The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 05-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #51
Timstuff
Banned User

Default Re: Plot holes/poor storytelling discussion

Here's a big one:

How come an adamentium bullet can piece Wolverine's skull, even though he can grind his claws together wthout damaging them, and he can block blows from Barakapool without his claws getting cut in half? I mean really, WHY?

Timstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #52
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

And how does his adamentium skull heal itself from said bullets?

Old 05-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #53
Timstuff
Banned User

And how come when they scanned him in X1, there weren't two little bullets floating around in his head?

Old 05-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #54
DonnyLebeau
The Ragin' Cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstuff View Post
Here's a big one:

How come an adamentium bullet can piece Wolverine's skull, even though he can grind his claws together wthout damaging them, and he can block blows from Barakapool without his claws getting cut in half? I mean really, WHY?

A simple Physics lesson would answer your question. Velocity would probably be the key here. A bullet travels at a velocity of 1000 miles/second. Wolverine swiping his claws at someone or grinding them together is MUCH slower velocity than that and therefore would do far less damage.

In X-2 Wolverine's skull was dented by a regular policemen's bullet, so one would have to believe an Adamantium bullet would penetrate further.

A couple of plot holes I thought of were...

- In the labratory scene, how would Wolvie not pick up the scents of Silver Fox, Sabretooth AND Deadpool? They were all within a 20 ft. radius of him, yet he looked SO SHOCKED when Silver Fox "appeared" behind him, eventhough she was standing there for a few seconds. He picked up Mystique's scent in the Statue of Liberty in X-1 quite easily.

- Why would Bradley go from being a govt. agent with the power to control machinery to a carny worker making a couple dollars a day? With his powers, he certainly could get a better job and pretend that he could run advanced machinery. Even if Stryker ruined his rep and credentials for leaving it shouldn't have been THAT bad. For crying out loud,Stryfe was managing a gym and running fights when all he can do is TELEPORT!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #55
DonnyLebeau
The Ragin' Cajun

Quote:
And how come when they scanned him in X1, there weren't two little bullets floating around in his head?
You can't REALLY use this film to find plot holes in a movie made 10 years ago. They didn't know then they were going to make a spinoff flick and were only creating a triology based on the comic books.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #56
Blade X
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's an easy one to explain. The bullets exited through the back of his skull.

Blade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #57
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyLebeau View Post
You can't REALLY use X-men to compare plot holes in this film because it was made 10 years ago. They didn't know then they were going to make a spinoff flick and were creating a triology based on the comic books.
No, but when writing a script shouldn't they have used the other films as a reference point?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #58
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
You can't REALLY use this film to find plot holes in a movie made 10 years ago. They didn't know then they were going to make a spinoff flick and were creating a triology based on the comic books.
Actually you can, because if they had cared about the problems the script would have caused, they would have changed that. Its the same thing with Burton's Batman series getting a drastic makeover by Batman forever & Batman and Robin, now Fox suffers the consuqences. :P

Old 05-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #59
not_a_victim
Side-Kick

Quote:
A simple Physics lesson would answer your question. Velocity would probably be the key here. A bullet travels at a velocity of 1000 miles/second. Wolverine swiping his claws at someone or grinding them together is MUCH slower velocity than that and therefore would do far less damage.

In X-2 Wolverine's skull was dented by a regular policemen's bullet, so one would have to believe an Adamantium bullet would penetrate further.

A couple of plot holes I thought of were...

- In the labratory scene, how would Wolvie not pick up the scents of Silver Fox, Sabretooth AND Deadpool? They were all within a 20 ft. radius of him, yet he looked SO SHOCKED when Silver Fox "appeared" behind him, eventhough she was standing there for a few seconds. He picked up Mystique's scent in the Statue of Liberty in X-1 quite easily.

- Why would Bradley go from being a govt. agent with the power to control machinery to a carny worker making a couple dollars a day? With his powers, he certainly could get a better job and pretend that he could run advanced machinery. Even if Stryker ruined his rep and credentials for leaving it shouldn't have been THAT bad. For crying out loud,Stryfe was managing a gym and running fights when all he can do is TELEPORT!
A simle ballistics lesson would be the key here. Bullets do not travel anywhere near that fast.
The hottest conventional rifle rounds travel only around 4200 feet per second, giving them less than one mile/second. (One mile = 5280 feet).

not_a_victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #60
Blade X
Side-Kick

Quote:
For crying out loud,Stryfe was managing a gym and running fights when all he can do is TELEPORT!
You mean John Wraith, not Stryfe.

IMO, they should have had Wraith become a secret agent like he was in the comics after he left Team X (he had connections to SHIELD in the comics).

Old 05-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #61
Blade X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
And how does his adamentium skull heal itself from said bullets?
This is one of the biggest plot holes in the movie. IMO, they should have used Silver Fox to wipe his memory instead of that whole stupid "adamantium bullet to the brain" crap.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #62
Timstuff
Banned User

I have a better idea: have Logan lose his memory half way through the movie from the trauma of surgery, like was implied in the other 3 films.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #63
DonnyLebeau
The Ragin' Cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
No, but when writing a script shouldn't they have used the other films as a reference point?
I had written it in-correctly and edited it. But my point was that you can't use this film to find a plot hole in X-men(made 10 years ago)

They obviously didn't have a reason for the memory loss then, and seemed to have overlooked that 3 seconds of footage from X-men when writing the Origins script. I'm sure the rational they came up with was "healing factor"

Old 05-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #64
DonnyLebeau
The Ragin' Cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_victim View Post
A simle ballistics lesson would be the key here. Bullets do not travel anywhere near that fast.
The hottest conventional rifle rounds travel only around 4200 feet per second, giving them less than one mile/second. (One mile = 5280 feet).
Either way, the velocity of a bullet is MUCH faster than a guy swinging his arms.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #65
Blade X
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have a better idea: have Logan lose his memory half way through the movie from the trauma of surgery, like was implied in the other 3 films.
That is a much better idea and makes a whole lot more sense.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #66
Nightmare689
Side-Kick

Someone please tell me WHEN did Wolverine start going by the name LOGAN in the movie?

i would understand that he changed his name when he left the team after the first mission to gain a normal life, but Stryker only called him that and such.

Nightmare689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #67
DonnyLebeau
The Ragin' Cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare689 View Post
Someone please tell me WHEN did Wolverine start going by the name LOGAN in the movie?

i would understand that he changed his name when he left the team after the first mission to gain a normal life, but Stryker only called him that and such.
He probably adopted that sur-name when he ran away from home with Victor. He was a wanted murderer as James Howlett, so probably started going by Logan to avoid authorities and join the army without any background check issues(which may not have even existed during the civil war)

Old 05-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #68
crazyrabbits
Side-Kick

Well, let's get this out of the way first. A plot hole is usually an element that changes from one installment of a series or movie to another. That's the agreed-upon definition. It's a continuity error when plot elements don't make sense within the same film.

Sure, X1 was made in 2000, but if Jackman and co. knew they were going to make a prequel, they could have TRIED to make it more in-line with the trilogy. All the elements were set up in X2 to make this an awesome film. What happened?

Some of the most notable plot holes came during the adamantium surgery sequence. Let me see if I can remember them:

-The big one: Logan's flashback of the surgery in X2 indicated that people were working on him when he broke free, and he ran through a tunnel screaming with blood on his hands before opening a door to escape. Here, he jumps and runs out a closing security door, slashes open a wall and jumps off a waterfall.
-The location of Alkali Lake seems to have been changed. It's right near a conveniently-placed waterfall.
-When Jean Grey scanned Logan in X1, she noted that there were mechanical pistons (movement mechanisms) in his hands. Those are not given to him during the surgery scene.
-(Continuity) For a guy who's had...what, 25 or 50 pounds of adamantium injected directly throughout his body, Logan seems remarkably spry. He should have been off-balance and struggling to fight.
-(Continuity) Why didn't Agent Zero have the adamantium bullets during the surgery scene? He shoots Logan with a useless regular bullet and expected that to work. Then, after he dies, Stryker conveniently brings out the super bullets. What a dick.

crazyrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #69
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
His blades were already out.
No they weren't.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #70
Da_Lycan
Side-Kick

If Stryker was arrested for killing the general?..i dont remember what the other guy was i just remember he was a high up army/government person. Anyway if he was arrested for killing him...wouldn't Stryker be in jail for a long time or executed or something? Yet in X2 he's allowed to remain a free man and still be a high up goverment/army official.

Also why give Wolverine adamantium in the first place? Didn't stryker have enough test subjects? If the requirement was to have a healing factor well Sabretooth could have done it. And why was Wolverine and Deadpool able to have adamantium but it wouldn't work for Sabretooth? It really made no sense.

And it seemed that not every member of team x had powers. Someone told me that agent zero was supposed to be maverick. I don't know if its true since i never heard of zero till the movie. Is his power super accuracy? That's just random. Any human can gain accuracy. And did deadpool have powers originally? Or were they all given to him?

Last edited by Da_Lycan; 05-02-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Da_Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #71
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Great thread guys.

I can't stop laughing. It's clear that this flick is a mess.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #72
Spiderine
Business as Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Lycan View Post
If Stryker was arrested for killing the general?..i dont remember what the other guy was i just remember he was a high up army/government person. Anyway if he was arrested for killing him...wouldn't Stryker be in jail for a long time or executed or something? Yet in X2 he's allowed to remain a free man and still be a high up goverment/army official.

Also why give Wolverine adamantium in the first place? Didn't stryker have enough test subjects? If the requirement was to have a healing factor well Sabretooth could have done it. And why was Wolverine and Deadpool able to have adamantium but it wouldn't work for Sabretooth? It really made no sense.

And it seemed that not every member of team x had powers. Someone told me that agent zero was supposed to be maverick. I don't know if its true since i never heard of zero till the movie. Is his power super accuracy? That's just random. Any human can gain accuracy. And did deadpool have powers originally? Or were they all given to him?
I originally thought he wanted to test it on Wolverine as opposed to Sabretooth because he didn't know if the subject would survive the experiment. He was willing to take the risk on Wolverine instead. He seem to want to keep Sabretooth around as his lackey. What I didn't understand was after the experiment was a success why he told Sabretooth it would not work on him.

But yeah, I agree with most of you that there are numerous inconsistencies in the film. For this to be a PREQUEL they seem to ignore aspects of the Xmen trilogy.

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #73
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Great thread guys.

I can't stop laughing. It's clear that this flick is a mess.
That's a frickin understatement.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #74
gridlockd
Side-Kick

Doesnt Sabertooth have a healing factor? If so, why did Striker need Logans' DNA? Because of the adamandtium? That's on his bones. Why would it effect his DNA?

And since when does Adamantium come from outer space? I majored in fictional metals in college and I never heard that.

gridlockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #75
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
- Cyclops has laser eyes in this movie and not optic blasts but when Deadpool uses them against Creed, no hole is burned through Creed's body and his clothes aren't even burnt and then they return back to laser beams.

- Stryker walks off of an island.

- Wolverine either leaves Kayla's body to rot in the woods, takes her back to their house, or allows the cops/medics to get the body but never wonders what happened to it or if there was a funeral for the woman he loved. He also could not smell with his super senses that it wasn't her blood and he doesn't go bounding after Creed right then and there for killing the woman he loved.

- The cages that housed the mutants for six years had no toilets or beds in them.

- Wolverine's bone claws are broken but adamantium somehow completes the broken set and even changes the entire appearance of the bone claws on its own in liquid form.

- Stryker only wants Wolverine's DNA but decides to give him an indestructible skeleton and smartly orders his termination after the procedure.

- Barakapool's can bend his arms with 3 foot long arm blades in them.

- Wolverine boxes Blob but threatens him with his claws after the fight when he could have done that to begin with.

- The back door to Stryker's facility leads off of a cliff...good door placement.

- Cyclops does not use his eye beams to escape the wire mesh cage he is being held in.

- After loosing his memory, Logan remembers where he left his jacket the old man gave him that seems to also be indestructible.

- One of the guys on Team X that cannot die is not sent in first.

- Gambit's guards played cards with him when he is a captive that can escape by touching objects.

- Professor Xavier knew about the Weapon X facility and decided to show up at that exact moment.

- Magneto's kids are being held captive in a facility filled with metal and they are still there.

- Cyclops can wear sun glasses to every class but Spanish.

- Gambit can recover from being knocked out and appear on a roof in mere seconds.

- LCD computer screens and television monitors existed in the 70's-80's.

- Wolverine will fight in American wars for 2 centuries but when asked to rejoin he proclaims that he isn't American.

- Wolverine can stop laser beams with his claws and also charge up a force that can repel back to the source.
This is like scripture..

I noticed someone mentioned that Wolverine can also bend his arms despite having blades in them, like Barakapool. Well it was clearly shown that his claws retract back well past the wrist, so he would be able to bend his arms.