3 20 4.24%
2 9 1.91%
1 - Poor 45 9.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #1701
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Default Re: Rate and Review X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

Each time I watch this it becomes more and more apparent to me that most of the time Wolverine doesn't actually do anything in this movie. Even at the beginning with Weapon X's first mission...Zero kills those guys, Blob stops the tank, Wraith teleports, Deadpool kills all those dudes, that pointless other guy makes the elevator work, Sabretooth...uhh...climbs a wall?.....and Wolverine does....nothing. Seriously he does nothing in that scene at all.

And most of the movie is the same. Wolverine whines about what's happening, then runs away. Or get his ass kicked. Repeat. I know a lot of people like this movie, but every time I watch it I can't help but see how horrible it is and it gets worse with each viewing. They got so many things wrong. And that adamantium bullet just makes me want to punch myself in the face.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #1702
Storm22
Side-Kick

Finally watched this on DVD last night. Terrible movie - overacted, bland in terms of both cinematography and action and the FX were God awful in some parts.

All 3 X-Men movies are much better than this!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #1703
chris moore
Side-Kick

The bullet to the brain thing would have been more acceptable if they'd never mentioned it would wipe his memories rather than kill him. Firing an adamantium bullet into an otherwise unstoppable killing machine might have been the one thing to keep him down, and the last ditch attempt by Stryker to take out Logan. Memory wiping should have been an unforseen side effect to heal the tissue around his brain, not the intended effect.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #1704
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

I agree. If they had left that alternate memory erase scene in, it would have made more sense because you knew Stryker already had a plan to try and erase his memory (and maybe go back to his original plans for the post Weapon X procedure), but with that scene gone the whole 'his memories won't grow back' line just came out of nowhere. It would have been better if they'd just left that line out completely.

I'm not a big fan of that alternate memory scene, but it at least would have made the whole bullet thing work a little better.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #1705
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

I wonder why I'm softening up on this film lol.

Funny how Fox have raved about it, but it didn't really make a great deal of money, less than both X2 and the much hated X3 and it also got worse reviews than X3 did according to Rotten and Meta

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

Old 11-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #1706
sniktnbones
New User - Level 0

is there any logical explanation for Wolverine to leave the body of kayla in the woods? no burial? u just leave the body there and look for revenge?

that was dumb.

Wasn't in the thousand ppl crew that made the movie someone that could point that out?

they were dumb.

BTW when will Rothman retire? I hope soon.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #1707
valera

i would've given a 6 or a 7
wolverine is overrated
but then again, i gave an 8, mostly for Gambit
hehe

Old 12-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #1708
Rich Santoro
Addicted to degeneracy

There were lots of things wrong with it... many of them mentioned.

The whole thing was rushed. Two or three movies were crammed into one. They should have spent more time on the adamantium infusion, and how it snapped his psyche... and YES, he should have been shown doing more in the mission scenes. What exactly was he the best at doing, that wasn't very nice???

Will I Am was a poor decision... The Blob was just a weird thing... The bullet memory things was lame, as stated above.

I would have liked it if the whole movie took place in Wolverine's mind (though we wouldn't know it) with illusions created by Jason (Stryker's son that is apparently inspired by Mastermind).

So we watch as Wolverine goes through life and on missions (again we would not know this, but much of the scenes would be based on actual events from his life... but much of it altered, erased or added)... He periodically hears strange things, and sees strange people that seem out of place with what is happenning (this would be his senses penetrating the illusions for a moment). We would even see flashes of him thrashing in the water... then see him feeling around his face and head (due to the classis Weapon X mask / helmet thing, but he can't fully perceive it).

Finally, the movie would conclude with him starting to have more and more flashes of his real surroundings... to the point where he finally erupts from the water and goes bezerk. The escape from the facility could have been more elaborate (though he would need to get on a loin cloth or something). He runs off into forest and Stryker says that they have to bring him down.

Second movie could be him trying to piece things together (as some of the illsuions would have had some real things from his life). It would all be cloudy, and strange and he would approach people like Wraith reluctantly... It could end with another bout of illusions that affect his memory, rather than the bullet thing.

A much deeper psychological tale than what we got.

Last edited by Rich Santoro; 12-18-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #1709
J. Custer
Side-Kick

I grew up on early '80 X-books (back when there were only two and it was special to hold a fresh new X-men or New Mutants in your hands. Because it was a once a month treat) I couldn't get through the entire Wolverine movie because I despise the whole James Howlett/bone claws storyline/origin. Back in the day Wolverine was a mystery man. You didn't know squat about him and that made him a much more interesting character. Wolverine is pretty boring today. In this movie they threw all these random elements and stories into one big pot, and it just doesn't work. the movie should have been Barry Windsor Smiths Weapon X story and transitioned into the Japan mini series by fm and claremont.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #1710
Rich Santoro
Addicted to degeneracy

^ ftw

Old 12-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #1711
RomyFan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by valera View Post
i would've given a 6 or a 7
wolverine is overrated
but then again, i gave an 8, mostly for Gambit
hehe
Agrees

Old 02-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #1712
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey

I finally saw Wolverine. I give it a 7, it was an enjoyable film but IMO it wasn't very well put together. It seemed like a mix of so many things. I liked seeing Cyclops and Xavier in the film though! Too bad Ryan Reynolds didn't have more screentime.

A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #1713
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Santoro View Post

Will I Am was a poor decision... The Blob was just a weird thing... The bullet memory things was lame, as stated above.

I thought Will did allright and it was different how they handled Blob but I thought it worked .

After seeing this again on blu ray for the first time since last year the one thing that bothers me are the effects on the claws , lol . Aside from that
I thought the other effects were good with Wade slicing the bullet , Wraith teleporting , Sabretooth chading Cyclops , and the stuff with Gambit.
It's not as great as it could of been but I still find it entertaining.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #1714
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey

Well after rewatching it I actually liked it more the second time. It wasn't as boring as the first time watching it. So I think it deserves an 8 or 7.5.

A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #1715
topdog1
Hero For Hire

Lightbulb Re: Rate and Review X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
I know a lot of people like this movie, but every time I watch it I can't help but see how horrible it is and it gets worse with each viewing. They got so many things wrong. And that adamantium bullet just makes me want to punch myself in the face.
So, I guess it's stuck in your DVD tray and you have to keep watching it over and over??? I hated Punisher War Zone and Ghost Rider but I don't force myself to watch them over and over again and hop on line to whine about it months after the fact. I guess that's just me.

I enjoyed Wolverine MORE after watching it again. The little nuisances stand out more. I never had a problem with the adamantium bullet. It may come off as a shortcut but in the end it works just fine. Scientifically, it holds to the parameters set by the film universe. Anyone that doesn't see that is exposing their own shortcomings, not the films. Cinematically, it certainly is more dramatic and quite a shocking way to end a film. How many other action films end with the hero taking a brutal gunshot to the head as his girl lies dying?

The action was well shot and the cinematography is amazing. Some shots are more breathtaking the more you see them.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #1716
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog1 View Post
So, I guess it's stuck in your DVD tray and you have to keep watching it over and over??? I hated Punisher War Zone and Ghost Rider but I don't force myself to watch them over and over again and hop on line to whine about it months after the fact. I guess that's just me.

I enjoyed Wolverine MORE after watching it again. The little nuisances stand out more. I never had a problem with the adamantium bullet. It may come off as a shortcut but in the end it works just fine. Scientifically, it holds to the parameters set by the film universe. Anyone that doesn't see that is exposing their own shortcomings, not the films. Cinematically, it certainly is more dramatic and quite a shocking way to end a film. How many other action films end with the hero taking a brutal gunshot to the head as his girl lies dying?

The action was well shot and the cinematography is amazing. Some shots are more breathtaking the more you see them.
I don't know. when u think about it, it does kinda make sense, but for some reason the way the guy explained it in that scene just made the whole idea come off as cheesy to me. I guess the concept doesn't bother me, but the scene were it's explained does. like, it works fine, but at the same time some kinda brainwashing memory erasing machine/chamber still would have worked a lil better, despite the fact that it's been done b4.

1) The Avengers, 2) The Dark Knight, 3)Captain America:The Winter Soldier, 4) The Dark Knight Rises, 5) The Incredible Hulk, 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World,7) X-Men:FirstClass,8) Thor, 9) Thor:The Dark World, 10) Spider-Man 2,
Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #1717
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog1 View Post
If someone wants to complain about the movie, they have every right to do so here without getting that kind of attitude.

Seeing as this is the review thread, I see nothing wrong with the post you're responding to.

Hating the movie is NOT a crime.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #1718
The Slang
Side-Kick

I understand that it was basically impossible to stick completely to the original story (since some parts were never even explained), but I can't stand these easily pleased origins fans that demand other people enjoy the film and accuse anyone who doesn't of being a whiney, still-at-home, fanboy geek. In my opinion it takes a bigger geek to enjoy such cheesey watered down action/drama. It was kind of like 'hancock', in that it clearly had components that were not intended for children (claws, war, torture etc) while at the same time it was too cheesy and innocent to be intended for adults. No blood? Gambit can become a helicopter by spinning his staff in the air?? Rather than fast brutal battles, we got overly choreographed fancy interpretive dance moves. i wouldv'e liked most of the movie to take place during Logans time in the weapon x team.

Also, the x-men movies all focused maily on wolverine. So when they decide to actually give wolverine his own movie... it needlessly involves Xavier and cyclops?

Oh, and I would've LOVED one scene... just ONE SCENE where logan wears something resembling his costume (the brown/tan one preferably).

Old 03-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #1719
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

For Wolverine 2 I just hope its not all family friendly "Lets take 7year old Jimmy along" film.

Wolverine is not a child friendly guy no matter how hard Marvel try and make him, he is a killer, not this big soft hairy man he has turned into.

Seeing the trailer I was so hyped up for it .. then the leak came and I read about it, thought "Its ok they might be different to the real one" then I saw it twas a sad day.

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #1720
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Tom Rothman?

The biggest problem with this film for is that Wolverine is a pussy.

He killed more people in 10 minutes in X2 than he did in this WHOLE movie. And he is supposed to be MORE of an animal in his past.

I mean, his kill count didn't even hit double figures.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:41 AM   #1721
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Knaves View Post
Tom Rothman?

The biggest problem with this film for is that Wolverine is a pussy.

He killed more people in 10 minutes in X2 than he did in this WHOLE movie. And he is supposed to be MORE of an animal in his past.

I mean, his kill count didn't even hit double figures.
True...

Old 04-14-2010, 04:43 AM   #1722
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Yo Hugh if you're reading this... SORT IT OUT!!!

You're a nice guy, Wolverine ain't!

Old 04-14-2010, 05:11 AM   #1723
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Knaves View Post
Yo Hugh if you're reading this... SORT IT OUT!!!

You're a nice guy, Wolverine ain't!

X-Men (2000) Trivia:

Quote:
Hugh Jackman took cold showers to help him create the character Wolverine's trademark "berserk rage."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120903/trivia

Guess Hugh forgot to take cold showers for X3 and Wolverine plus the pussified script.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:24 AM   #1724
cchriswake13
Newbie First Class

A reasonable score is a -2

If the writers want to screw with multiple things I'll change some things too

Old 04-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #1725
TheVelvetOnion
Side-Kick

what would you change?

"Ha Ha Last Laugh!"
Closed Thread