The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

View Poll Results: Did Batman & Robin scare Fox away from giving the X-Men colourful costumes?
I think it did. It seemed the audience didn't want movies too comicky 3 27.27%
Maybe, they knew they had a serious movie with theme & they didn't think kooky costume would fit 6 54.55%
Not really, the costume style was most likely decided without that factoring in 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default Did the backlash over Batman & Robin scare Fox from doing more colourful costumes?

In 1997 Batman & Robin released.

I was 12 at the tine and i'll admit i played with the toys back then.

That movie dented CBMs hard as most would agree.

The quality was low and it ushered in the Bat-Nipple fiasco.

The movie was highly critisized for the campy, & kiddie approach to the visual style which had lots of neon and bright coloured lairs and so on. The costumes which not only had the infamous nipples and copious cotch, bum and boob shot were twoard the end much more brighly coloured. Lots of silver highlights to be exact.

The first theatrical Marvel movie debuted the following year with Blade which was basically just badass vampire hunter in black armour, he wasn't a superhero really and most didn't even know he was a Marvel character.

The next Marvel movie due was X-Men, the biggest and most popular Marvel team.

The costumes were black leather with very suttle lines of colours, they existed soley to unite them under a team look when on missions.

QUESTION:

Did Batman & Robins reception, of both the campy tone, neony visuals, the Bat-Nipples and comicky costumes of Ivy, Bane, Freeze & Silvery trio of hero costumes scare Fox away from having colourful costumes in X-Men?

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: Did the backlash over Batman & Robin scare Fox from doing more colourful costumes

Yep.Batman & Robin did.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
Manic X
Side-Kick

Default Re: Did the backlash over Batman & Robin scare Fox from doing more colourful costumes

Not really. It had more to do with what was in style back then. And at that particular time, it was the Matrix 'look'.

Manic X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

Yeah,I'm sure it was a main factor.

We are T. H. E. M.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #5
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Know one really knows. The obvious answer is yes, but Singer's desire was to ground the characters in reality as much as possible. To what degree of that desicision was dictated by Fox is anyone's guess. X1 and X2 are both great (X2 a classic), but I'm still waiting on the day when we get a full team shot of the X-Men similar to the Avengers 360 crowd pleaser, where the mutants are dressed in all their comic book glory! Instead of waiting on a Chitauri attack, they're being surrounded by Sentinels. Just imagine if that had been the first incarnation of the X-Men that we ever saw on screen...It would have set the internet on fire and made the DoFP hype look like a zippo.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #6
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Thanks for the input guys.

I was thinking of it from a studio perspective and thought they'd at the very least be wary of introuding colourful and garish costumes after the reaction to B&R

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 01-15-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I don't think it did.

If you watch Batman & Robin, the only one with the more *colorful costume* is Poison Ivy. Batman/Robin/Batgirl are wearing black suits. Mr. Freeze's costume is not too out of this world and not too colorful. Bane's costume looks bad but its not colorful.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Banes was Comicky and Freeze was bright.

Yeah, the Bat suits weren't bright until the end when they donned the silver-accented suits.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Bright and comic-ky don't equally mean *colorful*.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:00 AM   #10
Loki882
Side-Kick

The "bright and colorful" CBM's at that time has almost all bombed. The only really successful CBM before X-Men was Blade, and it wasn't even marketed as one. So it was probably a case of "we've never tried anything like this before, and we don't know if it will sell or not, so let's not take too many chances."

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #11
Shpati
Side-Kick

Great thread!

I believe on the X-Men 1 bonus disk Bryan Singer and Stan Lee addressed this topic. It has been like 6+ years when I watched it, but I believe Stan Lee (or someone else) said colorful costumes would not work. Comic books had colorful costumes because they are pictures are are supposed to be colorful. And Bryan Singer said he wanted the X-Men to look like a team with the same costume.

Thinking about it further, I guess it was his way with tying the X-Men with our present world (2000s). In our present world, black is the modern color. It is sleek and cool looking. However, in X-Men first class, they wore the classic blue and yellow X-Men Costumes. And at the end of that movie, Magneto had his classic Red and Pink Helm! Emma Frost was blooming white. And I thought all of that went really well and it was not distracting or hideous looking at all.

So maybe if X-Men 1 took place in the 60s, we would have seen more colorful costumes.

I always laugh at the joke Scott Summers says to Wolverine on the Jet: "What do you prefer, Yellow Spandex?". Looks like we will never get to see him wearing that.

That being said, I am curious if a Comic Book Movie with colorful costumes could work (I mean colorful, like every character having their own costume like Batman and Robin tried to do). Because, honestly, in X-Men 3: The Last Stand, even each character having their own little bright lining on their costumes (Kitty Pride having Pink, Iceman having blue, etc.) was too much color for me! I don't know why since it was so little color.

Also, don't forget though, the costumes in Batman & Robin were not only colorful, but some of the most poor quality costumes I have ever seen. They were basically Halloween Costumes. Poison Ivy looked like she bought her's at Wal-Mart. So maybe if movie makers actually put some good time, thought, and money into "colorful" costumes they may be able to make it work.

Last edited by Shpati; 01-16-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Shpati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
kasjan
Side-Kick

Colourful costumes are good for sunday family movies.
Glad modern X-Men have black costumes.

kasjan is offline   Reply With Quote