View Poll Results: New actor?
Yes! 50 29.07%
No, I want Jackman! 100 58.14%
Not sure. 22 12.79%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #226
AceofSpades266
Pick a Card, Any Card

Default Re: Aynone else kinda done with Jackman's Wolverine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baTT View Post
Hell ya, the game demo was pretty bad ass. Hacking and slashing through people and getting all bloodied up. I think I might actually like the game a little more than the movie because of all that.

yea, the demo is what made me get the game. i played the demo like 20 times in a row then the next day went and bought the game. this game is good times, tons of fun!

ive never been to much a fan of wolverine...but jackmans wolvie in the movies i dont mind

AceofSpades266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #227
Blade X
Side-Kick

I'm kind of done with the entire current X-Men franchise. IMO, after Wolverine 2 is made, I think the entire X-Men franchise needs to be rebooted from scratch with an brand new cast (except for Patrick Stewart as Prof. X and Ian Mckeller as Magneto) that is more faithful to the comics. And when I say more faithful, I mean as close to the comics as possible with colorful costumes and everything. The first movie should be called the already announced X-MEN:FIRST CLASS and feature the original 5 X-Men. The 2nd movie should be called X-MEN:SECOND GENESIS and introduce the new X-Men (Wolverine,Colossus,Storm,Banshee, Thunderbird,Sunfire,and Nightcrawler). Jackman should NOT play Wolverine in these movies, but should remain involved with the movies as a producer. Heck, if he dyes his hair red, he could even be recast in the movie as Banshee. They need to hire a shorter person to play Wolverine (maybe Doug Ray Scott can finally get his chance at the role).

OMT, maybe it's not Jackman as Wolverine that people are tired of, but the way the character's movie incarnation is written/depicted in the movie. Let's be honest, seeing Wolverine running around in the movies in either a wife beater or black leather uniform is pretty unimpressive and boring when you compare his movie incarnation with other superheroes movie incarnations that wear colorful costumes. Hell, even the colorful costumes in the current STAR TREK movie come off more visually pleasing and exciting then the tired black leather and wife beating costumes worn by Wolverine in the X-MEN movies.

Last edited by Blade X; 05-10-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Blade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #228
Project862006
Banned User

^ you do realize wolverine comic costume would never ever work on film the writers of wolverine even agree on this on the x men 2 dvd

what signer and co. brought is they know what could or could not work

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #229
Blade X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
^ you do realize wolverine comic costume would never ever work on film the writers of wolverine even agree on this on the x men 2 dvd

what signer and co. brought is they know what could or could not work
Wolverine has had more then one type of costume over the last 30+ years, so they don't have to use the yellow costume for the movie. I think that his first X-MEN EVOLUTION costume (the orange and black one) and his black and dark gray X-FORCE costume would look fine on screen in a live action movie.

Blade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #230
Be Snikt-Happy
Im changing Daken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
I'm kind of done with the entire current X-Men franchise. IMO, after Wolverine 2 is made, I think the entire X-Men franchise needs to be rebooted from scratch with an brand new cast (except for Patrick Stewart as Prof. X and Ian Mckeller as Magneto)

I was never a fan of them as Prof X and Magneto either. If they reboot, do a new cast. They can have Hugh Jackman cameo briefly as an angry biker that pissed off the new guy playing Cyclops

Old 07-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #231
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

I, for one, am tired of seeing Jackman as Wolverine.

Indeed, after watching Origins, I left the theater NOT wanting any more sequels with Jackman and the current movie Wolverine. In fact, I left the movie NOT wanting anymore movies related to this current X-men movie universe started by Singer. I left wanting a REBOOT of everything.

First of all, Wolverine is NOT 6'2". He needs to be shorter than the average male, that's an integral part of his character. He should NOT be taller, or as tall as, most of his male co-stars in the movie. I'd say 5'8" to 5'9" should be the max height for a Wolverine actor ( the closer to 5'3" the better, of course ).

Now, for some people, Wolverine's height is not that important. But, for me, it is VERY important. Why? Because I am a short guy, and I've always been short. In fact, I am right at Wolverine's height in the comics, 5'3".

It gave me great pide to learn that one of the most iconic, successful, popular, and bad a** comic characters was a short guy like myself. Hence, I was very disappointed to learn that a 6'2" actor was cast to play my favorite comic character on the big screen.

Also, Wolverine is supposed to be wild, feral, and savage. He's a beast, an animal, a berserker. Jackman's Wolverine was entirely too "soft" and "tame" throughout the X-men movies. And, he seemed to get progressively softer and tamer as the series progressed.

So....yes, I am done with Jackman's Wolverine. In fact, I would like to see the entire cast of X-men replaced ( with the possible exception of Patrick Stewart as Xavier ) and have the whole damn thing rebooted.

With that being said, I'm not mad at Jackman. He did his part and played his role.

Ultimately, I'm mad at Singer ( and Fox ) who cast a TALL actor to play a SHORT character in the first place and who developed the character's portrayal in the movies.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #232
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

And, some people say, who'd want to see a short guy play the lead role in a hollywood movie?

I say.....why not? Why does every leading man or action hero have to be "tall and handsome?"

Case in point.....Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach in Watchmen.

In the Watchmen graphic novel, Rorschach is a SHORT character, only 5'6" in height. Like Wolverine, his short stature is an integral part of his character.

When Snyder cast the movie Rorschach, did he choose a 6' plus tall actor to play a 5'6" character? NO, he chose Haley, who is about.....5'5" - 5'6". IOW.....Snyder cast a SHORT actor to play a SHORT character.

Look also at Tobey Maguire, Daniel Radcliffe ( Harry Potter ), Robert Downey Jr., Tom Cruise, even Sylvester Stallone, Wesley Snipes, Mark Wahlberg, and Jason Statham.

Maguire, Radcliffe, Downey Jr., and Cruise are shorter than Stallone, Snipes, Wahlberg, and Statham. However, all of them are under 6' tall and definitely shorter than Jackman's 6'2" height.

Heck, even two of the actors in Origins' Team X are shorter than Jackman. will.i.am and Dominic Monaghan are around 5'8" to 5'9". Again, shorter than Jackman's 6'2".

Now, I'm not saying any of those actors would be good for Wolverine. But, their height would have been much more appropriate for Wolverine than Jackman's height.

Again, I'm not really mad at Jackman......

But, if Singer and co really looked hard, if they really wanted to stay as faithful to the comic book source material as possible, I'm sure they could have found a shorter actor who could have portrayed a wild, savage, violence-proned Wolverine........

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #233
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Two whole posts about the height thing? Really?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #234
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

People still moaning about the height?

Ace of Knaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #235
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

well....yes!

a guy has the right to rant, doesn't he???

for me, height is an important issue; it always has been.

Most male comic book characters are 6' and above. Either that, or they're in the 5'8" to 5'10" area. IOW.....most male comic book characters are usually tall or above average size. Usually, they are not short.

Except......Wolverine!! He was the exception to the rule; he broke the mold.

When I found out Wolverine was only my height, 5'3", I was surprised but also proud. Out of all the great comic book characters, I was closest in height to one of the most bad a** of them all......Wolverine!!

And, this may sound corny, but short characters like Wolverine are one of the reasons why, instead of wishing I was taller, I started taking pride in my short stature. If most guys are taller than me, then my short height makes me stand out more.......it makes me unique....just like Wolverine!! lol.

So....when they finally had the chance to bring Wolverine to the big screen, I was extremely disappointed that they cast a TALL actor to play this SHORT bad a** character.

Would you hire a short 5'3" actor to portray a tall 6'2" character? No, you wouldn't.

Would you hire a white actor to portray a prominent black character? No, you wouldn't.

A character's height ( like race ) is an important aspect of that character, especially when that character was INTENTIONALLY given that height.

Wolverine was intentionally made a short character. If they wanted him to be a tall character, they would have made him tall just like all the other typical male heros.

While I have yet to see Watchmen, I respect Snyder for casting a short actor, Jackie Earle Haley, to play a short character, Rorschach.

Too bad they didn't do the same for Wolverine.......

Again, sorry for the rant.......but for me, this is a big deal.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #236
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

Hey that's your opinion man.

But if you can tell me a good actor who can be believably psycho and menacing and is under 5ft 5 then I'll give you a cookie.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #237
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

But if you can tell me a good actor who can be believably psycho and menacing and is under 5ft 5 then I'll give you a cookie.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #238
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ace of Knaves View Post

Is it a warm and delicious chocolate chip cookie??

In regards to the right short actor to play Wolverine, I have no idea. But, that's not my job. That's the job of the director and the ppl in charge of making the movie.

I'm sure, if they really looked hard enough, if they really wanted to stay as faithful to the comics as possible, they could have found someone with a more appropriate height for Wolverine.

But, this is Singer and Fox we're talking about. Given what Singer did in X1, X2, and Superman Returns, and given what Fox and co did with Deadpool in Origins, they don't really have a good track record of staying "faithful" to the source material.......sigh.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #239
Ace of Knaves
Banned User

But see, I look at the height issue as a superficial thing. Something that is just on the surface.

Same as what they did to Deadpool. I know Deadpool inside out, as you can probably guess. And in essence, he wasn't really that much different from the comics really. The stuff on the surface was different with the eye lasers and hand katanas and all that. But he was still a victim of experimentation (just like in the comics) he still ended up dead(just like the comics) and he came back to life (just like the comics).

Wolverines personality was still pretty spot on in X-1 and X-2 I thought. That's all that really matters to me.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #240
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ace of Knaves View Post
But see, I look at the height issue as a superficial thing. Something that is just on the surface.

Same as what they did to Deadpool. I know Deadpool inside out, as you can probably guess. And in essence, he wasn't really that much different from the comics really. The stuff on the surface was different with the eye lasers and hand katanas and all that. But he was still a victim of experimentation (just like in the comics) he still ended up dead(just like the comics) and he came back to life (just like the comics).

Wolverines personality was still pretty spot on in X-1 and X-2 I thought. That's all that really matters to me.
If they had cast a short actor ( say, 5'7" and under ) to play Wade Wilson/Deadpool, and kept everything as you described above, would you still have been ok with it?

IOW....would you have been ok with a short Wade Wilson/Deadpool running around on screen?

I guess......it's all a matter of perspective.

I guess.....as a short guy myself, the whole height issue is much more "personal" for me........

For me, the Wolverine in the movies was very different from the Wolverine I know in the comics. Despite the height issue, I always felt Jackman played Wolverine too "soft," even in X1 and X2 ( even though he was better in those ).

And, I'll give one more example on this subject, using the reverse situation.

Would fans have been ok with a short actor playing Sabretooth? Probably not.

Sabretooth, like his namesake, is supposed to be big, tall, and menacing ( He's 6'6" in the comics, I believe ). Naturally, you would want a tall actor, 6' and above, to play him.

However, let's say that, in X1 and Origins, they cast a short/average size actor ( say 5'8" and under ) to play Sabretooth.

Even if that actor absolutely nailed Victor Creed/Sabretooth in terms of personality and behavior, even if he was absolutely spot on and brilliant in his portrayal as a cold-blooded, savage, menacing psychopath, would fans have been ok with him?

Would fans have been ok with a short Sabretooth?.........a Sabretooth who was shorter than most of the X-men and Team X members?.......a Sabretooth who was towered over by Jackman's 6'2" Wolverine???

I'm pretty sure fans would NOT have been ok with that. There would have been uproar and outrage. They would have seriously questioned the judgement of the director, producer, and rest of the creative team for casting a short actor to play Sabretooth.

Just as you shouldn't cast a short actor to play Sabretooth, you shouldn't cast a tall actor to play Wolverine.......

Disney Lover and Proud!!

Last edited by X Knight; 07-24-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #241
Panthro
Goodbye Mr. Ramis...

I'm kind of done with this whole incarnation of the X-Men in general. But I imagine Jackman will probably continue to play the part until he either gets too old, too greedy or the franchise crashes so badly that Fox will have no choice but to put it on a backburner (even though that risks losing the rights back to Fox). If they did recast him for whatever reason I'm not sure I'd care, given that I've never liked Wolverine and always found myself preferring Jackman in his non-Wolverine roles (but before you ask, no, I do not like Van Helsing).

We'll probably never see a guy who is exactly 5'3" play Wolverine in live action (just how often do 5'3" guys get the good roles anyway?); the most realistic expectation we could have would be for someone in the 5'8"-5'11" range.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #242
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Nothing that went wrong in any of the X-Men movies was Jackman's fault.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #243
Be Snikt-Happy
Im changing Daken

I used to hate him as Wolverine. But really its Fox's fault.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #244
The Cocreator
Side-Kick

A new wolverine? Not yet, he still looks the part, i'll only want a new actor for wolverine if they reboot the franshise, until then, no.

The Cocreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #245
Hellion
He's Not Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Knaves View Post
People still moaning about the height?
10, (actually, getting close to 11) now years later and still lol...

I do think its time for Jackman to hang up Logan's boots, 5 films centered around Wolverine...some good memories and can't wait for The Wolverine...I've enjoyed all the X-Films so far, but I think Hugh has run his course as the character...

What I want Fox to do is Keep Wolverine and X-Men separate, I wouldn't mind Jackman staying on maybe in a producer capacity, but after The Wolverine hits theaters I wouldn't mind a reboot of the character...

...with that who would be an ideal Logan if or when Hugh decides to retire his version of the character?

Last edited by Hellion; 02-19-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #246
Panthro
Goodbye Mr. Ramis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
...with that who would be an ideal Logan if or when Hugh decides to retire his version of the character?
Someone who stands under 5'11".

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #247
x-fan
Side-Kick

Christian Kane, Currently playing Eliot on leverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
10, (actually, getting close to 11) now years later and still lol...

I do think its time for Jackman to hang up Logan's boots, 5 films centered around Wolverine...some good memories and can't wait for The Wolverine...I've enjoyed all the X-Films so far, but I think Hugh has run his course as the character...

What I want Fox to do is Keep Wolverine and X-Men separate, I wouldn't mind Jackman staying on maybe in a producer capacity, but after The Wolverine hits theaters I wouldn't mind a reboot of the character...

x-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #248
Wolverine1988
Side-Kick

Gary Sinise has always been a perfect look for Wolverine and certatinly can play the attitude for him as well, he would just need to bulk up a lot.

IDK the Wolverine movie certaintly left a bad taste in my mouth for Jackmans Wolverine, but he was so good in x1 and x2 and to an extent at times in x3 so i am hoping that XMO Wolverine was just a fluke .

Wolverine1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #249
Wefflehouse
Frick-frack

The problem I have with Jackman's Wolverine as it stands now, is the fact that I can clearly see the executive's hands directing the character, Jackman has become a mouthpiece for Fox and he seems to truly believe that the fact that Wolverine is in a film (no matter the quality), that makes fans happy.

I like Jackman and I loved the way he played Wolverine in X1 and X2. But then he changed, the character changed and all we got was crap coming from his general direction.

Wefflehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:46 AM   #250
Shpati
Side-Kick

Jackman is perfect. The directors and writers are the ones who make him soft and boring, instead of Classic Wolverine.

Plus his height is not really an issue to me. Yea he is tall. But on the real big screen, it would not make sense if he was really 5 foot 3 inches, or even 5 foot 6 inches. That is too short. Comic book movies are not suppose to follow the comics 100 percent. They did a great job with X1 and 2.

Shpati is offline   Reply With Quote