2 9 1.91%
1 - Poor 45 9.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:50 PM   #1476
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Rate and Review X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ace of Knaves View Post
The parts where he stabbed Creed in the shoulder and hand made me wince I gotta admit.
My best friend turned to me and "This is why I hate these movies!"

What can I say? She saw it for Hugh. And she loved the movie. But Liev scared the hell out of her.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #1477
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntovoid View Post
Magneto's weak plot was kind of the only letdown of X1, I mean, why would He want to give human powers, when it only killed them and instead He could have actually killed humans with missiles or something more like Magneto from the comics but the rest of the movie was great, IMO.
Because making them what they hate the most is more poignant than just killing them. That was the theme of the movie.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #1478
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Because making them what they hate the most is more poignant than just killing them. That was the theme of the movie.
Well, turning them into what they hate led to the same death outcome, anyway I think that plot is just fine but some users here found that it to be the one of the weak points of X1 and some users here think that X3 or Wolverine are better than X1 but IMO, X2 and X1 are tied as the best of the franchise.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #1479
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntovoid View Post
Well, turning them into what they hate led to the same death outcome, anyway I think that plot is just fine but some users here found that it to be the one of the weak points of X1 and some users here think that X3 or Wolverine are better than X1 but IMO, X2 and X1 are tied as the best of the franchise.
I would have to agree with this.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
Old 06-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #1480
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

X-1 is good. But I do think Magneto's plot was full of holes. How does his magnetism powers turn humans into mutants? And if that power accelerates normal humans into mutation, how does it have absolutely no effect at all on people who are already mutants? Surely it would send their mutations out of control right? That was never fully explained.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #1481
Nathan

His magnetism doesn't turn humans into mutants. His magnetism is what powered the machine.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #1482
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Yea well how does that machine turn humans into mutants, but not effect people who are already mutants at all. Uh oh! Plot hole! Whatever shall we do!?!?!

Old 06-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #1483
Nathan

I think the machine activated the dormant X-gene. And for those whose X-genes are already activated, nothing would happen of course. Magneto probably had no idea of knowing whether it would effect mutants or not. It was a chance he had to take and apparently simply nothing happened. One X-Men even asked what effect it had on mutants, and since no side-effects were shown, they assumed it would do nothing to them.

Though I always assumed that the machine had an effect on Jean only, and Bryan set it up for the Phoenix.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #1484
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Yea maybe. But then the way some people are reacting over this films "plot holes" then surely that is a "plot hole". It's never fully explained, it's just mentioned in passing. But whatever, it's still a decent film. But I wouldn't put it up with X2

Old 06-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #1485
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Yea well how does that machine turn humans into mutants, but not effect people who are already mutants at all. Uh oh! Plot hole! Whatever shall we do!?!?!
All of that was explained in X1. You may need to rewatch X1

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #1486
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

It wasn't explained, it was mentioned in passing.

Scott: "Does it effect mutants?"

Prof X: "It doesn't seem to"

And that was about it.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #1487
chaseter
Bland User

I think Storm, Jean, Xavier, or Magneto talks about it more in detail. I will watch it when I get home later. They talk about the X gene in the movie and the device only effects humans and has no effect on mutants and as someone said I think they say that it activates that gene.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #1488
Nathan

Quote:
Yea maybe. But then the way some people are reacting over this films "plot holes" then surely that is a "plot hole". It's never fully explained, it's just mentioned in passing. But whatever, it's still a decent film. But I wouldn't put it up with X2
There are varying degrees of plot holes. The X1 machine is at the bottom my list.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #1489
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Well see, seeing as it was the main part of the plot, it is near the top of my list. Above things such as his claws being shaped and smooth after the experiment.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #1490
Nathan

It's make believe science. He says he's got a machine that turns humans into mutants, I don't further question it. It's something I can't comprehend and know it's impossible. The claws bother me more because from a simple logical standpoint, thick bones shouldn't turn into thin sharp blades.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #1491
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Fair enough. But as I've said before, little things like that don't really bother me at all. You and Chase and others are bothered by that, you wanna focus on it. It's no skin off my back. It's effecting your viewing, no one elses.

Every single film in existence has little goofs like that.

Sure they could have shown them making the blade molds or whatever, but to be honest, I and a lot of people don't need to see that.

But when it comes to the main plot of the bad guy, it should be watertight. And in X-1, it wasn't IMO.

Last edited by Ace of Knaves; 06-01-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #1492
Nathan

I still don't see it as a big plot hole. If he's smart enough to build a machine that turns human, he's probably smart enough to only make if affect humans. And even if he didn't, one can easily assume that since it's a machine that makes humans, it has no effect on normal mutants. It's not really a glaring plot hole. This is one of the moments where you don't need someone monologing for an hour how his machine works.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #1493
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

I'm not saying it's a glaring plot hole. I'm just saying it wasn't fully explained and it leaves too much to speculation, which I've seen banded about in these forums for this movie as a bad thing.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #1494
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:

But when it comes to the main plot of the bad guy, it should be watertight. And in X-1, it wasn't IMO.
I have to throw in my 2 cents on this. I agree with what Nathan said. I don't need to study the blueprints and attend a weeks lecture on the building of a hypothetical mutant creating machine to just say "Hey, he has a machine to turn humans into mutants...cool."

Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #1495
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Yea fair enough. I don't need to know the ins and outs of it, but as I said, it leaves too much to speculation about how it doesn't effect mutants and all that. And that is used as a negative thing about this film in some cases.

You say you don't need to know the ins and outs of Magneto's plan? Neither do I. And in the same vein, I don't need to see how his bone claws end up sharp and smooth.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #1496
Nathan

Quote:
I'm not saying it's a glaring plot hole. I'm just saying it wasn't fully explained and it leaves too much to speculation, which I've seen banded about in these forums for this movie as a bad thing.
Speculating what the character does off-screen is what's a bad thing. Like we shouldn't have to guess what the hell Logan does with Kayla when he finds her dead. Or why he can't tell that only blood is poured on her and there are no visible injuries and why the clothes aren't even torn. The things that you notice on first glance.

The inner workings of a Movie machine are the least of my worries.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #1497
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Well if you wanna get technical I could say it's probable that the bag of blood poured on her is her blood. Smelling sense covered.

He checks her pulse. There is no pulse, she appears dead. Simple.

The way his claws go all smooth and sharp are the least of my worries. That makes it a stalemate

Old 06-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #1498
Nathan

I'm just pointing out that there's a difference between the Movies. It may not annoy you, but simply from a logical standpoint, and things you can actually comprehend, Origins has more faults than X1. And every time I get shown a scene that yells movie magic, I get pulled out of the Movie.

Like Gambit lying on the floor and the next moment he's apparently running on roofs from the other side of town.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #1499
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Well if you wanna get technical I could say it's probable that the bag of blood poured on her is her blood. Smelling sense covered.

He checks her pulse. There is no pulse, she appears dead. Simple.

The way his claws go all smooth and sharp are the least of my worries. That makes it a stalemate
Well she should still be breathing to be technical or else she would die. Her breathing might have slowed with her pulse but she would still be breathing to supply oxygen to the brain.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #1500
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Well she should still be breathing to be technical or else she would die. Her breathing might have slowed with her pulse but she would still be breathing to supply oxygen to the brain.
Well, Wolverine didn't know it wasn't really Jean Grey entering his tent and climbing on top of him in X2. So much for mutant senses. He knew that it wasn't really Storm coming up behind him in X1.

Not to mention that Mystique shouldn't really have a scar. She's a metamorph, ya know? And wasn't the scar in X2 in a different place to the wound at the end of X1?