The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 08-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
ask21771
Banned User

Default disney to own DC and marvel?

http://www.newsarama.com/21880-could...dc-merger.html

What are the odds of this happening and if it does happen will DC and marvel merge their continuities

ask21771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Default Re: disney to own DC and marvel?

The odds seem to be about 50/50 at this point based on the article.

As far as preference goes, surprisingly I would not mind it. The DC/Marvel divide has existed for so long that it seems natural to have them stay apart but that might just be a result of habit. The idea of having the universes merge in some way would be novel enough that it actually is somewhat appealing to me.

Only time will tell if this mind blowing feat will actually take place, but I like the idea of it potentially happening!

Dr. Remy Lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
MMMMM...Pancakes
SHOCK The World

I wouldn't want a merger of universes as so many of my favorite characters are B & C list...I fear I'd never see them again.

MMMMM...Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
ask21771
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Remy Lebeau View Post
The odds seem to be about 50/50 at this point based on the article.

As far as preference goes, surprisingly I would not mind it. The DC/Marvel divide has existed for so long that it seems natural to have them stay apart but that might just be a result of habit. The idea of having the universes merge in some way would be novel enough that it actually is somewhat appealing to me.

Only time will tell if this mind blowing feat will actually take place, but I like the idea of it potentially happening!
yeah I do too

Old 08-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
random_havoc
Last Remaining Sentry Fan

Keep separate but with occasional crossovers. Otherwise without competition we won't get as good comics overall

Doubt it'll happen though

random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I highly doubt that Time Warner will merge with the Walt Disney Company.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
ask21771
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I highly doubt that Time Warner will merge with the Walt Disney Company.
they've been in a hole since aol

Old 08-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
ask21771
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
Keep separate but with occasional crossovers. Otherwise without competition we won't get as good comics overall

Doubt it'll happen though
what about image comics

Old 08-18-2014, 01:08 AM   #9
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask21771 View Post
what about image comics
That's exactly what I was thinking. There are other comic companies to compete with.

Dr. Remy Lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:09 AM   #10
titansupes
Side-Kick

^ None of which are nearly big enough to compete with DC or Marvel, much less both under the one Disney financed banner.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
ask21771
Banned User

Well anyone else?

Old 08-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
they've been in a hole since aol
No they haven't. Ever since Jeff Bewkes took over, Time Warner has been a thriving company in terms of profitability thanks to the increased value of Time Warner's cable channels, Warner Bros. having a very successful film (Dark Knight Rises, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) and television slate (Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men being the most prominent), reducing debt (because he shed off Time Warner Cable, Time Inc. and AOL and placed a lot of the debt on them) and Bewkes increasing the value of Time Warner shares.

Last edited by hippie_hunter; 08-18-2014 at 05:50 PM.
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #13
luis4u
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
No they haven't. Ever since Jeff Bewkes took over, Time Warner has been a thriving company in terms of profitability thanks to the increased value of Time Warner's cable channels, Warner Bros. having a very successful film (Dark Knight Rises, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) and television slate (Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men being the most prominent), reducing debt (because he shed off Time Warner Cable, Time Inc. and AOL and placed a lot of the debt on them) and Bewkes increasing the value of Time Warner shares.
Don’t forget HBO or cinemax..

luis4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #14
ask21771
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis4u View Post
Don’t forget HBO or cinemax..
their still financially struggling

Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
luis4u
Side-Kick

Quote:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=113078

Old 08-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #16
luis4u
Side-Kick

I wonder what that means for DC tv shows

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...chinima-merger

Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #17
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

On the plus side, it would be neat to see certain marvel characters and certain DC characters interact. The Marvel universe could be the 53rd Earth in the DC multiverse.

I have always enjoyed DC Marvel Crossovers and crossovers in general.
X-Men/Teen Titans (waayyyy back in the day) was awesome.

On the mega minus side, it would give a virtual monopoly to one group, and that can't be good.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:50 PM   #18
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
1. As a grammar Nazi, you're using the wrong form of "they're," a conjunction of they and are. The form of their you're using refers to the plural form of possession of the word they.

2. Again, you're wrong. While cord cutting is a serious problem that cable has to deal with, HBO is still extremely profitable for Time Warner. Subscriptions for HBO have remained steady in recent years and has made $4.9 billion in revenue and $1.7 billion in profit in 2013. For Q2 2014, HBO's revenue increased 17%. HBO has benefited greatly from premium television shows such as Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Real Time with Bill Maher, Girls, etc.

3. As a whole, Time Warner is not struggling. As I have previously mentioned CEO Jeff Bewkes has focused increasing Time Warner's value for investors, focused on three very profitable divisions (Warner Bros. Entertainment, Turner Broadcasting System, and HBO), shedding away assets that were incompatible with Time Warner's current culture (AOL, Time Inc., Time Warner Cable), he has lowered Time Warner's debt by giving it to other companies, and has not burdened the company with debt by taking on acquisitions that are ripe for the taking like DreamWorks Animation and MGM. But most of all, Time Warner is profitable.

Now while I think Bewkes deserves criticism for not thinking outside the box and not being aggressive enough, I think that he should have acquired companies like DreamWorks Animation, MGM, and THQ. I think that while AOL needed to go, I think that if Bewkes reorganized his company a bit assets such as Warner Music Group, the Time Warner Book Group, Time Inc., and Time Warner Cable could have really complemented Time Warner. I believe that Bewkes' Time Warner is allowing certain assets such as DC Entertainment to squander. And he's trimmed down Time Warner so much to the point where it is now a natural acquisition target. But the days of AOL Time Warner are gone and it is a company with strong fundamentals.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #19
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

Highly unlikely this thing happens or goes through.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #20
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

It's not happening, Warner doesn't want to be bought. I think them re-organizing to look un appealing to Fox was a big way of showing that.

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #21
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
It's not happening, Warner doesn't want to be bought. I think them re-organizing to look un appealing to Fox was a big way of showing that.
Actually with the way Bewkes has reorganized Time Warner, he's turned it into a target that is ripe to be taken over by another media or tech conglomerate. He's been involved with shedding so many assets that it's made Time Warner small enough to easily takeover without having to deal with undesirable large entities. That's why 21st Century Fox tried to take it over. The reason why Murdoch backed down came from the simple fact that Time Warner's board was not willing to even discuss a merger or takeover.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #22
jjwsmith
Banned User

I think dc and marvel could benefit from this

jjwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #23
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't. I like DC and Marvel remaining separate. And I don't think that such a merger would be approved. While I think most concerns about the combination of Time Warner and Disneys' assets like their cable channels, movie studios, etc. would be unfounded, they would create far too powerful of a licensing giant to be acceptable. Think about it, Looney Tunes, DC Entertainment, Marvel Entertainment, Mickey Mouse & Friends, Pixar, Star Wars, Disney Princesses, ESPN, Hanna-Barbera, Harry Potter, Cartoon Network, etc. all under one banner is just far too powerful of a licensor. The only company that would be able to effectively compete with a combined Time Warner/Disney in the licensing department would probably be Hasbro.

Last edited by hippie_hunter; 09-04-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #24
jjwsmith
Banned User

It's free market capitalism

jjwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #25
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwsmith View Post
It's free market capitalism
Free market capitalism requires a degree of competition though. And you're not talking to someone who criticizes large corporations for the sake of large corporations. I often criticize people who don't know what they're talking about with upcoming mergers such as the Comcast takeover of Time Warner Cable, or Sprint's desire to takeover T-Mobile, or people saying that a monopoly would have been created by 21st Century Fox taking over Time Warner. But this would be too much in terms of actually reducing genuine competition and I just don't see how the Federal government would approve of this.

And while vast majority of Time Warner's properties such as Turner and HBOs' cable channels and WB Games would be able to be absorbed into the Walt Disney Company without problems of monopoly, the licensing giant created by absorbing the IPs of Warner Bros., HBO, and Turner into Disney Consumer Products would be too much for the DOJ and FCC to accept. With a few minor things such as Viacom's Nickelodeon properties and Hasbro, there just would not be an effective competitor. Add in that combining Turner Sports with the ESPN juggernaut and Warner Bros. Pictures in the already vast Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group would most likely be frowned upon as well.

And creatively I just don't see it working out either. While certain properties such as DC Entertainment, Looney Tunes, Cartoon Network, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Hanna-Barbera would fit in with Disney very nicely, other Time Warner IPs such as Game of Thrones, Mortal Kombat, True Blood, Big Bang Theory, etc. just wouldn't work very well.

Last edited by hippie_hunter; 09-04-2014 at 05:53 PM.