The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 03:15 AM   #101
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,625
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

I am fine with both portrayals of Sabretooth, I think they are both accurate to the comic book character.

The Sabretooth in X-Men Origins: Wolverine would be my favorite movie version of him, because he is tons more fleshed out.

Sabretooth in X-Men is like Juggernaut in X-Men: The Last Stand. What's there is -accurate- to the character, there just isn't really much there for you to get to know the character.

__________________
My X-Men Movies Encyclopedia
(Still a work in progress)

Includes movie information, timeline theories, character bios, and more!
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:33 AM   #102
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick
 
DarthDaveBanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lan-dahn
Posts: 1,014
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Statistically speaking Liev is only two inches shorter than Creed is in the comics so I don't get where the "he's too short" arguments are coming from.

DarthDaveBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #103
Rac
Deadite
 
Rac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland
Posts: 6,371
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
You're right, Liev looks nothing like Sabretooth, because Sabretooth is ALWAYS furry and feral.
More Liev looking Sabretooth:


__________________
"But I did stay very true not only to the first two movies but to the comic books." -Brett Ratner on X3
"I'm ready to go to war against them, but I can't because they don't give a s--t." -Mathieu Kassovitz on 20th Century Fox
Rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #104
Nell2ThaIzzay
Johnny Russo
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,625
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac View Post
More Liev looking Sabretooth:
Yup.

Won't change anything though.

I remember when X-Men 3 came out, all of the complaining about Juggernaut's look. Somebody posted a comic panel of Juggernaut looking EXACTLY like he does in the movie, but people still continued to complain about it.

It's not what they know, so they will continue to complain about it until it changes. And since it never will, the complaining will continue forever.

__________________
My X-Men Movies Encyclopedia
(Still a work in progress)

Includes movie information, timeline theories, character bios, and more!
Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #105
Nivek
Banned User
 
Nivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Central FL
Posts: 14,850
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Somebody posted a comic panel of Juggernaut looking EXACTLY like he does in the movie, but people still continued to complain about it.
So because some artist drew him in some junky costume, it was supposed to make it okay?

I really liked Liev in this film, he steals the show. Unfortunately, his character highlights everything wrong with how Logan/ Jimmy is portrayed in this.

Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #106
hero79
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 281
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread



He looks nothing like the character at all. And those pics someone else posted still prove that he looks nothing like the character. Yes, its obvious they used that design for this film, but I'm still not sold.




He's not just taller either but his muscle mass is much thicker too. Put Tyler in the gym for a few months and he could look like this. He used to be a wrestler.



He's not just a few inches taller than Wolvie.



He's crouching down in this pic but if he was to stand up he'd be towering over Wolvie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Yup.

Won't change anything though.

I remember when X-Men 3 came out, all of the complaining about Juggernaut's look. Somebody posted a comic panel of Juggernaut looking EXACTLY like he does in the movie, but people still continued to complain about it.

It's not what they know, so they will continue to complain about it until it changes. And since it never will, the complaining will continue forever.
Pretty much.


Last edited by hero79; 04-12-2009 at 12:01 PM.
hero79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #107
squeekness
The mighty squeek!
 
squeekness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Not writing near fast enough
Posts: 66,274
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac View Post
More Liev looking Sabretooth:

LOL, Deadpool is hilarious.

__________________
Please read my X-men fanfiction. There's pictures!

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #108
Peter McCabe
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero79 View Post
He looks nothing like the character at all.
He looks completely like the character he is playing - NOT the character you keep thinking he was trying to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero79 View Post
And those pics someone else posted still prove that he looks nothing like the character. Yes, its obvious they used that design for this film, but I'm still not sold. He's not just taller either but his muscle mass is much thicker too.
This has nothing to do with muscle mass. This is a Golden Globe Nominee and Tony winner. Muscle Mass doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero79 View Post
Put Tyler in the gym for a few months and he could look like this. He used to be a wrestler.
Tyler Mane can't act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero79 View Post
He's not just a few inches taller than Wolvie. He's crouching down in this pic but if he was to stand up he'd be towering over Wolvie.
Liev was never supposed to tower over 6'3" Hugh Jackman.

You will never be sold on this because you're lookin to buy something that just isn't for sale.

Hugh Jackman IS NOT playing the Wolverine from the comics.

Liev Schreiber IS NOT playing the Sabretooth from the comics.

They are playing different takes, variations of those characters.

The characters are used as inspirations, not as bibles.

Peter McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #109
hero79
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 281
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

We can keep going around and around on this but bottom line is I think it sucks and this isn't what Sabretooth should be. PERIOD!!!! It's just more proof that Fox doesn't have a clue when making a comic book movies. Their track record speaks for itself.

I think my points are valid and I'm sure others will agree with me, some won't. That's okay.

And I told you before if you like it so much that's fine but don't expect me too.

END OF TRANSMISSION

hero79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #110
Matt Mortem
Perpetual Screwup
 
Matt Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Mattcave
Posts: 12,157
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McCabe View Post
Liev was never supposed to tower over 6'3" Hugh Jackman.

You will never be sold on this because you're lookin to buy something that just isn't for sale.

Hugh Jackman IS NOT playing the Wolverine from the comics.

Liev Schreiber IS NOT playing the Sabretooth from the comics.

They are playing different takes, variations of those characters.

The characters are used as inspirations, not as bibles.
EXACTLY. The quicker people get that through their heads the faster the whining will stop. It's just different takes on the characters. That's all.

Matt Mortem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #111
hero79
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 281
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
EXACTLY. The quicker people get that through their heads the faster the whining will stop. It's just different takes on the characters. That's all.
Whining? I call it being passionate about something I don't want to see get f'ed up. If that's whining then so be it.

hero79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #112
Peter McCabe
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero79 View Post
We can keep going around and around on this but bottom line is I think it sucks and this isn't what Sabretooth should be. PERIOD!!!!
yeah, because Sabretooth should be a big 7 foot waste of space, preferably a wrestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero79 View Post
It's just more proof that Fox doesn't have a clue when making a comic book movies. Their track record speaks for itself.
Blah, Blah, Blah. Fox sucks, Tom Rothman is satan, etc.

*Liev's casting was 100% Hugh Jackman's doing, so this is the wrong place to bring in the very boring FOX bashing argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero79 View Post
I think my points are valid and I'm sure others will agree with some me, some won't. That's okay.
Your points are as valid as they are dumb. To suggest a BIGGER Sabretooth would be a better choice than an intelligent Sabretooth is just ignorant.

Its a very poor argument to make, and it usually comes from fanboys that still think Wolverine should be 5 feet tall and should be wearing the yellow and blue costume

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero79 View Post
And I told you before if you like it so much that's fine but don't expect me too.

END OF TRANSMISSION
I thought your argument had substance at first, as many others have expressed their very valid preference for the Father/Son mortal enemy Sabretooth in favor of Liev's brother to Wolverine/Dog Logan Sabretooth.

Obviously all you want is a 7 foot wrestler than can tower over Hugh Jackman. Acting is just not that important to you when it comes to Sabretooth.

sigh.

Peter McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #113
hero79
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 281
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter mccabe View Post
yeah, because sabretooth should be a big 7 foot waste of space, preferably a wrestler



Blah, blah, blah. Fox sucks, tom rothman is satan, etc.

*liev's casting was 100% hugh jackman's doing, so this is the wrong place to bring in the very boring fox bashing argument.



Your points are as valid as they are dumb. To suggest a bigger sabretooth would be a better choice than an intelligent sabretooth is just ignorant.

Its a very poor argument to make, and it usually comes from fanboys that still think wolverine should be 5 feet tall and should be wearing the yellow and blue costume



I thought your argument had substance at first, as many others have expressed their very valid preference for the father/son mortal enemy sabretooth in favor of liev's brother to wolverine/dog logan sabretooth.

Obviously all you want is a 7 foot wrestler than can tower over hugh jackman. Acting is just not that important to you when it comes to sabretooth.

Sigh.
lol! And yes Tom Rothman is Satan! See you're getting it!

hero79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #114
Matt Mortem
Perpetual Screwup
 
Matt Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Mattcave
Posts: 12,157
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero79 View Post
Whining? I call it being passionate about something I don't want to see get f'ed up. If that's whining then so be it.
Deadpool is ****ing a character up. What they did with Sabretooth is not. Look if Wolverine was actually 5'3" and Sabretooth was 6' whatever it would look ridiculous in everyway. I also think having a huge Sabretooth would not have worked in this film because they made them brothers. Sure in the comics they are not brothers, but in the film and the way they're going with it, it all works out.

Matt Mortem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #115
hero79
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 281
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Yes, Deadpool is another character they completely ****ed up!!!!

And having a tall Sabretooth would work just fine. It would just show how much of a badass Wolvie is anyway. That's why I love the fight scene between Wolvie and Sabretooth in the first film.


Last edited by hero79; 04-12-2009 at 02:37 PM.
hero79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #116
Matt Mortem
Perpetual Screwup
 
Matt Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Mattcave
Posts: 12,157
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero79 View Post
Yes, Deadpool is another character they completely ****ed up!!!!

And having a tall Sabretooth would work just fine. It would just show how much of a badass Wolvie is anyway. That's why I love the fight scene between Wolvie and Sabretooth in the first film.
True, that fight was fantastic, however since they are portrayed as brothers have a tall sabes wouldn't work. They're trying to do a mirror image type thing, Sabes is a man embracing the beast, Wolvie is trying to suppress it.

Matt Mortem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #117
Goodfellas
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 306
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

I just wish Sabretooth didn't have the cliche black trenchcoat look that every movie villain has

Goodfellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #118
hero79
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 281
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

From the first 45 minutes I saw Liev did a pretty good job. I still don't like the look and wish he was bigger, but he delivered through his body language and his menacing voice. So I give him that much. And the coat isn't a big deal. At least not to me.

hero79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #119
rayc1971
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,063
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

i dont care that liev didnt look like sabertooh in the comics he did a dasm good job in the role he and gambit were the best parts of the film for me.

rayc1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #120
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick
 
EnDz0n3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,055
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Yup.

Won't change anything though.

I remember when X-Men 3 came out, all of the complaining about Juggernaut's look. Somebody posted a comic panel of Juggernaut looking EXACTLY like he does in the movie, but people still continued to complain about it.
I'm curious if anyone has this pic?

Or are you talking about the Ultimate X-men version of Juggernaut coz i think the majority of the complaints about Juggernaut in X3 is his dumb looking helmet and Ultimate Juggernaut most certainly does not sport that dumb-looking helmet.


Last edited by EnDz0n3; 04-13-2009 at 12:07 AM.
EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #121
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick
 
EnDz0n3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,055
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Anyone got a picture of Sabretooth holding the lightbulb, desktop size?

It's not desktop sized but there's a higher res. one over at comicscontinuum.com < link

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #122
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick
 
DarthDaveBanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lan-dahn
Posts: 1,014
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Anyone seen the new vid?

HOLY CRAP!

Liev is terrifying.

DarthDaveBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #123
batboy99
BTVS
 
batboy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,120
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

For those complaining about his looks, its IMPOSSIBLE for ANYONE to look exactly like the comic character. Wanna know why? Because there is not one consistant look. Every artist has their own style. There is a basic look. For Sabertooh, its tall, fearless, sinister and ''animalistic''. You cant complain about something like facial structure etc(unless their facial structure is WAY off, like Alison Pill as Catwoman or something, the girl looks like a tomato). And about his height, again alot of artists draw him differently. Alot make him average height, some a little taller, and soem make him HUGE. Its unrealistic t owant tha,t because not many people can be like, 9 ft tall. Liev was a little smaller interms of muscles, but oh well. If you want soemone with huge muscles, look at any wrestlers, but I guarentee you they wouldnt give a performance a quarter as good as Liev's. All in all, the performance is more important, but obvisoly the person has to resembles the character on some level. I wouldnt want Meryl Streep as Catwoman.The woman is so good in her field, but she is 1) too old 2) doesnt resemble the character at all. Anyways, again, you cant expect him to look exactly like Sabertooth, because every artist has a different style. I do however think they could have lightened his hair up a bit.
Ive had this same discussion about Taylor Kitsch as Gambit and this is exactly what I said.

__________________
'' As beautiful as Aphrodite, as wise as
Athena, swifter than Hermes, and
Stronger than Hercules.''
DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!

Last edited by batboy99; 04-13-2009 at 04:14 PM.
batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #124
Matt Mortem
Perpetual Screwup
 
Matt Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Mattcave
Posts: 12,157
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Well I **** a small chicken when I saw that Sabertooh profile. That IS sabretooth. ****ing Awesome!

Matt Mortem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #125
Deaths Head II
The Sequel
 
Deaths Head II's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,079
Default Re: The Liev Schrieber/Sabretooth thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy99 View Post
For those complaining about his looks, its IMPOSSIBLE for ANYONE to look exactly like the comic character. Wanna know why? Because there is not one consistant look. Every artist has their own style. There is a basic look. For Sabertooh, its tall, fearless, sinister and ''animalistic''. You cant complain about something like facial structure etc(unless their facial structure is WAY off, like Alison Pill as Catwoman or something, the girl looks like a tomato). And about his height, again alot of artists draw him differently. Alot make him average height, some a little taller, and soem make him HUGE. Its unrealistic t owant tha,t because not many people can be like, 9 ft tall. Liev was a little smaller interms of muscles, but oh well. If you want soemone with huge muscles, look at any wrestlers, but I guarentee you they wouldnt give a performance a quarter as good as Liev's. All in all, the performance is more important, but obvisoly the person has to resembles the character on some level. I wouldnt want Meryl Streep as Catwoman.The woman is so good in her field, but she is 1) too old 2) doesnt resemble the character at all. Anyways, again, you cant expect him to look exactly like Sabertooth, because every artist has a different style. I do however think they could have lightened his hair up a bit.
Ive had this same discussion about Taylor Kitsch as Gambit and this is exactly what I said.
I agree, but I think they should have at least made him blonde. If there is one thing that's consistent for Sabretooth, it's that he's blonde. That's the only thing appearance wise that irks me. He would be a lot easier to identify with blonde hair, since Creed has had short hair in the comics.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Ellis
Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.