Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #76
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Morrison's Multiversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman View Post

I hope he does Halloween World.
I now have the image of the Nightmare Before Christmas.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #77
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
It was pretty obvious though. Expect a Cameron Stewart or even Phillip Tan announcement too.
Oh god. No Phillip Tan. Please, comic Gods, no.

http://www.glitchpoint.com

Check out their song Ignition
SpideyInATree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #78
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyInATree View Post
Oh god. No Phillip Tan. Please, comic Gods, no.

I don't like him either but Mr. Morrison tends to use the same revolving door of recent collaborators all the time. He's established a working relationship with Tan now like he did with Quitely, Stewart, Irving, Jimenez in the past and now Daniel & Paquette as well. It just seems obvious look how I called the Stewart **** right away when I was just joshing lol

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #79
Drz
Real Hero

Tan's art is highly depended on the inker if you ask me. Agent Orange had good art if you ask me, and i didn't hate his Batman & Robin work.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #80
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I don't like him either but Mr. Morrison tends to use the same revolving door of recent collaborators all the time. He's established a working relationship with Tan now like he did with Quitely, Stewart, Irving, Jimenez in the past and now Daniel & Paquette as well. It just seems obvious look how I called the Stewart **** right away when I was just joshing lol
Yeah. Morrison is also working with Sean Hayes currently on Joe the Barbarian and maybe they could use Sean's freakin' awesomeness over the mediocrity that is Phillip Tan.

Maybe Tan has had better pencils on other stuff but his Batman and Robin stint almost took me right out of the book. I have seen worse artwork it's just that it was all over the place.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #81
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Tan's art is highly depended on the inker if you ask me. Agent Orange had good art if you ask me, and i didn't hate his Batman & Robin work.
Funny cause I thought his work on GL sucked. His B&R was more tolerable to me but both were far too scratchy for my tastes.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #82
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyInATree View Post
Yeah. Morrison is also working with Sean Hayes currently on Joe the Barbarian and maybe they could use Sean's freakin' awesomeness over the mediocrity that is Phillip Tan.

Maybe Tan has had better pencils on other stuff but his Batman and Robin stint almost took me right out of the book. I have seen worse artwork it's just that it was all over the place.
Sean Murphy. But yeah, I'd gladly take Murphy (and a lot of others) over Tan.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #83
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Is Joe the Barbarian good, btw? I'm thinking about buying it when it gets collected.

H.E.(R?)
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #84
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

It's all right. I think it'll definitely be a story I need to see completed before I can really form an opinion on it, though.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #85
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Seemed everyone else was loving it from the beginning, but I never found it all that great until it hit about the halfway point. It was okay, but as far as it goes for the whole average kid falling into a fantasy world, it never grabbed me until about issue five or six. The art is pretty fantastic, though, and really fits the story perfectly.

Though, as I said, I'm in the minority on that one. Most people were gushing all over it from pretty much the very beginning.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #86
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

I keep expecting it to be more complex somehow. Maybe that's just pinning an arbitrary expectation on it because it's written by Morrison, but it feels kind of... plain. Like you said, it's just another average kid falling into a fantasy world scenario right now.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #87
Drz
Real Hero

Yeah it's an avarage story with stunning art.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #88
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I now have the image of the Nightmare Before Christmas.

I would read that

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Mystirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:54 AM   #89
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Sean Murphy. But yeah, I'd gladly take Murphy (and a lot of others) over Tan.
God darnit!

I always do that. I know a guy who draws real good named Sean Hayes and whenever I talk about Sean Murphy I always refer to him as Sean Hayes.

Damn, you, Hayes, DAMN YOU!!!

And, yes, Joe the Barbarian is a very good story. It's not over yet so I shouldn't jump ahead of myself but the way things have been going it's been very worth the price of admission, if not for the Murphy artwork. Just beautiful.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 AM   #90
Gabe99
Side-Kick

THE BAT SIGNAL: Frazer Irving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiel Phegley
This week, CBR's THE BAT SIGNAL digs deep into the Morrison/Irving partnership, looking back at the pair's introductions through their first work as Irving tells CBR News how despite his best efforts, he hasn't been able to escape drawing Puritans, the way in which Morrison's loose scripting style has afforded him control over some of "Batman And Robin's" most memorable images and how the partnership will carry on to "Multiversity" and perhaps a few points beyond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiel Phegley

What's next for you? Do you foresee more Batman work in the near future or more work with Grant?

Grant has reserved a small part of my soul already to do something called "Multiversity," which sounds all rather excellent and right up my alley. I'm on the roster for some other Grant Batman stuff later apparently, but 'til that comes around I'm still doing the will-draw-for-food thing. I have one gig lined up for next year which is a *censored* series which is really cool cos I was a huge fan of the original, and possibly doing a *name omitted* series which could be exciting because I have no idea who the character is, but before any of that happens I'll be returning to and completing the fondly missed "Gutsville" as of 21st October 2010. I expect that will take me about 3 months, so I am stocking up on lentils and cheap soya protein for the winter months.

Last edited by Gabe99; 10-26-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 AM   #91
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Default Re: Morrison's Multiversity: Pax Americana

From Bleeding Cool:
Grant Morrison And Frank Quitely’s Pax Americana From DC Comics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Johnston
Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely’s book as part of the ten issue Multiversity series next year, will be entitled Pax Americana, as the Charlton/Watchmenesque characters we saw in Final Crisis get their own book. Morrison told UK newstand magazine Comic Heroes that;

Quote:
We thought it would be appropriate to re-think and update the kind of in-your-face self-relecting narrative techniques used by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons and to apply them to a whole new story which asks ‘what if Watchmen had been conceived now, in the contemporary political landscape and with the Charlton characters themselves, rather than analogues?

So the cover hs a close-up on a burning peace flag and a Delmore Schwartz quote – ‘Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn’ – and it all blossoms from there.
You might be able to predict Moore’s reaction to this news, but Morrison also goes to contradict Moore’s allegations of creative bankruptcy at DC, recycling and reinterpreting his ideas, stating that’s the very nature of superhero books.

Quote:
They’re designed to be told over and over again. If you were an Aboriginal kid or a tribal shaman, that’s what you’d do, you’d participate in the recycling of old stories, the ‘revamping’ of characters and scenarios, the explaining away of plot holes. Some to the job with more skill than others, but if you work with Marvel, DC or other companies’ pulp fiction characters, you’re basically repainting pictures of the ancestors on cave walls.
Of only Marvel or DC would take that on as a slogan. Marvel Comics – basically repainting pictures of the ancestors on cave walls since 1961.

As for Moore’s allegations of no decent mainstream comics for twenty-odd years, he refutes that naming Enigma, Rogan Gosh, Sandman and his own Flex Mentallo and All Star Superman as being non-inspired by Watchmen

There’s plenty more in the interview with Stephen Jewell. The Comic Heroes magazine also has an editorial by me and a piece about digital comics I wrote too. Blimey, they must be desperate! Find it on British newstands right now, where some helpful souls may have stacked it in between SFX and CLiNT.

Last edited by Gabe99; 10-26-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #92
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Default Re: Morrison's Multiversity: Thunderworld

Newsarama @ SDCC 2010: DC Focus: Grant Morrison
Quote:
Concrete date from Multiversity? "I can't give you a concrete date because Frank Quitely is drawing one," Morrison said with a laugh, adding that he thinks next summer.

Morrison informs the crowd that Absolute We3 comes out next year, with 10 pages of new Frank Quitely art that essentially serves as "the definitive, director's cut edition."

Audience member asked if Morrison might go back to the New Gods in the future. Morrison indicated that he probably would, and likes them being on Earth 51 with Kamandi, putting Kirby concepts together and "going from scratch on a new world."

Any chance Morrison might take on the Marvel (Shazam) family? Morrison said that one of the Multiversity titles will be a 38-pager called "Thunder World," and contains "everything I wanted to say about those characters."

Plans for more Justice League? Morrison said that there's going to be a version of the Justice League in Multiversity, with members from across alternate worlds.
From Bleeding Cool:
Thunderworld – 38 Pages Of Captain Marvel by Grant Morrison and Cameron Stewart

Old 10-26-2010, 03:04 AM   #93
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From io9:
Grant Morrison's Philosophy Of Comics
Quote:
I was also wondering if you could update us on your "new Watchmen" Multiversity project.

It's coming along well. I'm writing it at the back end of everything else. I want it to be the best thing I've ever done, so I've been taking my time with the issues. But yes, it's progressing well. You'll see it probably Summer 2011.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:07 AM   #94
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From Weekly Crisis:

The Multiversity - Grant Morrison, Watchmen 2, All-Star Captain Marvel & More!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Warren
In an interview in this week's issue of Wizard, Grant Morrison confirmed he will be writing a new Multiverse-based comic, tentatively (at least, I hope it's tentative) titled, The Multiversity. We'd already known about Morrison's desires to do a Final Crisis followup that explored the Multiverse, but this is the first time we've heard any details on the book, it's tentative release schedule or concrete facts on what Morrison had planned. Hit the jump for some juicy quotes, a rundown of what to expect from The Multiversity and everything else we know so far.

What Is The Multiversity?

The Multiversity is a seven-issue series of one-shots, written by Grant Morrison, that will establish seven different Earths from throughout the Multiverse. These seven issues, while telling separate stories, will link together to reestablish the connection between the DCU and the Multiverse. In Morrison's own words,

I've started a series called The Multiversity, which will pick up a bunch of strands from 52 and Final Crisis. Back when we laid out the return of the Multiverse in 52, I asked if I could establish some of these books as potential ongoing series. We wanted to set up each universe as its own franchise. [...]

So this is my big project for the next year, and I'm working on books for seven different parallel universes. Each one is a first issue with a complete story and series bible. Each one spotlights the major superhero group of a different alternate reality. And they all link together together as a seven-issue story that reimagines the relationship between the DCU and the Multiverse.

Watchmen 2 - Watching Harder

The only other Earth mentioned was the little known Earth-4, home to the Charlton Comics characters, best described as 'the Watchmen Earth' to comic fans. Morrison had all kinds of things to say about this story.

On the reasons behind choosing to do a new Watchmen,

I thought it would be interesting to pick up on that sort of crystalline, self-reflecting storytelling method, so the mad notion I came up with was to do the Charlton characters in a story I'd construct as an update on that ludic Watchmen style - if Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons had pitched the Watchmen now, rooted in a contemporary political landscape but with the actual Charlton characters instead of analogues!

But, wait, it gets even better. He goes on to talk about several of the characters involved, particularly Dr Manhattan and Rorschach. Dr Manhattan will revert to Captain Atom, but with a twist. This Captain Atom will actually be Captain Adam from Morrison's Final Crisis: Superman Beyond story.

Rorschach will return to being The Question again, but, instead of the black and white, right and wrong viewpoint of Rorschach, Morrison described his Question as someone who's Randian viewpoint had been "shattered through the prisms of his experiences as a crimefighter so that he sees the world through the multicolored lens of Spiral Dynamics."

For those wondering what Spiral Dynamics are, I did a quick Wikipedia search and came up with this brief explaination:

Spiral Dynamics argues that human nature is not fixed: humans are able, when forced by life conditions, to adapt to their environment by constructing new, more complex, conceptual models of the world that allow them to handle the new problems. Each new model includes and transcends all previous models. According to Beck and Cowan, these conceptual models are organized around so-called Memes: systems of core values or collective intelligences, applicable to both individuals and entire cultures.

Basically, we can expect him to be an 'I can haz cheezburger'-meme spouting, 4chan user. Okay, okay, I admit, I might be a little off on my interpretation of Spiral Dynamics. It does sound like an interesting take and very Morrisonian-like in nature, though, which could be a good or bad thing, depending on who you ask.

Like Final Crisis, But On Crack

What will further divide fandom into love/hate groups in regards to Morrison's work is the so-called description of The Multiversity and the Watchmen followup, in particular. Speaking about the murder scene from the Watchmen issue, Morrison described it as such (emphasis mine),

There's a very different kind of murder mystery at the heart and the whole thing can be read backwards, forwards and sideways.

Further describing the book, Morrison was quoted as saying,

It's been fun to do that kind of style but rethink it and try to play a new version of that 'sound' without copying anything directly. We've got 12-panel grids and pages where you're seeing the events leading to a murder, the murder itself and the investigation all happening simultaneously across the same background. I'm right in the middle of that one, so it's fresh in my mind.

His use of the word, 'sound', might bring up bad memories of Superman singing Darkseid to death in Final Crisis, but it's hard not to feel Morrison's enthusiasm for the project throughout the interview. While it does not guarantee a 'Watchmen 2', as I doubt anyone could duplicate that level of work, especially in a single issue, it's hard not to be excited over the prospect of a Morrison written Watchmen.

It's still a long ways off, but use the words Morrison, Watchmen and All-Star anything to describe a project and I doubt there's anyone not excited on some level. It does raise some interesting questions, though.

From Bleeding Cool:
Get Ready For Watchmen 2

From CBR:
Grant Morrison's Multiversity
Quote:
Sure, it’s over a year away. But with the interweb buzzing about Grant Morrison’s next major project for DC Comics, CBR News rang up the superstar Scottish scribe to talk “Multiversity.”

Always generous with his time, Morrison shared news that the eight-issue miniseries would tell one massive story, but could also potentially lead to multiple new lines of comics.

With the Multiverse now capped at 52 worlds, Morrison chose his six favorite Earths to tell his story, while the seventh and eighth books will focus on the Multiverse as a whole.

To find out which Earths will be explored, which issue is haunted and which cosmic carrot chomping champion will be along for the ride, climb onboard starship Morrison, because we’re taking off now.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #95
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Haha the Charlton comics issue of Multiversity sounds

Old 10-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #96
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Eight issue mini-series? I always thought it was suppose to be ten.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #97
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

The Bleeding Cool article says it will be ten issues long

Old 10-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #98
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Yeah, you're right, they do, but CBR says eight and they actually have a break down on the eight issue setup and everything. I always heard it was suppose to be ten, so maybe BC is right.

Quote:
Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #99
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Maybe there is a prolouge and epilouge to the Multiversity story that will comprise two additional issues

Old 10-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #100
TimBisley
Banned User

I'm pretty pumped for this.

TimBisley is offline   Reply With Quote