3 20 4.24%
2 9 1.91%
1 - Poor 45 9.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #1326
Andreth
Side-Kick

Default Re: Rate and Review X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

My dad always falls asleep

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 05-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #1327
chaseter
Bland User

If I go with my family, my mother asks a billion questions and my little sis and bro text. I am the only one who enjoys going to the movies in my family I am the only cinema afficianado

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #1328
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Your dad must be awesome. My dad hates going to movies.

My dad loves the movies. I inherited his geek gene.

He took me to see Star Wars when I was 3 and we've been going together ever since. We saw all of the LOTR movies on opening night at the same theater (we met Andy Serkis before ROTK), and we saw all 3 Indiana Jones movies in one day when they were doing a marathon in NYC. This year we've seen Watchmen, Wolverine, and Star Trek together. I'm supposed to see Terminator with him this weekend.

And yeah, he loved Wolverine. He's never read any of the comics, so he just knows the movies and thought it was as good as any of the others.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #1329
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
My dad took one of his friends to see it last night (he saw it with me on opening night). His friend loved it - he especially liked Gambit. They stayed through the credits and saw the Deadpool ending, which my dad hadn't seen the first time. He told me the guy cleaning up the theater told him that scene freaks him out every time he sees it.
I haven't seen that one yet. This will be my third different place so hopefully I will catch it this time. If not I am going to be so pissed.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
Old 05-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #1330
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
I haven't seen that one yet. This will be my third different place so hopefully I will catch it this time. If not I am going to be so pissed.
I saw it twice and got a different ending each time. I rarely have that kind of luck.

I'm seeing it with my friend this weekend. She just wants to see Hugh. We'll have fun.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #1331
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

My friend suggested we go see Star Trek untilI reminded her Gambit was in this and that he was well played. She changed her mind real quick.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #1332
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
My friend suggested we go see Star Trek untilI reminded her Gambit was in this and that he was well played. She changed her mind real quick.
I probably don't have to say why my friend wants to see Hugh in this...

Old 05-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #1333
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
When I saw it opening night, it seemed like half our audience was turning away just at the sight of the needles coming down. I still think it should have been matched up the X2 flashbacks a little more, but I think it was definitely effective for plenty of people just as it was.

Oh, it was still nasty looking, but it didn't come anywhere close to the stuff they inflicted upon him in the Weapon X graphic novel. That was more potent to me, because it wasn't just his body they were abusing, it was his mind.

What it really comes down to is that I don't think the bonding process/after effects, was long enough, nor did it have enough emotional impact on Logan. The flashback scene in X2 did a better job of conveying the horror of the experiment on him than this movie did, and that's just very bad.

And like I said, I just think it's much more emotionally powerful when Wolverine is experimented upon. Heck, if you wanted to make it go in line with Stryker's volunteer comment in X2, you could have the same setup they had in Origins, but then have them go on and experiment on his mind, trying to make him a mindless killer that they can feed orders to. That way you still get more of a sense of true violation, and Stryker would still be technically right in telling Wolverine he was a volunteer...he just didn't volunteer for everything they did to him.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 05-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #1334
Kanon
Horseman of sleepyness

The problem is that, to really make justice to the comics, you have to make one movie for Weapon X, and another for the rest of the story. "That's great", you might say, but this brings a problem: those two movies should be quite different, Weapon X would be almost a horror slasher movie, where Logan is the "monster", and the other would be action/adventure/thriller... the swith of genre could piss a lot of the audience...

Old 05-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #1335
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The problem is that, to really make justice to the comics, you have to make one movie for Weapon X, and another for the rest of the story. "That's great", you might say, but this brings a problem: those two movies should be quite different, Weapon X would be almost a horror slasher movie, where Logan is the "monster", and the other would be action/adventure/thriller... the swith of genre could piss a lot of the audience...
On top of that, he was also a brainwashed zombie for most of Weapon X, so you don't even have Wolverine as a conscious character for an entire movie. Even when they novelized Weapon X, they added flashbacks of some mission Logan had in Korea just to give him something to do.

An extended Weapon X sequence would've been awesome. An entire movie based on the graphic novel would never work for anyone outside comic book diehards.

It's an amazing graphic novel (the novelization wasn't bad either), but I don't think it would ever work as a standalone film.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #1336
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

Quote:
On top of that, he was also a brainwashed zombie for most of Weapon X, so you don't even have Wolverine as a conscious character for an entire movie. Even when they novelized Weapon X, they added flashbacks of some mission Logan had in Korea just to give him something to do.

An extended Weapon X sequence would've been awesome. An entire movie based on the graphic novel would never work for anyone outside comic book diehards.

It's an amazing graphic novel (the novelization wasn't bad either), but I don't think it would ever work as a standalone film.
agreed.

4) The Dark Knight Rises 5) The Incredible Hulk 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World
7)X-Men:Days of Future Past 8) X-Men:First Class 9) Thor 10) Spider-Man 2
Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #1337
Kanon
Horseman of sleepyness

It could work, but the story would follow the scientist that messed up Logan, and he would be the monster chasing them through the facilities... It worked with a lot of slasher films

But, in the same movie is impossible to have that, and then change at some point to the simpathetic Logan... And doing 2 different movies, well, the genre difference would be a demographic hell

The best way to do this would have been something like what Singer did in X2, with more flashbacks... Present day, ghosts from Logan's past showing up, he remembers bits and pieces trough the movie while he figures out what happened, maybe confusing past and present...

One can only dream

Old 05-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #1338
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

Quote:
It could work, but the story would follow the scientist that messed up Logan, and he would be the monster chasing them through the facilities... It worked with a lot of slasher films

But, in the same movie is impossible to have that, and then change at some point to the simpathetic Logan... And doing 2 different movies, well, the genre difference would be a demographic hell

The best way to do this would have been something like what Singer did in X2, with more flashbacks... Present day, ghosts from Logan's past showing up, he remembers bits and pieces trough the movie while he figures out what happened, maybe confusing past and present...

One can only dream
i don't think i would want to see a wolverine movie w/ a scientist as the main character.

4) The Dark Knight Rises 5) The Incredible Hulk 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World
7)X-Men:Days of Future Past 8) X-Men:First Class 9) Thor 10) Spider-Man 2
Old 05-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #1339
Kanon
Horseman of sleepyness

Well, Wolvie would be the main character, as much as Jason, Mike Myers, or that hook guy in I know what you did last summer...

I would be a lot like "I know what you did last summer", except that it would be the same summer, and Logan wouldn't really know that much

Old 05-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #1340
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

I agree you can ground a whole movie based on the Weapon X procedure - just extend out a similar sequence to the X2 flashbacks, and have him escape through that door like he did in X2. He doesn't even have to have lost his memory then, just the trauma from the procedure alone could have worked with the aftermath - after all, even in the comics his healing factor can wipe out traumatic memories.

They could even bring in a more accurate version of the Hudsons (I loved the old couple in the movie, but even my dad who's seen the movie twice refers to them as Ma and Pa Kent), and have them rescue Logan the way they did in the comics. And they could still kill them off, since in movie canon Logan wasn't with Alpha Flight or Dept H when he joined the X-Men.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #1341
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Well, Wolvie would be the main character, as much as Jason, Mike Myers, or that hook guy in I know what you did last summer...

I would be a lot like "I know what you did last summer", except that it would be the same summer, and Logan wouldn't really know that much
LOL...I remember when I was reading the Weapon X novel telling a friend "I feel like I'm reading a Saw movie!"

Old 05-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #1342
Kanon
Horseman of sleepyness

Quote:
They could even bring in a more accurate version of the Hudsons (I loved the old couple in the movie, but even my dad who's seen the movie twice refers to them as Ma and Pa Kent), and have them rescue Logan the way they did in the comics. And they could still kill them off, since in movie canon Logan wasn't with Alpha Flight or Dept H when he joined the X-Men.
I know this is weird, but I somehow got the feeling that everytime they talked about their son, they meant Weapon Alpha...

Old 05-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #1343
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I know this is weird, but I somehow got the feeling that everytime they talked about their son, they meant Weapon Alpha...
I know, I wondered who the son was too. It was clear that he had died, especially the way she reacted when she saw Logan wearing the jacket. And James Hudson seemed to understand a lot about revenge...

And I know it was utterly not how any of that happened in the comics, but I loved the scenes with the 'older' Hudsons.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #1344
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree you can ground a whole movie based on the Weapon X procedure - just extend out a similar sequence to the X2 flashbacks, and have him escape through that door like he did in X2. He doesn't even have to have lost his memory then, just the trauma from the procedure alone could have worked with the aftermath - after all, even in the comics his healing factor can wipe out traumatic memories.

I agree. I've never wanted an entire Weapon X movie, at least not just about the procedure.

I think you could do one more centered around the procedure and his days in the military, but not just the procedure.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Old 05-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #1345
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Well, third time was the charm. I got to see the Deadpool ending today. It was so much better on the big screen than it was on the crappy YouTube vid.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #1346
The Dude
Believe the impossible

Saw it today for the first time. I have to say that I walked in expecting the worst, and I ended up having a pretty good time. The movie wasn't that great, I've seen better and I've seen worse but it kept me amused for the entire time. Bing a huge Deadpool fan I didn't like the end, but I definitely see potential to fix him for another movie. Now that his mouth is open all I need is for him to NEVER FIRE OPTIC BLASTS AGAIN. Other than that, despite not being a fan of the katana arms I can live with them. In addition the adamantium bullet ws stupid and the special effects where poor in several spots, particularly the bathroom scene when they where using the CGI claws, when I say no real reason to. Practical claws could ave worked in that scene fine in my opinion.
On the positive side, Jackman was great. The man is Wolverine and I can't picture another actor in the role. Also Schrieber was good as Creed, who was an actually rounded character this time as apposed to a mindless henchman. And I can't say enough about Ryan Reynolds. He was AWESOME, and I definitely want to see him reprise the role of Wade in future films because there was no where near enough of him in this. I'm not a big Gambit fan, but I did like him in this film. I was worried he would be a distraction, a big "Hey fans, here's Gambit like you wanted all this time". No while I still don't think he was needed in the film, he had a place in story and he worked.
I was pleasantly surprised by Wolverine, a movie that I thought was going to be terrible, bu in the end I had fun despite all of it's flaws.
Overall I give Wolverine a 6/10

Old 05-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #1347
dark_b
Side-Kick

when wolverine escapes did the bullets from agent Zero bounce ?

Old 05-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #1348
Casius--J
Web Master

Just got to see this film, thought it was good. Could've been better but thats my views with all the X-films.

Deadpool in this film was terrible, I dont see why they chose to use his character rather than just create a new mutant for the purpose of the story. Can't see how a spinoff movie with him will be made personally.

Overall I'd rate this movie as 6.5/7 out of 10

better than X1 and X3 but not as good as X2

Old 05-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #1349
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

Just think of it this way:
That is NOT Deadpool.
I went to the movie with this line of thought, and because of this, I was able to enjoy Weapon XI a lot more. Actually, I loved him, and I'm a Deadpool fan. I just knew that he wasn't Deadpool.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #1350
Slushy
The Man

Another problem is the flashbacks Wolvie had in X2 vastly differed in this movie. Wish they had the classic panel in the comics where Wolvie has his two outer claws under Sabertooth's chin and then he pushed the middle claw through his head which damages Sabertooth to the point where he can't remember his past and loses his agression for a while, this would explain why he might have forgot Wolvie and a bit of himself in the first X-men movie or maybe find out that the Sabertooth in the first X-men movie would be revealed as a Weapon X Sabertooth knockoff created by Stryker. I was hoping the latter would be the case since Sabertooth in Wolverine Origins was damn near perfect.

Twitter: TheMachoPunk
Closed Thread