3 20 4.24%
2 9 1.91%
1 - Poor 45 9.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #476
Lobo
Mmhmmm him

Default Re: Rate and Review X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I go to the movies to have fun and escape.....this was a fun escapist pleasure. Was it perfect....no, that's why I give it a 7.5......but it was great fun. I haven't read an XMAN comic since the 80's.....so his origin story is fine with me. I've never read a comic with Deadpool in it....so I had no problem with the character in the movie.

I didn't go there to nitpick it to death or to reinforce my side on some internet war about it's quality. I went to see another sci fi comic book based action adventure kick-ass movie. I did...and I had fun.
Exactly how i feel about these things.

I've not seen it yet, going Monday morning

<o>\o/<o>\o/<o>\o/
Old 05-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #477
webhead731
I'm a photographer

I saw it last night, and all I have to say is this: :facepalm

Why? Not because of the movie. Because of the fans.

How can anyone absolutely LOATH this film? 1/10? Are you serious? Look, I enjoyed Punisher War Zone, because it was a fun action movie. It wasn't a great, nor perfect movie, but it was fun and badass. However, I can understand how some people might not like it. But Wolverine? Oh my goodness.

I honestly loved it. I've been waiting for a Wolverine film ever since I heard of it in 2003. I thought it was a well told adaptation, good story, good acting for the most part, and some nice action sequences.
As for Deadpool, I'm not a HUGE follower of the character, like I am Spidey or Hulk, but I know quite a bit about him. I thought he was done just fine, and yeah, Weapon XI wasn't really..."Deadpool" from the comics, but I thought he was badass.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Judging from the ending I got, he's alive, he has his mouth back
, there could easily be a spin-off or prequel. Stop *****ing.

I have officially had it with hardcore fan opinions. I knew they whined alot, but good lord.
Sure, not everyone is bad, most of you are cool. But I have a feeling that ATLEAST 50% of the hating reviews are
1. From the UNFINISHED movie
2. People who want to be on the bandwagon

I don't understand 2 though. I know it happens, but I prefer to stay off and be proud to say that I enjoy the things I enjoy.

Now, was this movie perfect? Hell no. No movie is. But this has its share of flaws. The kid Wolverine was meh, because of kid actors (kid actors ftw right?), there were a couple obvious CGI shots, and the movie wasn't violent enough (I thought X-Men 2 was more violent). Probably some other things as well.

Over all, about a 8.8/10, which rounds up to a solid 9/10. I'm pleased with it, I'll be seeing it again and getting the DVD.

Edit by Kel: Please use spoilers there are many who have not seen the movie.

Last edited by Kelly; 05-02-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #478
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Rate and Review X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead731 View Post

How can anyone absolutely LOATH this film? 1/10? Are you serious? Look, I enjoyed Punisher War Zone, because it was a fun action movie. It wasn't a great, nor perfect movie, but it was fun and badass. However, I can understand how some people might not like it. But Wolverine? Oh my goodness.

I honestly loved it. I've been waiting for a Wolverine film ever since I heard of it in 2003. I thought it was a well told adaptation, good story, good acting for the most part, and some nice action sequences.
As for Deadpool, I'm not a HUGE follower of the character, like I am Spidey or Hulk, but I know quite a bit about him. I thought he was done just fine, and yeah, Weapon XI wasn't really..."Deadpool" from the comics, but I thought he was badass.
Judging from the ending I got, he's alive, he has his mouth back,
there could easily be a spin-off or prequel. Stop *****ing.

I have officially had it with hardcore fan opinions. I knew they whined alot, but good lord.
Sure, not everyone is bad, most of you are cool. But I have a feeling that ATLEAST 50% of the hating reviews are

I don't understand 2 though. I know it happens, but I prefer to stay off and be proud to say that I enjoy the things I enjoy.

Now, was this movie perfect? Hell no. No movie is. But this has its share of flaws. The kid Wolverine was meh, because of kid actors (kid actors ftw right?), there were a couple obvious CGI shots, and the movie wasn't violent enough (I thought X-Men 2 was more violent). Probably some other things as well.

Over all, about a 8.8/10, which rounds up to a solid 9/10. I'm pleased with it, I'll be seeing it again and getting the DVD.
How can anyone loathe this film? Are fans, critics, and non-fans allowed to have an opinion? Asking how anyone can hate this film is like asking how can anyone hate a Uwe Boll production. Of course, you have SOME people who like Uwe Boll(I don't know any, but that's beside the point).

The fact of the matter is fans(such as myself) want better quality, better storytelling, and not a half-assed lazy attempt at creating something just for the hell of it. Let me say that this film had the RIGHT idea and I thought the concept of it was nice, it was just very poorly executed and watered down for the general public. Watered down in terms of its story, the violence, the character development, and the dark nature surrounding Logan's origins and journey through various wars, eras, and encounters with characters.

For me it deserved a 1/10 and working at a movie theatre has its advantages since I can watch movies for free. Fox wasn't going to get my money and my money will be given to quality films like Terminator Salvation, Star Trek, Angels and Demons, and Transformers 2.

But as I said, they had the right idea but with Fox there was no way we were going to get an epic, gritty, violent, and emotional Wolverine origin film.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #479
Punisher RULES
Live Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead731 View Post

Judging from the ending I got, he's alive, he has his mouth back
, there could easily be a spin-off or prequel. Stop *****ing.

Edit by Kel: Please use spoilers there are many who have not seen the movie.

I agree. I have seen newer fans that a few months ago had no clue who Deadpool was and now those same people are complaining that this isn't the Deadpool they "know and love". A lot of them are simply bandwagon jumping because that's what the general fanbase thinks. It's almost sinful to like something these days and I'm glad that tons of folks went out to go see it yesterday and I'm glad people like you took it for what it was and enjoyed yourself instead of watching it and running to the computer and joining in on the bashing as if their civil rights were being taken advantage of. Some people take things far too personally. It's just a movie.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #480
LastSunrise1981

Post Re: Rate and Review X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

Oh, and working at the theatre I heard some of the people coming out after the film. I realize this isn't the shared viewpoint of everyone but I can tell who is a fan and who isn't a fan of the comics.

Quite a few people walked out and didn't have any kind of reaction, I heard "It was okay", "meh, I'm not sure.", "damn, that was pretty horrible."

Granted this isn't the shared viewpoint of the world, however, no one that I know personally enjoyed it. Films should generate a reaction whether it'd be negative or positive, and I haven't heard a positive review from either of my co-workers(some who are fans of the comics), non fans, and so forth.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #481
gridlockd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
lol i actually enjoyed that scene... not because it was a X character that is almost non existent in the comics... but because my small hometown got a shout out haha (springfield, OH) i was in shock out of all small cities someone decided to make it mine.... very weird.
Damn. Wish I lived there, so I could've enjoyed that scene...

Old 05-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #482
GambitXremy
Side-Kick

ive gotten really positive and negative reviews....more of the hard core fans gave it a negative review but the non fans of the comic loved the movie

Old 05-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #483
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher RULES View Post
I agree. I have seen newer fans that a few months ago had no clue who Deadpool was and now those same people are complaining that this isn't the Deadpool they "know and love". A lot of them are simply bandwagon jumping because that's what the general fanbase thinks. It's almost sinful to like something these days and I'm glad that tons of folks went out to go see it yesterday and I'm glad people like you took it for what it was and enjoyed yourself instead of watching it and running to the computer and joining in on the bashing as if their civil rights were being taken advantage of. Some people take things far too personally. It's just a movie.
I agree - reading these boards the last few weeks you would think this film was some sort of crime against humanity, and that wasn't nearly the case at all.

About the Deadpool thing - I'm not all that familiar with the character, but I see what they did and why fans would be in a rage about it, but when I saw the movie it didn't really bother me since like I said, I'm not all that familar with the character. I do wish they had given Ryan Reynolds a lot more to do, he was a real scene stealer.

I think with any of these movies there are going to be fans who are going to nitpick over every little thing, and others who are willing to let certain things slide because they enjoyed the movie. Nobody's right and nobody's wrong, it's just too bad they can't find some sort of civil divide about it, because it just turns to everyone thinking they're the "better" fan.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #484
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

It's a meh movie so a meh reaction is the best it can hope for.

I like how some of the fans of the flick act like it's not legit to not like the flick. It's a legit opinion to like the flick and it's legit to not like it. I do however think that the love it people and the hate it people are too extreme in their views.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #485
flavio_lebeau
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher RULES View Post
I think the "problem" (that's if it is a problem) with this train of thought of "it's just a movie, get over it. Take it for what it is. Enjoy the movie without thinking."...the problem is that...the more the public and fans eat that up, the worse these movies will get. That's we have the Date Movie, Superhero Movie, Scary Movie, etc etc etc; because people are eating them up.

Why will they ever bother making quality movies, or improving, when the public is accepting these films "for what they are"?

And especially when you see this genre increasing in quality every year, it's a little sad when you get movies like this one. IMO. Considering this same franchise is responsible for 2 of the best comic book movies to date, one of them being the film that started the trend.

It's valid to remember that the bad reputation this film is getting isn't just a fanboy thing. It's not like the people complaining are all rabid Wolverine fans who won't get a clue. (i myself don't read comics, don't give a damn about Deadpool and thought Gambit was great. But it was sstill a really bad movie)

Ever since X2, the X-Men movies are only getting worse, in my opinion. And if everyone just accepts them for what they are, in some years we will get to Batman and Robin territory all over again. (I'm betting the First Class thing would be that). It's just a bit frustrating to me to see what could be a beautiful franchise, deteriorating.

Last edited by flavio_lebeau; 05-02-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #486
Nathan

Even the game IMO does a better job at telling the story. At least the game shows you why Logan is the best at what he does. None of that stupid standing at the side lines.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #487
GambitXremy
Side-Kick

To be honest if you look at the movie it was a fun ride i enjoyed it and i'm really into the comics.. but it's a movie and not a comic and thats what people forget....

this has happen every time a x-men movie came out... people just like to BIT@@. it gets old fast people.

just enjoy the movie....

P.S. RICHARD DONNER IS THE MAN

Old 05-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #488
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Independent of the critics, Fox and accuracy to the source material I just did not think that X-Men Orgins: Wolverine was a very good movie.

It's a 5.5/10 movie to me, it's mediocre to the core.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #489
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

I just came back from seeing it. It's a decent flick in it's own right. Nothing amazing about it. But it has good entertainment value for the most part.

I really enjoyed Gambit and Sabretooth. Deadpool was wasted. Jackman did a good job again as Logan.

The CGI was very iffy in some parts. The worst one has to be the adamantium claws when Logan is standing in front of the mirror in the bathroom.

Overall I give it 7/10.

- The Joker
Old 05-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #490
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Well, that was completely worthless. I feel like an idiot for paying to see that. The action was mediocre and the writing was completely empty and absurd. "Grr! I'm out for revenge! Except, uh, she's not dead, so... I guess I'll leave now." Sabertooth was tame. They spent the entire movie talking about Wolverine's inner conflict, but completely failed to illustrate it in any compelling or interesting way. The climax didn't matter. In fact, very little in the movie mattered. The ending--even before the ridiculous adamantium bullet mindwipe--made everything you had seen before it irrelevant. They wasted a fleet of characters. This was, in fact, worse than X3.

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.

Last edited by Saint; 05-02-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #491
DeathRaven
Another soul for sale

I gave the movie a 6/10

I really enjoyed it. In fact I like what they did with DeadPool, only because I can see where they can still take him after such incidents.

I really loved the blob scene, that had me cracken up through the whole thing, "Did you call me the blob?" I also enjoyed how Wolverine came across the name...wolverine....heh. Also the scenes involving Wade at the begining where some sweet ****, I chuckled pretty much at every line from him.

Although as the film went on some glarring mistakes where made in editings, mostaly in post production. Some very outloud ones. I didnt care for much of the CGI, such as Logan in the bathroom with his blades, they looked very fake.

My art work
http://majorpain.deviantart.com/
Old 05-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #492
Kahoot

Well the poll helped... It's a real mixed bag I see.

For Everything A Reason
Fallen Empires Are Ruling
F.E.A.R.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #493
Not_Sane
Banned User

Honestly I didn't like the film at all, but I'd have to say the best parts came from the characters who were in the film for like a minute.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #494
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Independent of the critics, Fox and accuracy to the source material I just did not think that X-Men Orgins: Wolverine was a very good movie.

It's a 5.5/10 movie to me, it's mediocre to the core.
Agreed 100%

You know something's wrong when the claws look so much worse than they did 9 years ago

Old 05-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #495
gridlockd
Side-Kick

Seems like they should have just made x-men 4 instead. I mean if you're just gonna saddle him with another (albeit much lamer) team...

Im a fan but not hardcore. So I didn't know half these new characters. But Im sorry, twirling swords and shooting guns are not very exciting MUTANT powers!! They shoot guns in every movie! Shouldnt the x-men be something new?

One guy restarts elevators and lights lightbulbs with his mind. And one guy teleports in a less interesting way than nightcrawler. Just suprisingly lame, IMO

Old 05-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #496
Johnny Drama
Sex Panther

I enjoyed it. It was not an epic masterpeice, ala Ironman or even X2, but it was by far better than X3. It was fun, and it was quickly paced (some consider a bad thing but for a movie like this, it worked)
With X3, I was expecting this grand follow up to the immaculate X2. What I got was a contrived, poorly developed Wolverine movie.
With Wolverine, I was expecting the same as X3. But it wasn't. The first 5-10 minutes, with Strykers black ops team, was great. I actually like The Blob when he was just Dukes, I liked Wade before he was Deadpool and I liked the dynamic between Logan and Creed. L.S played the character way more convincing than Tyler Maine did, even if Tyler had more of a resemblance to the character. Stryker was true to form, I could actually see this prick becomeing the X2's Stryker.

My complaints?
Gambit's screentime. It should have either been extended or cut all together. Give him something to do or don't present him at all (I had the same problem with Angel in X3. I love the character, but why?

Deadpool. Wade was great in the first 5 minutes, but later on he screams Juggernaut all over again. A failed attempt at an iconic character.

The special effects. They seemed like something out of a late 90's Playstation game. It's like FOX just gave up during post-production.

Overall, it wasn't GREAT. But it was fun, and overall a movie I enjoyed.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #497
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Agreed 100%

You know something's wrong when the claws look so much worse than they did 9 years ago
The claws were atrocious but you know what? If the rest of the movie was good I wouldn't have cared very much.

It seems like some of the fans of the flick are whinning now and thats annoying. It's great that you thought it was a great movie but other people didn't. And that isn't because of bias towards Fox or anything else.

We just didn't care for it as a movie. End of Story!

Old 05-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #498
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

I thought it was a very enjoyable film. It was not great like Iron Man, The Dark Knight, or Watchmen. I would compare this movie with Daredevil, as both have their number of missteps, but thay both have alot of cool action and some very well made stuff that make them a very delightful guilty pleasure. Better than X-Men: The Last Stand, that's for sure.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #499
crazyrabbits
Side-Kick

After the one-two-three punch of The Dark Knight/Iron Man/Hellboy 2 last year, almost everything else will be a letdown. Sadly, this is the case with X-Men Origins.

Granted, this isn't a horrible movie, but it's certainly not good either. How there can be people in this thread talking about enjoying a "fun action adventure superhero movie" about a bonafide killer who was shown running out of the Weapon X facility with blood pouring down his claws in a flashback from the second film....well, there's no hope for them.

Any sense of scope or drama we had in the first two films regarding Logan's experiences with Weapon X are utterly wasted here. Characters come and go across the screen, Logan kills people by slashing at them a lot, and Stryker schemes a lot. Yet, it doesn't come across with the same level of intensity or excitement that was portrayed in X2.

Logan is a plot device. There's no other way to say it. He goes around and gets in fights that further the story.

The CGI takes away so much from scenes that really should been filmed using practical effects. Watching the workprint (which I admit I saw) and then going to see the finished film in theatres confirmed it for me.

If you ignore all the cliched scenes that did nothing to increase character development (Logan looking up at the sky and screaming is laughable), what's left? Liev Schreiber and Jackman did some good work, but the film can't rest solely on their performances. A film is only as good as its supporting cast, and XMO's supporting cast were well near useless.

You can have a serious, grounded superhero film that respects the elements that made those characters great and still have it be profitable. That is, after all, the reason why TDK is currently the second-highest grossing film of all time. That people would knowingly settle for this kind of...pap is unbelievable.

4/10.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #500
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I thought that Hellboy 2 was terrible but to each his own.

Closed Thread