look. Somebody posted a comic panel of Juggernaut looking EXACTLY like he does in the movie, but people still continued to complain about it.

It's not what they know, so they will continue to complain about it until it changes. And since it never will, the complaining will continue forever.
Pretty much.

Last edited by hero79; 04-12-2009 at 12:01 PM.
hero79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #107
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac View Post

LOL, Deadpool is hilarious.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #108
Peter McCabe
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero79 View Post
He looks nothing like the character at all.
He looks completely like the character he is playing - NOT the character you keep thinking he was trying to play.

Quote:
And those pics someone else posted still prove that he looks nothing like the character. Yes, its obvious they used that design for this film, but I'm still not sold. He's not just taller either but his muscle mass is much thicker too.
This has nothing to do with muscle mass. This is a Golden Globe Nominee and Tony winner. Muscle Mass doesn't matter.

Quote:
Put Tyler in the gym for a few months and he could look like this. He used to be a wrestler.
Tyler Mane can't act.

Quote:
He's not just a few inches taller than Wolvie. He's crouching down in this pic but if he was to stand up he'd be towering over Wolvie.
Liev was never supposed to tower over 6'3" Hugh Jackman.

You will never be sold on this because you're lookin to buy something that just isn't for sale.

Hugh Jackman IS NOT playing the Wolverine from the comics.

Liev Schreiber IS NOT playing the Sabretooth from the comics.

They are playing different takes, variations of those characters.

The characters are used as inspirations, not as bibles.

Peter McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #109
hero79
Side-Kick

We can keep going around and around on this but bottom line is I think it sucks and this isn't what Sabretooth should be. PERIOD!!!! It's just more proof that Fox doesn't have a clue when making a comic book movies. Their track record speaks for itself.

I think my points are valid and I'm sure others will agree with me, some won't. That's okay.

And I told you before if you like it so much that's fine but don't expect me too.

END OF TRANSMISSION

Old 04-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #110
Matt Mortem
Perpetual Screwup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McCabe View Post
Liev was never supposed to tower over 6'3" Hugh Jackman.

You will never be sold on this because you're lookin to buy something that just isn't for sale.

Hugh Jackman IS NOT playing the Wolverine from the comics.

Liev Schreiber IS NOT playing the Sabretooth from the comics.

They are playing different takes, variations of those characters.

The characters are used as inspirations, not as bibles.
EXACTLY. The quicker people get that through their heads the faster the whining will stop. It's just different takes on the characters. That's all.

Matt Mortem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #111
hero79
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
EXACTLY. The quicker people get that through their heads the faster the whining will stop. It's just different takes on the characters. That's all.
Whining? I call it being passionate about something I don't want to see get f'ed up. If that's whining then so be it.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #112
Peter McCabe
Banned User

Quote:
We can keep going around and around on this but bottom line is I think it sucks and this isn't what Sabretooth should be. PERIOD!!!!
yeah, because Sabretooth should be a big 7 foot waste of space, preferably a wrestler

Quote:
It's just more proof that Fox doesn't have a clue when making a comic book movies. Their track record speaks for itself.
Blah, Blah, Blah. Fox sucks, Tom Rothman is satan, etc.

*Liev's casting was 100% Hugh Jackman's doing, so this is the wrong place to bring in the very boring FOX bashing argument.

Quote:
I think my points are valid and I'm sure others will agree with some me, some won't. That's okay.
Your points are as valid as they are dumb. To suggest a BIGGER Sabretooth would be a better choice than an intelligent Sabretooth is just ignorant.

Its a very poor argument to make, and it usually comes from fanboys that still think Wolverine should be 5 feet tall and should be wearing the yellow and blue costume

Quote:
And I told you before if you like it so much that's fine but don't expect me too.

END OF TRANSMISSION
I thought your argument had substance at first, as many others have expressed their very valid preference for the Father/Son mortal enemy Sabretooth in favor of Liev's brother to Wolverine/Dog Logan Sabretooth.

Obviously all you want is a 7 foot wrestler than can tower over Hugh Jackman. Acting is just not that important to you when it comes to Sabretooth.

sigh.

Peter McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #113
hero79
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter mccabe View Post
yeah, because sabretooth should be a big 7 foot waste of space, preferably a wrestler

Blah, blah, blah. Fox sucks, tom rothman is satan, etc.

*liev's casting was 100% hugh jackman's doing, so this is the wrong place to bring in the very boring fox bashing argument.

Your points are as valid as they are dumb. To suggest a bigger sabretooth would be a better choice than an intelligent sabretooth is just ignorant.

Its a very poor argument to make, and it usually comes from fanboys that still think wolverine should be 5 feet tall and should be wearing the yellow and blue costume

I thought your argument had substance at first, as many others have expressed their very valid preference for the father/son mortal enemy sabretooth in favor of liev's brother to wolverine/dog logan sabretooth.

Obviously all you want is a 7 foot wrestler than can tower over hugh jackman. Acting is just not that important to you when it comes to sabretooth.

Sigh.
lol! And yes Tom Rothman is Satan! See you're getting it!

Old 04-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #114
Matt Mortem
Perpetual Screwup

Quote:
Whining? I call it being passionate about something I don't want to see get f'ed up. If that's whining then so be it.
Deadpool is ****ing a character up. What they did with Sabretooth is not. Look if Wolverine was actually 5'3" and Sabretooth was 6' whatever it would look ridiculous in everyway. I also think having a huge Sabretooth would not have worked in this film because they made them brothers. Sure in the comics they are not brothers, but in the film and the way they're going with it, it all works out.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #115
hero79
Side-Kick

Yes, Deadpool is another character they completely ****ed up!!!!

And having a tall Sabretooth would work just fine. It would just show how much of a badass Wolvie is anyway. That's why I love the fight scene between Wolvie and Sabretooth in the first film.

Last edited by hero79; 04-12-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #116
Matt Mortem
Perpetual Screwup

Quote:
Yes, Deadpool is another character they completely ****ed up!!!!

And having a tall Sabretooth would work just fine. It would just show how much of a badass Wolvie is anyway. That's why I love the fight scene between Wolvie and Sabretooth in the first film.
True, that fight was fantastic, however since they are portrayed as brothers have a tall sabes wouldn't work. They're trying to do a mirror image type thing, Sabes is a man embracing the beast, Wolvie is trying to suppress it.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #117
Goodfellas
Side-Kick

I just wish Sabretooth didn't have the cliche black trenchcoat look that every movie villain has

Goodfellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #118
hero79
Side-Kick

From the first 45 minutes I saw Liev did a pretty good job. I still don't like the look and wish he was bigger, but he delivered through his body language and his menacing voice. So I give him that much. And the coat isn't a big deal. At least not to me.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #119
rayc1971
Side-Kick

i dont care that liev didnt look like sabertooh in the comics he did a dasm good job in the role he and gambit were the best parts of the film for me.

rayc1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #120
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yup.

I'm curious if anyone has this pic?

Or are you talking about the Ultimate X-men version of Juggernaut coz i think the majority of the complaints about Juggernaut in X3 is his dumb looking helmet and Ultimate Juggernaut most certainly does not sport that dumb-looking helmet.

Last edited by EnDz0n3; 04-13-2009 at 12:07 AM.
EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #121
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Anyone got a picture of Sabretooth holding the lightbulb, desktop size?

It's not desktop sized but there's a higher res. one over at comicscontinuum.com < link

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #122
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Anyone seen the new vid?

HOLY CRAP!

Liev is terrifying.

DarthDaveBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #123
batboy99
BTVS

For those complaining about his looks, its IMPOSSIBLE for ANYONE to look exactly like the comic character. Wanna know why? Because there is not one consistant look. Every artist has their own style. There is a basic look. For Sabertooh, its tall, fearless, sinister and ''animalistic''. You cant complain about something like facial structure etc(unless their facial structure is WAY off, like Alison Pill as Catwoman or something, the girl looks like a tomato). And about his height, again alot of artists draw him differently. Alot make him average height, some a little taller, and soem make him HUGE. Its unrealistic t owant tha,t because not many people can be like, 9 ft tall. Liev was a little smaller interms of muscles, but oh well. If you want soemone with huge muscles, look at any wrestlers, but I guarentee you they wouldnt give a performance a quarter as good as Liev's. All in all, the performance is more important, but obvisoly the person has to resembles the character on some level. I wouldnt want Meryl Streep as Catwoman.The woman is so good in her field, but she is 1) too old 2) doesnt resemble the character at all. Anyways, again, you cant expect him to look exactly like Sabertooth, because every artist has a different style. I do however think they could have lightened his hair up a bit.
Ive had this same discussion about Taylor Kitsch as Gambit and this is exactly what I said.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!

Last edited by batboy99; 04-13-2009 at 04:14 PM.
batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #124
Matt Mortem
Perpetual Screwup

Well I **** a small chicken when I saw that Sabertooh profile. That IS sabretooth. ****ing Awesome!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #125
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy99 View Post
For those complaining about his looks, its IMPOSSIBLE for ANYONE to look exactly like the comic character. Wanna know why? Because there is not one consistant look. Every artist has their own style. There is a basic look. For Sabertooh, its tall, fearless, sinister and ''animalistic''. You cant complain about something like facial structure etc(unless their facial structure is WAY off, like Alison Pill as Catwoman or something, the girl looks like a tomato). And about his height, again alot of artists draw him differently. Alot make him average height, some a little taller, and soem make him HUGE. Its unrealistic t owant tha,t because not many people can be like, 9 ft tall. Liev was a little smaller interms of muscles, but oh well. If you want soemone with huge muscles, look at any wrestlers, but I guarentee you they wouldnt give a performance a quarter as good as Liev's. All in all, the performance is more important, but obvisoly the person has to resembles the character on some level. I wouldnt want Meryl Streep as Catwoman.The woman is so good in her field, but she is 1) too old 2) doesnt resemble the character at all. Anyways, again, you cant expect him to look exactly like Sabertooth, because every artist has a different style. I do however think they could have lightened his hair up a bit.
Ive had this same discussion about Taylor Kitsch as Gambit and this is exactly what I said.
I agree, but I think they should have at least made him blonde. If there is one thing that's consistent for Sabretooth, it's that he's blonde. That's the only thing appearance wise that irks me. He would be a lot easier to identify with blonde hair, since Creed has had short hair in the comics.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote