3 20 4.24%
2 9 1.91%
1 - Poor 45 9.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #1251
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Default Re: Rate and Review X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

I guess I'm just tired of this whole watered-down X-universe thing.......

It's time for Marvel to get the rights to X-men back and do a reboot......imo.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #1252
chaseter
Bland User

I agree with that

I think this movie would have been loads better if it wasn't trying to connect dots and also whorishly set up 4 other possible Fox films

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #1253
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

The major difference between Logan tracking Creed after Kayla's death, and Logan needing Gambit to track down Creed's location is that after Kayla's death, Creed didn't go far. He did go far from New Orleans.

But after Kayla's "death", Creed wanted to be found. You can figure this out just by his reaction to actually being found by Logan. He wasn't trying to run. He was obviously trying to run after the confrontation in New Orleans.

As for the Xavier thing.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Xavier didn't have the X-Men yet. He couldn't just storm a facility and rescue the captive mutants, because he didn't yet have his strike force to do it.

As far as alerting authorities. What was he supposed to do? He had absolutely no evidence about Stryker's facility, meaning that legally, nothing could be done. You need warrants to search property, and you need evidence to get a warrant. What evidence did Xavier have? His tracking of Cyclops with Cerebro?

Mutants weren't very well known, and when they are known, they aren't very well liked. Go back to the Senate hearing in X-Men to get a crash course on the world these mutants live in. So Xavier going to the authorities admitting that he's been tracking other people using his psychic abilities, enhanced by a probably illegal machine in Cerebro, would raise a whole other slew of questions, Xavier's entire operation would likely be shut down, and Xavier wouldn't be able to use his powers for the benefit of mankind. Xavier is not the kind of person to just take control of other people's minds for his own personal gain - I.E. getting out of jail time.

The authorities wouldn't just go "Okay, thanks Xavier for giving us that tip". No, there would be a huge investigation into Xavier, his school, and his entire operation, and that would defeat Xavier's entire purpose of trying to create the school to be a safe haven for mutants from the rest of the world that fears and hates them.

Xavier did the only thing he could do. Track down the mutants (he was probably alerted to Cyclops via Cerebro after Creed kidnapped him at the school), and come to their rescue after they had been freed, thus giving them a safe haven from the rest of the world that fears and hates them.

So hopefully now we can put these "plot holes" to rest, since they aren't actually plot holes in the first place.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #1254
topdog1
Hero For Hire

Some fans need to step back and look at this film through general eyes. I've seen this reaction on many other movie sites....

Quote:
That's basically how it was for me. I've heard a lot of bad stuff but frankly I thought it was a really good movie for what it was. It fit into the story line well. Had awesome action scenes. I really don't understand why all the hate.

It was waaaay better than X3, and probably even better than the first Xman movie too.
This is the typical response to this movie and I felt like copying the quote to here. A lot are surprised at how much they enjoy it after experiencing some of the fanboy rants online.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #1255
topdog1
Hero For Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
So hopefully now we can put these "plot holes" to rest, since they aren't actually plot holes in the first place.
I honestly stopped reading those "plot hole" gripes because there weren't any with real merit. Most things made sense to me and it doesn't take great leaps to connect a few dots and enjoy the film.

To me, it made perfect sense that Xavier had tracked Scott to Three Mile Island. Since Scott was just brought there, it was clear that Xavier had just discovered its existence. Who knows if he and Magneto have even created Cerebro yet or if Stryker found a way to shield the facility from all telepathic probes, Cerebro or not? Most of the nitpicks, from Kayla's "death" to Adamantium bullets to walking off an island hold no water whatsoever.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #1256
Project862006
Banned User

they don't need to reboot just go back and fix what happened at end of x3 and just expand the story reboot means new actors means no jackman/marsden/famka/stewart/mckellan.

the last thing i want is some director doing x men with huge effects and very fantastical looking but with no character development and in the end it becomes just style over substance

Old 05-16-2009, 11:50 PM   #1257
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog1 View Post
Some fans need to step back and look at this film through general eyes. I've seen this reaction on many other movie sites....

This is the typical response to this movie and I felt like copying the quote to here. A lot are surprised at how much they enjoy it after experiencing some of the fanboy rants online.
Yeah that quote totally makes sense. It even goes in line with the box office numbers! Everyone must be really enjoying this film So much so that they keep going back multiple times.

Since fans only constitute a small minority of the box office success of a film, why has this film made the least out of the four films? What does that say about the general audience?

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."

Last edited by chaseter; 05-16-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #1258
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog1 View Post
I honestly stopped reading those "plot hole" gripes because there weren't any with real merit. Most things made sense to me and it doesn't take great leaps to connect a few dots and enjoy the film.

To me, it made perfect sense that Xavier had tracked Scott to Three Mile Island. Since Scott was just brought there, it was clear that Xavier had just discovered its existence. Who knows if he and Magneto have even created Cerebro yet or if Stryker found a way to shield the facility from all telepathic probes, Cerebro or not? Most of the nitpicks, from Kayla's "death" to Adamantium bullets to walking off an island hold no water whatsoever.
Why was Xavier only following Scott? How would Xavier know who Scott was and where he was without Cerebro?

Old 05-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #1259
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Finally saw the movie, and while the beginning was pretty good (esp. the part when Wolverine did the mission with that mutant group), the middle and the end dragged the movie down. I didn't really like the fact that the mutants introduced in the middle part (Blob, Gambit) just served to move Wolverine from one place to another, nor do I like the story of Wolverine being a willing participant of the Weapon X project, whereas in the flashback scene of X2 we saw Wolverine being forced into the project, and when he escaped he was covered in blood (absent in X-Men Origin). The buildup for Barakapool was also ho-hum and didn't help the fact that Barakapool looks ridiculous and a great disservice to the character Deadpool. The memory wipe by adamantium bullets...don't get me started. Anyway, after I finished the movie, I just felt the whole thing is...meh, and I definitely think it could've been way, way better.

6/10

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 05-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #1260
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Why was Xavier only following Scott? How would Xavier know who Scott was and where he was without Cerebro?
Xavier would have been alerted by Scott's massive mutant power display at the school. If he didn't have Cerebro, he'd surely have the TV news or the daily newspaper reporting on mysterious damage wrecking a school.

Xavier managed to track Nightcrawler after the White House Attack, using Cerebro to home in on Kurt's particular brainwave signal. He'd likely do the same with Scott.

I agree it would seem likely he would be using Cerebro to track him to the island.

However, Xavier was aware of Scott's death and/or the full rebirth of the Phoenix personality at Alkali Lake from what must be thousands of miles away. You could argue that was because of a psychic bond he'd formed with Scott over many years but nonetheless the possibility of Xavier being aware of Scott somehow, with or without Cerebro, exists.

Really, Chaseter, you are so up your own plothole.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #1261
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Finally saw the movie, and while the beginning was pretty good (esp. the part when Wolverine did the mission with that mutant group), the middle and the end dragged the movie down. I didn't really like the fact that the mutants introduced in the middle part (Blob, Gambit) just served to move Wolverine from one place to another, nor do I like the story of Wolverine being a willing participant of the Weapon X project, whereas in the flashback scene of X2 we saw Wolverine being forced into the project, and when he escaped he was covered in blood (absent in X-Men Origin). The buildup for Barakapool was also ho-hum and didn't help the fact that Barakapool looks ridiculous and a great disservice to the character Deadpool. The memory wipe by adamantium bullets...don't get me started. Anyway, after I finished the movie, I just felt the whole thing is...meh, and I definitely think it could've been way, way better.

6/10
Wrong. Stryker tells Wolverine that he had volunteered for the procedure...

Old 05-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #1262
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I agree with that

I think this movie would have been loads better if it wasn't trying to connect dots and also whorishly set up 4 other possible Fox films

But, as a prequel, it had to connect dots to fit in (at least loosely) with the three existing X-Men movies.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 05-17-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #1263
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
I didn't like how his existence wasn't even hinted at anywhere else in the movie, so his appearance comes off more as a deus ex machina than a surprise. Plus, Xavier's knowledge of the prison does raise some troubling questions.
I never said Xavier had to storm the place, but why didn't he tell anyone about the existence of this prison? He just let mutants rot there, possibly for years, and didn't tell anyone?
Stryker was operating with the backing/support/funding of the government. I don't think Xavier's protests would have got him very far, especially considering that Xavier himself was setting up (or had set up) a covert mutant facility. Xavier would just be advertising himself to Stryker as the next victim for capture. And how would Xavier explain what he knew to whoever he contacted? What evidence could he give? Telepathic awareness would hardly be accepted by the press or any official authorities. It was best to keep quiet, monitor the situation and sneak in when the time was right...which is what he did.

I don't find this to be a plothole in any sense, more that you have in mind a different (and inferior) idea of what you wanted to see from the story. Which doesn't mean the version provided on screen is wrong, especially as it stands up to logic given the way mutants were treated in the film.

I don't even find it to be a deus ex machina. Mutants were being captured by Stryker for his nefarious purposes, so we needed to see what became of them rather than just forget they were there. So, this wasn't a plot device at all, it was a logical step, a nice surprise and a good way to tie in this movie to the existing series and to the proposed X-Men First Class film.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #1264
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
But, as a prequel, it had to connect dots to fit in (at least loosely) with the three existing X-Men movies.
It didn't have to do anything. This could have been its own trilogy and nobody would have cared otherwise. It probably would have been a better film.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #1265
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Xavier would have been alerted by Scott's massive mutant power display at the school. If he didn't have Cerebro, he'd surely have the TV news or the daily newspaper reporting on mysterious damage wrecking a school.

Xavier managed to track Nightcrawler after the White House Attack, using Cerebro to home in on Kurt's particular brainwave signal. He'd likely do the same with Scott.

I agree it would seem likely he would be using Cerebro to track him to the island.

However, Xavier was aware of Scott's death and/or the full rebirth of the Phoenix personality at Alkali Lake from what must be thousands of miles away. You could argue that was because of a psychic bond he'd formed with Scott over many years but nonetheless the possibility of Xavier being aware of Scott somehow, with or without Cerebro, exists.

Really, Chaseter, you are so up your own plothole.
Without Cerebro, none of that is possible. The person I responded to said 'Cerebro or not.' Well, Cerebro is the glue to that whole scene making sense.

With Scott's death, your first sentence was correct. Scott isn't special in any way prior to their relationship for Xavier to somehow sense him. I am sure he saw that on the news but how would he know who it was and where the kid was without Cerebro? Scott being in this movie was just a sad attempt to get Cyclops fans and to try and give him justice after the backlash of X3.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #1266
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
It didn't have to do anything. This could have been its own trilogy and nobody would have cared otherwise. It probably would have been a better film.
But half of the moans on here are about how it fits, or doesn't fit, into the existing movies. Such as the flashback scenes, the look of Sabretooth, the film's connection to what is implied in X1 and X2.

Regardless of the X-Men Origins title, or any prequel marketing, a Wolverine movie starring Hugh Jackman and telling the origin of the character is bound to be expected to follow the existing series in some form.

There is no way around it. They were damned if they did follow continuity and damned if they didn't.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #1267
chaseter
Bland User

You aren't damned if you make a good movie. Fans are such little part of the fanbase anyways so our whining doesn't matter right? They 'half ***ed' it and connected parts that they wanted to. Particularly, the parts so that they could use to segway into 4 more films.

Aside from us, critics and the general audience thought this was a mediocre movie, not just the fans.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #1268
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
You aren't damned if you make a good movie. Fans are such little part of the fanbase anyways so our whining doesn't matter right? They 'half ***ed' it and connected parts that they wanted to. Particularly, the parts so that they could use to segway into 4 more films.

Aside from us, critics and the general audience thought this was a mediocre movie, not just the fans.
Agreed. The movie certainly isn't hugely popular. It was a modest success. Nothing big, but it made enough money that Fox is unfortunately going to make a sequel.

This movie is around what I would call the "middle tier" of superhero films. It's in the same category as Batman Forever, Spider-man 3, X3, or Daredevil (directors cut).

Movies that aren't great, but certainly aren't horrible. However, with these movies (especially SM3, and X3) you get people who overreact quite a bit and start claiming they're one of the worst comic book movies made, which is quite honestly ridiculous. The reason so many people overreact I think, is because both of those movies had huge hype. They had the potential to be amazing, and when they ended up being mediocre, the fans (comic fans mostly) snapped back from the upper end of near rabid apprehension and excitement to extreme bitterness.

I see this happening a bit with Wolverine as well, however the blow wasn't quite as bad since most of the fans were already jaded from X3. I would bet money though, had Wolverine came out before X3, this movie would have had as big of a blow up as X3 had.

Really, the biggest frustration of this movie (and the others I mentioned) are the fact that they are indeed only average. Were these movies horrible, at least we would have the satisfaction of knowing that the filmmakers had absolutely no chance of making a good film because they didn't know what the f*&ck they were doing. However, the fact that there were so very good moments in this film makes it all the more annoying, because we see how good it could have been.

This idea is only reinforced when I play the game, because the game's story blows the movie's story out of the water.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 05-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #1269
Hugh'sMrs
Side-Kick

Cool Re: Rate and Review X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

Quote:
Wrong. Stryker tells Wolverine that he had volunteered for the procedure...
I always felt that Stryker lied to him.

Betty White, during her SNL opening monologue
Old 05-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #1270
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh'sMrs View Post
I always felt that Stryker lied to him.
But, still, there's no evidence for that, it's just what you 'felt'.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #1271
Sugarculted
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Agreed. The movie certainly isn't hugely popular. It was a modest success. Nothing big, but it made enough money that Fox is unfortunately going to make a sequel.

This movie is around what I would call the "middle tier" of superhero films. It's in the same category as Batman Forever, Spider-man 3, X3, or Daredevil (directors cut).
But...but...Daredevil DC was so much better. I favour it amongst many of the superhero films out there...

Old 05-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #1272
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
But, still, there's no evidence for that, it's just what you 'felt'.
To be fair, before this movie there was no evidence he was telling the truth either. In fact, the flashback sequences certainly seemed to point otherwise.

I still would have gone with the forced experimentation if I had been the writer, just because I think it makes the Weapon X scenes more powerful that way.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 05-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #1273
Nathan

I didn't mind him volunteering, but right after that they should've backstabbed him, tried to erase his memory and condition him into a living killing machine.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #1274
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I didn't mind him volunteering, but right after that they should've backstabbed him, tried to erase his memory and condition him into a living killing machine.
What, you mean like make it like the comic books??? Are you crazy?!?! That'd never work!!!!

Old 05-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #1275
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
That would have been awesome to see, with a mission involving Omega Red thrown in there as well, but the movie would have had to have been totally different. That may not have been a bad thing of course depending on if you like this movie or not.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
Closed Thread